Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Clarion Men’s Coaching Vacancy

Contribute to D2

Default Clarion Men’s Coaching Vacancy

Looks like Clarion is in need of a new head men’s basketball coach...

In other news, water is wet.

Link: https://jobs.clarion.edu/postings/se...&commit=Search

Default Re: Clarion Men’s Coaching Vacancy

Kevin Reynolds

Clarion will be a tough rebuild, but Reynolds has proven he can handle a rebuild. Whether he wants the job is the question.. Reynolds can probably hold out for a much better opportunity.

I expect their next head coach to be a D2 asst at a top program or a
    successful HC from a lower division.

Consider, would an Allen Payne type (and others like him) be interested in a move up to HC at a perennial loser or would they rather build their resume working for another top D2 HC or possibly as a lower D1 asst.

They have to move fast. Clarion actually has a good core coming back with Mraz returning from medical redshirt and the two guards from this year.

If the new coach can get to, well, actually come back ... the rebuild could be fairly quick. Add a couple bigs and those three make them competitive quickly.

That said, I wouldn't doubt all three leave.

Outside the box name...Jordan Fee the current assistant at Nova Southeastern. Would bring the WLU style to Clarion!!

That’s a very good suggestion. He could easily live in his hometown too. His father would make a pretty good volunteer asst. Jordan would be the type of D2 asst I could see taking the job. What was he a 2012 graduate of WL? If so, he’s 29 or 30, which puts him on the younger side.

I talked to some people closer to the situation and it sounds like Jordan is in the category of “waiting for HC opportunity at a really good program” that I outlined in post #3 above. He actually interviewed for the Nova Southeastern HC job when it opened last time. So his sights seem to be set higher.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
    I talked to some people closer to the situation and it sounds like Jordan is in the category of “waiting for HC opportunity at a really good program” that I outlined in post #3 above. He actually interviewed for the Nova Southeastern HC job when it opened last time. So his sights seem to be set higher.
    Uhhhhhh...Nova Southeastern had 13 straight losing seasons when he interviewed for the HC job! It is the coach they actually hired that has made them good. He may have recalibrated his expectations and I wouldn't blame him. But the chance of coming home to be the HC at your hometown college don't come along very often...likewise opportunities as a college HC at 30 don't happen very often.

If I were advising him, I'd say apply and interview and decide if they offer him the position. Experience going through the interview process is invaluable...forces you to think about, formulate and articulate ideas and concepts that you just don't get in any other process. Worst idea in the world is for your first job interview to be for the job you REALLY want!!!
    Last edited by boatcapt; 03-17-2019 at 09:39 AM.

John Reilly interested in pension?

Well, a massive renovation will be completed by next season. Clarion was strong in men's basketball for a long, long time, so, it can be done.

If you're in to the mountain life it is a great campus and area. It's certainly going to be a tough sell to kids wanting an urban vibe.

11. Default Re: Clarion Men’s Coaching Vacancy

Clarion was paying Marcess Williams 55k, by far the lowest in the PSAC. And Marcess had to inherit the assistant coach Al Modrejewski who was making more than Marcess. I understand that Modrejewski is also now out at Clarion. The Clarion women’s hoop coach makes 58k. So I don’t expect the Clarion men’s job will attract a lot of D1 assistants or D2 head coaches unless Clarion is prepared to commit more salary to that position.

At that salary range of 55k, Clarion is likely to attract only D2 assistants or maybe D3 head coaches who want to move to a scholarship program. There are several PSAC assistants who are qualified. The renovated facility will be ready in September and I do think Clarion can be a good job if enrollment continues to inch upward as it has the past few years after a huge decline.

12. Default Re: Clarion Men’s Coaching Vacancy

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    They have to move fast. Clarion actually has a good core coming back with Mraz returning from medical redshirt and the two guards from this year.

If the new coach can get to, well, actually come back ... the rebuild could be fairly quick. Add a couple bigs and those three make them competitive quickly.

That said, I wouldn't doubt all three leave.
    I agree that Clarion should move fast, especially for late recruiting purposes, however, the job posting states that Clarion will BEGIN reviewing applications on 4/8/19 and the new hire start date will be 5/3/19. Go figure. That hiring schedule must have something to do with budgeting, because it does not lend itself well to the new HC recruiting for the 2019-20 season.

Quote Originally Posted by PSACwatcher View Post
    I agree that Clarion should move fast, especially for late recruiting purposes, however, the job posting states that Clarion will BEGIN reviewing applications on 4/8/19 and the new hire start date will be 5/3/19. Go figure. That hiring schedule must have something to do with budgeting, because it does not lend itself well to the new HC recruiting for the 2019-20 season.
    It's the union rules they have to follow. Unless they are doing an internal hire the job has to post for said number of days, etc.

That's one week after the DII NC game. Maybe that was on purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    That's one week after the DII NC game. Maybe that was on purpose?
    They have to legally post the job so many days per the union rules in the PASSHE. Unfortunately they can't operate like a private school and just hire somebody the next day.

They have to legally post the job so many days per the union rules in the PASSHE. Unfortunately they can't operate like a private school and just hire somebody the next day.
    Yes but does the union contract prescribe they need to wait until April 8 to begin review applications? I.E. Does that date have some significance? I would think they could start reviewing applications as they got them...maybe not interviews but due diligence, reference and background stuff.

Clarion was paying Marcess Williams 55k, by far the lowest in the PSAC. And Marcess had to inherit the assistant coach Al Modrejewski who was making more than Marcess. I understand that Modrejewski is also now out at Clarion. The Clarion women’s hoop coach makes 58k. So I don’t expect the Clarion men’s job will attract a lot of D1 assistants or D2 head coaches unless Clarion is prepared to commit more salary to that position.

At that salary range of 55k, Clarion is likely to attract only D2 assistants or maybe D3 head coaches who want to move to a scholarship program. There are several PSAC assistants who are qualified. The renovated facility will be ready in September and I do think Clarion can be a good job if enrollment continues to inch upward as it has the past few years after a huge decline.

That's the big decision they have to make. Paying a head coach that amount will get them, well, not a very good candidate. Or, it will get them perhaps a hungry young coach who will jump ship at the first sign of success.

Perhaps they get a bargain on Kevin Reynolds (who may take the job for a discount at $80,000 while still enjoying that three-year buyout from SRU).

That's funny the assistant was making more than the HC. Big Al had been there forever.

Clarion's head coaching salaries are bottom third of the conference in almost all sports. So are their scholarships. You kinda have to overpay to get anything of quality at these schools especially given Clarion's inconvenient location. They're only a half-scholly out of the West basement.

Well, a massive renovation will be completed by next season. Clarion was strong in men's basketball for a long, long time, so, it can be done.

If you're in to the mountain life it is a great campus and area. It's certainly going to be a tough sell to kids wanting an urban vibe.

They can go the West Liberty route. Head into Ohio and West Virginia. Get those small school farm boys from the podunk towns. It’s all about work ethic, baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    They can go the West Liberty route. Head into Ohio and West Virginia. Get those small school farm boys from the podunk towns. It’s all about work ethic, baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's not a secret what WLU, and now Nova Southeastern, do. Any coach that want's to do the same thing can do it...Heck, Ohio/WVA don't even have a monopoly on "WLU Style" players as they are out there in almost every state. Issue is the coaches and the fan base. Takes a lot of confidence to run an obviously more skilled player out of your gym because he doesn't play your style of basketball. I know it plays big in the movies and on TV (Hosiers, Coach Carter, The White Shadow, etc), but there aren't really many coaches that will take a bunch of "heart and effort" players over high flying "ballers".

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast