Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 SMSU Mustangs: Rebuilding the Dream

Contribute to D2

Default 2019-20 SMSU Mustangs: Rebuilding the Dream

Might as well get this thing started, as I'm already looking forward to this next "cycle" for the program. We're coming out of probably the most successful cycle in program history, which may seem weird to say because we didn't make an Elite 8 like we have twice before.

When you look at next year and trying to project rotation players, it's going to be a young group at this point. Kenny Byers, Nick Dufault and Braedan Hanson will be juniors and the veterans of the group. Grant Kramer played well down the stretch and will probably be in the rotation again as a sophomore. Jake Phipps, Brian Dayman and Kaden Evans all redshirted this year and will compete for playing time.

Then there's the incoming class. Right now we have five committed, but I'm guessing a few more will be coming before the season, whether it's more high schoolers or a transfer. A few will probably get thrown into the rotation right away, but most will likely redshirt next year. Early favorites to play right away would probably be Cliff McCray and Sam Schwartz, since we'll need a lead guard to come from somewhere. I could see Logan Benson play immediately, as he has the toughness and the type of game that could earn his way into a role.

Looking forward to watching this group develop!

Default Re: 2019-20 SMSU Mustangs: Rebuilding the Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Might as well get this thing started, as I'm already looking forward to this next "cycle" for the program. We're coming out of probably the most successful cycle in program history, which may seem weird to say because we didn't make an Elite 8 like we have twice before.

When you look at next year and trying to project rotation players, it's going to be a young group at this point. Kenny Byers, Nick Dufault and Braedan Hanson will be juniors and the veterans of the group. Grant Kramer played well down the stretch and will probably be in the rotation again as a sophomore. Jake Phipps, Brian Dayman and Kaden Evans all redshirted this year and will compete for playing time.

Then there's the incoming class. Right now we have five committed, but I'm guessing a few more will be coming before the season, whether it's more high schoolers or a transfer. A few will probably get thrown into the rotation right away, but most will likely redshirt next year. Early favorites to play right away would probably be Cliff McCray and Sam Schwartz, since we'll need a lead guard to come from somewhere. I could see Logan Benson play immediately, as he has the toughness and the type of game that could earn his way into a role.

Looking forward to watching this group develop!
    Okay...give me a way too early prediction for next year mustang team record....I won’t hold you to it :)

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Okay...give me a way too early prediction for next year mustang team record....I won’t hold you to it :)
    Sub-.500. Probably a few games worse than we finished this year in conference play.

I predict 15-12 overall

12-10 in the league

middle of the pack

The freshmen are going to have to be players 2-3 of them between redshirts and trues

SMSU has its new president-designate. Dr. Kumara Jayasuriya has been the the provost and vice president of academic affairs and a math professor at West Virginia State University since 2014.

Will be interesting to hear how highly he values athletics.

I’m definitely going to expect Byers to be our guy.. can’t see many others having too much impact. Hopefully I’m pleasantly surprised

Quote Originally Posted by RollStangs View Post
    I’m definitely going to expect Byers to be our guy.. can’t see many others having too much impact. Hopefully I’m pleasantly surprised
    The way Bigler talked about him in his last postgame interview with Swami, that certainly seems to be the case. Byers will be the guy.

SMSU has its new president-designate. Dr. Kumara Jayasuriya has been the the provost and vice president of academic affairs and a math professor at West Virginia State University since 2014.

Will be interesting to hear how highly he values athletics.
    Enrollment is down some -- not just us, but because we are smaller it bites more so he needs to get that fixed -- but one way as we have discussed a million times is to have good sports. Winona surged in the 90s and 2000s when they had their sports improvements

Augustana started this season with mostly freshman from a stellar recruiting class, although non one like Bruggeman and won 18 games so their is hope of a good start of a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Augustana started this season with mostly freshman from a stellar recruiting class, although non one like Bruggeman and won 18 games so their is hope of a good start of a good start.
    yep. Really good class. Growing pains but potential

One big difference is we usually like to redshirt most of our class. A couple will play, but most will redshirt next year. Have heard we're still looking into transfer market, which could speed process somewhat.

Sounds like Miles has been fired by Nebraska. Hopefully he can find a new program to lead so you boys can play exhibition games against a D1 school still

13. Default Re: 2019-20 SMSU Mustangs: Rebuilding the Dream

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy21 View Post
    Sounds like Miles has been fired by Nebraska. Hopefully he can find a new program to lead so you boys can play exhibition games against a D1 school still
    Yup. Tis the truth. It was the first thing I saw when I woke up this morning. Here's his tweet from yesterday, it's a thread:

It was kind of neat having Nebraska to play on those couple of occasions. There was a buzz at the school for that 2014 game I remember, because Nebraska was ranked #25 at the time. Quite the game, from what I remember.

I recall the Stangs playing SDSU my first couple of years here, but they stopped shortly after. Was there any reason for that? I think in total since I started here as a part-timer way back in 2012, we've played 5 D-1 opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    Yup. Tis the truth. It was the first thing I saw when I woke up this morning. Here's his tweet from yesterday, it's a thread:

It was kind of neat having Nebraska to play on those couple of occasions. There was a buzz at the school for that 2014 game I remember, because Nebraska was ranked #25 at the time. Quite the game, from what I remember.

I recall the Stangs playing SDSU my first couple of years here, but they stopped shortly after. Was there any reason for that? I think in total since I started here as a part-timer way back in 2012, we've played 5 D-1 opponents.
    Other than saving on travel there is nothing to gain for any of the area D1s to play anyone around here so O wouldnt expect to see more of that. Typically it take a sort of connection to get those exhibitions. Don Meyer had an insane about of connections so that's why we had so many for awhile. Sunny had connections to lead to our game with Arizona State. Other than TCU, I dont see a road to us playing many more.

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Other than saving on travel there is nothing to gain for any of the area D1s to play anyone around here so O wouldnt expect to see more of that. Typically it take a sort of connection to get those exhibitions. Don Meyer had an insane about of connections so that's why we had so many for awhile. Sunny had connections to lead to our game with Arizona State. Other than TCU, I dont see a road to us playing many more.
    The connection with SDSU is being so close by, 60 miles away. The Mustangs played the Jacks 5 consecutive years at one point, but the games stopped after 2013. I heard they refused to schedule us after that. There were a number of games between SDSU and Wayne (no doubt the Nagy connection played a role), but those stopped in TJ's second year. Now SD Mines seems to be the repeated team of choice for some reason, with them still scheduling various other small schools in the region as well.

In the 5 years since SDSU, we've played Nebraska twice and Minnesota once. That's it on the D1 scheduling. I wonder if we might see Utah State on the schedule in the near future?

The connection with SDSU is being so close by, 60 miles away. The Mustangs played the Jacks 5 consecutive years at one point, but the games stopped after 2013. I heard they refused to schedule us after that. There were a number of games between SDSU and Wayne (no doubt the Nagy connection played a role), but those stopped in TJ's second year. Now SD Mines seems to be the repeated team of choice for some reason, with them still scheduling various other small schools in the region as well.

In the 5 years since SDSU, we've played Nebraska twice and Minnesota once. That's it on the D1 scheduling. I wonder if we might see Utah State on the schedule in the near future?
    When the Jacks were in their early years as D1 if I recall SMSU beat them a couple of times.

When the Jacks were in their early years as D1 if I recall SMSU beat them a couple of times.
    Once, in 2008 (Elite Eight year). But still played 5 more times after that.

18. Default Re: 2019-20 SMSU Mustangs: Rebuilding the Dream

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy21 View Post
    Hey, don't forget about the D1 in our own league we'll all get to play next year. When we play at the Pentagon, we should all get a Div. 1 style check. :)

Quote Originally Posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
    Hey, don't forget about the D1 in our own league we'll all get to play next year. When we play at the Pentagon, we should all get a Div. 1 style check. :)
    Great point!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast