Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

Default With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

With Losing Malone football, Who becomes the top targets for G-MAC expansion? I have a few theories. I could also see losing Alderson Broaddus and Ohio Valley off to the MEC with Davis and Elkins anytime now. Here is what I think would be the top targets:

1. Notre Dame College: was an in initial member when they created the G-MAC but backed out late. Geography just makes so much sense, and the are far more competitive of late. Old bad blood may be a hurdle though from when they backed out of the conference.

2. Urbana: have football, make sense with geography. Same problem as NDC with old bad blood as they are a former member too.

3. Uindy: Geography, competitive, and is currently in the GLVC which does not make a lot of sense for their location with the closing of Saint Joe a few years ago.

4. Ashland: Geography, almost came in a few years ago, and generally competitive.

5. Adding a NAIA/D3: Depauw (D3), Wabash (D3), Marian (NAIA), Saint Francis (NAIA), Thomas More (NAIA)

2. Default Re: With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

Initially I would say that Notre Dame makes the most sense. I’d have to believe that they would be willing to reduce their travel budget. Notre Dame would also be a good team to add competition wise (at least in football, I’m not sure how their other sports stack up). While adding Ashland or UIndy would be nice, I just don’t see them being as willing to move as Notre Dame right now.

3. Default Re: With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

I agree, they would probably get beat up in other sports by think. Middle of the Road at best. Honestly the biggest hurdle for them in a old politics of them not joining initially for whatever reason.

But with now basically losing 1.5 schools (DE/Malone football), I think the expansion needs to be soon. Especially if you end up losing the other WV schools.

4. Default Re: With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

The GMAC needs to continue to build on an already solid start, and continue to keep Ashland in the loop. I still think the end goal is Ashland in the GMAC. Ashland and Indy would put this conference right were it needs to be. Would be a very strong conference in all sports.

Also I get ND had a great year in football last year, but I have no clue where they are as an athletic department. The conference they play in is trash, Urban is one wrong move from not even have school.

5. Default Re: With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

Quote Originally Posted by unc4life View Post
    The GMAC needs to continue to build on an already solid start, and continue to keep Ashland in the loop. I still think the end goal is Ashland in the GMAC. Ashland and Indy would put this conference right were it needs to be. Would be a very strong conference in all sports.

Also I get ND had a great year in football last year, but I have no clue where they are as an athletic department. The conference they play in is trash, Urban is one wrong move from not even have school.

I think everyone thinks Ashland is going to end up in the G-MAC. It's mostly a matter of when. They didn't go before because competition concerns across all sports. While losing Malone doesn't help in football, I think end of the day, Ashland can't pass up the opportunity to avoid going to the UP for every sport.

Default Re: With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

NDC has shown a commitment to athletics and I still think that they are eventually G-MAC. Urbana doesn’t scare me as much as it does some of you. If Franklin shows commitment to athletics (and sometimes I think that adding athletics is one of the reasons they purchased Urbana), then I think they are in at some point too. Geography, stability and $ will trump any bad blood.

I continue to think that if Ashland comes, there is a good shot at UIndy. Would love to see one or more of the IN NAIAs move up (IWU, Taylor or Marian).

Oh, and for those who don’t know - our commissioner is a UIndy grad.

Quote Originally Posted by purduefan11 View Post
    I think everyone thinks Ashland is going to end up in the G-MAC. It's mostly a matter of when. They didn't go before because competition concerns across all sports. While losing Malone doesn't help in football, I think end of the day, Ashland can't pass up the opportunity to avoid going to the UP for every sport.
    Losing Malone football hurts from a numbers perspective, but not necessarily from a quality perspective.

8. Default Re: With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    NDC has shown a commitment to athletics and I still think that they are eventually G-MAC. Urbana doesn’t scare me as much as it does some of you. If Franklin shows commitment to athletics (and sometimes I think that adding athletics is one of the reasons they purchased Urbana), then I think they are in at some point too. Geography, stability and $ will trump any bad blood.

I continue to think that if Ashland comes, there is a good shot at UIndy. Would love to see one or more of the IN NAIAs move up (IWU, Taylor or Marian).

Oh, and for those who don’t know - our commissioner is a UIndy grad.
    I think of the IN NAIAs Marian and Saint Francis are the only options. The others are not nearly at the same competition level as Marian and USF. The other IN schools that could be interesting are maybe Depauw/Wabash (really strong commitment to their programs) and Oakland City, which is technically a D2 independent without football but probably fits better geographically in the GLVC.

I think of the IN NAIAs Marian and Saint Francis are the only options. The others are not nearly at the same competition level as Marian and USF. The other IN schools that could be interesting are maybe Depauw/Wabash (really strong commitment to their programs) and Oakland City, which is technically a D2 independent without football but probably fits better geographically in the GLVC.
    Just looking at the NAIA Directors' Cup Standings for 2017-18 it seems IWU, Marion, and Taylor can compete very well. I admit that I know only the basic facts about these schools.

5 Indiana Wesleyan
    15 Taylor
    32 Marian
    55 Saint Francis (IN)

Oakland City has not publicly shown much interest in joining a conference. Their schedules are overwhelmingly dominated by NAIA and NCCAA schools. It's questionable why they are even in D2.

10. Default Re: With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

1. Notre Dame College: I suspect NDC would be a trade for AB if either team activity moved to the correct geographic conference.

2. Urbana: No.

3. Uindy: Possible if ....

..... 4. Ashland: Rumor is when not if

5. Adding a NAIA/D3:
    Depauw (D3) No
    Wabash (D3) No
    Marian (NAIA) can't see both UIndy and Marian
    Saint Francis (NAIA) Interesting
    Thomas More (NAIA) Not sure

11. Default Re: With Malone cutting Football, Who does the conference need to add?

Quote Originally Posted by OhioD2 View Post
    1. Notre Dame College: I suspect NDC would be a trade for AB if either team activity moved to the correct geographic conference.

5. Adding a NAIA/D3:
    Depauw (D3) No
    Wabash (D3) No
    Fair assessment, an Marian/Uindy add would be killer I think. Would be extremely tough to pull Marian away from the much less regulated NAIA because their success is built on former D1 guys with eligibility/behavior issues.

I think the AB/NDC thought is good too, and I would consider Urbana a good add if you lost OVU and AB to the MEC. Urbana has to be at least as good for the conference as OVU has been.

Ya, Ashland is coming I think.

I'm curious if the GMAC has approached Mercyhurst and Gannon or the other way around? Being private, it seems those two have more in common with most GMAC members than they do with PSAC schools, plus they both used to be members of the GLIAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    I'm curious if the GMAC has approached Mercyhurst and Gannon or the other way around? Being private, it seems those two have more in common with most GMAC members than they do with PSAC schools, plus they both used to be members of the GLIAC.
    I think they have in the past. Not sure if they have lately but they should.

Oakland City is BARELY a D2 member, since they barely play any D2 schools despite meeting all other requirements for NCAA membership. Take a look at their basketball schedules and you'll probably want to reconsider that option.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by OhioD2 View Post

5. Adding a NAIA/D3:
    Depauw (D3) No
    Wabash (D3) No
    Thomas More, which for those unfamiliar, is located just a little south of Cincinnati in Northern Kentucky, just moved from D3 to NAIA, a move that might have been motivated by their sanctions case involving the women's basketball program. So, you can scratch them off the list.

I have been asking a bunch of people about this topic.

The league would love the Erie schools.
    Football is the big holdout at Ashland.
    Northwood is on the wish list of many, but highly doubtful.
    D3 schools are long, long shots. The good ones are established in long-time leagues and the "non-scholarship" game is easier to play than funding and accounting for the athletic scholarships at the D2 level.
    Hillsdale ‘94

Quote Originally Posted by chargerblue View Post
    I always keep my eye on the Erie schools. I have no reason to believe that they aren't happy where they are. And, I have to believe that the G-MAC footprint is further west of their traditional recruiting area (for the school in general, not necessarily athletics only)

That said, they do share history with Hillsdale and Findlay (and Ashland and UIndy) and align nicely institutionally. Edit: If they did come, I think Seton Hill would be involved too.
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 02-11-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    I always keep my eye on the Erie schools. I have no reason to believe that they aren't happy where they are. And, I have to believe that the G-MAC footprint is further west of their traditional recruiting area (for the school in general, not necessarily athletics only)

That said, they do share history with Hillsdale and Findlay (and Ashland and UIndy) and align nicely institutionally. Edit: If they did come, I think Seton Hill would be involved too.
    I wouldn't hold my breath on the Erie schools. Their travel isn't horrendous, since their longest road trips are to west of Philadelphia (West Chester), and they've historically held their own in non-football sports.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath on the Erie schools. Their travel isn't horrendous, since their longest road trips are to west of Philadelphia (West Chester), and they've historically held their own in non-football sports.
    Completely agree/understood.

Quote Originally Posted by chargerblue View Post
    I have been asking a bunch of people about this topic.

Football is the big holdout at Ashland.
    Northwood is on the wish list of many, but highly doubtful.
    D3 schools are long, long shots. The good ones are established in long-time leagues and the "non-scholarship" game is easier to play than funding and accounting for the athletic scholarships at the D2 level.
    I always thought that Lee Owens is the reason that Ashland decided to stay in the GLIAC. They said that they would revisit conference affiliation in two years(now one year). Coach Owens is now 62 years old, maybe they move in another year and Owens moves on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast