Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Women's Central Region

Default Re: 2019 Women's Central Region

It's surprising after looking at Google Maps that Southwestern Oklahoma is actually closer to Hays than any other MIAA teams in the field outside of Emporia. That's a long bus ride for Lindenwood.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerAlum View Post
    Somethings that could play into impact:
    - GMC is a very large facility with the back wall behind the basket a long ways away and up - MIAA schools should be a bit more familiar with this but it definitely impacts (what we see at the MIAA tournament in Municipal in KC - teams usually don't shoot well the first game out).

- Teams playing in front of large crowds. The FHSU team will bring out a very large number of fans for their games. Friday afternoon games will not be impacted but even Saturday's game of Friday's winners in the other half the bracket I would expect a large number of FHSU fans out as long as FHSU wins.
    - MIAA teams say it is hard to play here as it is a longer trip as well as not much out here so it makes it seem like an even longer trip - wears on teams. The flight requirement per NCAA D2 is more than 600 miles - that leaves the Minnesota teams flying but others driving.
    - Lastly - REMATCHES ALL AROUND - EVERYONE GETS A REMATCH!! Rematches are hard - especially when it will be the 3rd and 4th time teams will have played.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post
    You did forget to point out that Emporia State won that game 66-61. :)

Ole Hornetfan is really working it overtime as a lobbyist for ESU.....might make a good politician. I like his passion in supporting the Hornets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
    Ole Hornetfan is really working it overtime as a lobbyist for ESU.....might make a good politician. I like his passion in supporting the Hornets.
    Politics would be way to hard.

I would agree. It's probably better than a bunch of the low to mid-major D-I arenas to be honest.
    In the last few years they have done several updates to the facility to improve it - video board, updated locker rooms and athletic training room.

Fair enough.

I think ESU is talented enough to make it to Monday. They have had a habit of playing to their competition this year, hence the 5-2 record against the teams in the field and six losses against teams not in the field.
    That’s a large road in front of them to make it too Monday (as it is for anyone) but I do believe they will give SWOSU a run again. I am looking forward to that game on Friday.

It is such an interesting region with all games rematches as I have stated before as well as a SWOSU team who is the only team from the GAC but just the one blemish. I look at SWOSU kinda like UCF the last few years in college footballl - they put a good record and want the respect but everyone knows the conference just doesn’t compare.

Who is headed to FHSU for the regional tournament????

7. Default Re: 2019 Women's Central Region

This guy!!

Heard Moorhead had trouble getting to Hays and may not get into town until Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by dodger View Post
    It's surprising after looking at Google Maps that Southwestern Oklahoma is actually closer to Hays than any other MIAA teams in the field outside of Emporia. That's a long bus ride for Lindenwood.
    The NSIC laughs at this, as 9 of the 16 schools have longer road trips IN-CONFERENCE than the 497 miles Lindenwood travels to Hays. This includes three schools each with 3 road trips longer and one school with 5 trips longer in-conference.

Heard Moorhead had trouble getting to Hays and may not get into town until Friday.
    Correct statement. Winter from hell...that will not end. Wait for the spring flooding next.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    The NSIC laughs at this, as 9 of the 16 schools have longer road trips IN-CONFERENCE than the 497 miles Lindenwood travels to Hays. This includes three schools each with 3 road trips longer and one school with 5 trips longer in-conference.
    For the record, Lindenwood-Hays is for the time being also in conference. But yes, the MIAA is blessed with relatively short travel. I think there are only two 500+ mile road trips UNK-Lindenwood and UNK-NSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Correct statement. Winter from hell...that will not end. Wait for the spring flooding next.
    the flooding in Nebraska is very bad right now!!! Worst it has been in decades!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    But yes, the MIAA is blessed with relatively short travel. I think there are only two 500+ mile road trips UNK-Lindenwood and UNK-NSU.
    The sad thing is how little interaction there is between the top teams in the region. Moorehead vs. Pitt and SWOSU vs. ESU are the only non-con matchups among the eight teams in the regional. Most MIAA schools had between eight and ten non-con games. The league is right in the middle of the region. Everyone in the league had at least two "true" (vs.GAC or NSIC) in-region games, but most of those were part of a regional challenge. The only teams in the MIAA that could get additional true in region games were UCO, ESU, PSU, MSSU and NSU. Five out of 14 took the effort to schedule stand alone games with the other conferences.

There are a lot of reasons for this. Some teams may want only home games to get the ticket revenue, some teams may want to schedule NAIA's to boost their win total and get a little confidence going into league play, some might have a big trip planned that takes away 2-3 potential games. But the bottom line is there isn't a lot of interaction among the top teams in the region during the regular season.
    These two things are partially connected, if you ask me. Not only does the MIAA have short travel within the conference, but it also has shorter travel to play nonconference games against other D2s.

Just using a couple of tournament teams as an example....

MSU-Moorhead's shortest possible nonconference D2 road trip is to Michigan Tech (455 miles). Looking at Fort Hays, they had nonconference D2 games this year against Newman (189 miles), UC-Colorado Springs (320 miles), and Chadron State (433 miles) that all counted as in-region games. Missouri schools have even more nearby schools to pick from. Central Missouri played UAFS (292 miles) and Rockhurst (55 miles) this year, while Lindenwood played UM-St Louis (14 miles), UI-Springfield (108 miles), Drury (219 miles), Truman State (183 miles) and Quincy (119 miles). There's no need for them to drive up to Minnesota to play "in-region" games when all of those games also count towards the in-region record.

Game 1 is in the books.
    UCM 76- Lwood 64

UCM 76 -Lindenwood 64.

UCM 25-6 moves on to the semi- finals.

Lindenwood finishes at 21-8 with 4 of those loses to UCM (ouch)

Next game up is Emporia State vs. Southwestern Oklahoma.

Come on Hornets, show those Okies that their only loss to ESU was no fluke.

SWOSU wins by 6 over Emporia. Emporia was up 10 in the 4th quarter and SWOSU went on a run.

ESU played a great game, but came up a little short at the end. Tough loss for the Hornets, I thought they would win. SW Okla. moves on to play UCM in a semi-final game at 5:00 Saturday.

GO JENNIES

FHSU wins 74-65 over Pitt State.

It was a good game played by Pitt, they played zone on FHSU and took some of FHSU's better players out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
    ESU played a great game, but came up a little short at the end. Tough loss for the Hornets, I thought they would win. SW Okla. moves on to play UCM in a semi-final game at 5:00 Saturday.

GO JENNIES
    I also thought ESU was going to pull it out - I had hoped so!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast