Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: OT: another stellar recruiting class at Texas Tech

Contribute to D2

Default OT: another stellar recruiting class at Texas Tech

We are gonna need a lot of sunshine pumping from the Tech crowd over the next few years. The only positive is that Tech wasn't dead last in Power 5 this year. Tech got one 4-star player.

Default Re: OT: another stellar recruiting class at Texas Tech

I see 3 Big 12 teams ranked in the 60's right there. Good lord.

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    Folks shouldnt put alot of stock in those rankings. Most services rate the kids on ideal characteristics for Alabama, possible pro level future athletes.

Im Sure Army's senior class when signed was probably lower than every other team they played seniors. They only lost 2 games one was an OT loss to Oklahoma, and they flat beat the pants off houston, in every facet of their bowl game.

College teams work based on programs, Washington st hasnt torn up the recruiting polls but is a top 25 team.

Now im not saying Tech isnt going to suck but.....USC and a couple other teams win the recruiting titles often, yet havent been in discussion fir a national title in a decade or more, much less conference titles.

?

There's a direct correlation between great recruiting classes and winning championships. USC hasnt won a recruiting title in eons. They were #20 yesterday.
    Last edited by LionFan; 02-07-2019 at 11:50 AM.

?

There's a direct correlation between great recruiting classes and winning championships. USC hasnt won a recruiting title in eons. They were #20 yesterday.
    What were they last year? year before? so on and on..... Clemson was 9th last year according to Espn's info, USC is 20th this year, 19th last year. finished 5-7 last year.....

Recruiting matters, but only so much as your recruits produce results on the field....you can be top 25 in recruiting all you want if your not getting kids that fit your system your ginna struggle.

BTW Army 2014 recruitment class rank...121, Houston cougars....75th.

Ignores the Big 12 team who came in above his SEC SEC SEC team..... LOL!

Army beat Junior high teams the entire season, go look at that schedule. OU was good, Houston obviously wasn't

Army beat Junior high teams the entire season, go look at that schedule. OU was good, Houston obviously wasn't
    OU recruited Texas very well. Landed a few top 20 Texas recruits. (much thanks to Murray)

Here is pretty good assessment

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...gning-day-2019

I love how Notre Dame ranked #14 with all their DII athletes. 707.

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Folks shouldnt put alot of stock in those rankings. Most services rate the kids on ideal characteristics for Alabama, possible pro level future athletes.

Im Sure Army's senior class when signed was probably lower than every other team they played seniors. They only lost 2 games one was an OT loss to Oklahoma, and they flat beat the pants off houston, in every facet of their bowl game.

College teams work based on programs, Washington st hasnt torn up the recruiting polls but is a top 25 team.

Now im not saying Tech isnt going to suck but.....USC and a couple other teams win the recruiting titles often, yet havent been in discussion fir a national title in a decade or more, much less conference titles.
    1. Rank teams based on the average recruiting rank for the past three years. The teams playing for the national championship will invariably be from the top 10. More often than not from the top five.

2. The lower the division the less reliable recruiting rank becomes. The four and five star athletes who sign with power schools have invariably been closely scrutinized at numerous camps and graded multiple times based on HUDL tapes. The two and three star athletes who sign with lower tier FBS, FCS, D2 and D3 schools are not vetted as closely by recruiting services and there are more errors. A lot of quality athletes Who don’t go to summer camps aren’t ranked at all. At these levels vetting by the coaching staff becomes more important along with a stellar player development program.

Just my two cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by catatonic View Post
    1. Rank teams based on the average recruiting rank for the past three years. The teams playing for the national championship will invariably be from the top 10. More often than not from the top five.

2. The lower the division the less reliable recruiting rank becomes. The four and five star athletes who sign with power schools have invariably been closely scrutinized at numerous camps and graded multiple times based on HUDL tapes. The two and three star athletes who sign with lower tier FBS, FCS, D2 and D3 schools are not vetted as closely by recruiting services and there are more errors. A lot of quality athletes Who don’t go to summer camps aren’t ranked at all. At these levels vetting by the coaching staff becomes more important along with a stellar player development program.

Just my two cents worth.
    All good points. But 99 out of 100, a top 10 player is EXACTLY that. And THAT player IS going to a top 20, and most likely, a top 10 school.

Meanwhile, Colby has landed the #3 recruiting class in FCS.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    I saw where he signed the Rikel kid, a QB out of Canyon High.

247, rivals? I don't think ESPN does fcs

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    247, rivals? I don't think ESPN does fcs
    Reported by SFA athletic Dept. I've been trying to find the FCS recruit rankings independently, but havent found where they got their info yet.

EDIT: Yup, 247sports.

17. Default Re: OT: another stellar recruiting class at Texas Tech

Reported by SFA athletic Dept. I've been trying to find the FCS recruit rankings independently, but havent found where they got their info yet.

Hero Sports releases final rankings Feb 11th, but going into Signing Day they had SFA tied for top class in the conference and the top late riser. Obviously any recruiting entity can be wrong, but when most agree it typically works out. Coach Carthel and co. worked magic in a short time...

I don’t know where they got their rankings. Hero Sports has been gushing over SFA’s class but won’t publish their class rankings until early next week. 247 Sports ranks all D1 and some D2 programs. While they don’t list FCS schools separately you can go down their rankings and develop a top 20 FCS class list. Using this method it looks like SFA is either second or third. By any measure SFA had a great recruiting year.

Thank you. I've never taken the time to look for FCS rankings and didn't know they existed

Quote Originally Posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
    I saw where he signed the Rikel kid, a QB out of Canyon High.
    I saw him play in HS. 6' 165 lbs. I may be wrong, but I'd bet he never starts a game at SFA. I wish Rikel luck, but I wonder what Colby was thinking.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast