Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    704
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    7023

    Default Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Here's Frostburg State's 1st D-II Recruiting Class:

    https://frostburgsports.com/news/201...y-central.aspx

  2. #2

    Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    Here's Frostburg State's 1st D-II Recruiting Class:

    https://frostburgsports.com/news/201...y-central.aspx
    Good amount of size it looks like. They are going to need it.

    Was definitely concerned for Shepherd's future in recruiting with them moving to D2... this class is basically entirely in the same area of where Shepherd focuses. Gonna be interesting going forward.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,105
    Rep Power
    308570

    Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    They hit MD HARD which was expected. But they also pulled six players from Northern VA which probably wasn't expected. They also got a D1 grad transfer QB who was the former starter at Albany.

    If they keep this up, they could be a front line contender pretty quickly!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    How did Wheeling Jesuit impact the MEC? I didn't see anything about their class. I know they were trying to make some inroads in the WPIAL (like everybody else).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    704
    Rep Power
    7023

    Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    How did Wheeling Jesuit impact the MEC? I didn't see anything about their class. I know they were trying to make some inroads in the WPIAL (like everybody else).
    Their signees are listed on their Twitter account:

    https://twitter.com/wjufootball

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,105
    Rep Power
    308570

    Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Heavy OH and MD. Odd that ZERO are from WV...not even Wheeling Catholic which plays its home games at WJ.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    704
    Rep Power
    7023

    Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    And here's Coach Fitzgerald commenting on his Recruiting Class:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvztrVc6k9k

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,105
    Rep Power
    308570

    Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    And here's Coach Fitzgerald commenting on his Recruiting Class:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvztrVc6k9k
    Fitzgerald is a dynamic young coach no doubt! Beyond the specifics of who they recruited, this is a VERY informative interview about the dynamics of recruiting...The quality of players from DMV compared to the rest of the nation, the "school size" vs "winning program" dynamic and the size/speed/length difference between the various NCAA levels.

    I'm starting to get worried about the Cat's. They may not challenge for the MEC title this coming season but they are going to be much better than maybe we thought they would be their first year. If they keep on course and continue to recruit like they did this year, they will be in the top tier of the MEC pretty quickly and the top rung of the MEC pretty much dominates SR1.

  9. Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Fitzgerald is a dynamic young coach no doubt! Beyond the specifics of who they recruited, this is a VERY informative interview about the dynamics of recruiting...The quality of players from DMV compared to the rest of the nation, the "school size" vs "winning program" dynamic and the size/speed/length difference between the various NCAA levels.

    I'm starting to get worried about the Cat's. They may not challenge for the MEC title this coming season but they are going to be much better than maybe we thought they would be their first year. If they keep on course and continue to recruit like they did this year, they will be in the top tier of the MEC pretty quickly and Shepherd dominates SR1.
    Fixed it for you, chief. (Last sentence)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,105
    Rep Power
    308570

    Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    Fixed it for you, chief. (Last sentence)
    But I've been lead to believe that Shepherd is going to be an also ran in the PSAC...how can they dominate SR1 when they are an also ran??? Meanwhile, the MEC just keeps rolling to SR1 titles...NDC last year...Shepherd before that and Concord before that. Next season will be more of the same and in a couple of years, Frostburg will probably be ready to claim their place at the top of the MEC and SR1 heap.

  11. Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    But I've been lead to believe that Shepherd is going to be an also ran in the PSAC...how can they dominate SR1 when they are an also ran??? Meanwhile, the MEC just keeps rolling to SR1 titles...NDC last year...Shepherd before that and Concord before that. Next season will be more of the same and in a couple of years, Frostburg will probably be ready to claim their place at the top of the MEC and SR1 heap.
    Frostburg hasn’t even played 1 D-2 school yet, and you are claiming they will be dominating SR1. Those are not facts. You use words and phrases like up and coming, probably, etc.

    Bottom line every once in a while a team catches lightning in a bottle. Concord did win the region and then hasn’t done diddly squat since. NDC is yet to be seen, and to be honest I hope they continue to play at a high level. It only helps the region. But you don’t like to believe in facts. Here is a fact for you below.

    Shep has been the only conisistent winner in your conference.

    I do Fairmont was the second place team in your conference in 2016, 2017 (I could be mistaken). I also believe they played East Stroudsburg that year (2017). ESU was second to last in the PSAC East. Who won that ESU/Fairmont State game?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    296

    Default Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    Frostburg hasn’t even played 1 D-2 school yet, and you are claiming they will be dominating SR1. Those are not facts. You use words and phrases like up and coming, probably, etc.

    Bottom line every once in a while a team catches lightning in a bottle. Concord did win the region and then hasn’t done diddly squat since. NDC is yet to be seen, and to be honest I hope they continue to play at a high level. It only helps the region. But you don’t like to believe in facts. Here is a fact for you below.

    Shep has been the only conisistent winner in your conference.

    I do Fairmont was the second place team in your conference in 2016, 2017 (I could be mistaken). I also believe they played East Stroudsburg that year (2017). ESU was second to last in the PSAC East. Who won that ESU/Fairmont State game?

    Shepard has been consistent because they do a good job of recruiting. As did Frostburg so I believe that will help them right out the gate. Some of the schools in the PSAC do a majority of their recruiting in their own backyards and I don’t see that leading to success. ESU had the worst record last year and still didn’t seem to do much recruiting outside of their own area.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Quote Originally Posted by MC1313 View Post
    Shepard has been consistent because they do a good job of recruiting. As did Frostburg so I believe that will help them right out the gate. Some of the schools in the PSAC do a majority of their recruiting in their own backyards and I don’t see that leading to success. ESU had the worst record last year and still didn’t seem to do much recruiting outside of their own area.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shepherd wasn’t good because of Monte Carter? No love for him, only because of their recruiting footprint?

    You are basically telling me because FSU recruits the same footbprint at Shep, than they will be good. That argument doesn’t hold any merit. FSU could easily be getting the leftovers from Shepherd. You have no evidence that they will
    Be good out of the gate based on where they recruited.

    I hope they do well, but it appears your expectations, as well as Boat’s, are a bit extreme in their first year at the D-2 level.

    And ESU recruiting has nothing to do with this topic. They have not been very well, like you stated. But the reason I brought it up is because Boat believes the MEC gets screwed over playoff spots each year, and that they get little respect. I disagree, and stated my reason why. My point being that Fairmont was one of their better teams the past few years, and lost to ESU in a crossover.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    704
    Rep Power
    7023

    Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    Shepherd wasn’t good because of Monte Carter? No love for him, only because of their recruiting footprint?

    You are basically telling me because FSU recruits the same footbprint at Shep, than they will be good. That argument doesn’t hold any merit. FSU could easily be getting the leftovers from Shepherd. You have no evidence that they will
    Be good out of the gate based on where they recruited.

    I hope they do well, but it appears your expectations, as well as Boat’s, are a bit extreme in their first year at the D-2 level.

    And ESU recruiting has nothing to do with this topic. They have not been very well, like you stated. But the reason I brought it up is because Boat believes the MEC gets screwed over playoff spots each year, and that they get little respect. I disagree, and stated my reason why. My point being that Fairmont was one of their better teams the past few years, and lost to ESU in a crossover.
    Frostburg State has ALWAYS gotten the leftovers from Shepherd and Bowie State. As far as playmakers in this recruiting class, I would say again Frostburg State got the leftovers. Besides RB "Boogie" Middleton and the graduate transfer QB I thought the rest of recruited playmakers were just ok. Maybe Coach Fitzgerald is waiting for more "casualties" from the FCS and D-II level after Spring practices, but other than WR Malik Morris they are REALLY lacking at the skill positions. I am REALLY pulling for Frostburg, but it will take them a little time to be competitive at the D-II level

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,105
    Rep Power
    308570

    Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    Shepherd wasn’t good because of Monte Carter? No love for him, only because of their recruiting footprint?

    You are basically telling me because FSU recruits the same footbprint at Shep, than they will be good. That argument doesn’t hold any merit. FSU could easily be getting the leftovers from Shepherd. You have no evidence that they will
    Be good out of the gate based on where they recruited.

    I hope they do well, but it appears your expectations, as well as Boat’s, are a bit extreme in their first year at the D-2 level.

    And ESU recruiting has nothing to do with this topic. They have not been very well, like you stated. But the reason I brought it up is because Boat believes the MEC gets screwed over playoff spots each year, and that they get little respect. I disagree, and stated my reason why. My point being that Fairmont was one of their better teams the past few years, and lost to ESU in a crossover.
    Never said Frostburg would be good their first DII season. I did say that they would be better than expected. Now two+ years out, yea, I think they will be good and will compete for MEC titles and with that comes a pretty good shot at the SR1 crown.

    Shepherd was good for a number of reasons. A large part of that was Monte but it also helped that they were the major DII recruiter in the very fertile Maryland part of the DMV. With Frostburg moving up to DII, now they have a direct challenger and their recruiting will probably suffer as a result. As for Bowie being a Maryland recruiter, really the only place they have traditionally heavily recruited is PG County (were Bowie is located) and to a much lesser extent, Baltimore City. Not saying they have never pulled a recruit from any other part of the state, just that it really hasn't seemed like a focus for them.

    Is there room for Frostburg AND Shepherd to be successful recruiting the majority of their roster from MD? Sure it is. But I think what is likely to happen is that players that may have ended up going to Shepherd because they were effectively the only game in town will now have a second option and that option will be able to give them a lower tuition "bill" (lower in-state tuition). McCook and Shepherd will still get some (many?) from MD but the quality will probably be reduce due to the direct cheaper compation.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 02-18-2019 at 12:04 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    Shepherd wasn’t good because of Monte Carter? No love for him, only because of their recruiting footprint?

    You are basically telling me because FSU recruits the same footbprint at Shep, than they will be good. That argument doesn’t hold any merit. FSU could easily be getting the leftovers from Shepherd. You have no evidence that they will
    Be good out of the gate based on where they recruited.

    I hope they do well, but it appears your expectations, as well as Boat’s, are a bit extreme in their first year at the D-2 level.

    And ESU recruiting has nothing to do with this topic. They have not been very well, like you stated. But the reason I brought it up is because Boat believes the MEC gets screwed over playoff spots each year, and that they get little respect. I disagree, and stated my reason why. My point being that Fairmont was one of their better teams the past few years, and lost to ESU in a crossover.

    The point I was trying to make was that recruiting will help them succeed. I believe Shepard will be one of the top teams in the PSAC this year and feel that way because of their success in recruiting. The bottom teams in the PSAC have done bad in recruiting and this year (Gannon, Lock Haven ) went outside their own backyards and recruited. I believe they will look better this year then years in the past.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    704
    Rep Power
    7023

    Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Quote Originally Posted by MC1313 View Post
    The point I was trying to make was that recruiting will help them succeed. I believe Shepard will be one of the top teams in the PSAC this year and feel that way because of their success in recruiting. The bottom teams in the PSAC have done bad in recruiting and this year (Gannon, Lock Haven ) went outside their own backyards and recruited. I believe they will look better this year then years in the past.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In regards to Gannon I went back a few years:
    2013 - https://gannonsports.com/news/2013/4...413134130.aspx
    2014 - https://gannonsports.com/news/2014/2...?path=football
    2015 - https://gannonsports.com/news/2015/2...?path=football
    2016 - https://gannonsports.com/news/2016/2...?path=football
    2017 - https://gannonsports.com/news/2017/2...?path=football
    2018 - https://gannonsports.com/news/2018/2...?path=football

    As you can see Gannon has ALWAYS went outside their backyard. With their private school tuition, its very difficult them to grab players in their backyard when these players can attend the public PSAC schools for much less. They have to seek players outside the of Pa.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    In regards to Gannon I went back a few years:
    2013 - https://gannonsports.com/news/2013/4...413134130.aspx
    2014 - https://gannonsports.com/news/2014/2...?path=football
    2015 - https://gannonsports.com/news/2015/2...?path=football
    2016 - https://gannonsports.com/news/2016/2...?path=football
    2017 - https://gannonsports.com/news/2017/2...?path=football
    2018 - https://gannonsports.com/news/2018/2...?path=football

    As you can see Gannon has ALWAYS went outside their backyard. With their private school tuition, its very difficult them to grab players in their backyard when these players can attend the public PSAC schools for much less. They have to seek players outside the of Pa.
    And, of course, they gotta be LIT AF, too.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    704
    Rep Power
    7023

    Default Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    And, of course, they gotta be LIT AF, too.
    Yes...that too....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •