Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Regional Rankings 2019

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Regional Rankings 2019

An otherwise non-qualifier winning the GLVC is not vey likely, it would have to be Truman, UMSL, or Rockhurst. The other two leagues, however, are another story. I would be surprised if all three of the league tournaments are won by teams in the top eight of the final regional rankings. Of course the fact that the best team in the GLIAC is not eligible means that I am hardly going out on a limb in my prediction. Of the number one seeds in the conference tourneys, Findlay would have to be considered the biggest favorite. Lewis is the least likely to win.
    Last edited by Knightmoves; 03-04-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Grand Valley beat Ashland tonight and Northern Michigan drilled Ferris.

Good news for the teams on the bubble is that Ferris is toast. It’s a lead pipe cinch they’ll drop out of the top 8. Bad news is that unless Northern Michigan wins the GLIAC, either Lake St, Parkside, or Grand Valley will get their auto-bid. All 3 of those teams are unranked.

3. Default Re: Regional Rankings 2019

I had a feeling Parkside would win the conference tournament. A Luke Reigel coached team is not who I would want to play in round #1 as what likely would be the 8 seed. Then again wouldn’t want to face Drury either.

Quote Originally Posted by DUPanther View Post

Good news for the teams on the bubble is that Ferris is toast. It’s a lead pipe cinch they’ll drop out of the top 8. Bad news is that unless Northern Michigan wins the GLIAC, either Lake St, Parkside, or Grand Valley will get their auto-bid. All 3 of those teams are unranked.

If Northern Michigan wins the GLIAC tournament, does the GLIAC become a one bid league or is Ashland still in despite some not so good losses lately (two home losses to GVSU, losing to SVSU)?

Quote Originally Posted by DUPanther View Post

If Davenport wins Saturday, a non ranked team is in the NCAA, it will be the winner of the Parkside v. GVU game.

Quote Originally Posted by ftballfan View Post
    If Northern Michigan wins the GLIAC tournament, does the GLIAC become a one bid league or is Ashland still in despite some not so good losses lately (two home losses to GVSU, losing to SVSU)?
    Ashland is in no matter what.
    Is NMU in even if they lose to Davenport?

MIDWEST
    Rank School Overall DII Record In-Region Record
    1 Lewis 20-4 20-4
    2 Bellarmine 22-4 22-4
    3 Findlay 23-3 23-3
    4 Southern Indiana 19-7 18-7
    5 Ashland 18-5 18-5
    6 UIndy 16-8 16-6
    7 Ferris State 16-11 16-11
    8 Northern Michigan 16-11 16-11
    9 Hillsdale 17-9 17-9
    10 Drury 15-10 15-6

Can not believe 7-10

I really don't see how Ferris stayed at 7 despite losing to LakeSupier last week. The crime is they left Drury at 10 even though ferris and hillsdale lost.

Gonna be a lot of wOw on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    Ultimately this is not an opinion question. When the decision was made to allow Davenport to participate in the tournament, there had to be a rule covering the conference's bid to the NCAA tournament in case a non-eligible team won the tournament. I would just like to hear or see from an official source what the rule is. It would be surprising if it was anything other than the runner up gets it, but I'd still like to see the rule.

P.S. Instead of cursing the darkness, I lit a candle and called the GLIAC SID. She confirmed that the tournament bid will go to the runner up if Davenport wins the conference tournament.
    So the winner of GVSU-Parkside will be in the tourney if Davenport wins their semi-final. If Davenport wins the GLIAC, the team they beat is in. If that teams wins, they earn the automatic bid.

The NCAA rule simply states the conference chooses the method of allocating the automatic bid for the NCAA tourney. I'm not sure the GLIAC actually has a written rule for this. Maybe the conference bylaws state something.

I think the GLIAC screwed up by allowing Davenport to compete in the GLIAC tourney. I don't think any team that is not eligible to receive the conference automatic bid should be eligible for the conference tourney. The only way I would change this opinion is if the GLIAC still uses the screwed up overall standing that they did at one time. You got ranked based on your regular season finish and tourney finish which determined the overall conference champion. I thought they ditched that about 2 decades ago though.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
    I think the GLIAC screwed up by allowing Davenport to compete in the GLIAC tourney. I don't think any team that is not eligible to receive the conference automatic bid should be eligible for the conference tourney.
    I agree. I don't know why they would put themselves behind the 8 ball by doing this.

12. Default Re: Regional Rankings 2019

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStalker View Post
    MIDWEST
    Rank School Overall DII Record In-Region Record
    1 Lewis 20-4 20-4
    2 Bellarmine 22-4 22-4
    3 Findlay 23-3 23-3
    4 Southern Indiana 19-7 18-7
    5 Ashland 18-5 18-5
    6 UIndy 16-8 16-6
    7 Ferris State 16-11 16-11
    8 Northern Michigan 16-11 16-11
    9 Hillsdale 17-9 17-9
    10 Drury 15-10 15-6

Can not believe 7-10
    A look at components of rankings:

Top 10 RPI
    1 Lewis
    2 Bellarmine
    3 Findlay
    4 Southern Indiana
    5 UIndy
    6 Ashland
    7 Northern Michigan
    8 Hillsdale
    9 Drury
    10 Ferris State
    17 Walsh

Top 10 PI
    1 Findlay
    2 Lewis
    3 Bellarmine
    4 Ashland
    5 Southern Indiana
    6 UIndy
    7 Ferris State
    8 Northern Michigan
    9 Walsh
    10 Hillsdale
    17 Drury

Drury's low PI is killing them. It looks like committee uses RPI to "sort" out teams and PI to rank them inside group.

Lewis, Bellarmine, and Findlay are about .01 apart from each other in RPI (.019 difference between 1st and 3rd)

USI, Ashland and Indy have RPI between .573-.579

Northern Michigan, Hillsdale, Drury, and Ferris State have RPI between .543-.545
    Last edited by WKYDave; 03-06-2019 at 04:04 PM.

UPDATED

1. Lewis (21-4) - Won on neutral court against Truman (72-55). Next game neutral vs #10 Drury.
    2. Bellarmine (22-4) - won in OT on neutral court against Rockhurst (75-64). Next game neutral vs #4 USI
    3. Findlay (24-3) - won at home against Alderson Broaddus (88-62). Next game home against Cedarville.
    3. Southern Indiana (20-7) - won on neutral court against UMSL (87-61), next game neutral vs #2 Bellarmine
    5. Ashland (18-6) - Lost at home to Grand Valley State (61-72)
    6. Indianapolis (16-9) - Lost on neutral court to #10 Drury (65-71)
    7. Ferris State (16-12) - Lost at home to #8 Northern Michigan (73-89)
    8. Northern Michigan (17-11) - Won on the road at #7 Ferris State (89-73), Next game on road at Davenport
    9. Hillsdale (18-9) - Won at home against Lake Erie (60-59), next game neutral vs Walsh
    10. Drury (16-10) - Won on neutral court against #6 UIndy (71-65). Next game neutral vs #1 Lewis.

Who is still standing (eligible for auto bids):
    GLVC:
    #1 Lewis
    #2 Bellarmine
    #4 Southern Indiana
    #10 Drury

GLIAC (Davenport can't take the bid):
    #8 Northern Michigan
    Wisconsin-Parkside
    Grand Valley State

GMAC:
    #3 Findlay
    #9 Hillsdale
    Cedarville
    Walsh
    Last edited by schnautza; 03-07-2019 at 10:32 PM. Reason: updating games

I've got a gut feeling that the loser of UIndy/Drury will be sitting at home. This will be the most important game either team has played this season.
    I believe Ferris is already gone.
    I believe the top 4 can take a first round loss and still make the tourney, though for USI this will likely mean dropping to a 7 or 8 seed.
    Ashland is a tough one to call at this stage, but I think they are barely safe.

15. Default Re: Regional Rankings 2019

I don’t come on this board much but as it’s conference tournament season I thought I’d pop on and see what was being talked about. The GLIAC is really shooting themselves in the foot by even allowing Davenport to even participate in the tournament. I think it’s likely that Davenport wins their semifinal so I think Wisconsin-Parkside gets the auto bid most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD2 View Post
    I don’t come on this board much but as it’s conference tournament season I thought I’d pop on and see what was being talked about. The GLIAC is really shooting themselves in the foot by even allowing Davenport to even participate in the tournament. I think it’s likely that Davenport wins their semifinal so I think Wisconsin-Parkside gets the auto bid most likely.
    Actually the GLIAC has devised a brilliant plan to increase their representation on the NCAA tournament.

Actually the GLIAC has devised a brilliant plan to increase their representation on the NCAA tournament.
    Devious!

Exactly, by having Ashland lose right away they set it up for a second bid for a team that won't even have beaten a ranked team in the GLIAC tourney.

It's a trap!!!

Gonna be a fun day of basketball on Saturday!!! Potential for one hot mess in the final rankings. GLVC starts at 12:00(1:00 EST), GMAC starts at 2:00 EST and GLIAC starts at 3:00 EST. D2 MBB gotta love it!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast