Thread: Marauder 2019 News

Default Marauder 2019 News

https://twitter.com/GBrooksHS/status...409972736?s=20

Congratulations to Darren Cotten, 2019 UMary QB recruit on receiving this prestigious scholarship from the Chicago Bears and the NFL.

2. Default Re: Marauder 2019 News

Default Re: Marauder 2019 News

As an outsider, I will say that recruiting list looks much more promising for them for competing in D2 than Kotelnicki's 20+ North Dakota players from small Class B schools.

4. Default Re: Marauder 2019 News

Quote Originally Posted by Mandan View Post
    As an outsider, I will say that recruiting list looks much more promising for them for competing in D2 than Kotelnicki's 20+ North Dakota players from small Class B schools.

From what I had heard, Roger Thomas wouldn’t allow Josh to bring in JUCO. We’re not UND and we built the UMary program with JUCO’s back in the 80’s.

We can’t bring in the top ND talent and recruit against UND & NDSU.

5. Default Re: Marauder 2019 News

Congratulations to new UMary Co-Defensive Coordinator: Ben Davis former UMary DL Coach

Ben Davis: Can't be more excited to be back at UMary!! Looking forward to what is in store in the coming months!

https://benueagles.com/images/2018/8...terdetailimage

Davis joined the staff of Brad McCaslin for the 2018 season after a five-year tenure at the University of Mary and was elevated to the position of defensive coordinator in week seven of the season.

Davis coached the defensive line and also served as the recruiting coordinator at the University of Mary, helping elevate the team from 16th to eighth in sacks after almost tripling the total. The University of Mary also ranked third in Division II in field goal blocks in 2016 and first in 2017.

Davis opened his coaching career at his alma mater, MacMurray College. As a student, Davis started at multiple positions on the defensive line and was named academic all-conference. He also gathered the athletic department award for highest academic achievement upon graduation.
    Last edited by MaxMarauder53; 02-28-2019 at 11:19 PM.

6. Default Re: Marauder 2019 News

Splon, Davis named Co-Defensive Coordinators for Marauders as Davis returns to football staff

Brian Larson, UMary Sports Information Director
    Mar. 01, 2019 Football
    BISMARCK, ND – A familiar face for University of Mary football fans is returning to the Marauders coaching staff and will take a prominent role in running the UMary defense. Ben Davis is back on the Marauders coaching staff after a season away and will share co-defensive coordinator responsibilities with current UMary defensive backs coach Matthew Splon, announced UMary head coach Craig Bagnell.

"I'm extremely excited to announce the returning addition of Ben Davis to our coaching staff," said Bagnell. "With his experience last year as a defensive coordinator at Benedictine University I know Ben is prepared to step into a larger role into our football program. Ben is a football junkie who has a wealth of football knowledge and I know he is on board with our mission here at the University of Mary to take this football program to a higher level. He works extremely hard in recruiting, does a great job of evaluating recruits, and will help us to bring in the right type of student-athletes for our football program. Ben will become our Co-Defensive Coordinator and take over coaching the inside linebackers.

"With the addition of Ben Davis to our staff I'm also excited to announce the promotion of Matt Splon, who will be our Co-Defensive Coordinator, Recruiting Coordinator, and Defensive Backs Coach. Matt works very hard for our program and is an extremely sharp football coach. His knowledge of the game will continue to help our defense improve. Matt does a great job in recruiting and spends countless hours focusing on evaluations of the guys we bring in here at the University of Mary and does a great job of organizing our recruiting efforts. Keeping Matt on our staff is a huge part of the growth we will make as a defense this year. He knows the system in and out and does a great job of communicating that to our players. On the practice field his intensity and the love for the game shows.

"Ben and Matt worked together last spring and I thought it was important to bring in a guy who knows our system so we don't have to teach a whole new system this spring. Our guys can continue to develop this spring and summer before we get started with camp in the fall. Continuity is a big part for development and I know our guys will benefit from Ben and Matt leading the way for our defense."

"I am very excited to be returning to the University of Mary and look forward to getting to work once again with so many people that I have built great relationships with here before," said Davis. "I can't wait to take on this new challenge as the Marauders Co-Defensive Coordinator and I am looking forward to what the season has in store!"

"I'm grateful to Coach Bagnell for having the belief in me to get the job done for UMary football, and I'm thrilled to step into a larger role to lead this defense," said Splon."Ben and I have a good relationship from working together before and both of us have a lot of experience already in the Northern Sun so we're excited to take the reins and continue to take steps in the right direction."

Davis, who previously served five seasons as a coach at UMary, spent the 2018 season at Benedictine University in Lisle, IL. After starting as the defensive line coach for the Eagles, Davis was promoted to defensive coordinator at the NCAA Division III school in the fifth week of the season. Benedictine finished second in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference in sacks and defensive tackle Jack Drummond was a second team all-conference selection, one of two Eagles defensive players to receive all-league honors.

A 2010 graduate of MacMurray College, where he began his coaching career in 2012 after earning all-academic honors while playing on the defensive line, Davis joined the Marauders staff in 2013 as a graduate assistant coach for running backs. He switched to the defensive line in 2014 and coached all-Northern Sun defensive end Troy Guptill.

After a brief stop at the University of Wisconsin-Stoudt, Davis returned to the Marauders in the full-time capacity as an offensive line coach in 2015 and was also in charge of kickoff returns and field goals on special teams. The UMary offensive line allowed sacks on just 4.84 percent of dropbacks, the fifth-best figure in the league.

Davis took over the Marauders defensive line duties for 2016 and 2017, during which time UMary jumped eight slots in sacks on the Northern Sun leaderboard. He coached All-NSIC honorable mention lineman Brock Pittsley in 2017, who finished third in the conference with seven sacks.

In his second year with the Marauders, Splon joined the Marauders in Dec. 2017 as defensive backs coach and recruiting coordinator. In 2018, the UMary defense intercepted nine more passes than the previous year, improving from three to nine in Splon's first season working with the UMary backfield.

A 2014 graduate of Winona State University, Splon was a three-time NSIC all-academic selection and was coached one season by University of Mary alumnus Marquice Williams, who is now an assistant coach in the NFL with the Los Angeles Chargers.

Splon coached outside linebackers for three seasons (2015-17) along side the Marauders 2018 defensive coordinator Brett Holinka, now the defensive line coach at NCAA Division I FCS University of North Dakota. In 2017 Splon helped coach the Warriors to a 10-2 mark and a spot in the NCAA Division II playoffs. The WSU defense led the NSIC in pass efficiency defense (96.5), finished second in the NSIC in scoring defense (14.6 ppg) and takeaways (36) and allowed just 308.5 yards of offense per game. In 2016 the Warriors were 8-3 and led the NSIC in scoring defense (17.6 ppg), total defense (318.2 ypg), pass efficiency defense (99.8), forced turnovers (28) and turnover margin (+13) and was second in the league in pass defense (182.7 ypg). Splon coached LB Nick Pridgeon to a pair of all-conference honors (2nd team All-NSIC South 2017, honorable mention 2016).

The Marauders begin spring football practice on March 16 with the annual spring game slated for April 13. UMary opens the 2019 season at home against St. Cloud State University on Thursday, Sept. 5.

#marauders#

7. Default Re: Marauder 2019 News

UPDATE Marauders football spring ball begins March 16

Brian Larson, UMary Sports Information Director
    Mar. 15, 2019 Football
    BISMARCK, ND – Spring ball last season was about University of Mary head football coach Craig Bagnell and his staff getting on the field with the Marauders for the first time and installing their offensive and defensive philosophies.

Now with more than a full season under their belts, an understanding of expectations already instilled, knowledge of the offensive and defensive schemes infused and a ton of hard work in the weight room, Bagnell and the team are excited to begin spring drills.

"Spring ball is finally here and we are excited to get on the field with the guys after they have spent the last couple months getting bigger and stronger," said Bagnell. "Head strength and conditioning coach Michael Silbernagel and the strength staff have done a great job over January and February focusing on developing size and strength, which showed during testing week."

Including their spring game, the Marauders have scheduled 15 practices over the next four weeks. 2019 Spring Drills begin with a pair of practices this weekend on Saturday and Sunday, March 16-17, at the Bismarck Golf Bubble. Open to fans, Saturday's practice runs from 6-8 pm while Sunday's is scheduled for 7-9 pm.

NOTE: Practice dates, times and locations are subject to change. Please check the official Marauders football Twitter account @UMaryFB for updates.

The Marauders will use their 15 available practices to work on specific areas in each phase of the game.

"This spring our offense, defense, and special teams units all have goals we are trying to accomplish during the spring," said Bagnell. "Our primary focus on the offensive side of the ball is to improve our first down, redzone, and 3rd-and-medium offense. On the defensive side of the ball our focus is to improve our tackling, redzone, 3rd-and-short, and choice down defense. Our special teams units will focus on techniques and improvement with the fundamentals besides schemes with a couple units like punt and field goal."

Overall depth has significantly improved for the Marauders as UMary will have around 30 more players participating in spring drills in 2019 than last year. In addition to building a deeper roster prior to last fall, the Marauders also brought in several midyear transfers to augment both depth and talent.

"Last year we had 50 guys participating in spring ball," said Bagnell. "This spring we will have 80 guys participating with only a few of them being limited as they still recover from injury. The increased numbers allow us to do more on the field and develop our depth. As we continue to improve our roster and football skills, retention is key for development and that is what we will have the opportunity to do this spring.

"All practices are open to the public and we hope to see a lot of faces watching our 2019 spring practices."

2019 Marauders Football Spring Schedule
    Note: Schedule is subject to change. Check the Marauders football official twitter feed @UMaryFB for updates.

Practice #1 | Saturday, March 16 | 6-8 pm | Golf Bubble
    Practice #2 | Sunday, March 17 | 7-9 pm | Golf Bubble
    Practice #3 | Thursday, March 21 | 3:30 – 5:30 pm | Community Bowl
    Practice #4 | Friday, March 22 | 3:30 – 5:30 pm | Community Bowl
    Practice #5 | Sunday, March 24 | 3:30 - 5:30 pm | Community Bowl
    Practice #6 | Wednesday, March 27 | 3:45 - 5 pm | Community Bowl
    Practice #7 | Friday, March 29 | 6:30-8:30 pm | Community Bowl
    Practice #8 | Saturday, March 30 | 6:15 – 8 pm | Community Bowl
    Practice #9 | Sunday, March 31 | 3:30-5:30 pm | Community Bowl
    Practice #10 | Thursday, April 4 | 3:45 – 5:30 pm | Golf Bubble
    Practice #11 | Saturday, April 6 | 1-3 pm | Community Bowl
    Practice #12 | Sunday, April 7 | 6-8 pm | Community Bowl
    Practice #13 | Tuesday, April 9 | 3:45-5:30 pm | Golf Bubble
    Practice #14 | Thursday, April 11 | 3:45 – 5:30 pm | Golf Bubble
    Practice #15/Spring Game | Saturday, April 13 | 6 pm warm up | 6:30 pm kickoff | Community Bowl

#marauders#

Default Re: Marauder 2019 News

Since it looks like that spring ball has concluded for the marauders, what do you expect from them this upcoming season and how much have they improved?

9. Default Re: Marauder 2019 News

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    Since it looks like that spring ball has concluded for the marauders, what do you expect from them this upcoming season and how much have they improved?
    Unfortunately I wasn’t able to attend the game but I have a friend that was on the original Marauder football squad and his son now plays for Mary, so he has some knowledge and insight.

This is what he had to say, “the team is much improved on both sides of the ball. The depth, the strength, and speed have all been increased dramatically. The culture is great! Expecting to be much more competitive in most of the games this season. Going to predict a 4-5 wins this season.”

I know there numbers are up, scholarships are up, and they had a good group attend JR. Day. So I think his assessment is pretty accurate.