Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Women's Central Region

Default 2019 Women's Central Region

2019 NCAA Division II Women's Basketball Championship Central Region Tournament Quarterfinal Matchups
    No. 1 Fort Hays State (30-1) vs. No. 8 Pittsburg State (21-8)
    No. 4 Minnesota Duluth (23-6) vs. No. 5 Minnesota State Moorhead (26-6)
    No. 2 Southwestern Oklahoma State (30-1) vs. No. 7 Emporia State (22-8)
    No. 3 Central Missouri (24-6) vs. No. 6 Lindenwood (21-7)

Every match up is a rematch from earlier in the year, very interesting but unavoidable. I am curious if this is the case in any other region? Men or Women?? MIAA shows dominance when it pulls in 5 of the 8 spots and the 4 seed in the conference doesn't get in.

FHSU is 2-0 vs Pitt
    Duluth is 2-1 vs Moorhead
    SWOSU is 0-1 vs Emporia - a cross conference rematch from the beginning of the year with SWOSU only loss
    Central is 3-0 vs Lindendwood
    Last edited by TigerAlum; 03-11-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Default Re: 2019 Women's Central Region

Records against the field
    FHSU 6-1
    ESU 5-2
    UCM 3-4
    PSU 2-6
    LWU 2-5
    MSUM 2-2
    UMD 2-1
    SWOSU 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post
    Records against the field
    FHSU 6-1
    ESU 5-2
    UCM 3-4
    PSU 2-6
    LWU 2-5
    MSUM 2-2
    UMD 2-1
    SWOSU 0-1
    You did forget to point out that Emporia has 5 losses to MIAA teams not good enough to make the field which is more that the other 4 MIAA teams in the field combined. ;)
    Last edited by Randy; 03-12-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Oh, don't be a bully - "Hornetfan"'s job is to make the Hornets look as good as possible ...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    You did forget to point out that Emporia has 5 losses to MIAA teams not good enough to make the field which is more that the other 4 MIAA teams in the field combined. ;)
    But they also are the only team that has been SWOSU and also beat FHSU.

Moorhead versus UMD. Flip a coin. Evenly matched. Moorhead makes outside shots they win. If not, they lose.

Heard some SWOSU fans aren't very happy they aren't hosting, that they won and got jumped from hosting - including the GAC commissioner even posting a tweet about it.

The truth is that FHSU started out in regional rankings #1 and got jumped by SWOSU even after only winning. SWOSU was #1 in the last two rankings and then FHSU jumped them back to host.

Saw a SWOSU post about them being asked to prove it - I think the vast majority of the MIAA schools would like to say to SWOSU to prove it - play a few more MIAA teams.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerAlum View Post
    Hornetfan knows I'm just yanking his chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Oh, don't be a bully - "Hornetfan"'s job is to make the Hornets look as good as possible ...
    At least we didn't lose to MoSo. :)

The sad thing is how little interaction there is between the top teams in the region. Moorehead vs. Pitt and SWOSU vs. ESU are the only non-con matchups among the eight teams in the regional. Most MIAA schools had between eight and ten non-con games. The league is right in the middle of the region. Everyone in the league had at least two "true" (vs.GAC or NSIC) in-region games, but most of those were part of a regional challenge. The only teams in the MIAA that could get additional true in region games were UCO, ESU, PSU, MSSU and NSU. Five out of 14 took the effort to schedule stand alone games with the other conferences.

There are a lot of reasons for this. Some teams may want only home games to get the ticket revenue, some teams may want to schedule NAIA's to boost their win total and get a little confidence going into league play, some might have a big trip planned that takes away 2-3 potential games. But the bottom line is there isn't a lot of interaction among the top teams in the region during the regular season.

I'll pick straight chalk all the way through

At least we didn't lose to MoSo. :)

The sad thing is how little interaction there is between the top teams in the region. Moorehead vs. Pitt and SWOSU vs. ESU are the only non-con matchups among the eight teams in the regional. Most MIAA schools had between eight and ten non-con games. The league is right in the middle of the region. Everyone in the league had at least two "true" (vs.GAC or NSIC) in-region games, but most of those were part of a regional challenge. The only teams in the MIAA that could get additional true in region games were UCO, ESU, PSU, MSSU and NSU. Five out of 14 took the effort to schedule stand alone games with the other conferences.

There are a lot of reasons for this. Some teams may want only home games to get the ticket revenue, some teams may want to schedule NAIA's to boost their win total and get a little confidence going into league play, some might have a big trip planned that takes away 2-3 potential games. But the bottom line is there isn't a lot of interaction among the top teams in the region during the regular season.
    Way too few do recently ...

Somethings that could play into impact:
    - GMC is a very large facility with the back wall behind the basket a long ways away and up - MIAA schools should be a bit more familiar with this but it definitely impacts (what we see at the MIAA tournament in Municipal in KC - teams usually don't shoot well the first game out).

- Teams playing in front of large crowds. The FHSU team will bring out a very large number of fans for their games. Friday afternoon games will not be impacted but even Saturday's game of Friday's winners in the other half the bracket I would expect a large number of FHSU fans out as long as FHSU wins.
    - MIAA teams say it is hard to play here as it is a longer trip as well as not much out here so it makes it seem like an even longer trip - wears on teams. The flight requirement per NCAA D2 is more than 600 miles - that leaves the Minnesota teams flying but others driving.
    - Lastly - REMATCHES ALL AROUND - EVERYONE GETS A REMATCH!! Rematches are hard - especially when it will be the 3rd and 4th time teams will have played.

Great looking facility!

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Great looking facility!
    It really is a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Great looking facility!
    Capacity of 6,800....last time FHSU hosted they had just under 5,000 at the regional final which they were in against Emporia.

Average attendance at home games for this year pulled from the miaa site: Fort Hays State 2,232.0

Capacity of 6,800....last time FHSU hosted they had just under 5,000 at the regional final which they were in against Emporia.

Average attendance at home games for this year pulled from the miaa site: Fort Hays State 2,232.0
    You did forget to point out that Emporia State won that game 66-61. :)

I wasn't wanting to live in the past since it is 2019 and was referring to crowd size possibilities and not scores of games. :)

Do you think Emporia will make it to Monday this year???

I think it is the nicest facility in Division II in the country. In the mid 80's the FHSU men won back to back NAIA titles and the place was packed every night. Great atmosphere. I played there and we got beat soundly. It was the closest thing to a Division I atmosphere that I have seen or played in.

I wasn't wanting to live in the past since it is 2019 and was referring to crowd size possibilities and not scores of games. :)

Do you think Emporia will make it to Monday this year???
    Fair enough.

I think ESU is talented enough to make it to Monday. They have had a habit of playing to their competition this year, hence the 5-2 record against the teams in the field and six losses against teams not in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Btech#3 View Post
    I think it is the nicest facility in Division II in the country. In the mid 80's the FHSU men won back to back NAIA titles and the place was packed every night. Great atmosphere. I played there and we got beat soundly. It was the closest thing to a Division I atmosphere that I have seen or played in.
    I would agree. It's probably better than a bunch of the low to mid-major D-I arenas to be honest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast