Thread: Question about IUP Names

Default Question about IUP Names

So, now that I've watched these games and listened to your feed (and as I said in an earlier post, I think your students do a really nice job), I want to ask a question about something I've wondered about for a while. And please don't read that I'm asking the question in a snarky way. I'm legitimately curious.

I've noticed that on this board and, now, on your broadcasts, IUP fans/announcers refer to their players exclusively by their first names. And I was surprised to hear that the trend wasn't just on message boards but also on the broadcast ("Cobo kicks it out to Dante at the top of the key," etc.). Every other player that gets talked about in the region is referred to by a last name: Bolon, Meininger, Hinton, Jolly, Massey, Kellum, Sleva, etc. But IUP players are always: Cobo, Willem, Armoni, Dante, Malik, etc. Now, in the case of both Willem and Marko, I suppose it makes sense. Those last names are a pain to say and/or spell. But no one would struggle to say/spell Diaz, Foster, Lombardi, or Miller.

Is there a reason for this tradition? Perhaps a beloved PA Announcer that started the trend or something like that? College athletics are filled with a variety of traditions/superstitions. I guess I've always wondered about the genesis of that tradition at IUP. And hearing it on the broadcast today seemed pretty unique, so it prompted me to ask. And again, please understand that I'm asking out of curiosity--not out of any accusation or annoyance. Anybody know where the tradition comes from?

Default Re: Question about IUP Names

Quote Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
    So, now that I've watched these games and listened to your feed (and as I said in an earlier post, I think your students do a really nice job), I want to ask a question about something I've wondered about for a while. And please don't read that I'm asking the question in a snarky way. I'm legitimately curious.

I've noticed that on this board and, now, on your broadcasts, IUP fans/announcers refer to their players exclusively by their first names. And I was surprised to hear that the trend wasn't just on message boards but also on the broadcast ("Cobo kicks it out to Dante at the top of the key," etc.). Every other player that gets talked about in the region is referred to by a last name: Bolon, Meininger, Hinton, Jolly, Massey, Kellum, Sleva, etc. But IUP players are always: Cobo, Willem, Armoni, Dante, Malik, etc. Now, in the case of both Willem and Marko, I suppose it makes sense. Those last names are a pain to say and/or spell. But no one would struggle to say/spell Diaz, Foster, Lombardi, or Miller.

Is there a reason for this tradition? Perhaps a beloved PA Announcer that started the trend or something like that? College athletics are filled with a variety of traditions/superstitions. I guess I've always wondered about the genesis of that tradition at IUP. And hearing it on the broadcast today seemed pretty unique, so it prompted me to ask. And again, please understand that I'm asking out of curiosity--not out of any accusation or annoyance. Anybody know where the tradition comes from?
    #Hawk-Family

I wouldn’t say it’s a tradition. Just the way it’s always been. There’s really no history to it. I graduated in 2015 and when I was in school we always called the guys by their first names. Marcel, Daddy, Devante, Scooter, etc..

I don’t know what it’s like at other schools, but if it started or came from anything, it’s because the basketball program is very much ingratiated into the university culture. That starts with Joe. Those guys are very visible on campus and students interact with them. It’s a domino effect essentially. Students say it. People close to the program say it. For years, the slogan was always #HawkFamily

I never talked about IUP basketball with friends of mine and said, “How about that game by Chance last night?”

I said, “Did you see that pass by Devante to Brandon to drain that three pointer in the corner to win the Atlantic Regional?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Question about IUP Names

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    I wouldn’t say it’s a tradition. Just the way it’s always been. There’s really no history to it. I graduated in 2015 and when I was in school we always called the guys by their first names. Marcel, Daddy, Devante, Scooter, etc..

I don’t know what it’s like at other schools, but if it started or came from anything, it’s because the basketball program is very much ingratiated into the university culture. That starts with Joe. Those guys are very visible on campus and students interact with them. It’s a domino effect essentially. Students say it. People close to the program say it. For years, the slogan was always #HawkFamily

I never talked about IUP basketball with friends of mine and said, “How about that game by Chance last night?”

I said, “Did you see that pass by Devante to Brandon to drain that three pointer in the corner to win the Atlantic Regional?”

^^^This. Especially the part about players being visible and accessible on and off campus. The other day when I stopped down to get tickets, the players were leaving after a walkthrough. Chucky Humphries came into the lobby area and one of the little kids in line to get tickets looked at his dad and said, “Hey, that’s Chucky!” Cute moment.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post

I didn't know Daddy had a last name? I thought he was like Madonna? Lol.

You could always talk to the guys. They always had time for you. Joe has them schooled. They aren’t any better than any non-athlete on that campus.

The relationships the students have with the team is not that of a disconnected last name relationship. You know them. And IUP is a big school. That says a hell of a lot about the quality of people Joe Lombardi recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    When I was calling games for CUTV while Daddy was playing for IUP, I referred to him as "Daddy" through most of the broadcast because I always struggled with his last name. But, I see some NBA play-by-play home announcers go the first-name route, so it's not as egregious, in my opinion.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I can say it but I could never spell it

Quote Originally Posted by Scrub View Post

I think the first name thing is very common at Pitt & Penn St also. People on the message boards tend to use first names especially in BB where there aren’t a lot of duplicates like football.

At Penn St people generally say Saquan instead of Barkley and at Pitt people say Quadree about as often as the refer to him as Ollison. There is a little of both.

I’ll add that in my day on campus (early to mid 80s) we always referred to players by their last name whether it was football or basketball. None of this first name stuff unless you were personally greeting them.

Ron McNabb was the PG when I first came to campus and he was always McNabb. Coincidently, he and is wife sat a few rows behind the bench tonight on the aisle. I saw them at the PSAC title game too.

I still call him Ron when I greet him and I say McNabb when I talk about him to others.