Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Clarion Men’s Coaching Vacancy

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Clarion Men’s Coaching Vacancy

I think the only kind of person who could inject life into that program without it first winning so many games random people start to care would have to be a local person with connections. That's Fee. There was a sudden peak at Edinboro when Justin Lustig became football coach. Not after they won 9 games - the moment he was hired. And Fee is coming from a pretty solid DII program - they certainly bring in some good revenue...but they're private. Success at DII is largely determined by how to maximize your scholarship dollars and its very different doing it with "discount" dollars versus real dollars that you worked to accumulate.
    Last edited by Fightingscot82; 05-18-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I think the only kind of person who could inject life into that program without it first winning so many games random people start to care would have to be a local person with connections. That's Fee. There was a sudden peak at Edinboro when Justin Lustig became football coach. Not after they won 9 games - the moment he was hired.
    He's the guy if he will take it. That said, he's not building much with a budget to recruit Red Bank High. Ft. Lauderdale or Clarion.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    He's the guy if he will take it. That said, he's not building much with a budget to recruit Red Bank High. Ft. Lauderdale or Clarion.
    I would think most coaches would be a bit shy about taking a job at a school like either CLARION or WJU. Can you be sure the institution will be there 5-10 years from now ?

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    I would think most coaches would be a bit shy about taking a job at a school like either CLARION or WJU. Can you be sure the institution will be there 5-10 years from now ?
    Tough spot.

Imagine IUP ... none of these three would even get a phone interview.

But ... when you pay $49k a year and don't care about basketball ... this is what you get.

Clarion should have sent the mo-fo jet for JR. But, they don't care. And, this is what you get.

In all fairness to Clarion, will most of our head coaches still be around in 5-10 years? Most likely not. These guys live for the present.

In all fairness to Clarion, will most of our head coaches still be around in 5-10 years? Most likely not. These guys live for the present.
    If you recall, the biggest problem VULCANS MBB had recently was a coach who wouldn't go away no matter how bad things got. I certainly hope DS will be around for the next 5-10 years. In fact, if he is as successful as I hope, and will be 50+ at that point, he may just decide to stick it out through retirement rather than start from scratch somewhere else. Time will tell.

If you recall, the biggest problem VULCANS MBB had recently was a coach who wouldn't go away no matter how bad things got. I certainly hope DS will be around for the next 5-10 years. In fact, if he is as successful as I hope, and will be 50+ at that point, he may just decide to stick it out through retirement rather than start from scratch somewhere else. Time will tell.
    I was shocked to see how young Sancomb is ... I thought he was much older.

I was shocked to see how young Sancomb is ... I thought he was much older.
    He's probably right around 45 years old or so. Could be a long-term fixture at Cal if all goes well.

I'd be real hesitant if I was Fee. That job is a dud. Nobody is going to do well there. If I was him I'd hold out for a better job.

Assuming he'd run a variation of the Crutch system ... he's just not going to be able to get enough talent there to do it successfully.

I think the only coach who could win there would be a gadget defensive coach (like a Manchal).

Coaches have to raise money. Lombardi is tremendous at it. Could somebody do it up there? I doubt it.
    Clearly Fee want's to be a HC (nothing wrong with that) as he applied at Nova before Crutch got the nod and Clarion. The question with Clarion is are they willing to pay him enough to leave what is probably a really good Assistant Coach gig at Nova? I would imagine that Fee would give Clarion some sort of "hometown" discount but I don't think he would be willing to coach for free (or comparatively free).

I think Fee would run a WLU/Crutch-like style. Contrary to what some think, I really don't think these type players are hard to find. We're talking the gym rat/coaches son type players that got what ever they achieved in HS by sweat, hussle and out working other more athletically talented players. Most have some sort of physical "defect" that makes them unwanted when it comes to typical college teams. Maybe they are too short, or too slow, or are too unselfish (yea, that's a thing!)...what ever it is, they go largely unrecruited. The real issue is that most coaches are unwilling to commit 100% to building Crutch-ball team because on paper and in warm ups, they can look awful bad. Crutch-ball doesn't seem like a style you can do halfway or in spurts.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Clearly Fee want's to be a HC (nothing wrong with that) as he applied at Nova before Crutch got the nod and Clarion. The question with Clarion is are they willing to pay him enough to leave what is probably a really good Assistant Coach gig at Nova? I would imagine that Fee would give Clarion some sort of "hometown" discount but I don't think he would be willing to coach for free (or comparatively free).

I think Fee would run a WLU/Crutch-like style. Contrary to what some think, I really don't think these type players are hard to find. We're talking the gym rat/coaches son type players that got what ever they achieved in HS by sweat, hussle and out working other more athletically talented players. Most have some sort of physical "defect" that makes them unwanted when it comes to typical college teams. Maybe they are too short, or too slow, or are too unselfish (yea, that's a thing!)...what ever it is, they go largely unrecruited. The real issue is that most coaches are unwilling to commit 100% to building Crutch-ball team because on paper and in warm ups, they can look awful bad. Crutch-ball doesn't seem like a style you can do halfway or in spurts.
    Agree with you on all parts. The guy's not making $100k as a DII assistant - so even if Clarion pays him $60k he may end out a little bit ahead when you consider the cost of living adjustment, MUCH lower benefit costs, and proximity to family, he's probably still a little ahead. I don't believe he's married so that may make the transition easier. According to his social media, he was once an assistant at Clarion so he knows what he's getting himself into. As for style, he played and coached for Crutchfield...and was exactly the coach's son gym rat player you describe.

Agree with you on all parts. The guy's not making $100k as a DII assistant - so even if Clarion pays him $60k he may end out a little bit ahead when you consider the cost of living adjustment, MUCH lower benefit costs, and proximity to family, he's probably still a little ahead. I don't believe he's married so that may make the transition easier. According to his social media, he was once an assistant at Clarion so he knows what he's getting himself into. As for style, he played and coached for Crutchfield...and was exactly the coach's son gym rat player you describe.
    First point...Florida has no state/local income tax...SHOCKING difference in take home pay when you move from a state that does to FL!!!! And I would imagine going the other way would be even MORE shocking!

Second point...Being single might make it easier to move from Ft Lauderdale to Clarion, but I'd wager the "pickings" are a little different when you get there!!!! A "Clarion 10" is quite a bit different than a "Ft Lauderdale 10!!"

The intangible up there is getting kids to stay there once you sign them. If you look at their rosters over the years, the turnover is through the roof. We don't talk about it much on here because, well, we don't talk about Clarion on here.

Getting city kids up there is a huge challenge. Clarion is in the middle of nowhere and up in the mountains. A mile off campus you start seeing Confederate Flags all over the place. The town itself is the same in 2019 as it was in 1955.

Now, if you're in to hunting/fishing/outdoors ... it would be fantastic.

Ron Righter won there for many, many years. So, it is possible. But, it's not going to be easy. On top of the recruiting challenges and having no money, you're in a division with IUP, Mercyhurst, etc. You're basically the Rays in the AL East.

Total speculation on my part, but I would not be surprised that donors open their wallets to reward Crutch and staff for the incredible turnaround!

Quote Originally Posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Total speculation on my part, but I would not be surprised that donors open their wallets to reward Crutch and staff for the incredible turnaround!
    Hard to say they've even noticed. They only had 657 per game in the stands this past season. I'd assume D2 sports are a tough sell down there.

Hard to say they've even noticed. They only had 657 per game in the stands this past season. I'd assume D2 sports are a tough sell down there.
    Your point is well taken. There are so many more things to do in that area.
    Before Crutch came, Nova averaged 248 per game. It has increased 165% to 657 this year. The question is: can it can keep increasing? I would think the fact that the Miami Herald reported that the Miami Heat coaching staff spent 5.5 hours with Crutch discussing his style might increase interest or curiousity among more hard-core basketball fan. Students are another challenge entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Your point is well taken. There are so many more things to do in that area.
    Before Crutch came, Nova averaged 248 per game. It has increased 165% to 657 this year. The question is: can it can keep increasing? I would think the fact that the Miami Herald reported that the Miami Heat coaching staff spent 5.5 hours with Crutch discussing his style might increase interest or curiousity among more hard-core basketball fan. Students are another challenge entirely.
    I'd anticipate another attendance bump next year for Nova. This was the first year they had ever been in the NCAA tourney and getting a Regional title and going to the E8 will probably cause a few more locals as well as students to take notice. To get peoples attention in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area, you FIRST have to be a winner! Fan's ain't going to show up for a "were headed in the right direction" or "laying the foundation for a winner" team/season.

The intangible up there is getting kids to stay there once you sign them. If you look at their rosters over the years, the turnover is through the roof. We don't talk about it much on here because, well, we don't talk about Clarion on here.

Getting city kids up there is a huge challenge. Clarion is in the middle of nowhere and up in the mountains. A mile off campus you start seeing Confederate Flags all over the place. The town itself is the same in 2019 as it was in 1955.

Ron Righter won there for many, many years. So, it is possible. But, it's not going to be easy. On top of the recruiting challenges and having no money, you're in a division with IUP, Mercyhurst, etc. You're basically the Rays in the AL East.
    Same thing at WLU. NOT going to entice a player that want's to be in a city to the Hilltop. But the same can be said the other way around. If you are a guy who likes the great outdoors and all that it provides, all things equal you probably aren't going to be much interested in an offer from a city school.

Very true, but the Confederate flag comment can be made about every PASSHE school except Cheyney and West Chester. Hell on I-71 between Columbus and Cincinnati there was a barn right next to the highway with its entire roof painted like the Confederate flag and that doesn't seem to affect recruitment at OSU, Dayton, Xavier, Cincinnati, etc.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????

I heard that the three names we previously discussed are all out of the running and they're on to Plan B...whatever that may be.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast