Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantic Regional

Default Re: Atlantic Regional

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    Yep. I’ve been saying that for years. That’s why I was so glad Tony Bennett and his Virginia Cavaliers lost to UMBC last year. Defense is very important, but I hate the over coaching and over emphasis on it that has made UVA famous, if you will. I think it’s terrible to watch.

You can win a lot of games over the long haul in a season with that, but it’s tough to string them together playing that style against multiple good teams in a single elimination tournament. One shooter gets hot, you’re season is over.

I was the happiest guy in the world when Virginia lost. Even in a tie ball game midway through the 2nd half, they’re milking the shot clock to limit possessions against a 16 seed. Tony Bennett gets some of the best athletes in the country to commit to Virginia. Had he just let them play basketball and not even coached, UMBC stood no chance. His style allowed that upset to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last week was a neat experience as I actually got to watch Mercyhurst in person play somebody other than IUP. I wasn't as invested in the score, etc., and paid more attention to the actual flow of the game.

As I said in my point spread post, to me, their greatest strength is simply that they don't change. Regardless of who they play it's the same. Teams have to adapt to them -- typically on short notice. They run that triangle and two to perfection (in the years he has the right athletes). It isn't like it's a mystifying defense but it's one not seen often. I think they benefit in the same ways Navy football does.

Against East Stroudsburg, I'm not sure the Warriors scored on their final 9 possessions of the first half. By mid-way through the second half they were getting extremely agitated. The Mercyhurst offense is deliberately very slow and, in turn, their defense forces their opponents' offense to move very slow.

If IUP makes it to Sunday I'd much rather see them play Fairmont State. IUP is a horrific match-up for Fairmont State. And, ... I'm not sure I can sit through IUP/Mercy Part 4. Watching another 62-55 game is OK during the West grind but I'd prefer to see some action in mid-March.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Last week was a neat experience as I actually got to watch Mercyhurst in person play somebody other than IUP. I wasn't as invested in the score, etc., and paid more attention to the actual flow of the game.

As I said in my point spread post, to me, their greatest strength is simply that they don't change. Regardless of who they play it's the same. Teams have to adapt to them -- typically on short notice. They run that triangle and two to perfection (in the years he has the right athletes). It isn't like it's a mystifying defense but it's one not seen often. I think they benefit in the same ways Navy football does.

Against East Stroudsburg, I'm not sure the Warriors scored on their final 9 possessions of the first half. By mid-way through the second half they were getting extremely agitated. The Mercyhurst offense is deliberately very slow and, in turn, their defense forces their opponents' offense to move very slow.

If IUP makes it to Sunday I'd much rather see them play Fairmont State. IUP is a horrific match-up for Fairmont State. And, ... I'm not sure I can sit through IUP/Mercy Part 4. Watching another 62-55 game is OK during the West grind but I'd prefer to see some action in mid-March.
    Beggars can't be choosers! Just win and advance!!!

I'll use this term very loosely but based on our panel of 'experts' in the Pick 'Em ... here is how the results are in after 8 people have picked:

IUP vs West Chester: 100% selected IUP

Mercyhurst is picked over Fairmont State by 5 of the 8

Notre Dame is picked over Virginia State by 5 of the 8

West Liberty vs. East Stroudsburg is the tightest -- with each getting 4 votes

As for the 'which team will win' category:

IUP - (6) votes
    Virginia State - (1) vote
    Mercyhurst - (1) vote

You are correct ... ESU did not score for the final 5:28 of the first half. They committed eight consecutive turnovers before missing a shot in the final minute.

Stellar live feed from Glenville. I've had it on two minutes and it's froze twice.

Stellar live feed from Glenville. I've had it on two minutes and it's froze twice.
    They had a wind storm down there and the internet keeps cutting in and out.

Not much left to say. Four teams go home tonight.

The first two games are really neat parings. The third game we know what to expect as it is a Round 3 meeting. The night-cap will be interesting to see if Fairmont State can score enough to win.

Two days later no change to my spreads:

ND -2
    WL -6
    IUP -7
    Merchurst -8

VSU 35
    ND 30

Half

ND jumped out big when two VSU players left injured after a collision. Since they came back whole new game.

ND has 4 starters that logged 19 or 20 minutes in first half. VSU has only 1 player with more than 13 minutes. This seems like an issue for ND that already trails. ND may not have much left at the end of the game.

ND 1-17 from three. VSU 10-20
    That’s the story with 9 to go

Quote Originally Posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
    ND 1-17 from three. VSU 10-20
    That’s the story with 9 to go
    VSU on a 66-35 run since falling behind 12-0 at the 13-minute mark of the first half.

VSU looked REAL GOOD today. Those NDC role players that carried the team through the MEC tourney were cold as ice today. Looked like it went back to the old days of stop Voorhees and win. And VSU nailed it.

Great first half for ESU. Very strong defensive team with plenty of offensive weapons as well. The youth of WLU is on full display right now. Way too many silly and unforced mistakes. It'll be interesting to see what Ben dials up for the second half push.

ESU representing pretty damn well for the PSAC.

Good adjustment by ESU on press breaker. As the half progressed they started a guard in the front court and brought him back to the ball after about a 3 count and he was unguarded. Getting the second pass easily.

WL figured it out and took #5 off ball pressure and assigned him to the player in the front court. Both adjustment essentially rendered the WL press useless.

We’ll see what WL does in the second half to tweak their press back to being a weapon or if they have to take their chances in the half court.

Great substitution pattern for WL to keep their guys fresh and out of foul trouble so they can play hard to the end. WL didn’t have an answer for smith but they got him out of the game long enough to build a decent lead.

33 for WL does a lot of things well

That was a heck of a game. Great half-time adjustment by Howlett to let Meiniger run the point, which brought Smith out of the key for most of the second half WLU possessions. That allowed the back cuts and driving lanes for the guards to be much more open. Big time coaching move by Howlett. Let's just hope ESU didn't take so much out of them that they get steamrolled by VSU tomorrow. Should be another tight game.

And for what it's worth, I thought your student announcing crew did a great job. I mean, it was clear they were students, but all things considered, it was enjoyable to listen to them. Kudos to the Media Studies/Broadcasting Department for doing well to prepare those guys.

Good afternoon session. Both winners rallied from down double digits.

One big disadvantage of playing the evening session at 5 is that one long game can throw off the start times of all the subsequent games. IUP now won’t start till around 5:30 and Mercy till closer to 8.

We showed out well against a tough opponent. I wish it would've been a second-round matchup instead of first-round, but we made our bed by losing those three non-conference games. Overall, I don't think I can be unhappy with the season outcome; Smith is going to be a force in the coming years.

Just checking in before heading back out. So WLU won, as I expected they would. Looks like the big differences were fast break points (WLU +12) and points off turnovers (WLU +10). Looks like ESU played very well in the first half but couldn't keep up with the Toppers.

As I said...had I gone to the tourney, I would have had to stay to watch the one game I cared about tomorrow!

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast