Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Women's Atlantic Regional

Contribute to D2

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    Rust? You call it rust and I'll call it Bowie got physical with them and the IUP women don't do good with physical. They will have all the same Cal issues tomorrow against VUU. I'll be shocked if they beat VUU.
    Yes, I felt they were a bit rusty. Maybe it was due to the physicality, hard to say. I like their chances tomorrow. It won’t be easy, but it shouldn’t be at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Women's Atlantic Regional

Glenville dropping a beating on WL ... up 30 with 2 mins left (116-86).

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Glenville dropping a beating on WL ... up 30 with 2 mins left (116-86).
    No defense in that league.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    No defense in that league.

You try staying in front of Re'Shawna Stone! ; ) Dang, that girl can ball!

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    I've no idea which VULCAN team will show , the one that started the season so optimistically @10-0 or the one that finished so down @ 6-4. Thankfully they didn't have to bus it all the way to Richmond for possibly 1 and done.
    So far the 10-0 team has shown up as the VULCANS lead 30-9 after the 1st qtr.

Yes, I felt they were a bit rusty. Maybe it was due to the physicality, hard to say. I like their chances tomorrow. It won’t be easy, but it shouldn’t be at this point.

How can they be rusty when they played Sunday? That's basically normal rest.

Yeah .... and add to it Bowie had two weeks off

Cal really struggling with UC press.

So far the 10-0 team has shown up as the VULCANS lead 30-9 after the 1st qtr.
    Really disappointing 2nd half. The VULCANS look like an entirely different team allowing UC to dictate the action completely. This is their season in a nutshell.

As a big fan I of JESS STROM it is really hard to say how disappointed I am with her handling of this game. In the first half SEAIRRA BARRETT sat for 18 minutes and a solid pressure D and hurry up O, with scoring from several players, had UC back on their heels. In the second, for no reason I can figure, all the scoring was focused on SB, the offense slowed to a crawl and the team looked completely overmatched. They have less than 24 hrs to get their act together or face humiliation versus GSC with what will likely be a large and noisy crowd. Does not bode well.

Just my opinion. They weren’t at their best. Obviously the opponent has something to do with that. This was a step up in competition, and maybe the best team they played all year.

Regardless, I won’t argue that they’re peaking at the right time. I think they’re a little worn down. They seemed to overcome losing D’Anna early on, but now not having her hurts. She was a significant contributor during last year’s run. They went to Preston when trying to get Robinson or Griggs a rest, but she committed two fouls in about a minute. Robinson played 39 minutes and Griggs 37. That’s a lot for the bigs. Myers played 37, and Appleby and Wolosik both played 40. Only four minutes total from the bench and ONE point.

If that happens tomorrow, it will likely be the last game for a pretty special group of seniors.

As a big fan I of JESS STROM it is really hard to say how disappointed I am with her handling of this game. In the first half SEAIRRA BARRETT sat for 18 minutes and a solid pressure D and hurry up O, with scoring from several players, had UC back on their heels. In the second, for no reason I can figure, all the scoring was focused on SB, the offense slowed to a crawl and the team looked completely overmatched. They have less than 24 hrs to get their act together or face humiliation versus GSC with what will likely be a large and noisy crowd. Does not bode well.
    Survive and advance. Tomorrow is another day.

13. Default Re: Women's Atlantic Regional

Just my opinion. They weren’t at their best. Obviously the opponent has something to do with that. This was a step up in competition, and maybe the best team they played all year.

Regardless, I won’t argue that they’re peaking at the right time. I think they’re a little worn down. They seemed to overcome losing D’Anna early on, but now not having her hurts. She was a significant contributor during last year’s run. They went to Preston when trying to get Robinson or Griggs a rest, but she committed two fouls in about a minute. Robinson played 39 minutes and Griggs 37. That’s a lot for the bigs. Myers played 37, and Appleby and Wolosik both played 40. Only four minutes total from the bench and ONE point.

If that happens tomorrow, it will likely be the last game for a pretty special group of seniors.

You are correct. I was shocked at their utter lack of bench minutes and scoring. That will be asking a lot for the starters to go out and go full throttle again tomorrow after so many minutes today. Good luck keeping your legs with that kind of workload.

-

Tom adbandoned the bench weeks ago. Odd.

I don’t get it. I thought he did a great job getting a lot of minutes for the bench throughout the year. Now, it’s nonexistent.

There is a lot of young talent sitting there. They’ll make mistakes, but they’ll also make some plays and get the starters some rest. It is odd.

Wasn’t that my knock on this team 2 weeks ago? Makes no sense!

I watched the replay of their Kutztown win last Sunday night on PCN and I noticed an element of fatigue in the second half. It manifested itself in poor fundamentals by some of IUPs best players.

Guarding at the perimeter, a shot goes up from the other wing and the IUP player turns to watch the shot as the player they are guarding crashes the weak side boards. None of the plays ended up hurting the ladies as the ball didn’t bounce to the player who was unchecked, but in a tight game this inattentiveness or fatigue could easily add up to 10 points against.

The ladies will need to play more disciplined if they are going to advance because talent is going to equalize and possibly surpass them. Total focused effort by fresh players will be huge.

Also you never know who is sick this time of year & some bad luck there could also be a factor.

I see their bench a little differently. It's very good -- but just not ready. Four true freshmen make up the bulk of it. This time of the year freshmen tend to have freshmen moments. My guess is that Tom has some trust issues going to them right now.

Aside from them, I really think Courtney Alexander is getting far too few minutes. Ana Hollen has fallen off the earth in the second half. That leaves Kendall Hunter. Maura D'Anna going down for the season so early really put them in a tough spot. She was the 'muscle' to this team.

While it appears to be a deep bench ... not so sure.

Also, what's the deal with Madison Kerr? She played blowout minutes as a true freshman three years ago. Last year she sat out all year with an injury. This year she's still there on the bench but hasn't dressed all year (but is listed on the roster). Only thing I can think is last year was a medical redshirt and this year is just a redshirt. She was a very decorated player coming out of Peters Twp. I assume she will be the PG next year.

It's imperative they get off to a fast start today.

Looking at the minutes, does GSU do the line changes like they did under Harkleroad? It sure seems like they do as 10 players are close to 20 minutes against WLU.

I saw Glenville beat defending national champ Shaw 123-84 in the 2013 regional at the Hammermill. It was unlike anything I’ve ever seen in person. They shuttled lines every minute and went a dizzying 20/32 on threes. The 20 threes made was an NCAA record at the time.

They played Cal in the next round and got held below 70 and lost so we’ll see if history repeats itself today.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden89 View Post
    Looking at the minutes, does GSU do the line changes like they did under Harkleroad? It sure seems like they do as 10 players are close to 20 minutes against WLU.

I saw Glenville beat defending national champ Shaw 123-84 in the 2013 regional at the Hammermill. It was unlike anything I’ve ever seen in person. They shuttled lines every minute and went a dizzying 20/32 on threes. The 20 threes made was an NCAA record at the time.

They played Cal in the next round and got held below 70 and lost so we’ll see if history repeats itself today.
    Not quite below 70 but CAL U did win 81-79 and then lost a truly bizarre regional final to GU at Hammermill 50-47. GSC did use that multi sub system with 10 players and the VULCANS did the same with 8 players. Actually quite a redemption for GSC who lost @ CAL 102-55 in November of that season. I vaguely remember GSC adding a player in the spring of '13 who may have provided the boost. Don't see anything like that this happening this year. Only hope they stay competitive.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast