Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Coaching Carousel

Default Re: Offseason Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Basketball too...every hire after Miles has been promoted from within.

And we all know how much SDSU aspires to be like the Mighty Bison....
    Richman fortunate his team won summit tourney this year...not sure he was going to be back next year, but for, that tournament championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Richman fortunate his team won summit tourney this year...not sure he was going to be back next year, but for, that tournament championship.
    Exactly right. I figured he was a goner but no one in these parts cares about basketball, much less Bison basketball. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Btech#3 View Post
    I don’t get all the fuss about Doty. He needs to solve the MIAA first. Boschee and Ballard are quite a ways ahead of Doty and they have neither one won a MIAA title. I think Doty will do really good at ESU but I think he needs to prove it at the high D-2 level first to even be considered. McCollum may have to go be an assistant at the D-1 level in order to get a shot. I don’t agree with that but maybe he needs to have the recruiting experience at the D-1 level before someone will hire him. We all know he can coach. He has nothing left to prove in that area. Recruiting to a low-major or mid-major is a big challenge and kind of tricky.
    The difference between Doty and Boschee and Ballard is that ESU was dead last in the MIAA the year before he took over, hadn't had a winning season since 2014 and twice missed the MIAA Tournament in that time. During that time Doty was winning three national championships at two different levels. This year the best player that was set to return for ESU somehow ended up at West Texas and Doty still had ESU wearing a white jersey in their first round game of the MIAA Tournament and then in the quarterfinals the Hornets played NWMSU closer than anyone else has in the post season so far.
    By comparison:
    Washburn was coming off a 20-10 season and had just about everyone coming back led by an All-American in Brady Skeens.
    MSSU was 13-15 the year before he took over but only two years removed from a 22-8 season that included an NCAA Tourney berth that he was an associate head coach for.

This isn't meant to put down either of those guys because I really think they are both good coaches. Just trying to explain some of the fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    That seems like it would be a mistake. Winning percentage is right in the range of where Miles and Phillips both were, and he now has two Summit tournament championships in 5 years. What more do people want?

That seems like it would be a mistake. Winning percentage is right in the range of where Miles and Phillips both were, and he now has two Summit tournament championships in 5 years. What more do people want?
    Team hasn’t been very good for past three years or so. Just built new arena and don’t believe attendance has been very good. Not saying whether it would be right or wrong, just a rumor that had been floating around.

Time will tell but I have my doubts. They were often awful this season but got hot during tournament which is all it really takes. Kind of like AA basketball in SD. At one point you could be 0-18, go 1-1 in district, win the regional game and then win three at state to win a state title at 5-19. Never happened but regardless at the least could be 2-19 just to get to state.

They are young so could have something going but the few I have found that follow feel he is way over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Btech#3 View Post
    I don’t get all the fuss about Doty.
    100% this.

Doty's tweets are super extra, a sampling:

-he claimed LeBron James "refuses to be coached" despite never coaching him and said an NBA team is not good enough with him as their #1 option
    -claimed that assistants being promoted when the head coach takes a different job should be the norm at all levels

Quote Originally Posted by Augieholic View Post
    100% this.

-he claimed LeBron James "refuses to be coached" despite never coaching him and said an NBA team is not good enough with him as their #1 option
    -claimed that assistants being promoted when the head coach takes a different job should be the norm at all levels
    Well, while I agree on Doty....he isn't exactly wrong, at least on the 1st part

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Well, while I agree on Doty....he isn't exactly wrong, at least on the 1st part
    What is the first part? That LeBron "refuses to be coached"?

What is the first part? That LeBron "refuses to be coached"?
    Well yeah, it's kind of been commonplace for anyone who has a thought on Lebron for quite some time now. Also, even I tweet an opinion on Twitter, kind of what it is for. Doesnt mean I am an expert.

The assistant coach thing I can understand if you have a solid one and want to maybe keep from a big turnover on roster, but being an assistant doesnt mean you are qualified to be the head coach...THAT I can attest to, haha

11. Default Re: Offseason Coaching Carousel

Doty wouldn't be a head coach at Emporia right now if the Hornets followed his advice.

100% this.

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Well yeah, it's kind of been commonplace for anyone who has a thought on Lebron for quite some time now. Also, even I tweet an opinion on Twitter, kind of what it is for. Doesnt mean I am an expert.

The assistant coach thing I can understand if you have a solid one and want to maybe keep from a big turnover on roster, but being an assistant doesnt mean you are qualified to be the head coach...THAT I can attest to, haha
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    Doty wouldn't be a head coach at Emporia right now if the Hornets followed his advice.
    Here is the actual tweet:
    https://twitter.com/CoachDoty/status...79447300583426
    And here is the actual text of it:
    "Multiple NCAA Division I assistants were named head coaches today after their boss left for upgraded jobs at different schools. This needs to become the norm, at all levels, in all sports. When success is high, continuity is the answer."
    The key part is "...when success is high, continuity is the answer." Safe to say success was not high with the Hornets when Coach V left. ESU was DFL in the MIAA and had not made it to the quarterfinals of the MIAA tournament since 2014.
    I think that if you are a successful program you need to look at what has made you successful and see if you feel if any of the assistants on staff can continue &/or build on that. But if you're losing you probably need to hit the restart button.

And the thing is, I feel there are only a handful of coaches that can be really successful no matter where they go. A lot of it has to do with the culture and resources of the school as much as anything. Don Doucette won a national championship at UMass-Lowell that, when he was hired, was one of the worst jobs in the country, but couldn't find success at Central Missouri one of the most resource rich schools in the nation.

Doty is a self promoter. He will bolt ESU if he gets any shot to do so. He thinks he is going to turn anything he touches into gold. I don't buy it. But he is good a promoting himself and program like i said. Lets see what he does but if i am in the MIAA I am not worried he is coaching in the league. If anything enjoy and embrace the circus!

Upper Iowa hires a new women's coach: https://uiupeacocks.com/news/2019/4/...all-coach.aspx

Don't know much about him, seems to have some good experience as an assistant coach at D1 level and a couple of years as head coach in D3.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
    Upper Iowa hires a new women's coach: https://uiupeacocks.com/news/2019/4/...all-coach.aspx

Don't know much about him, seems to have some good experience as an assistant coach at D1 level and a couple of years as head coach in D3.
    Hopefully he can do something. Back to back 0-22 conference seasons are about as bad as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    Hopefully he can do something. Back to back 0-22 conference seasons are about as bad as it gets.
    Yep - only way is up, been brutal to watch the last few years, just not competing at all.

Is Kim's loyal assistant, Jon Gilliam, no longer on the Pitt State coaching staff? I heard the Hot Head wasn't allowed at the enshrinement for the National Championship team.

Quote Originally Posted by MuleLove View Post
    Is Kim's loyal assistant, Jon Gilliam, no longer on the Pitt State coaching staff? I heard the Hot Head wasn't allowed at the enshrinement for the National Championship team.
    He must be gone. He's not listed as a coach on the PSU basketball website. Any idea what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
    He must be gone. He's not listed as a coach on the PSU basketball website. Any idea what happened?
    Not sure if you're joking or not but it's pretty well known he allegedly used a racial slur towards a UCM assistant and had been suspended pending an investigation. I read he was resigning on his own but....

Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    Not sure if you're joking or not but it's pretty well known he allegedly used a racial slur towards a UCM assistant and had been suspended pending an investigation. I read he was resigning on his own but....
    No, I was not aware of that incident.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast