Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OT: another stellar recruiting class at Texas Tech

Contribute to D2

Default Re: OT: another stellar recruiting class at Texas Tech

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I saw him play in HS. 6' 165 lbs. I may be wrong, but I'd bet he never starts a game at SFA. I wish Rikel luck, but I wonder what Colby was thinking.
    I thought the exact same thing.... IF he plays, it won't be at QB.

I saw him play in HS. 6' 165 lbs. I may be wrong, but I'd bet he never starts a game at SFA. I wish Rikel luck, but I wonder what Colby was thinking.
    I also definitely didnt see him as a D1 talent. I watched them play a couple times this year. He has some decent speed but nothing special. I'm sure Carthel does it to keep a presence in the Panhandle so that when a really good one comes along he has a chance. He signed a QB from Canyon a couple years ago to Commerce that I don't think has a chance at ever playing

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    ?

There's a direct correlation between great recruiting classes and winning championships. USC hasnt won a recruiting title in eons. They were #20 yesterday.
    Nick Saban said he pays no attention to stars when offering a kid. He said in the last 10 years Alabama has offered 8 kids who had NO Stars and over 20 Kids who were 2 Star Recruits when they offered them. Within a week of being offered by Alabama they were all moved up to 4 star recruits by rivals. I agree the teams that sign the best classes win at a much higher level. I just don't believe the people ranking the classes really have any ideal who REALLY signed the best players.

4. Default Re: OT: another stellar recruiting class at Texas Tech

Quote Originally Posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
    I saw where he signed the Rikel kid, a QB out of Canyon High.
    What! WT let one of their local kids get away!

Quote Originally Posted by catatonic View Post
    I don’t know where they got their rankings. Hero Sports has been gushing over SFA’s class but won’t publish their class rankings until early next week. 247 Sports ranks all D1 and some D2 programs. While they don’t list FCS schools separately you can go down their rankings and develop a top 20 FCS class list. Using this method it looks like SFA is either second or third. By any measure SFA had a great recruiting year.
    Did you expect anything different from the Carthel'S???

Kid is a JOCK.....a real STUD. Carthel has something in mind.

Today's TOP Qb is 5'9 & under 200 LBS. He is a stud with quick feet, laser arm, and great vision.

The old 1970's pocket QB is dead. A new wave is a coming. AND is already making it all the way to the NFL. BE READY or get LEFT BEHIND!

#EmbraceChange

Quote Originally Posted by DIIguru View Post
    Nick Saban said he pays no attention to stars when offering a kid. He said in the last 10 years Alabama has offered 8 kids who had NO Stars and over 20 Kids who were 2 Star Recruits when they offered them. Within a week of being offered by Alabama they were all moved up to 4 star recruits by rivals. I agree the teams that sign the best classes win at a much higher level. I just don't believe the people ranking the classes really have any ideal who REALLY signed the best players.
    This is exactly how it works.

If two players are exactly the same, the one committed to Alabama will be a 4 star while the one committed to UAB will be a 2 star.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

If two players are exactly the same, the one committed to Alabama will be a 4 star while the one committed to UAB will be a 2 star.
    Yep... recruiting class rankings are bunk. Seriously no one knows how any of these 17-19 year olds will do. Its all just fodder to keep us old guys engaged and spending money!

His stature didn't seem to match a Carthel quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
    His stature didn't seem to match a Carthel quarterback.
    I'd take the QB kid from Glen Rose that WT signed, Cameron Griffin, over Rikel. Without question. Griffin is 6'1 and 190. I've watched his highlight video 4 times now. Good arm, quick release, accurate, very mobile, able to pull it down and make something happen when it's the thing to do. A prototype for the kind of QB Pops was describing.

Pop, take a look at Griffin and give me your opinion. It will be valued.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 02-07-2019 at 11:29 PM.

I'd take the QB kid from Glen Rose that WT signed, Cameron Griffin, over Rikel. Without question. Griffin is 6'1 and 190. I've watched his highlight video 4 times now. Good arm, quick release, accurate, very mobile, able to pull it down and make something happen when it's the thing to do. A prototype for the kind of QB Pops was describing.

Pop, take a look at Griffin and give me your opinion. It will be valued.
    I like this QB. He plays a bit slow, but in all fairness he competed at 4A....he WILL learn how to play much faster at the collegiate level. Excellent play-maker in my opinion. Very hard to defend. He knows HOW to win.(most important) Thumbs up from me!!

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    I like this QB. He plays a bit slow, but in all fairness he competed at 4A....he WILL learn how to play much faster at the collegiate level. Excellent play-maker in my opinion. Very hard to defend. He knows HOW to win.(most important) Thumbs up from me!!
    Thanks! Get him a RS year, some PT as a RSF and soph and maybe it's his job for his last two years. I have a feeling the Levelland kid and TxTech transfer, Nick Gerber, will be ensconced for the next three years.

Unless they can find a better QB than Gerber or Griffin. That's an even better solution.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 02-08-2019 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks! Get him a RS year, some PT as a RSF and soph and maybe it's his job for his last two years. I have a feeling the Levelland kid and TxTech transfer, Nick Gerber, will be ensconced for the next three years.

Unless they can find a better QB than Gerber or Griffin. That's an even better solution.
    Is the freshman last year Maxwell Perez still on the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    Is the freshman last year Maxwell Perez still on the team?

He had some family issues. He’s back in Austin. They hope he’ll return this fall.

He had some family issues. He’s back in Austin. They hope he’ll return this fall.
    Hate to hear that. Kid seemed like a stud

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

So UAB has comparable talent to Alabama because the recruiting rankings are bunk ?

17. Default Re: OT: another stellar recruiting class at Texas Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    So UAB has comparable talent to Alabama because the recruiting rankings are bunk ?
    He literally says if TWO players. Not 105

Agreed

19. Default Re: OT: another stellar recruiting class at Texas Tech

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    Meanwhile, Colby has landed the #3 recruiting class in FCS.
    What do you bet that Colby will have the LumberJacks in the FCS playoffs in a couple of seasons? Optimism is running high down in Nacogdoches!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
    What do you bet that Colby will have the LumberJacks in the FCS playoffs in a couple of seasons? Optimism is running high down in Nacogdoches!
    hmmmm. You think in 3 seasons???

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast