Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elite Eight Matchups Set

Default Re: Elite Eight Matchups Set

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    The only coach who would qualify to apply would be Brown since he has been a head coach and none of the others have been. The same would apply to Malvik as well if he follows the same formula. Not sold on Eisner either, he lost a number of games at the end to. There are some good players coming back but if you don't have a great recruiter they don't get the support for the players they have.
    I’m afraid Eisner lost me in the first Wayne game when the need was to protect the rim in a pass and tip situation and he sent out five short guards. Still trying to figure that one out.

2. Default Re: Elite Eight Matchups Set

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Aside from completely missing the joke (as Augieholic noted), I'd be remiss not to mention that I think most Augie fans feel pretty good about the direction and future of Augie's program, in spite of taking a slight "step back" for a couple of years. Other than the Bearcats, I don't know a ton of teams who don't have a couple of less-than-National-Championship-caliber years after winning it all. In the three years since winning it, we made the Regional once (and lost to the eventual National Champion), missed the Regional, and then narrowly missed it this past season. There are a decent number of teams in our region who would gladly take those results, so I'm not crushed that those are considered "step back" years for the Vikings.

That being said, I'd love to see (and expect to see) the Vikings make some more noteworthy postseason waves starting again these next few years.
    I agree with you. Considering that very few teams have won it all, only NW does meet the standard of making the regional every year after they won it all. With Northern advancing to the championship game last year, We'll see if they can stay in the conversation of having a national championship contender one year and not stepping back after that. They are off to a good start. Ask the UCM guys how hard it is. They would have loved to be close to advancing to the regional every year. They didn't even make the conference tournament this year. I would love to see MSSU at least join the conversation by being a national title contender, but we have a long ways to go still. Like you said, lots of schools would love to have the track record that Augie has had the last few years.

3. Default Re: Elite Eight Matchups Set

Quote Originally Posted by mosofan1 View Post
    I agree with you. Considering that very few teams have won it all, only NW does meet the standard of making the regional every year after they won it all. With Northern advancing to the championship game last year, We'll see if they can stay in the conversation of having a national championship contender one year and not stepping back after that. They are off to a good start. Ask the UCM guys how hard it is. They would have loved to be close to advancing to the regional every year. They didn't even make the conference tournament this year. I would love to see MSSU at least join the conversation by being a national title contender, but we have a long ways to go still. Like you said, lots of schools would love to have the track record that Augie has had the last few years.
    A long ways to go? Had Northwest missed two fewer threes and a few more of ours fell in, we might have beat the Bearcats and advanced to the Elite Eight. Heck, if Christian Bundy wouldn't have hurt his Achilles, who knows? The kid played great in our wins over Northwest last year.

That doesn't seem to me like "a long ways". That's a very small amount of "ifs" in the grand scheme of things. I think we are close.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    A long ways to go? Had Northwest missed two fewer threes and a few more of ours fell in, we might have beat the Bearcats and advanced to the Elite Eight. Heck, if Christian Bundy wouldn't have hurt his Achilles, who knows? The kid played great in our wins over Northwest last year.

That doesn't seem to me like "a long ways". That's a very small amount of "ifs" in the grand scheme of things. I think we are close.
    Totally agree. In fact, I am choosing MSSU as preseason favorites to win the MIAA next year, with what you have returning.

A long way off? Any other sweet 16 teams retuning their starting 5 and all but one player f/ their roster? Probably not many ...

6. Default Re: Elite Eight Matchups Set

I mean NW returns 4 of the 5 starters. And these freshman will only get better going into next year. And add in a possible transfer coming in. No sources saying anything but wouldn’t be shocked to see former Lafayette standout and transfer from Lehigh, take a loooong look at NW this offseason. He would step into Joey’s spot and be able to score like he can.

Quote Originally Posted by NWMOBearcat23 View Post
    I mean NW returns 4 of the 5 starters. And these freshman will only get better going into next year. And add in a possible transfer coming in. No sources saying anything but wouldn’t be shocked to see former Lafayette standout and transfer from Lehigh, take a loooong look at NW this offseason. He would step into Joey’s spot and be able to score like he can.
    Heard he is looking to get closer to home and play for a winning program. Combine that with recent Lafayette players Bryston Williams, Xavier Kurth, and now Diego playing at NW and you have to think NW will be right there if he is indeed transferring.

Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    Heard he is looking to get closer to home and play for a winning program. Combine that with recent Lafayette players Bryston Williams, Xavier Kurth, and now Diego playing at NW and you have to think NW will be right there if he is indeed transferring.
    Could be he wants to wait another week and then decide if he'd rather be at UMKC. At least 8-9 open scholarships, a few young, former starters from NWMSU, and a brand new former-NWMSU coach with plenty of consistent success could make for a pretty appealing situation in Kansas City for this potential transfer you speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    Is there a reason you guys aren't calling Caleb Bennett by his name? Hes a person with feelings, not an object.

Also it appears he tore his ACL in February.
    http://www.newspressnow.com/sports/l...2da5261ad.html

Quote Originally Posted by Augieholic View Post
    Is there a reason you guys aren't calling Caleb Bennett by his name? Hes a person with feelings, not an object.

Also it appears he tore his ACL in February.
    http://www.newspressnow.com/sports/l...2da5261ad.html
    Not sure how the English language works up there in the Dakotas but "he" references a person and not an object down here in Missouri.

11. Default Re: Elite Eight Matchups Set

I seriously thought I put his name in my post. Whoops. But no he won’t transfer to UMKC. He’d have to sit a year before playing. So that’s probably not in his plans. Cause we all know if he transfers down a level he could play right away. So I expect him to go D2 in the area. And Northwest only makes sense. With what was said above. He played with Diego for a couple years, so they have that relationship already. I think Caleb fits really well with what the Bearcats are doing.

I think this little nugget from the story tells us where he is headed:

Along with playing for a coaching staff who is “upfront” and “genuine,” Bennett hopes to join a winning culture, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Could be he wants to wait another week and then decide if he'd rather be at UMKC. At least 8-9 open scholarships, a few young, former starters from NWMSU, and a brand new former-NWMSU coach with plenty of consistent success could make for a pretty appealing situation in Kansas City for this potential transfer you speak of.
    Why would a ‘NWMSU coach’ take a step backwards like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    I think this little nugget from the story tells us where he is headed:

Along with playing for a coaching staff who is “upfront” and “genuine,” Bennett hopes to join a winning culture, as well.
    Perfect description of West Texas State.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeman View Post
    Totally agree. In fact, I am choosing MSSU as preseason favorites to win the MIAA next year, with what you have returning.

Local officials credit the prevention of flooding in Elwood, Kansas to Herculean sandbagging efforts by volunteers. Thank you for your service, Thepeman!

16. Default Re: Elite Eight Matchups Set

This is why I say we have a long ways to go. We had a great year. I think we will have another great year next year, and will be even better than this year. But NW will be better too, as will other teams in the region, so the bar keeps getting set even higher. We were 8-5 on the road and 4-3 on neutral courts. We lost to NW by an average of 16 points, and were only one "if" away from being eliminated in the first round of the regional. NW has had a special year that will be hard to duplicate. But they are still the favorites, and we can't be complacent and think we will catch them without improving a lot. We must have energy 40 minutes a game. We must play better defense the whole game. We must improve our basketball IQ and not make silly fouls or just settle for 3-pointers without passing the ball around and making the defense work. We have to be mentally tougher away from Joplin. We have a great team, and have another great season in front of us. When we are clicking on all cylinders, we are as scary as any team around. But we have a long ways to go to be able to do it every night and to be a national title contender. But it is within reach with a lot of hard work and a few breaks.

17. Default Re: Elite Eight Matchups Set

MOSO will be better too. They had a very good year. And will get better. I was impressed with them. Had a great run in the regional tournament. Any other region, them and Southern Nazarene may have made the Elite 8. I’m high on MOSO. They will be back next year. Any chance Boshee leaves for a bigger job?

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    Local officials credit the prevention of flooding in Elwood, Kansas to Herculean sandbagging efforts by volunteers. Thank you for your service, Thepeman!
    *chuckle*

19. Default Re: Elite Eight Matchups Set

Any chance Boshee leaves for a bigger job?
    I certainly hope he doesn't. His wife grew up here locally and she has a lot of family here. They have a couple of young daughters, and I think having her family here locally gives her a lot of support when he is on the road for games and recruiting. I am hoping that the pull of her family and this being her home area will keep them here. The Joplin area is a really great place to raise a family.

I seriously thought I put his name in my post. Whoops. But no he won’t transfer to UMKC. He’d have to sit a year before playing. So that’s probably not in his plans. Cause we all know if he transfers down a level he could play right away. So I expect him to go D2 in the area. And Northwest only makes sense. With what was said above. He played with Diego for a couple years, so they have that relationship already. I think Caleb fits really well with what the Bearcats are doing.
    I too think and have heard that NWMSU is one of if not his top choice. I don’t think the sitting out a year would have anything to do with it, because depending on where he is in his recovery from his ACL, he/they could choose to use a redshirt a year anyway. If he’s fully healthy though, his experience and game would be a nice fit for the Cats and what they are losing. They have 2 seniors and Drew Blair left before the season... 3 openings and only 1 commit (unless I’ve missed one) as of right now, so it seems as if the stars could align quite nicely.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast