Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

  1. #21

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Another factor to consider. It is true that Chadron went 5-0 at home last season. But the teams they played had a combined record of 17 wins and 37 losses. Only Dixie State, 7 wins and 4 losses, had a winning record. As for the rest, Black Hills had 3 wins, Fort Lewis 1 win, Western State 2 wins, and Highlands 4 wins. Needless to say, the Eagles schedule at home in 2019 will be a bit more challenging.
    Spending a lot of time thinking about Chadron lately?

  2. #22

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Quote Originally Posted by ccmoney8 View Post
    Spending a lot of time thinking about Chadron lately?
    After beating Chadron 10 games in a row? Not really ...

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,449
    Rep Power
    178894

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Quote Originally Posted by ccmoney8 View Post
    Spending a lot of time thinking about Chadron lately?
    Who?

  4. #24

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    They've cleaned up most of the discipline issues both on and off the field it seems. However they were 4-7 and were outscored 143-41 against the top 3 teams in the conference. They are nowhere near top 3 in the conference right now. I am a big fan of their new staff and know the struggles they have as far as player numbers at times, poor facilities, and lack of financial support. They are doing good things with what they have to work with but really, top 3 with discipline? Have you been making recent trips to Colorado?

    Just let it go man, stop being a woman and move on from whatever hurt I caused you in the past.
    These are simple facts being provided to you and if anyone else presented the same information to you your response would be greatly different.
    Whuh?????


    Anyway, I agree with CSCPride's take. It seems that Highlands has always had talent every year, and they've always had discipline issues. If they were to clean up the discipline, the talent would have more on an impact. Also, luring talent to that program is not limited to the football team. Their basketball team has scored 100 points several times this past basketball season. Have to have some pretty damn good players to do that.
    Last edited by sportsvine; 03-02-2019 at 09:55 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country! aka. Wyoming
    Posts
    5,538
    Rep Power
    953459

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    I'm may have misspoke...they are talented but also usually undisciplined. Instead of them being a top three team as I said before I feel they could be the team that screws stuff up a lot of years for other teams. I could see them upsetting teams and knocking top teams off their perch. They are scary some years for sure.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,449
    Rep Power
    178894

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsvine View Post
    Whuh?????


    Anyway, I agree with CSCPride's take. It seems that Highlands has always had talent every year, and they've always had discipline issues. If they were to clean up the discipline, the talent would have more on an impact. Also, luring talent to that program is not limited to the football team. Their basketball team has scored 100 points several times this past basketball season. Have to have some pretty damn good players to do that.
    You can agree with his take, statistics do not though. If he changes it, like he did above, to them having some talent sometimes then sure I agree. They are not near a top 3 team in the conference though. The discipline issues are years old now, they've cleaned house with the new staff and are trying to do things the right way. Depth is a huge issue due to this, but they were 5th best in penalties this year and 7th in turnover margin. Not great, but not undisciplined.

    As for my other comment, anything said by me seems to hurt CSC's feelings. Even a simple disagreement with Highlands being a top 3 team...which they clearly are not. A record of 4-7 and outscored 143-41 by Mesa, Mines, and Pueblo. The trenches is where they need to greatly improve to compete with any of the decent RMAC teams. They have talent at the skill positions at times...but that doesn't win many games.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country! aka. Wyoming
    Posts
    5,538
    Rep Power
    953459

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    You can agree with his take, statistics do not though. If he changes it, like he did above, to them having some talent sometimes then sure I agree. They are not near a top 3 team in the conference though. The discipline issues are years old now, they've cleaned house with the new staff and are trying to do things the right way. Depth is a huge issue due to this, but they were 5th best in penalties this year and 7th in turnover margin. Not great, but not undisciplined.

    As for my other comment, anything said by me seems to hurt CSC's feelings. Even a simple disagreement with Highlands being a top 3 team...which they clearly are not. A record of 4-7 and outscored 143-41 by Mesa, Mines, and Pueblo. The trenches is where they need to greatly improve to compete with any of the decent RMAC teams. They have talent at the skill positions at times...but that doesn't win many games.
    Let it go Mr. Blowhardium...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,449
    Rep Power
    178894

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Quote Originally Posted by CSCPRIDE View Post
    Let it go Mr. Blowhardium...
    Talk about grasping. As I said, you already changed your original statement so that says about all that needs to be said. See you in Chadron for 11 straight.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country! aka. Wyoming
    Posts
    5,538
    Rep Power
    953459

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    Talk about grasping. As I said, you already changed your original statement so that says about all that needs to be said. See you in Chadron for 11 straight.
    Can't wait blowhardium!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    10003

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    [QUOTE=Lobo;2353690]I think 2019 will be no different that 2018. There will be only 2 bona fide RMAC contenders, Mines and CSUP. Chadron and Mesa will both be solid, but neither will seriously contend for the conference title. The rest, well, they'll fight to stay out of the bottom half.

    Mines lost the best WR in recent conference history to graduation and a DI transfer QB who led the country is several offense categories. The Nerds also lost a couple key players on defense. Like CSUP, the Nerds have quality backups and excellent recruits from the last couple classes. The Nerds play the Pack in Pueblo and Azusa Pacific in Cali; not easy.


    Cracks me up that my son is about to be 'nerd'. He loves and is embracing it as well. He has a text group with all the incoming Freshman recruits labeled .. 'REVENGE OF THE NERDS!'. I will give the Mines staff some credit when it comes to recruiting. Maybe the other schools in the RMAC do the same thing to some extent, but the Mines staff recruits the HELL out of Texas. All the major Metro area's are assigned to a coach and they added a coach to 'West Texas' this year as well. My son's recruiting coach has been to the Houston area twice since February. As we went thru the process this past season, it hit me as to why they can be successful at it. There are several incoming Texas players and they all wanted to Major in Engineering, they all were already admitted to A&M, ut, or Tech (or all three in my sons case), my son was offered a PW spot by the A&M coaching staff and would have been a 5th generation Aggie. But he just wants to play and get an Engineering degree. When Mines showed interest, it was love at first sight for him. Great education in a great setting at a much smaller school. Plus, a Degree from Mines is Golden .. so to speak. Anyway, keep on with the Nerds references. The boys love it & embrace it. As far as your actual prediction - you know more than I do obviously about all the teams - I'm just looking forward to watching some good football in some awesome settings scenery wise (for the most part).

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,449
    Rep Power
    178894

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Pack roster is updated, a couple of defensive difference makers look to have been added. If the offense has improved as I've heard it has, it could be a decent year for Pueblo. Their schedule is certainly favorable with Commerce, Mines, and Mesa all coming to Pueblo.

  12. #32

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    A friend of mine who works closely with Mountaineer athletics was saying this weekend that the offense should be "night and day" better with the offensive coordinator being split into two positions. If they can just stay healthy after their Pocatello trip, they might have some momentum for South Dakota Mines in Gunni and Mesa at Stocker. Putting a competent offense with even last year's defense could make them a .500 team.

  13. #33

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaineermagic View Post
    A friend of mine who works closely with Mountaineer athletics was saying this weekend that the offense should be "night and day" better with the offensive coordinator being split into two positions. If they can just stay healthy after their Pocatello trip, they might have some momentum for South Dakota Mines in Gunni and Mesa at Stocker. Putting a competent offense with even last year's defense could make them a .500 team.
    After studying both rosters and coaching staffs pretty closely in the offseason, I think I'm ready to predict they finally win in Alamosa this year. The two teams seem headed opposite directions and last year went to OT. Need someone to grab the QB job and they'll have a nice little bounceback. Maybe even get to .500 in the RMAC.

  14. #34

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Quote Originally Posted by ccmoney8 View Post
    After studying both rosters and coaching staffs pretty closely in the offseason, I think I'm ready to predict they finally win in Alamosa this year. The two teams seem headed opposite directions and last year went to OT. Need someone to grab the QB job and they'll have a nice little bounceback. Maybe even get to .500 in the RMAC.
    I wouldn't jump to that prediction yet. For some reason Western has never played well on field turf of late, even going back to AE. Also ASU seems to have something in Blankenship. Scholarships have been a major issue in Alamosa though. Hopefully their fundraising efforts go well. It will only help the rest of conference and push FLC and Western to do the same. The link is for a video of Blankenship talking about the fundraising project.

    https://asugrizzlies.com/index.aspx
    Last edited by mountaineermagic; 07-18-2019 at 12:32 AM.

  15. #35

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaineermagic View Post
    I wouldn't jump to that prediction yet. For some reason Western has never played well on field turf of late, even going back to AE. Also ASU seems to have something in Blankenship. Scholarships have been a major issue in Alamosa though. Hopefully their fundraising efforts go well. It will only help the rest of conference and push FLC and Western to do the same. The link is for a video of Blankenship talking about the fundraising project.

    https://asugrizzlies.com/index.aspx
    16 schollies, woof. Had no idea they were that low. Guess that's the price for world-class track and field. Is the head coach taking the initiative on this fundraising effort for football? If so, I'm impressed.

    With the comparison between this year's teams, I guess I'm mostly looking at Adams losing just about all the players that kept them from 0-11 last year. Rooney, Hovasse, Surrell, Harris, at least one top player at all 3 levels of defense, all gone. They already looked historically bad on D, right up to the last week.

    But also, Western returns a ton on both sides, and the new offensive staff setup looks respectable. They were competitive with the mid-tier teams in the conference, despite their record, and just need to improve a little to flip two or three of those games.

  16. #36

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Week 3 for Western at Mesa is going to be a big litmus test for the rest of the year, especially the next week in Alamosa. If it's competitive in GJ, Western will have a good shot of breaking the streak- I think. There's always been something spartan like and eerie about Adam's program at Rex. Definitely a cool rivalry.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    10003

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    16 Schollies?? Yikes. My dumbass just assumed that all D2 schools HAD TO BE ABLE to divy up the equivalent of 36 schollies. I 'assumed' that in order to even be a D2 Football program the school had to have the financial where-with-all to compete with a full allotment of schollies. He is right - they will never be able to consistently compete against the schools who do actually give out the equivalent of 36 schollies. Good Luck Coach - I never even heard of Adams State until my son decided to go to Mines but I do hope you are successful in getting more financial support.

    Does anybody reading this know if there are other schools in the RMAC who are in the same boat financially when it comes to not having the full allotment of schollies to divy up? I'm only wanting to know in order to have a better understanding of the competitive make up of the RMAC financially.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,449
    Rep Power
    178894

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasDigger View Post
    16 Schollies?? Yikes. My dumbass just assumed that all D2 schools HAD TO BE ABLE to divy up the equivalent of 36 schollies. I 'assumed' that in order to even be a D2 Football program the school had to have the financial where-with-all to compete with a full allotment of schollies. He is right - they will never be able to consistently compete against the schools who do actually give out the equivalent of 36 schollies. Good Luck Coach - I never even heard of Adams State until my son decided to go to Mines but I do hope you are successful in getting more financial support.

    Does anybody reading this know if there are other schools in the RMAC who are in the same boat financially when it comes to not having the full allotment of schollies to divy up? I'm only wanting to know in order to have a better understanding of the competitive make up of the RMAC financially.
    No one in the RMAC is at 36 due to conference rules. It was actually limited to 28 when Pueblo won the national championship. It has increased by 2 every other year since then I believe and will finally get to a limit of 36 in the 2020 season. I'm not sure of where everyone currently stands but can assume Mines, Mesa, and Pueblo are all very near or at the limit of 34.

  19. #39

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasDigger View Post
    16 Schollies?? Yikes. My dumbass just assumed that all D2 schools HAD TO BE ABLE to divy up the equivalent of 36 schollies. I 'assumed' that in order to even be a D2 Football program the school had to have the financial where-with-all to compete with a full allotment of schollies. He is right - they will never be able to consistently compete against the schools who do actually give out the equivalent of 36 schollies. Good Luck Coach - I never even heard of Adams State until my son decided to go to Mines but I do hope you are successful in getting more financial support.

    Does anybody reading this know if there are other schools in the RMAC who are in the same boat financially when it comes to not having the full allotment of schollies to divy up? I'm only wanting to know in order to have a better understanding of the competitive make up of the RMAC financially.
    I don't have the data to back it up but I would assume that Fort Lewis is the school with the least number of scholarships. On field success and scholarships are correlated closely in the rmac. As it probably is for most conferences.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    10003

    Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    No one in the RMAC is at 36 due to conference rules. It was actually limited to 28 when Pueblo won the national championship. It has increased by 2 every other year since then I believe and will finally get to a limit of 36 in the 2020 season. I'm not sure of where everyone currently stands but can assume Mines, Mesa, and Pueblo are all very near or at the limit of 34.
    OK - help me out. I have looked and looked and can't find the Conference Rules as it pertains to this. Do you have these rules or know where I can find them. And yes, I know Google is my friend and I've tried, LOL.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •