Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clarion Men’s Coaching Vacancy

Default Re: Clarion Men’s Coaching Vacancy

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    John Reilly interested in pension?
    Why would JR ever want to the leave the charming, fair-weather, Gannon fanbase -- the majority of which have wanted him gone for years? LOL.

Clarion would rightfully hire him in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    They can go the West Liberty route. Head into Ohio and West Virginia. Get those small school farm boys from the podunk towns. It’s all about work ethic, baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your idea is a good one since there is more basketball talent in Ohio, but the issue is the scholarship money needs to cover the Out of State tuition which is higher than in-state. So overall you can give less money to less players which causes kids to accept offers elsewhere.

I helped a public D3 school in basketball recruiting for several years and we finally stopped recruiting Ohio since they could stay in Ohio for less money or go to a PA private school where they could bend the tuition costs.

At that time I fed some names to Matt Hahn (former IUP asst) about D2 level kids I’d see in Ohio and he said the same thing. He didn’t even look at the players I gave him since it would mean giving less money to the same number of players.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
    Your idea is a good one since there is more basketball talent in Ohio, but the issue is the scholarship money needs to cover the Out of State tuition which is higher than in-state. So overall you can give less money to less players which causes kids to accept offers elsewhere.

I helped a public D3 school in basketball recruiting for several years and we finally stopped recruiting Ohio since they could stay in Ohio for less money or go to a PA private school where they could bend the tuition costs.

At that time I fed some names to Matt Hahn (former IUP asst) about D2 level kids I’d see in Ohio and he said the same thing. He didn’t even look at the players I gave him since it would mean giving less money to the same number of players.
    My point is that the WLU style players don't just live in Ohio and WV...there are plenty in PA. Were talking about the gym rat/coaches son/all heart/high basketball IQ/out work EVERYONE type players that got whatever HS accolades they have by playing harder, smarter and with more grit and determination than the more gifted "athlete" that floats through the air and runs like the wind. Buuuuuttttt...The coach has to be willing to populate his entire team with these cats and implement the style that maximizes what they do well...can't half step it or bring in a couple of these guys a year (it will never work that way). New coach needs to rip the band aid off and be willing to turn over the entire roster save for the few that are truly willing to play that unselfish, high intensity style.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    My point is that the WLU style players don't just live in Ohio and WV...there are plenty in PA. Were talking about the gym rat/coaches son/all heart/high basketball IQ/out work EVERYONE type players that got whatever HS accolades they have by playing harder, smarter and with more grit and determination than the more gifted "athlete" that floats through the air and runs like the wind. Buuuuuttttt...The coach has to be willing to populate his entire team with these cats and implement the style that maximizes what they do well...can't half step it or bring in a couple of these guys a year (it will never work that way). New coach needs to rip the band aid off and be willing to turn over the entire roster save for the few that are truly willing to play that unselfish, high intensity style.
    Good points. But WL just simplifies the game so much with quick line changes. They run around like wild on both offense and defense to confuse the opponent (and it works great). They don’t even have 1 play on offense it’s all ad-lib, so the opposing coach can’t even yell “get ready for the back screen” because the WL doesn’t even know when a back screen is coming.

I took a lot of notes these last few days on WL (and videos of their press to study it more). It is so hard to game plan for since very little is scripted. It’s not like “they are doing X so we are doing Y”. WL might do XYZ all on the same possession because their players have the freedom to just create chaos.

On offense they typically took shots in the first 7-12 seconds of the shot clock with defenders stretched to the 3pt line and players inside spinning like a tornado. It gives WL shorter players a fair opportunity to rebound vs bigger players.

It’s hard not to marvel at the simpliticity of it all and great equalizer it is to have a brain dead and physically whooped opponent in the last 5 minutes who misses all of their foul shots.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
    Good points. But WL just simplifies the game so much with quick line changes. They run around like wild on both offense and defense to confuse the opponent (and it works great). They don’t even have 1 play on offense it’s all ad-lib, so the opposing coach can’t even yell “get ready for the back screen” because the WL doesn’t even know when a back screen is coming.

I took a lot of notes these last few days on WL (and videos of their press to study it more). It is so hard to game plan for since very little is scripted. It’s not like “they are doing X so we are doing Y”. WL might do XYZ all on the same possession because their players have the freedom to just create chaos.

On offense they typically took shots in the first 7-12 seconds of the shot clock with defenders stretched to the 3pt line and players inside spinning like a tornado. It gives WL shorter players a fair opportunity to rebound vs bigger players.

It’s hard not to marvel at the simpliticity of it all and great equalizer it is to have a brain dead and physically whooped opponent in the last 5 minutes who misses all of their foul shots.

Man, we think alike. I got to watch both WL games in person. As I wasn't 'cheering' at all I tried to pay attention to the things I've read about on here for years and years. You can only take so much from watching games on a computer screen. Specifically, I wanted to see how they can give up 100 points and still routinely win.

I paid really close attention to the press. I think the 'chaos' factor all starts with Bolon on the ball going crazy ... doing jumping jacks, etc. He's big for a guard and has a long span. So, the 'pressure' starts before the ball is even inbounded. Very few teams use a player on the inbound man during the press. That adds a whole new element to the 'chaos' factor. He then goes to wherever the ball goes. Their press doesn't create a ton of turnovers but it 'speeds up' the opponent and creates that 'havoc' element. The key to breaking it is to get that inbound pass in as fast as possible.

The 'line change' is the thing that makes it work. They could never play that pace without the constant five for five subs.

Oddly, I thought VSU dealt with the 'chaos' much better than the always-pressing ESU did the day prior. The one soft spot in the WL press I saw was the middle man. So often the two wing guards trying to get the ball get all the attention. The middle man often has a lane to just turnaround and go. I imagine that would have been IUP's plan to break it with Cobo in the middle as he can handle the ball so well. Many bigs can't.

I'll say this, like him or not, Meiniger made two gigantic treys -- one near the end of each game. He's not a traditional 'big' but the way WL uses him creates a giant mis-match in most games. Putting him at the point guard spot forces other teams' traditional 'bigs' to then get tangled up with much faster guards, etc. He's a lot better player in person than I ever saw watching him on film. He got run over a few times yesterday when VSU was pounding the ball but he's not built to bang in there. He plays his role very well.

Pains me to say it, but I was pretty impressed with WL. How Bolon does what he does with one eye is just amazing. Try walking around your office with an eye patch on for 40 minutes ... let alone playing a full speed basketball game.

WL getting two teams that haven't seen them helped. Notre Dame was the one team that had a good read on how to play them. IUP had the total opposite problem. They weren't pulling any element of surprise in either game.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Why would JR ever want to the leave the charming, fair-weather, Gannon fanbase -- the majority of which have wanted him gone for years? LOL.

Clarion would rightfully hire him in a second.
    If I was the Clarion AD and Reilly became available, I would say screw the union, hire Reilly and deal with the lawsuits later.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden89 View Post
    If I was the Clarion AD and Reilly became available, I would say screw the union, hire Reilly and deal with the lawsuits later.
    Mercyhurst taking over the Erie scene may be all the more reason. I think if Clarion is willing to open the checkbook it would be a good move for JR. Fresh start away from the GU fanbase that is still living in 1989, etc. There would be zero pressure at Clarion to do an overnight rebuild and JR would have time to build it his way from the ground up.

8. Default Re: Clarion Men’s Coaching Vacancy

A solid hire for the Eagles would be former volunteer assistant coach DeWayne Walker. He had some success in the two years that he was with the program and was responsible for bringing in some major transfers. Before Clarion, he turned CCBC Beaver into one of the top JUCO programs in the nation. They led the country in scoring multiple times and his players graduated. PSAC schools thrived off of his players (Isiah Prince/Boro, Maurice Lewis-Briggs/SRU) to name a couple. Clarion could bring him in at a low price. While he was at Clarion, he brought in André Anthony, Tim Gill, Larry Johnson and Justin Dobbs, all of whom played a factor in leading Clarion to their first playoff win in 7 or 8 seasons. If they were smart, they would bring in a guy who is hungry and knows how to recruit with a limited budget.

It was pointed out to me that the new coach will inherit a 39-game road losing streak ... the Golden Eagles haven't won a road game since they traveled to Edinboro in 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden89 View Post
    It was pointed out to me that the new coach will inherit a 39-game road losing streak ... the Golden Eagles haven't won a road game since they traveled to Edinboro in 2016!
    That doesn't mean a thing to the new coach.

Clarion *should* be playing in the new $42.7-million Tippin Gymnasium II by the start of the hoops regular season, for whatever that's worth. This winter they played in the student rec center and drew an average of 12.3 fans per game sitting on metal soccer bleachers.

Quote Originally Posted by hawks16 View Post
    Clarion *should* be playing in the new $42.7-million Tippin Gymnasium II by the start of the hoops regular season, for whatever that's worth. This winter they played in the student rec center and drew an average of 12.3 fans per game sitting on metal soccer bleachers.
    Doesn't mean a whole lot. RMU did the same thing this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Doesn't mean a whole lot. RMU did the same thing this year.
    Clarion has stunk for years and Bobby Mo is a distant third fiddle in a city that only occassionally likes college basketball.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12