Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarleton President is stepping down in August

Default Tarleton President is stepping down in August

https://www.tarleton.edu/scripts/pre...ay.asp?id=6008

Dr. Dottavio has been a great asset for the university. He has taken us places we never thought possible. He will go down as one of, if not the greatest president in the history of the school.

Thank you Dr. D!!!!

Default Re: Tarleton President is stepping down in August

The next president certainly has big shoes to fill.

Thanks Dr. Dottavio

That’s a big blow for Tarleton. I understand he was instrumental in the Fort Worth Campus and all the growth and revenue that has been coming into the school.

Definitely will be hard to replace him and keep the train rolling in the right direction.

Interested in what if anything changes

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpes88 View Post
    Interested in what if anything changes
    Shortterm? Likely nothing. His departure means Tarleton will probably stay course without little disruptions until a new hire can be identified, brought in, and then brought up to speed.

New President will need to define
    New Vision Statement
    New Strategic plan
    Accreditation Process

Dr. Dottavio's accomplishments mentioned in video-
    Expanded academic programs
    First PhD
    Ft Worth Campus
    New Engineering Building
    Football Stadium Expansion
    Adoption of Core Values
    Corp of Cadets
    Tarleton State Texan
    Texas State Bobcat

Quote Originally Posted by chrisattsu View Post
    Shortterm? Likely nothing. His departure means Tarleton will probably stay course without little disruptions until a new hire can be identified, brought in, and then brought up to speed.

New President will need to define
    New Vision Statement
    New Strategic plan
    Accreditation Process

Dr. Dottavio's accomplishments mentioned in video-
    Expanded academic programs
    First PhD
    Ft Worth Campus
    New Engineering Building
    Football Stadium Expansion
    Adoption of Core Values
    Corp of Cadets
    I was thinking long term

7. Default Re: Tarleton President is stepping down in August

I found it very interesting that Reisman was not part of the search committee for the new President. There are also some curious rumblings that Dottavio's "stepping down" was not exactly by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by gruesome View Post
    I found it very interesting that Reisman was not part of the search committee for the new President. There are also some curious rumblings that Dottavio's "stepping down" was not exactly by choice.
    How so? Seems to me with all he has accomplished at Tarleton plus the new Ft Worth campus slated to open this fall I would think you would want to hang onto him. Enrollment has grown at a whopping 69% since he took office.

I have no knowledge of what is going on in Tarleton, but as an academic I find a couple of things about the announcement unusual:

1. It is extremely rare for a sitting President to go back to a faculty position at the school unless leaving the Presidency was not his idea. It just doesn't happen very often.

2. He is leaving the Presidency in August which is an extremely quick turnaround to find someone at that level. If it is a planned retirement (again, see #1 above) then those usually take a good academic year, if not longer, to fill.

Of course, #2 might not be as big of a deal if the TAMU System President already knows who he wants to put into that position.

10. Default Re: Tarleton President is stepping down in August

If I remember correctly, the previous Tarleton president (McCabe) did the same thing...stepped down and returned to the classroom. Actually, looking at the history of Tarleton presidents, two of the last three former presidents have done just that. The other went on to be chancellor of the TAMU system. He returned to Tarleton for guest teaching spots if I remember correctly.

11. Default Re: Tarleton President is stepping down in August

Quote Originally Posted by texcap View Post
    I have no knowledge of what is going on in Tarleton, but as an academic I find a couple of things about the announcement unusual:

1. It is extremely rare for a sitting President to go back to a faculty position at the school unless leaving the Presidency was not his idea. It just doesn't happen very often.

2. He is leaving the Presidency in August which is an extremely quick turnaround to find someone at that level. If it is a planned retirement (again, see #1 above) then those usually take a good academic year, if not longer, to fill.

Of course, #2 might not be as big of a deal if the TAMU System President already knows who he wants to put into that position.
    This is an extremely valid point, but I think the System President already knows who he wants (to your point).

There are a lot of rumors circling around that I won't share here since they are just that. I think that the wrong person in Dottavio's circle may have said the wrong things to someone that got back to some of the TAMU System brass. With the AD not part of the hiring committee, it'll be interesting as well to see what the new President does about the athletic department.

I suspect that some of the higher-ups at Tarleton as well as the TAMU System may be growing weary of all of the Division I gung-ho that's been floating around for the last few years. I know some of the boosters are a little tired of it, but that doesn't account for all of them by any stretch of the imagination.

12. Default Re: Tarleton President is stepping down in August

Quote Originally Posted by Texas48 View Post
    If I remember correctly, the previous Tarleton president (McCabe) did the same thing...stepped down and returned to the classroom. Actually, looking at the history of Tarleton presidents, two of the last three former presidents have done just that. The other went on to be chancellor of the TAMU system. He returned to Tarleton for guest teaching spots if I remember correctly.
    You may be right. Barry Thompson was one of a kind and still very highly regarded at Tarleton.

Dr. D got the memo in the legend of Barry B. He was a student's president while representing the University on a massive scale with the expansions in the Ville and Ft. Worth. BIG shoes to fill whoever it is.

14. Default Re: Tarleton President is stepping down in August

Quote Originally Posted by wisdomgymrat View Post
    Dr. D got the memo in the legend of Barry B. He was a student's president while representing the University on a massive scale with the expansions in the Ville and Ft. Worth. BIG shoes to fill whoever it is.
    Big shoes to fill indeed. Dottavio certainly played the game and put on that student-focused front. I wonder what the next President's task will be. Tarleton has undergone undeniable growth over the last decade plus, increased enrollment, and built like crazy. With that comes a certain degree of maintenance and increasing the quality of the students who fill those buildings. Great numbers don't necessarily mean great quality. I would suspect that whoever comes in to take over for Dottavio will be tasked with maintaining and improving the level of students that come to Tarleton. I also hope, for the University's sake, that they put a Texan (read a person from the State of Texas) in that position.

Big shoes to fill indeed. Dottavio certainly played the game and put on that student-focused front. I wonder what the next President's task will be. Tarleton has undergone undeniable growth over the last decade plus, increased enrollment, and built like crazy. With that comes a certain degree of maintenance and increasing the quality of the students who fill those buildings. Great numbers don't necessarily mean great quality. I would suspect that whoever comes in to take over for Dottavio will be tasked with maintaining and improving the level of students that come to Tarleton. I also hope, for the University's sake, that they put a Texan (read a person from the State of Texas) in that position.
    Interesting take on upgrading the student body. Not sure who had the vision to bring Tarleton to Ft Worth but it was a brilliant move. DFW is the fastest growing metro area in the US and Ft Worth is closing in on a population of one million in the next 2-3 years. Tarrant County College system has an enrollment hovering around 50,000 that will need to go somewhere to complete their last two years.

I see Tarleton growing like North Texas in the next decade with a jump of 10,000 students or doubling their current size.

How the school and A&M handle this growing to fast problem is going to be an adventure. Hopefully the not to distant recent past of the A&M debacle of UT Arlington (former A&M school) will keep them from making the same mistakes that ultimately led to UTA severing ties.

A&M is weakly represented in Metro areas as far as undergraduate Universities are concerned. This a golden opportunity for both schools if managed properly.

16. Default Re: Tarleton President is stepping down in August

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Interesting take on upgrading the student body. Not sure who had the vision to bring Tarleton to Ft Worth but it was a brilliant move. DFW is the fastest growing metro area in the US and Ft Worth is closing in on a population of one million in the next 2-3 years. Tarrant County College system has an enrollment hovering around 50,000 that will need to go somewhere to complete their last two years.

I see Tarleton growing like North Texas in the next decade with a jump of 10,000 students or doubling their current size.

How the school and A&M handle this growing to fast problem is going to be an adventure. Hopefully the not to distant recent past of the A&M debacle of UT Arlington (former A&M school) will keep them from making the same mistakes that ultimately led to UTA severing ties.

A&M is weakly represented in Metro areas as far as undergraduate Universities are concerned. This a golden opportunity for both schools if managed properly.
    Yes, getting into DFW was one of the best moves for the university. There were exactly zero 4-year public institutions of higher education before Tarleton came to Fort Worth.

I have no idea whether or not Tarleton will pursue a higher quality of student, but it stands to reason that Dottavio's main mission was raising money and growing the student population. He had to build and get butts in the seats in those buildings, and those things were largely accomplished during his tenure. Now, my opinion is that they focus on a higher-level student that can graduate with a degree from TSU, matriculate into high paying fields, and start to give back to the University. Sam Houston was in the same boat about 10 years ago.

It'll be interesting to see what the school's focus is for the President moving forward. If they keep the idea of "student-focused" on the forefront, then that could mean any number of things not the least of which is focusing on improving those students as they arrive on campus and traverse the college experience.

Yes, getting into DFW was one of the best moves for the university. There were exactly zero 4-year public institutions of higher education before Tarleton came to Fort Worth.

I have no idea whether or not Tarleton will pursue a higher quality of student, but it stands to reason that Dottavio's main mission was raising money and growing the student population. He had to build and get butts in the seats in those buildings, and those things were largely accomplished during his tenure. Now, my opinion is that they focus on a higher-level student that can graduate with a degree from TSU, matriculate into high paying fields, and start to give back to the University. Sam Houston was in the same boat about 10 years ago.

It'll be interesting to see what the school's focus is for the President moving forward. If they keep the idea of "student-focused" on the forefront, then that could mean any number of things not the least of which is focusing on improving those students as they arrive on campus and traverse the college experience.
    Is the A&M system fully on board with keeping the Ft. Worth campus under the umbrella of Tarleton? Or will it eventually become an independent campus and become Texas A&M-Ft Worth?

A&M Kingsville had systems center in San Antonio until the legislature and the A&M System formed what is now Texas A&M- San Antonio. A&M has also recently opened what they call a higher education center down in McAllen which I bet one day down the road wiil become Texas A&M- McAllen or RGV.

A&M is late at the game with embracing the systems concept. But it appears under John Sharpe's leadership, they might be finally grasping what it means to plant the A&M flag all over the state. It's really a shame they didn't embrace the concept like their UT counterparts did decades ago and see it as a chance to expand on the brand and a collaboration between the mothership and the system schools instead of the "golly gee, I guess we will take on those south Texas schools if we have too" in order to pacify a few vocal members of the State Legislature like they did with us down here. And they treated us pretty much as the unattractive step children until just in the last decade or so.
    Last edited by LSC Fan; 04-25-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    Is the A&M system fully on board with keeping the Ft. Worth campus under the umbrella of Tarleton? Or will it eventually become an independent campus and become Texas A&M-Ft Worth?

A&M Kingsville had systems center in San Antonio until the legislature and the A&M System formed what is now Texas A&M- San Antonio. A&M has also recently opened what they call a higher education center down in McAllen which I bet one day down the road wiil become Texas A&M- McAllen or RGV.

A&M is late at the game with embracing the systems concept. But it appears under John Sharpe's leadership, they might be finally grasping what it means to plant the A&M flag all over the state. It's really a shame they didn't embrace the concept like their UT counterparts did decades ago and see it as a chance to expand on the brand and a collaboration between the mothership and the system schools instead of the "golly gee, I guess we will take on those south Texas schools if we have too" in order to pacify a few vocal members of the State Legislature like they did with us down here. And they treated us pretty much as the unattractive step children until just in the last decade or so.
    This has already happened with Tarleton if I am not mistaken. They started a center in Killeen that eventually became TAMU-Central Texas. However, that could have been planned from the start with that particular school.

Quote Originally Posted by texcap View Post
    This has already happened with Tarleton if I am not mistaken. They started a center in Killeen that eventually became TAMU-Central Texas. However, that could have been planned from the start with that particular school.
    I believe you are correct about the Kileen location. Tarleton needed to free up resources during that time frame. I am not so sure that the Ft Worth location will just be turned over without some sort of compensation. There a definitely a lot of wheels turning. I see this turning into a 4 year university some time in the next decade much like Texas A&M Texarkana the old ETSU Texarkana branch.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    I believe you are correct about the Kileen location. Tarleton needed to free up resources during that time frame. I am not so sure that the Ft Worth location will just be turned over without some sort of compensation. There a definitely a lot of wheels turning. I see this turning into a 4 year university some time in the next decade much like Texas A&M Texarkana the old ETSU Texarkana branch.
    From the planting the A&M name flag perspective, it would probably become Texas A&M- Fort Worth IF the A&M objective is to get the Fort Worth campus noticed beyond the Metroplex much like the UT system has done with UT Arlington and UT Dallas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast