Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who will take WJU's spot in MEC???

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Who will take WJU's spot in MEC???

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsnut View Post
    On the D2 football site, under "Teams", Wheeling Jesuit is not listed under the MEC. Frostburg is listed and Shepherd has been moved to the PSAC. Wise is listed with the SAC. So it appears the site is up to date. So.....I guess my question is has Wheeling Jesuit officially notified there will not be a football team this fall? I guess the site is completely up to date if they are NOT having a team this year, or if they are playing this fall they need to be added.

http://www.d2football.com/teams/mec/c27/
    I wouldn't take that to have some hidden meaning. Took them until this past season to change remove WVIAC and add MEC to the Atlantic basketball board!!!

I wouldn't read much into this one way or the other but I note that their football team is in the midst of their spring practice. I'd think if some decision had been made and was being held secret, they would have "delayed" spring practice.

Rumor was that there was supposed to be some sort of announcement today.

Announcement made. Staying open another year, but with "difficult decisions" to come.

https://wtov9.com/news/local/wju-to-...ncial-exigency

I am not going to pretend I know the situation. I have linked an article from the Wheeling paper at the very bottom of my post. I have quoted some words from their president. I can see the school getting bought out or in a financial partnership with someone and remaining open in the future. But it appears that they are really in dire straits for the current moment. I find this quote interesting:

In a letter to the WJU community about the situation, Mihalyo said, “Continued financial challenges have put our university in a position where we do not have the resources to bridge the gap between highly discounted enrollment, associated academic and athletic programming costs, and the revenue needed to support the institution’s operational expenses.”

What does that mean for the direction of their athletic program? He is saying something there. D3? Remain D2, but cut sports or schollies? I realize they are going to cut academic programs and cut some tenured faculty. That is a no-brainer. They have to. But the question is about athletics going into the future.

http://www.theintelligencer.net/news...-in-2019-2020/

Does anyone actually see them playing football this fall? Looks like some open dates are upcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    Does anyone actually see them playing football this fall? Looks like some open dates are upcoming.
    When over half your full time students are athletes, I’m not sure cutting sports really helps - which creates a real pickle.

If all of this wasn’t bad enough, the bad press and uncertainty that all of this is creating will likely inflict further damage to enrollment numbers. I have to think that a bunch of HS seniors (and parents) just crossed WJU off their list.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    When over half your full time students are athletes, I’m not sure cutting sports really helps - which creates a real pickle.

If all of this wasn’t bad enough, the bad press and uncertainty that all of this is creating will likely inflict further damage to enrollment numbers. I have to think that a bunch of HS seniors (and parents) just crossed WJU off their list.

I agree with this.

I believe the part that I am reading from the president deals with the "discounted enrollment" and "athletic programming costs". I don't believe they can cut out sports. They would lose a huge chunk of enrollment. I do believe they may have to end some of the cutting tuition and number of scholarships given to student-athletes. This will hurt their athletic programs if that is the case. I am guessing they may transition to D3 from just the wording, but of course, I could definitely be wrong.

I think it really hurts: (a) the current student body who may look to transfer based on the news and (b) kills prospective incoming students. The sad thing is that Wheeling Jesuit has always had a solid academic rating which leads me to believe they could end up pretty easily with a financial partner as they call it. It isn't in a horrible location compared to what Salem College was back in the day when they became Salem-Teikyo.

Sounds like a great recruiting tool ...

No idea what kind of talent they have stocked in the football program but I assume we'll see a mass exodus in the coming weeks.

Well, at least the MEC made them start football and then added D&E after.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Sounds like a great recruiting tool ...

No idea what kind of talent they have stocked in the football program but I assume we'll see a mass exodus in the coming weeks.
    I took a look at the highlight reel of a few incoming recruits. I don't think many of these players will end up on another D-II roster.

https://wtov9.com/news/local/student...seven-programs

Private meetings today, cutting all but 7 programs.

I wouldn't give this much credability, but one guy on Twitter saying a 40% across the board cut but athletics is unscathed.

Even if true, I would expect whole sale transfers across all athletic teams.

Yeah, with only 7 programs left, kids are going to be heading elsewhere.

From another Twitter poster. Programs remaining:

Programs remaining:
    Doctor of Physical Therapy
    Nursing
    Respiratory Therapy
    Exercise Science
    Psychology
    Criminal Justice
    Education
    Business

He also says athletics are un-cut.

I joked earlier about WLU stepping in and making WJU WLU - Wheeling. Maybe that's not so far fetched after all!

I wonder how WJU funds their athletic scollys? I have been told that all WV state schools fund theirs by private donations. Does WJU do the same or are they funded by the schools general revenues?

I don't know but I don't think a slogan of "Come to our school, we found a way to stay open next year!!!"" is a good recruiting tool.
    Last edited by UFOILERFAN; 03-28-2019 at 08:37 PM.

I know WL is making a point to advertise a Transfer Visit Day in April. I made the postcards

Too lazy to look it up but wouldn't WL be a lot cheaper to attend than WJ???

Quote Originally Posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    Too lazy to look it up but wouldn't WL be a lot cheaper to attend than WJ???
    Ohhhh yeah. As a public school, WLU is much cheaper than WJU. Distance between the two is less than 15 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Layton View Post
    I know WL is making a point to advertise a Transfer Visit Day in April. I made the postcards
    I don't know if that was the plan but the timing couldn't be more perfect! WLU has seen small enrolment increases for the last two years which kind of bucks the trend for small liberal arts colleges. I would anticipate a pretty major increase in student enrolment this fall! Heck, if we need dorm space, maybe we could rent some from WJU and run a shuttle to WLU! I hear WJU is shaking the cushions for coins so I'd think they would be amenable to some sort of rent-to-own agreement!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    I wonder how WJU funds their athletic scollys? I have been told that all WV state schools fund theirs by private donations. Does WJU do the same or are they funded by the schools general revenues?
    Discounting. Very, very few private schools use donations to fund athletic scholarships.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast