Thread: New Coaches

Default New Coaches

Just my takes on the new hires with the little I know.

ATU
    HC: Atteberry- I think he will awake the sleeping giant in the conference and will be competing for conference championships within a couple years. He has a lot better facilities and more resources then he did at SE and will thrive with them.
    DC: Burks- Although I have heard he took an NFL job, would be a huge lose for the wonder boys. Great DC that really thrived his last couple of years with Atteberry at SE. Anticipate his defenses to be at the top of the conference if he is still there.
    OC: Shipp-ATU alum that has proven himself in the conference. I think he has the capability to go great things on Offense, but will have higher expectations then he did at UAM.

UAM
    DC: Brown? Had heard he was going to get promoted from DB's coach, but have not heard. I think he is an up and comer but has never coordinated a defense before.
    OC: Lusby- He has big shoes to fill with Shipp leaving. Has a good diverse background and has been in the conference before and called plays at the JUCO level, but has only called plays for 1 year, could be a concern.

NWOSU
    OC: Weeden- He has been at NWOSU and knows the conference a little, but think this will be his first time coordinating. Biggest upside to him is I hear he is a great recruiter and can recruit OK and Texas.

SE
    HC: Fenwick- Looks like a homerun hire on paper, has had success and won some game at the D2 level, but will say the GAC is a lot stronger then the GLVC. Not impressed by his coordinator hires, both are older guys with zero ties to the area, which I think will hurt recruiting.
    OC: Throckmorton- Looks like a good experienced coach that has called plays at the D2 level. Although looks like he only made it as OC for 1 season which is a red flag.
    DC: Johnson- Can't figure this one out, has never coached D2 or coached outside the state of Cali. And not a young guy that can recruit.

Default Re: New Coaches

ATU: Burks has taken a job with the Miami Dolphins.

UAM: Bailey took a job at Texas A&M, Brown is now a GA at Colorado State.

3. Default Re: New Coaches

Atterberry out, shipp names HC. What I’m the world is going on at tech?!

Quote Originally Posted by FootballFanWin View Post
    Atterberry out, shipp names HC. What I’m the world is going on at tech?!
    I think ATU just backed into a better coach, TBH.

Just my two cents.

Holy Smokes.......prayers for the health of Coach Atterberry. Excited for Coach Shipp. He will be excellent

6. Default Re: New Coaches

Better Coach?? Won average of 3 games a year as an OC, compared to a guys averaging 7 wins a year as a head coach, and has taken D2 teams to the post-season.

Quote Originally Posted by txfootball View Post
    Better Coach?? Won average of 3 games a year as an OC, compared to a guys averaging 7 wins a year as a head coach, and has taken D2 teams to the post-season.
    He will be a great HC

Tell us why your opinion should matter? I’d rather let the chips fall and see the results.

Quote Originally Posted by txfootball View Post
    1) Comparing an OC position to an HC position is an apples-to-oranges comparison. An OC only has input on the offense. An HC has input/veto regarding the entire team.

2) Yes, Atterberry averaged 6-7 wins a season, but the last time he took a team to the post-season was the 2014 Texarkana Bowl. UAM went to the Corsicana Bowl this past season. So, your statement, which seems to imply that Shipp has never been to the post-season as an OC, is not accurate.

Having said that, I do agree with the implied suggestion that a great/good coordinator does not necessarily make a great/good head coach.

9. Default Re: New Coaches

Never said he wasn't going to be a great head coach, just saying a little premature saying he is going to be better then a guy that has won a lot of games at the D2 level. And I think Atterberry probably turned that bowl game down and that's how UAM got it.

Exactly the point I was making, just because your a good OC doesn't mean your going to be a good HC.

Watching Shipp over the last several years, I’m excited to see how he handles it. MY opinion is he will do great and we will see the conference settle more at .500

Quote Originally Posted by Weevil Watcher View Post
    Watching Shipp over the last several years, I’m excited to see how he handles it. MY opinion is he will do great and we will see the conference settle more at .500
    What do you mean see the conference settle more at .500?

Quote Originally Posted by Divisiontwo View Post
    What do you mean see the conference settle more at .500?
    the middle to lower tier teams are getting better, and with ALL conference games, I see 8-3, 7-4 winning it all at some point. Just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth to you.

Shipp is highly organized and good at second half adjustments. He will put his stamp on both sides of the ball. They will contend immediately.

the middle to lower tier teams are getting better, and with ALL conference games, I see 8-3, 7-4 winning it all at some point. Just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth to you.

Shipp is highly organized and good at second half adjustments. He will put his stamp on both sides of the ball. They will contend immediately.
    I agree with part of your assessment. I don't see 8-3 or 7-4 winning the league anytime soon, but I do think it could be less lopsided moving forward with some of the teams.

I agree with part of your assessment. I don't see 8-3 or 7-4 winning the league anytime soon, but I do think it could be less lopsided moving forward with some of the teams.
    I think this is the year 8-3 wins it

I’d bet a bootleg run to Des Arc on it.

$100 max for you big monied bison

I think this is the year 8-3 wins it

I’d bet a bootleg run to Des Arc on it.

$100 max for you big monied bison

Lol. That’s easy money on my end.

Lol. That’s easy money on my end.
    Are you saying the bisons will be more than 8-3 this year?

Are you saying the bisons will be more than 8-3 this year?
    I think there’s a really good chance that the bisons will be above 8-3 and I think there’s a really good chance OBU is above 8-3