Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saggy Head Coach Cannidates

Default Saggy Head Coach Cannidates

Let's see who everyone thinks would be a good fit at Saggy. Coaches within the league, outside of the league.
    If you have insider info, spill.

I hate the off season when it's dead on here

Default Re: Saggy Head Coach Cannidates

They will be posting the job today...I can't divulge my pick...yet

I don't think it'll be too hard to figure out who the top candidates will be. A couple guys have been going after each of the last few GLIAC head coach openings. I'm sure the same names will pop up for this one.
    Last edited by KleShreen; 02-26-2019 at 09:35 AM.

4. Default Re: Saggy Head Coach Cannidates

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    I don't think it'll be too hard to figure out who the top candidates will be. A couple guys have been going after each of the last few GLIAC head coach openings. I'm sure the same names will pop up for this one.
    Who do you have in mind Kle.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerblue View Post
    Who do you have in mind Kle.
    I got nothin'!

Mark Staten?

7. Default Re: Saggy Head Coach Cannidates

Quote Originally Posted by BeachinLaker View Post
    Mark Staten?
    He was a finalist for the Northern Michigan job a few years ago along with (at the time) two GLIAC coordinators (Postma and Nystrom), then he pulled his name out. I don't think that Staten would be a good hire- I think somebody in the league should get the job, the GLIAC has very little turnover, and the coaches within the league know it very well. Bringing in somebody of that caliber will help in recruiting, but they set themselves back as far as knowing the little things about the GLIAC IMO. The only problem is, not many Asst. coaches in the GLIAC may be ready.

The Last few GLIAC searches yielded

Davenport- Hired Sparky McEwen from Ferris State

Northern Michigan- Hired Kyle Nystrom from Ferris State

Michigan Tech- Hired Steve Olson from Michigan Tech

Northwood- Hired Leonard Haynes from Northwood

Carl Spackler might be the right guy...

Quote Originally Posted by champgymusa View Post
    Carl Spackler might be the right guy...
    Saggy does have that pond by the south end zone. You may be on to something, Champy...

Quote Originally Posted by Irishlaker View Post
    Saggy does have that pond by the south end zone. You may be on to something, Champy...
    AND he has the Dalai Lama in his corner too so I guess he's got that going for him.

11. Default Re: Saggy Head Coach Cannidates

LOL

saggy have you heard anything?

LOL

saggy have you heard anything?
    I believe making Mr. Decker the AD was a good move. Legal eagle who played football for Nebraska when Nebraska was Nebraska. He's got the football acumen and he's a football guy so it's his chance to put a stamp on the program. He'll get the right guy and for me to suggest I know anything about the next guy would be speculative. I've got a lot of buddies that are in the coaching profession and a few I would recommend for this job...

Can't believe there hasn't been any leaks of names yet. Footballscoop hasn't even mentioned anything about the spot and it has been a week.

In your opinion....why doesn't Saginaw Valley win like they did in the 2000's?

Hey, if Lee Owens wants to make sure that he still gets to coach in the GLIAC maybe he could go to Saggy.

16. Default Re: Saggy Head Coach Cannidates

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Can't believe there hasn't been any leaks of names yet. Footballscoop hasn't even mentioned anything about the spot and it has been a week.
    How has nothing leaked yet? who are the top candidates?

How has nothing leaked yet? who are the top candidates?
    Your guess is as good as everyone else's! I just keep checking http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    In your opinion....why doesn't Saginaw Valley win like they did in the 2000's?
    I can only respond from my 5 years of experience with SVSU....err, my son's 5 years. You can go back to my earliest posts...even when they had Jennings and Janis I stated that Sags offense was pretty easy to stop which GVSU did twice in a row that season. The offense was pretty basic, Janis Go Route and a heave from Jennings. Once they graduated, Collins couldn't quite figure out why that play would no longer work...those two players masked a lot of ills and Collins never recovered from their departure. This year, the O-line coach was calling offensive plays and from all indications, the players bought in and it worked. It was also my understanding that the new D-line coach did the same on defense until Gonzaga put the Kibosh on it...so my short answer as to why they fell off the radar...coaching. Alabama was great with Bear Bryant but so-so up until Saban took them back to greatness. IU used to win NCAA national championships... with Bobby Knight. GVSU had a hell of a National Championship run with Kelly...but none since. The Zenmaster won how many championships in Chicago? He's gone and so are the championships. I know players make a huge difference but it's still up to the coach to gauge his players skill sets and put them in schemes that allow them to succeed. So that is my short answer regarding Saggy's recent struggles...

[QUOTE=saggydad;2363284]I can only respond from my 5 years of experience with SVSU....err, my son's 5 years. You can go back to my earliest posts...even when they had Jennings and Janis I stated that Sags offense was pretty easy to stop which GVSU did twice in a row that season. The offense was pretty basic, Janis Go Route and a heave from Jennings. Once they graduated, Collins couldn't quite figure out why that play would no longer work...those two players masked a lot of ills and Collins never recovered from their departure. This year, the O-line coach was calling offensive plays and from all indications, the players bought in and it worked. It was also my understanding that the new D-line coach did the same on defense until Gonzaga put the Kibosh on it...so my short answer as to why they fell off the radar...coaching. Alabama was great with Bear Bryant but so-so up until Saban took them back to greatness. IU used to win NCAA national championships... with Bobby Knight. GVSU had a hell of a National Championship run with Kelly...but none since. The Zenmaster won how many championships in Chicago? He's gone and so are the championships. I know players make a huge difference but it's still up to the coach to gauge his players skill sets and put them in schemes that allow them to succeed. So that is my short answer regarding Saggy's recent struggles

As a parent of a current player, I can tell you with 100% certainty Jim Collins called the offense and Adam Gonzaga called the defense the entire year. I can't speak to anything else but i do know that. Unless of course my son was lying to me which is possible but i am not sure why he would.

[QUOTE=svsu;2363366]
    Quote Originally Posted by saggydad View Post
    I can only respond from my 5 years of experience with SVSU....err, my son's 5 years. You can go back to my earliest posts...even when they had Jennings and Janis I stated that Sags offense was pretty easy to stop which GVSU did twice in a row that season. The offense was pretty basic, Janis Go Route and a heave from Jennings. Once they graduated, Collins couldn't quite figure out why that play would no longer work...those two players masked a lot of ills and Collins never recovered from their departure. This year, the O-line coach was calling offensive plays and from all indications, the players bought in and it worked. It was also my understanding that the new D-line coach did the same on defense until Gonzaga put the Kibosh on it...so my short answer as to why they fell off the radar...coaching. Alabama was great with Bear Bryant but so-so up until Saban took them back to greatness. IU used to win NCAA national championships... with Bobby Knight. GVSU had a hell of a National Championship run with Kelly...but none since. The Zenmaster won how many championships in Chicago? He's gone and so are the championships. I know players make a huge difference but it's still up to the coach to gauge his players skill sets and put them in schemes that allow them to succeed. So that is my short answer regarding Saggy's recent struggles

As a parent of a current player, I can tell you with 100% certainty Jim Collins called the offense and Adam Gonzaga called the defense the entire year. I can't speak to anything else but i do know that. Unless of course my son was lying to me which is possible but i am not sure why he would.
    Best to your son and the entire team. I am a fan of the program and have always been supportive of the players and certain coaches. I stand by my previous comments. In fact, if I was a betting man, I'm sure Saggy is interviewing the offensive line coach (Drew Burton) for the head job. Time will tell. Best of luck to current and future Cards!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast