Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

Contribute to D2

Default The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

I was thinking about how many contending teams the RMAC legitimately has going into 2019. I came up with five schools in ascending likelyhood of winning the conference ; Mesa, Chadron, Dixie, Mines and Pueblo.

Of the remaining six I would lean towards Highlands being the most dangerous. They really seem to be on the upswing. Their recruiting class surprised me with how many guys they got from Florida.

Fort Lewis, Adams and Western will all be close. I need to read the papers up north in the SD to gauge BHSU and SD Mines and what they'll have.

Default Re: The five maybes and six wildcards of the RMAC

Highlands is always scary just because they always have some great athletes. If they were disciplined at all they'd compete for a top three finish most years I think.

Highlands gets dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball. They've cleaned up the penalties under the new staff but they are nowhere near top 3 in the conference at this point. Look at their scores against Pueblo, Mines, and Mesa. They are headed in the right direction but top 3 finish most years?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    Highlands gets dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball. They've cleaned up the penalties under the new staff but they are nowhere near top 3 in the conference at this point. Look at their scores against Pueblo, Mines, and Mesa. They are headed in the right direction but top 3 finish most years?
    I don't think they are that far off. Always have some great athletes but typically have some things with no discipline and it bites them in the ass. But what do I know....I'm not a fan of the greatest team in the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by CSCPRIDE View Post
    I don't think they are that far off. Always have some great athletes but typically have some things with no discipline and it bites them in the ass. But what do I know....I'm not a fan of the greatest team in the conference.
    They've cleaned up most of the discipline issues both on and off the field it seems. However they were 4-7 and were outscored 143-41 against the top 3 teams in the conference. They are nowhere near top 3 in the conference right now. I am a big fan of their new staff and know the struggles they have as far as player numbers at times, poor facilities, and lack of financial support. They are doing good things with what they have to work with but really, top 3 with discipline? Have you been making recent trips to Colorado?

Just let it go man, stop being a woman and move on from whatever hurt I caused you in the past. These are simple facts being provided to you and if anyone else presented the same information to you your response would be greatly different.

Team- their finish in the RMAC since 2012 what the RMAC website goes back to -average finish
    CSUP- 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 1, 2- 1.42
    Mines- 5, 2, 2, 3, 2, 3, 1- 2.57
    Mesa- 6, 5, 4, 2, 1, 2, 5- 3.57
    Chadron- 2, 3, 3, 5, 9, 4, 4- 4.29
    Dixie- start 2016, 6, 5, 3- 4.67
    WNMU- 8, 6, 5, 7, left after 2015- 6.5
    Adams- 4, 4, 7, 8, 10, 8, 8- 7
    SD Mines- start 2016, 7, 9, 7- 7.67
    Western- 9, 9, 7, 6, 4, 10, 9- 7.71
    Ft. Lewis- 10, 7, 10, 4, 8, 6, 11- 8
    BHSU- 7, 8, 9 10, 5, 7, 10- 8
    Highlands- 3, 10, 7, 9, 11, 11, 6- 8.14
    I went by conference win percentage, if teams were tied I went head to head results to determine higher placer, there was one 3 way tie that couldn’t be easily broke for 6,7,8 in 2014 so each team split the points and received 7 each.

After next year you’ll have the top four teams and a giant gap where likely there’s going to be one top 3 finish in the past 8 years and that’s from the statistically worst team.
    Last edited by twolfbenchwarmer; 02-17-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaineermagic View Post
    I was thinking about how many contending teams the RMAC legitimately has going into 2019. I came up with five schools in ascending likelyhood of winning the conference ; Mesa, Chadron, Dixie, Mines and Pueblo.
    Of the remaining six I would lean towards Highlands being the most dangerous. They really seem to be on the upswing. Their recruiting class surprised me with how many guys they got from Florida.
    Fort Lewis, Adams and Western will all be close. I need to read the papers up north in the SD to gauge BHSU and SD Mines and what they'll have.
    I think 2019 will be no different that 2018. There will be only 2 bona fide RMAC contenders, Mines and CSUP. Chadron and Mesa will both be solid, but neither will seriously contend for the conference title. The rest, well, they'll fight to stay out of the bottom half.

CSUP lost three key players on defense. But their backups, along with a couple DI transfers, are the next men up. On offense, CSUP will start a QB who was made to run the PRO offense behind an O-line that can be the best the T-Wolves have ever had. Glad Symo's back as OL coach. A couple DI RB transfers and faster WRs round out the offense. The T-Wolves play Mines and Mesa at home. They play the Skyhawks in Durango however.

Mines lost the best WR in recent conference history to graduation and a DI transfer QB who led the country is several offense categories. The Nerds also lost a couple key players on defense. Like CSUP, the Nerds have quality backups and excellent recruits from the last couple classes. The Nerds play the Pack in Pueblo and Azusa Pacific in Cali; not easy.

Chadron has upped its recruiting game and was in the playoff discussion last year until getting thumped by the Nerds. CSC lost only 3 games and had a quality win over Mesa. The Eagles had another strong recruiting class -- but on the same level with Mines and CSUP? Probably not. The Eagles will be solid but I'm not convinced they're good enough to win a conference title.

Mesa has lost a lot of talented players the last couple seasons, among them DB Dustin Rivas, WR Virel Moon, RB David Tan, OL Austin Fleer, DL Blake Nelson, and this past season, LB Tom Saager and QB Eystin Salum. The Cows have not replaced that kind of talent. Last season Mesa went 7 and 4. The Cows were soundly beaten by the Nerds and CSUP but lost close games to Chadron and Black Hills. Mesa's past recruiting classes have been average, or so it seems. Not sure why this past year's recruiting class was so small.

The Rest: Highlands showed signs of improvement last season. Problem? Too much player turnover and no continuity. Academic eligibility may be a problem. Dixie lost key players on both sides of ball. Their DI QB Transfer is gone as are key players on defense. Adams State can score points, but can't prevent them. Western State is still looking for an RB the likes of Austin Ekeler. Fort Lewis is looking to beat the T-Wolves the 3rd straight time at home. And South Dakota Mines and Black Hills are trying to move their game to the middle of the pack.

It could take a long time to find another RB like Ekeler. Huge oversight of UNC to have messed up on him. One advantage Western will have on the bottom of the conference will be their experience at QB. If a running game is established, the tight ends and slot receivers could have productive seasons off of play-action.

For Highlands they have to find a replacement for Danny Cameron. Not sure either of the true freshman will be able to step in day one and carry the Cowboys. The 6'4 lefty could be interesting to watch in a year or so. Felt like they blew away both WCU and ASU in the recruiting field.

Fort Lewis is the equivalent of the Moneyball A's, as was pointed out by a post a couple of weeks ago. Up until last year they seemed to do more with less(maybe Highlands?) They just have no depth. In some games last year they were using WRs as the qb with their injury problems. However if Lowry stays healthy and is as good as KDUR has talked about he could play similarily well to Bo Coleman.The pistol could be a huge pain for teams. They should surprise some teams if they remain healthy. Can't imagine they would knock Pueblo off again for a third straight time at home. Surely Pueblo can practice on grass the week of that game and acclimate to slippery conditions. The first three games for the Pack look tricky- @DSU,@CSC,vs Mines

Adams should take a hit losing Horvasse, Surreal and Nick Rooney. The week 4 game between Western and ASU in Alamosa is a must win for the current Western staff- i think. The loser of that game will most likely be a cellar dweller again.

Mesa seems like an enigma. They may have regressed to the 2014 season which they went 6-5. They still have more talent than the bottom half of the RMAC . Wasn't sold on their qb play last year when Salum was knocked out.
    Last edited by mountaineermagic; 02-18-2019 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    They play the Skyhawks in Durango however.
    Durango? Durango? Sloooooowly he turned; step by step, inch by inch. . . . . . . .
    Sprinkles are for winners!

Surely Pueblo can practice on grass the week of that game and acclimate to slippery conditions. The first three games for the Pack look tricky- @DSU,@CSC,vs Mines
    I expect Dixie to take steps back this year, losing several key guys, new coaching staff, seems many were unhappy. At Chadron is always tough, and it'll be a night game, but Pueblo typically plays well there (on grass at that). Mines will be a great game, seems to be a real rivalry forming there. Hopefully that continues. However, the next week Commerce comes to town and if Pueblo is not undefeated at that point they could be looking at 2 losses by week 4. Two losses in SR4 is looking at a real chance of no playoff game. Not to say they lose to Commerce, but it will be another battle no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    I expect Dixie to take steps back this year, losing several key guys, new coaching staff, seems many were unhappy. At Chadron is always tough, and it'll be a night game, but Pueblo typically plays well there (on grass at that). Mines will be a great game, seems to be a real rivalry forming there. Hopefully that continues. However, the next week Commerce comes to town and if Pueblo is not undefeated at that point they could be looking at 2 losses by week 4. Two losses in SR4 is looking at a real chance of no playoff game. Not to say they lose to Commerce, but it will be another battle no doubt.
    I forgot that Chadron plays on grass. So there's three grass fields in the conference. Whoops, just two. It would not be a good send-off for DSU to have a bad year. They're going to need all the momentum they can generate. Yea having two losses by week 4 would catastrophic for CSUP, especially to a LSC school.
    Last edited by mountaineermagic; 02-18-2019 at 07:14 PM.

I forgot that Chadron plays on grass. So there's three grass fields in the conference.
    Used to be grass, but is now field turf....

I think 2019 will be no different that 2018. There will be only 2 bona fide RMAC contenders, Mines and CSUP. Chadron and Mesa will both be solid, but neither will seriously contend for the conference title. The rest, well, they'll fight to stay out of the bottom half.

CSUP lost three key players on defense. But their backups, along with a couple DI transfers, are the next men up. On offense, CSUP will start a QB who was made to run the PRO offense behind an O-line that can be the best the T-Wolves have ever had. Glad Symo's back as OL coach. A couple DI RB transfers and faster WRs round out the offense. The T-Wolves play Mines and Mesa at home. They play the Skyhawks in Durango however.

Mines lost the best WR in recent conference history to graduation and a DI transfer QB who led the country is several offense categories. The Nerds also lost a couple key players on defense. Like CSUP, the Nerds have quality backups and excellent recruits from the last couple classes. The Nerds play the Pack in Pueblo and Azusa Pacific in Cali; not easy.

Chadron has upped its recruiting game and was in the playoff discussion last year until getting thumped by the Nerds. CSC lost only 3 games and had a quality win over Mesa. The Eagles had another strong recruiting class -- but on the same level with Mines and CSUP? Probably not. The Eagles will be solid but I'm not convinced they're good enough to win a conference title.

Mesa has lost a lot of talented players the last couple seasons, among them DB Dustin Rivas, WR Virel Moon, RB David Tan, OL Austin Fleer, DL Blake Nelson, and this past season, LB Tom Saager and QB Eystin Salum. The Cows have not replaced that kind of talent. Last season Mesa went 7 and 4. The Cows were soundly beaten by the Nerds and CSUP but lost close games to Chadron and Black Hills. Mesa's past recruiting classes have been average, or so it seems. Not sure why this past year's recruiting class was so small.

The Rest: Highlands showed signs of improvement last season. Problem? Too much player turnover and no continuity. Academic eligibility may be a problem. Dixie lost key players on both sides of ball. Their DI QB Transfer is gone as are key players on defense. Adams State can score points, but can't prevent them. Western State is still looking for an RB the likes of Austin Ekeler. Fort Lewis is looking to beat the T-Wolves the 3rd straight time at home. And South Dakota Mines and Black Hills are trying to move their game to the middle of the pack.
    Can't argue with any of this...

I forgot that Chadron plays on grass. So there's three grass fields in the conference.whoops, just two. It would not be a good send-off for DSU to have a bad year. They're going to need all the momentum they can generate. Yea having two losses by week 4 would catastrophic for CSUP, especially to a LSC school.

2 losses would be a season ender for the T-Wolves. CSUP would have to fold its tent and go bye bye until the following season. Strength of schedule and all that.

Looking at the record books, history is on the T-Wolves' side -- not that history is going to suit up and play. But if history is any indication of future performance, here it is …

CSUP has played Dixie 3 times, twice in Pueblo and once in Utah, and won 3 times by a combined score of 170 to 37.

CSUP last lost to Chadron State in Pueblo in 2008, the year football was restarted, by a score of 32 to zip. Since 2009, CSUP has beaten the Eagles 10 games in a row.

The last time CSUP lost a home game in Pueblo to Mines was in 2009, by a score of 31 to 7. Since 2011, CSUP has beaten the Nerds 7 times and lost 2 times [both losses in Golden].

CSUP has played Texas A&M Commerce only once, last year in Texas, and won 23 to 13.

That's an impressive run on Chadron and at home vs Mines. I respect the 1-0 weekly philosophy employed by CSUP. Good way to avoid upsets.
    Heckofa of a Mountaineer

That's an impressive run on Chadron and at home vs Mines. I respect the 1-0 weekly philosophy employed by CSUP. Good way to avoid upsets.
    We shall see if they're able to show up in Durango this year. Talent wise they will be as good as ever. I've heard their work ethic has vastly improved over last year, it was not a great offseason last year. The attitude of this group is where it needs to be. That doesn't equal success on the field, but certainly doesn't hurt. Transfers also don't always equal success but Pueblo always seems to find a handful that contribute in good ways, this season looks to be no different. I'll wait until they are on the roster to share but their backfield will be as talented and deep as ever as they also bring back 2 of the top 3 rushers from last season.

Hoping I am able to go check out Chadron's new facility, much needed and deserved.
    Last edited by Turbonium; 02-18-2019 at 08:54 PM.

Chadron plays on turf now. If they're ever going to do anything, this season and the next will tell it. They'll have a junior QB who's the top returning passer in the league (and hopefully doesn't have to split 1st team reps) plus tons of experience at every position group. Getting TE Colt Foster back with 2 years left will be huge for the offense. The defense needs some tuning, but also seems like they've stockpiled defensive players, and only graduated three starters on D, so spring should be interesting. They get Pueblo, Mesa, and both Mines all at home, where they went 5-0 last year in the new digs.

Pueblo is going to continue to be Pueblo, until further notice. I look at the stat sheet and see a lot of production graduating on both sides, but I also see a small core of elite returners who will probably be next years' stars, and plenty of talented skill players who didn't necessarily start every game but will fill roles. Need that OL to gel better this year after graduating two phenomenal RBs.

Colorado Mines is a little more of a question mark, just cause most of the passing game, nearly all the starting linebackers, and both starting cornerbacks were seniors last year. Last time they rebooted at QB, they took a step back. They've got an elite RB and an elite left tackle coming back, plus a couple good pieces on the D-line. Anyway, I counted them out last year, and I was way wrong, so I won't make the same mistake twice. Don't know that they can improve on 10-1, but don't know that they drop, either. Nobody played them close last year until they turned the ball over 11 times in their last three games.

I can't see Dixie returning back to top-four status. Not with the way the program was ransacked after last season. First-year head coaches almost always see a drop-off from the year before, and I counted several players transferring, as announced on Twitter. I see Mike Jones went to WTAMU and another guy to Grand Valley State. They were already graduating some good pieces as is. Now they seem to have stepped up recruiting a little, but still only brought in 20 or so players. I see 6 RMAC losses, easily, with that sort of instability.

Mesa gets a mulligan for last year. It's just the way things had to be after their terrible tragedy early on in the season. They lost 4 of 5 after that, but eventually righted the ship. Also it didn't help Mesa they had a ton to replace, particularly on OL. I don't know if he was hurt, but their starting left tackle week one never started another game. They had several changes on OL through the year. Consequently they gave up 32 sacks and didn't have a RB over 5 ypc. I trust they figure things out this spring, and the QB competition should be interesting but Russ Martin is the man with QBs. Don't think they're ready to win a ship this year, but they should contend again.

The team I think makes a move this year is SD Mines. I thought 2018 would be their year with their triplets being seniors, but their schedule did them no favors and they were a goal line fumble away from beating Chadron and going 6-0 at home. I believe they bring back a ton of starts at OL and so the new QB should get a fair shake plus the running game should continue. Experienced defense where they played some true freshmen last year who should mature with a spring under their belts. They won't challenge for a title, but they could sneak up and bite someone in Rapid City with those annoying car horns and break the plane of .500 in conference for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmoney8 View Post
    Chadron plays on turf now. If they're ever going to do anything, this season and the next will tell it. They'll have a junior QB who's the top returning passer in the league (and hopefully doesn't have to split 1st team reps) plus tons of experience at every position group. Getting TE Colt Foster back with 2 years left will be huge for the offense. The defense needs some tuning, but also seems like they've stockpiled defensive players, and only graduated three starters on D, so spring should be interesting. They get Pueblo, Mesa, and both Mines all at home, where they went 5-0 last year in the new digs.
    As previously mentioned, I think CSC will be solid next year. But like Mines and CSUP, Chadron lost some valuable players to graduation, both on offense and defense. On offense, the Eagles will have to replace 3 O-Lineman, 2 of them All-RMAC First Team players, LT Travis Romsa and C Jake Geil. CSC will also have to replace RG Adam Fuselier, and RB Kevin Coy, a solid ball-carrier and RMAC Honorable Mention. On defense, the Eagles have to replace 3 of the teams most consistent defenders, ILB Keenan Johnson, DE Kyle Temple and DB Zecharie James. Those 3 guys consistently finished at the top, or near the top, in tackles each game they played. As I recall, ILB Johnson and DE Temple played an excellent game against CSUP, finishing 1 and 2 in total tackles. I don't think CSC has an advantage over either The Mines or CSUP in terms of graduation losses. The Eagles lost some key players too.

As previously mentioned, I think CSC will be solid next year. But like Mines and CSUP, Chadron lost some valuable players to graduation, both on offense and defense. On offense, the Eagles will have to replace 3 O-Lineman, 2 of them All-RMAC First Team players, LT Travis Romsa and C Jake Geil. CSC will also have to replace RG Adam Fuselier, and RB Kevin Coy, a solid ball-carrier and RMAC Honorable Mention. On defense, the Eagles have to replace 3 of the teams most consistent defenders, ILB Keenan Johnson, DE Kyle Temple and DB Zecharie James. Those 3 guys consistently finished at the top, or near the top, in tackles each game they played. As I recall, ILB Johnson and DE Temple played an excellent game against CSUP, finishing 1 and 2 in total tackles. I don't think CSC has an advantage over either The Mines or CSUP in terms of graduation losses. The Eagles lost some key players too.
    Interesting take.

Might have to look for some measurables on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmoney8 View Post
    Another factor to consider. It is true that Chadron went 5-0 at home last season. But the teams they played had a combined record of 17 wins and 37 losses. Only Dixie State, 7 wins and 4 losses, had a winning record. As for the rest, Black Hills had 3 wins, Fort Lewis 1 win, Western State 2 wins, and Highlands 4 wins. Needless to say, the Eagles schedule at home in 2019 will be a bit more challenging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast