Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Regional Rankings 2019

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Regional Rankings 2019

Observation:
    Lewis, Bellarmine, USI, and Drury are 4 of only 21 teams that have beaten 5 or more ranked opponents. Lewis leads the charge, being the only one with 9 wins.

2. Default Re: Regional Rankings 2019

If Bellarmine would lose another game they might just move up to #1! Still a lot of hoops to be played, plenty of twists and turns ahead.

I think there is a good chance that Drury makes the tournament if they win three straight games.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    I think there is a good chance that Drury makes the tournament if they win three straight games.
    The one thing to remember is that basically, an at-large team needs to play for the 7-seed assuming that one of the conferences will have a "bid thief," so getting up three spots might be trickier. Also, with the GLIAC having Davenport as the favorite but unable to qualify, it might end up being easier for a GLIAC team to make the NCAA tournament as the auto qualifier, because all that might need to be done is just make the conference championship game. If someone like Grand Valley or Northern Michigan gets a good draw and makes the title game, that's a bid thief.

Quote Originally Posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
    The one thing to remember is that basically, an at-large team needs to play for the 7-seed assuming that one of the conferences will have a "bid thief," so getting up three spots might be trickier. Also, with the GLIAC having Davenport as the favorite but unable to qualify, it might end up being easier for a GLIAC team to make the NCAA tournament as the auto qualifier, because all that might need to be done is just make the conference championship game. If someone like Grand Valley or Northern Michigan gets a good draw and makes the title game, that's a bid thief.
    So has anyone officially determined who gets the auto bid if Davenport wins GLIAC tourney? Is it definitely the runner-up in the tourney? The only other method is if the conference somehow got to choose their representative, I guess. I am not sure I have ever seen this scenario, the best team in the conference not eligible for NCAA tourney but eligible for conference tourney. Kudos to Davenport for being such a great competitor right out of the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStalker View Post
    So has anyone officially determined who gets the auto bid if Davenport wins GLIAC tourney? Is it definitely the runner-up in the tourney? The only other method is if the conference somehow got to choose their representative, I guess. I am not sure I have ever seen this scenario, the best team in the conference not eligible for NCAA tourney but eligible for conference tourney. Kudos to Davenport for being such a great competitor right out of the gate.
    I can't figure out where I saw it, but I remember seeing it somewhere that it's either the tourney champ or the runner-up if the tourney champ is DU.

Quote Originally Posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
    I can't figure out where I saw it, but I remember seeing it somewhere that it's either the tourney champ or the runner-up if the tourney champ is DU.
    I believe you saw it on here, but it was just an assumption. Nobody has pointed to any kind of official source. The only other logical possibility is that it goes to the regular season champ, but of course that is also Davenport.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStalker View Post
    I suppose if the conference tourney is fairly seeded, then the other finalist would rightfully get it...? But how many times have we seen a tournament that the semifinal round was tougher than the final round? If Davenport beats a really good team in semis, who is to say that they weren't more deserving than a team that Davenport beats in the finals?

I'd be tempted to say that the lost auto-bid would have to become an at-large bid. Let the committee determine who deserves it most.

Ultimately this is not an opinion question. When the decision was made to allow Davenport to participate in the tournament, there had to be a rule covering the conference's bid to the NCAA tournament in case a non-eligible team won the tournament. I would just like to hear or see from an official source what the rule is. It would be surprising if it was anything other than the runner up gets it, but I'd still like to see the rule.

P.S. Instead of cursing the darkness, I lit a candle and called the GLIAC SID. She confirmed that the tournament bid will go to the runner up if Davenport wins the conference tournament.
    Last edited by Knightmoves; 02-28-2019 at 10:44 AM.

P.S. Instead of cursing the darkness, I lit a candle and called the GLIAC SID. She confirmed that the tournament bid will go to the runner up if Davenport wins the conference tournament.
    That right there is the hard work that earns you a reputation point! (I don't know what that actually does, but thanks!)

Ultimately you really do not want to be the 4,5 or 8 seed in the GLIAC tournament. There is a decent chance that the 2,3,6 or 7 only has to win two games to get into the NCAA tournament. Of course Ashland is already the 2 and they are already in the NCAA.

This isn't Midwest but it's a pretty good story

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...rseys-3-secure

Instead of cursing the darkness, I lit a candle and called the GLIAC SID. She confirmed that the tournament bid will go to the runner up if Davenport wins the conference tournament.
    Dude, you have too much time on your hands.

Results so far this week:

Men:
    1. Lewis - W 69-67 at Quincy (Thurs); at Truman (Sat)
    2. Bellarmine - W 75-48 at McKendree (Thurs); at Illinois Springfield (Sat)
    3. Findlay - W 81-59 vs. Kentucky Wesleyan (Thurs); vs. Trevecca Nazarene (Sat)
    4. Southern Indiana - W 93-83 at Illinois Springfield (Thurs); at McKendree (Sat)
    5. Ashland - W 70-63 at Wayne State (Thurs); vs. Grand Valley (Tues)
    6. UIndy - W 84-77 at Truman State (Thurs); at Quincy (Sat)
    7. Ferris State - L 66-86 at Lake Superior (Thurs); vs. #9 Northern Michigan (Tues)
    8. Hillsdale - W 78-52 vs. Trevecca Nazarene (Thurs); vs. Kentucky Wesleyan (Sat)
    9. Northern Michigan - W 74-53 vs. Michigan Tech (Thurs); at #7 Ferris State (Tues)
    10. Drury - W 79-71 vs. Rockhurst (Thurs); vs. William Jewell (Sat)

Women:
    1. Drury - W 90-67 vs. Rockhurst (Thurs); vs. William Jewell (Sat)
    2. Lewis - W 101-64 at Quincy (Thurs); at #6 Truman (Sat)
    3. Grand Valley - W 73-48 at Davenport (Thurs); vs. Wayne State (Tues)
    4. Ashland - W 94-53 at Wayne State (Thurs); vs. Parkside (Tues)
    5. Northern Michigan - L 55-60 vs. #10 Michigan Tech (Thurs); vs. Ferris State (Tues)
    6. Truman - L 70-75 (OT) vs. UIndy (Thurs); vs. #2 Lewis (Sat)
    7. Kentucky Wesleyan - L 71-75 at Findlay (Thurs); at Hillsdale (Sat)
    8. Southern Indiana - W 72-44 at Illinois Springfield (Thurs); at McKendree (Sat)
    9. Cedarville - W 55-51 at Davis & Elkins (Thurs); at Alderson Broaddus (Sat)
    10. Michigan Tech - W 60-55 at #5 Northern Michigan (Thurs); vs. Northwood (Tues)

If your looking for a team to "steal" a bid, our old pals Wisc-Parkside is probably your most likely candidate. They are on the opposite side of Davenport in the GLIAC bracket and have the homecourt in the opening round with the #3 seed.
    The NMU v. Ferris game on Tuesday may be an elimination game for the NCAA tournament. Good chance the loser of that game is out.
    Last edited by Knightmoves; 03-01-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Got to think that Hillsdale losing to KWC @home no less, knocks Hillsdale out of the at-large picture. They going to have to win GMAC tourney. Barring upset wins in the tourneys I think its Drury in with the winner of the NMU Ferris game.

Results from last week:

Men:
    1. Lewis - W 69-67 at Quincy; W 79-58 at Truman
    2. Bellarmine - W 75-48 at McKendree; W 90-59 at Illinois Springfield
    3. Findlay - W 81-59 vs. Kentucky Wesleyan; W 85-57 vs. Trevecca Nazarene
    4. Southern Indiana - W 93-83 at Illinois Springfield; W 102-60 at McKendree
    5. Ashland - W 70-63 at Wayne State
    6. UIndy - W 84-77 at Truman State; W 86-83 at Quincy
    7. Ferris State - L 66-86 at Lake Superior
    8. Hillsdale - W 78-52 vs. Trevecca Nazarene; L 61-76 vs. Kentucky Wesleyan
    9. Northern Michigan - W 74-53 vs. Michigan Tech
    10. Drury - W 79-71 vs. Rockhurst; W 92-73 vs. William Jewell

Women:
    1. Drury - W 90-67 vs. Rockhurst; W 91-34 vs. William Jewell
    2. Lewis - W 101-64 at Quincy; L 67-89 at #6 Truman
    3. Grand Valley - W 73-48 at Davenport
    4. Ashland - W 94-53 at Wayne State
    5. Northern Michigan - L 55-60 vs. #10 Michigan Tech
    6. Truman - L 70-75 (OT) vs. UIndy; W 89-67 vs. #2 Lewis
    7. Kentucky Wesleyan - L 71-75 at Findlay; W 87-81 at Hillsdale
    8. Southern Indiana - W 72-44 at Illinois Springfield; W 75-73 (OT) at McKendree
    9. Cedarville - W 55-51 at Davis & Elkins; W 80-55 at Alderson Broaddus
    10. Michigan Tech - W 60-55 at #5 Northern Michigan

If I had to make predictions for this week's (final) regional rankings:
    1. Lewis
    2. Bellarmine
    3. Findlay
    4. USI
    5. Ashland
    6. UIndy
    (is there any debate for the top 6 now?)
    7-10 is a huge mess. The teams are so tightly clustered at this point. I think Ferris and Hillsdale had a little bit of breathing room last week, but with their losses this week, that puts them just about dead even with the rest of the field.
    But here we go.
    7. Drury
    8. Ferris State
    9. Northern Michigan
    10. Hillsdale

My next teams out (which could easily be in this poll, given how tight it appears to be). These are also threats for some auto-bid upsets
    11. Walsh
    12. UWP
    13. UMSL
    14. Ohio Dominican

Quote Originally Posted by schnautza View Post
    If I had to make predictions for this week's (final) regional rankings:
    1. Lewis
    2. Bellarmine
    3. Findlay
    4. USI
    5. Ashland
    6. UIndy
    (is there any debate for the top 6 now?)
    7-10 is a huge mess. The teams are so tightly clustered at this point. I think Ferris and Hillsdale had a little bit of breathing room last week, but with their losses this week, that puts them just about dead even with the rest of the field.
    But here we go.
    7. Drury
    8. Ferris State
    9. Northern Michigan
    10. Hillsdale

My next teams out (which could easily be in this poll, given how tight it appears to be). These are also threats for some auto-bid upsets
    11. Walsh
    12. UWP
    13. UMSL
    14. Ohio Dominican
    I agree with your predictions. I would go as far as to say 1-7 is decided (if the committee has Drury as #7 this week.) I don't see Drury losing that spot if they lose to Indy in the GLVC tourney. Now there maybe two upset winners in the conference tourneys (GLIAC looks especially primed to have an upset for their auto-bid) so Drury may get knocked out in that case. Drury along with Lewis are playing the best right now (Davenport does not count.) I think the committee will take that into consideration and put them in at 7.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast