Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 148

Thread: OT-LSC Baseball

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,121
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    53967

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    WT pitcher Joe Corbett, LSC pitcher of the year, turned in a gem today against Kingsville. 2-0 shutout, 5 hits, 3 walks, 13 strike-outs. He became the winningest pitcher in WT history.

    Buffs play Cameron for the LSC crown.
    LSC Tournament Championship.

    Angelo State is the 2019 LSC Conference Champs.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,593
    Rep Power
    640471

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    LSC Tournament Championship.

    Angelo State is the 2019 LSC Conference Champs.
    For the automatic qualifier to the NCAA tournament.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,277
    Rep Power
    174549

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    LSC Tournament Championship.

    Angelo State is the 2019 LSC Conference Champs.
    IMO I wish tourney championships would just go away in all sports which use them. I've never understood why a team who might have a down weekend not get the conferences ultimate recognition. And on the flip side, a team who might be middle or the lower end of the pack do very well and receive special recognition. Then they turn around and lay a big egg in whatever national tourney they get an auto invite which potentialy leaves out a better team who during the balance of the season did better record wise and head to head against team teams the tourney champ didn't do so well against which might include the tourney champs too. And besides why the LSC goes with the single elimination format is questionable in the first place because most baseball playoff or post season formats call for double elimination type events. Even most high schools opt to play three game series unless a team that wins the coin flip doesn't have a good pitching staff or they have one good arm. That team will automattically go for a one gamer in hopes of pulling off the win and many powerhouses have fallen due to this strategy. But eventually down the road that team will get exposed as well.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Amarillo
    Posts
    2,967
    Rep Power
    15620

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    IMO I wish tourney championships would just go away in all sports which use them. I've never understood why a team who might have a down weekend not get the conferences ultimate recognition. And on the flip side, a team who might be middle or the lower end of the pack do very well and receive special recognition. Then they turn around and lay a big egg in whatever national tourney they get an auto invite which potentialy leaves out a better team who during the balance of the season did better record wise and head to head against team teams the tourney champ didn't do so well against which might include the tourney champs too. And besides why the LSC goes with the single elimination format is questionable in the first place because most baseball playoff or post season formats call for double elimination type events. Even most high schools opt to play three game series unless a team that wins the coin flip doesn't have a good pitching staff or they have one good arm. That team will automattically go for a one gamer in hopes of pulling off the win and many powerhouses have fallen due to this strategy. But eventually down the road that team will get exposed as well.
    My guess is that the tournaments "may" be a $ maker for the D1 major conferences & major sports. So if D1 does it then D2 has to do it in order to stay viable with the student athletes having the same experience opportunities. I know that the 12 team BB tournament scenario for 2020 in the new LSC was driven by giving each team & players the same odds of being able to experience a conference playoff opportunity - don't think it is NCAA driven, but know the AD's are sensitive to the math on that issue.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,593
    Rep Power
    640471

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    WT polished off Cameron, 11-1, to win the LSC baseball tournament. I imagine Angelo will still be the 1 seed and host next week.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,561
    Rep Power
    55140

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    WT polished off Cameron, 11-1, to win the LSC baseball tournament. I imagine Angelo will still be the 1 seed and host next week.
    2 seed, but still hosting. WT has to go to Mesa, which is where ASU has won everytime they have made it to the world series. Tough POD for WT:Mesa, Mines, and WT. Equally tough for ASU: ASU, LCU, and Rogers St (AQ for winning the heartland tourney)
    I've yet to see the schedule, but I read somewhere that ASU plays at 2 and 7 on Friday.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,593
    Rep Power
    640471

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    2 seed, but still hosting. WT has to go to Mesa, which is where ASU has won everytime they have made it to the world series. Tough POD for WT:Mesa, Mines, and WT. Equally tough for ASU: ASU, LCU, and Rogers St (AQ for winning the heartland tourney)
    I've yet to see the schedule, but I read somewhere that ASU plays at 2 and 7 on Friday.
    I think WT plays Mines Thur night.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,561
    Rep Power
    55140

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I think WT plays Mines Thur night.
    These 3 team brackets are weird. I know that they base the number of regional qualifiers based on the total number of participants in the region, but dang sure would have made the bracket more user friendly if they would have added 2 more teams.

    Also, I pulled up the bracket on the NCAA's website, and there are no times listed. They say all times are eastern, but there aren't any actual game times listed, at least when I checked

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,121
    Rep Power
    53967

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    WT had an interesting game against Mesa, had the lead 7-3....then Mesa bats exploded. WT lost 13-10 and are out.

    Congrats to WT on a good season

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,121
    Rep Power
    53967

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    BIG CONGRATS to Angelo State on winning the South Central Region Two Championship!!!

    Now Angelo State hosts Colorado Mesa on Friday & Saturday in San Angelo for the Super Regional Championship.

    #GoRams

  11. #131
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wall, TX
    Posts
    9,941
    Rep Power
    14421

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    BIG CONGRATS to Angelo State on winning the South Central Region Two Championship!!!

    Now Angelo State hosts Colorado Mesa on Friday & Saturday in San Angelo for the Super Regional Championship.

    #GoRams
    RSU had to be the worst defensive team I have seen. Not error prone, just slow and clumsy.

    Offense was a different story. Those guys could knock the Schlitz off the ball. ASU forced them to use their entire bull pen twice in one day.

    Mesa won the right to host but they have the JUCO world series in Grand Junction next week.
    Last edited by AngeloFan; 05-19-2019 at 02:38 PM.

  12. Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloFan View Post
    RSU had to be the worst defensive team I have seen. Not error prone, just slow and clumsy.

    Offense was a different story. Those guys could knock the Schlitz off the ball. ASU forced them to use their entire bull pen twice in one day.

    Mesa won the right to host but they have the JUCO world series in Grand Junction next week.
    Who would be stupid enough to schedule a JUCO tournament at home during NCAA postseason?
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

  13. #133
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wall, TX
    Posts
    9,941
    Rep Power
    14421

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by JavsFan View Post
    Who would be stupid enough to schedule a JUCO tournament at home during NCAA postseason?
    Difference is that ASU did it to themselves. The JUCO WS is sponsored by the city/CofC. Mesa is not involved.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,121
    Rep Power
    53967

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by JavsFan View Post
    Who would be stupid enough to schedule a JUCO tournament at home during NCAA postseason?
    RIGHT?

    In THIS case it gives Angelo State home field advantage!!

    This should be a very good series.

    #GoRams

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,121
    Rep Power
    53967

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Weather for Friday & Saturday is high 80's, breezy, and very humid.

    Wonder if the humidity will effect the fellas from Mesa?

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,561
    Rep Power
    55140

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Weather for Friday & Saturday is high 80's, breezy, and very humid.

    Wonder if the humidity will effect the fellas from Mesa?
    Heck if it is anything like it was this past weekend, the humidity will affect me. You could cut the air with a knife this past weekend. And it is feeling like that again today.

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,244
    Rep Power
    72957

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Crazy how that worked out for ASU lol.

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,561
    Rep Power
    55140

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    I doubt Grand Junction votes to host the JUCO world series next year (or when their current term is up). This is the first year that the D2 has gone to the regional and super regional format. In prior years, the World Series would be this coming week so it wouldn't be a big deal to Mesa, but yes that should be a huge advantage for ASU. We have proven it is difficult to beat us at home 2 out of 3 times this year.

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,121
    Rep Power
    53967

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    I doubt Grand Junction votes to host the JUCO world series next year (or when their current term is up). This is the first year that the D2 has gone to the regional and super regional format. In prior years, the World Series would be this coming week so it wouldn't be a big deal to Mesa, but yes that should be a huge advantage for ASU. We have proven it is difficult to beat us at home 2 out of 3 times this year.
    Lets hope this holds true this weekend. Mesa did do a number on WT pitchers ..which makes me a bit concerned. It appears that strong pitching performances, defense, and conditioning will be the keys to victory for both teams.

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,561
    Rep Power
    55140

    Default Re: OT-LSC Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Lets hope this holds true this weekend. Mesa did do a number on WT pitchers ..which makes me a bit concerned. It appears that strong pitching performances, defense, and conditioning will be the keys to victory for both teams.
    I was surprised as well as how bad Mesa beat up on Joe Corbett. And this is not an excuse or anything like that, but the park Mesa plays in leads itself to tons of runs. Mesa scores almost 1.5 runs/game fewer on the road as they do at home. It will be difficult for sure this weekend, but I like our chances. Related, ASU scores .5runs/game more at home than they do on the road.

    Although, the last two trips we have made to the World Series were after winning the regional at Mesa

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •