Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MIAA Week 8 Chat

Contribute to D2

Default Re: MIAA Week 8 Chat

Quote Originally Posted by MuleLove View Post
    The coach Lowrance shoved was Kaleb Lowrance, (doesn't make it right but that's why he didn't sit). I think Jakob was rightfully frustrated by the constantly having his arm hooked, etc. Hightower had pulled him down on a previous play. I agree think Jakob whines about the officiating way too much, but I have never seen a player use a closed-fist kidney punch as defense like #5 did. As fans we tend to unsee the things our players do that will not sit right with the opposition. #5 tried to get an extra hit in as often as possible. The referees lost control of the game two minutes into the game, we spent the entire game worrying that the chippiness might erupt into something more. Under Coach Anderson, Jon Gilliam would have been swinging for sure.
    What #5 are you referring to? What team, I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by MuleLove View Post
    The coach Lowrance shoved was Kaleb Lowrance, (doesn't make it right but that's why he didn't sit).
    Brotherly love? That would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeman View Post
    Wow, definitely got screwed on that call. That is too bad. It could have been a 4 point play. Liked Tom Smith's comment, "Think I would have gotten a T on that call"!
    Am I the only guy who thinks that since the defender came from the side if the shooter hadn't kicked his leg out after releasing the ball there would have been no contact. I thought they should have counted the basket because everything happened after the shot but I have been told the rules were changed to make it an offensive foul if the shooter creates contact by kicking out his leg.

I realize I'm biased but I think the shooter created the contact. I showed the play to a guy here at work and his first comment was offensive foul.
    Last edited by Randy; 02-18-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Am I the only guy who thinks that since the defender came from the side if the shooter hadn't kicked his leg out after releasing the ball there would have been no contact. I thought they should have counted the basket because everything happened after the shot but I have been told the rules were changed to make it an offensive foul if the shooter creates contact by kicking out his leg.

I realize I'm biased but I think the shooter created the contact. I showed the play to a guy here at work and his first comment was offensive foul.
    My question is, who caused the contact? The defender ran into the shooter. As a former official for 25+ years, I would have called it the other way. While in the shower, I also thought of this.....not sure if they have changed the rule on an offensive foul, but under the old rule, since the ball was out of his hands, the basket could have counted.
    Last edited by Thepeman; 02-18-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post

I'm biased too, but the initial contact looked more hip-to-hip to me, which had nothing to do with the kick. The extended foot also made contact with the defender, which is probably why both players ended up on the floor, but to me calling the offensive foul rewards an out-of-position defender lunging wildly at the shooter.

I think you're right about the rule change on counting the basket.

His feet were perfect shooting position all through the actual shot. Then on his way down he kicked one foot out for some reason. The referee (and me) thought he kicked it out to create contact. I have a hard time rewarding him for that. My first thought when I saw the play on GSI was "If he doesn't kick his foot out, there is no foul". You and Thepeman disagree. It's too bad he didn't come down without the kick, then if there was still contact there would be no argument.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234