Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MIAA Week 8 Chat

Default MIAA Week 8 Chat

Here we go. The finest of MIAA scheduling.

Southern and Pitt play twice in four days.

SBU and UCM go to Northwest and Western this week, and then flip flop next week with SBU and UCM hosting Northwest and Western.

Get used to each other fellas, you're about to spend 80 minutes together in a short timeframe.

Default Re: MIAA Week 8 Chat

I don't understand the scheduling. The most intriguing match-ups in Week 8 for me are MO Southern at Pitt State on Saturday and then Lincoln's road swing at FHSU and at UNK. If Franklin continues to be sidelined with an injury, I would expect Southern to roll at Pitt. If he is back, Pitt State will hungry and be tough to beat at home. FHSU is senior-laden so I would expect them to be playing extremely hard and for their lives this weekend against Lindenwood and Lincoln. Lincoln needs to win to keep pace and stay in the top 4 of the conference.

To add to the schedule complaints - these are the last home games of the year for MWSU and Pitt State. Odd to have senior night mid-February.

Couple of special games at MWSU this week - the Student Athlete Advisory Council fulfilled a Make A Wish for a kid who will be honored at the game Wednesday night, and the Fieldhouse floor will be named in honor of Tom Smith Saturday night. Key games for the Griffon men to try to solidify a spot in the tourney, with the two other teams tied for 8th coming to town.

4. Default Re: MIAA Week 8 Chat

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    To add to the schedule complaints - these are the last home games of the year for MWSU and Pitt State. Odd to have senior night mid-February.

Couple of special games at MWSU this week - the Student Athlete Advisory Council fulfilled a Make A Wish for a kid who will be honored at the game Wednesday night, and the Fieldhouse floor will be named in honor of Tom Smith Saturday night. Key games for the Griffon men to try to solidify a spot in the tourney, with the two other teams tied for 8th coming to town.
    Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Btech#3 View Post
    I don't understand the scheduling. The most intriguing match-ups in Week 8 for me are MO Southern at Pitt State on Saturday and then Lincoln's road swing at FHSU and at UNK. If Franklin continues to be sidelined with an injury, I would expect Southern to roll at Pitt. If he is back, Pitt State will hungry and be tough to beat at home. FHSU is senior-laden so I would expect them to be playing extremely hard and for their lives this weekend against Lindenwood and Lincoln. Lincoln needs to win to keep pace and stay in the top 4 of the conference.
    Franklin's injury really Hurts them. On top of that, Pitt is playing really small without their Center/large forward. The only way they beat Southern is to get Franklin back and slash and make 3's all day.

I think the Mules get drubbed twice by Northwest and hopefully split with MO. West. They could win both against MO.West but I can see improvement in St. JOE.
    Last edited by Mule4ever; 02-11-2019 at 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling

7. Default Re: MIAA Week 8 Chat

The injuries discussed here is my #1 point about the frustrations of the MIAA scheduling. A key guy can be out for only two weeks and one opponent can benefit from that twice (and about 9 or 10 other opponents don't).

#2, how hard is it to beat a good team twice? Now you have to do it in the course of a week.

#3, for the fans, we see Lincoln and Lindenwood once in early January, but our February is full of Pitt, Emporia, UNK and Hays (8 games). Mix it up a bit, spread it out. Play one round against your "pod" first, then the other pod, and close out with your second round against your pod.

Anyone from the MIAA who would like some help, send me a private message. I'll draw you up a nice schedule for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    The injuries discussed here is my #1 point about the frustrations of the MIAA scheduling. A key guy can be out for only two weeks and one opponent can benefit from that twice (and about 9 or 10 other opponents don't).

#2, how hard is it to beat a good team twice? Now you have to do it in the course of a week.

#3, for the fans, we see Lincoln and Lindenwood once in early January, but our February is full of Pitt, Emporia, UNK and Hays (8 games). Mix it up a bit, spread it out. Play one round against your "pod" first, then the other pod, and close out with your second round against your pod.

Anyone from the MIAA who would like some help, send me a private message. I'll draw you up a nice schedule for next year.
    I bet you could! :)

Franklin played in the NW game, scored 21 points and had 8 rebounds. The game was 1/31/19.

Kim Anderson said he hopes to get Franklin back soon, maybe even this week, but was still not sure.

I don’t understand the “pod system”. For instance, Wash and ESU are travel partners but we only play them once. I would be for divisions kind of like the NSIC does it. The Ichabods kind of switched pods. We play some teams twice that we played last year once but we play some teams twice again. This playing teams back to back like Pitt and Southern is stupid. So is the NWMS back to back with Baptist and UCM. I also don’t agree with some teams playing 4 road games to close out the season. No one should have to play 4 successive road games.

While I agree with some of your thinking on scheduling, it is a little more difficult that what some of you may think. You have to consider travel, thus the "pod" system. There are 12 games on the so called north/south sides of the schedule. Then you have to consider the other side playing once, which is another 7 games for a total of 19 games. I would challenge anyone to come up with a better scheduling system with the present format. I know we can all complain, but when it comes down to it, it is hard to come up with a better plan.

You make a good point. I don’t have a solution. I thought this was a place you could just complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Btech#3 View Post
    You make a good point. I don’t have a solution. I thought this was a place you could just complain.
    LOL, you are right!

15. Default Re: MIAA Week 8 Chat

First of all, last year we had the Missouri pod and the non-Missouri pod.

This year, it was decided to flip flop Southern and Washburn. So now the Lions are in the non-Missouri pod, while the Ichabods are in the Missouri pod. This is sort of fine, as long as next year the MIAA flip flops two other teams such as Pitt and Central Mo. But they probably won't, as Lwood and SBU are leaving and Newman and Rogers State are joining.

As long as you have it where you play some teams twice and others once, there will be complaints and certain things that seem unfair or out of balance.

16. Default Re: MIAA Week 8 Chat

I will add that I don't think you have to have the travel partner system either. Perhaps for the longest trips it makes sense, but with Lindenwood gone this tightens up the MIAA footprint just a bit.

Lastly, it sure seems to me like all 14 teams should play every Saturday, and especially the final Saturday. This year, Northwest Missouri and Northeastern State are both off the final day of the regular season.

I will add that I don't think you have to have the travel partner system either. Perhaps for the longest trips it makes sense, but with Lindenwood gone this tightens up the MIAA footprint just a bit.

Lastly, it sure seems to me like all 14 teams should play every Saturday, and especially the final Saturday. This year, Northwest Missouri and Northeastern State are both off the final day of the regular season.
    That's so we can get rested up for the conference tourney! :)

Yes you guys look like a tired team. Just struggling to the finish line.

19. Default Re: MIAA Week 8 Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeman View Post
    That's so we can get rested up for the conference tourney! :)
    You're gonna be rusty. #8 is going to shock the world in KC in that Thursday noon game.

You're gonna be rusty. #8 is going to shock the world in KC in that Thursday noon game.
    Anything is possible Nostradamus.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast