Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Signing Day

Default Re: Signing Day

Quote Originally Posted by washeduptiger View Post
    https://fhsuathletics.com/news/2019/...y-central.aspx

Seems Brown and Co. Had a similar idea to Wright as far as a need to get bigger in trenches.
    I'd say so... geez! Them some bigs boys!

Kendrick Davis, 6-3, 335, OL, West Bend, Wisc. (Iowa Western CC)
    Ted Hessing, 6-6, 340, OL, Stuart, Fla. (Arizona Western CC)
    Matthew Redick, 6-4, 305, OL, Wichita, Kan. (Bishop Carroll HS)
    Jacob Schroeder, 6-4, 290, OL, Victoria, Kan. (Victoria HS)

Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Holy cow. Is that some kind of record for number of signees?
    A couple of years ago, Southern brought in a class of like 75. So no, not a record lol

3. Default Re: Signing Day

Quote Originally Posted by IM N GUD H&NZ BEARCAT View Post
    Shout out to #CalledToDutyGorillaWarfare
    That's a ridiculous hashtag, but what in the ever-loving hell is #R19HGANG supposed to be?
    I expect something like #coaLIT19n from MSSU, but c'mon Northwest.

https://mssulions.com/news/2019/2/6/...y-central.aspx

There is Southern's page... but, I think it's incomplete as the MOSOFootball twitter account sent a few more tweets out last night regarding new signees.

I think there are two kids in particular on this list to be very, very excited about:

Reginald Hemphill- WR who started his college career at University of Texas (had a 91-yard punt return TD vs Maryland 2 years ago)... High 3* guy on all the major recruiting sites out of HS... Bounced back to Trinity Valley CC and is now in Joplin... As D2 recruits go, this is about as exciting as a prospect can be.
    Dillon Williams- MLB manned the middle of Sims' defense at Garden City for the last two years... Led GCCC with 91 tackles in 2018 and had 17 TFL (5 sacks)... At Holcomb HS in KS he was the 4A-II defensive player of the year and won a state championship.

They also added some good size on the lines:
    Sebastian Blunt 6-5 300 lbs
    Gabriel Collins 6-5 330 lbs
    Caleb Gouge 6-0 308 lbs
    Carlos Hernandez 6-5 330 lbs
    Tanner Smith 6-8 310 lbs

They did only bring in two local kids but, I think they are both legit D2 prospects... I would rather only get a couple local kids like that than just load up on token locals to drum up generic excitement.

LB Colton Winder (Carthage MO)- offers from Missouri S&T and Southern Arkansas
    OL/DL Caleb Gouge (Lamar MO)- offers from Morningside (D3 National Champs), SBU, and Pitt State.

One last observation to note: They aren't listing positions anywhere with regards to these kids on the recruiting landing site. By my count, at least 11 of these signees were wide receivers in HS. This is just an theory but, in the early-going all of the receivers that this staff gave offers to were big-bodied guys (6-2 or taller, most at least 185 lbs and some up to 210 lbs)... then as the process got later, they moved on to smaller guys (5'8-6'1, 160-180 lbs.)
    I wonder if the idea is to utilize some of these smaller guys in the run game and try to overwhelm defensive backs with size on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanAndDuquesne View Post
    https://mssulions.com/news/2019/2/6/...y-central.aspx

There is Southern's page... but, I think it's incomplete as the MOSOFootball twitter account sent a few more tweets out last night regarding new signees.

I think there are two kids in particular on this list to be very, very excited about:

Reginald Hemphill- WR who started his college career at University of Texas (had a 91-yard punt return TD vs Maryland 2 years ago)... High 3* guy on all the major recruiting sites out of HS... Bounced back to Trinity Valley CC and is now in Joplin... As D2 recruits go, this is about as exciting as a prospect can be.
    Dillon Williams- MLB manned the middle of Sims' defense at Garden City for the last two years... Led GCCC with 91 tackles in 2018 and had 17 TFL (5 sacks)... At Holcomb HS in KS he was the 4A-II defensive player of the year and won a state championship.

They also added some good size on the lines:
    Sebastian Blunt 6-5 300 lbs
    Gabriel Collins 6-5 330 lbs
    Caleb Gouge 6-0 308 lbs
    Carlos Hernandez 6-5 330 lbs
    Tanner Smith 6-8 310 lbs

They did only bring in two local kids but, I think they are both legit D2 prospects... I would rather only get a couple local kids like that than just load up on token locals to drum up generic excitement.

LB Colton Winder (Carthage MO)- offers from Missouri S&T and Southern Arkansas
    OL/DL Caleb Gouge (Lamar MO)- offers from Morningside (D3 National Champs), SBU, and Pitt State.

One last observation to note: They aren't listing positions anywhere with regards to these kids on the recruiting landing site. By my count, at least 11 of these signees were wide receivers in HS. This is just an theory but, in the early-going all of the receivers that this staff gave offers to were big-bodied guys (6-2 or taller, most at least 185 lbs and some up to 210 lbs)... then as the process got later, they moved on to smaller guys (5'8-6'1, 160-180 lbs.)
    I wonder if the idea is to utilize some of these smaller guys in the run game and try to overwhelm defensive backs with size on the outside.
    A lot of schools just recruit athletes, (Usually HS QB, WR, and DB) then find a skill position where they can excel.

A lot of schools just recruit athletes, (Usually HS QB, WR, and DB) then find a skill position where they can excel.
    For sure. I wasn't trying to insinuate that this was a revolutionary thought process, I just meant that it may mean that Southern could suddenly have an abundance of 6-2 DBs or speed rushers who are converted receivers... Just something to keep an eye on is all.

Quote Originally Posted by lleachieshusband View Post
    But can that WR catch consistently at speed? Can he get separation? And can he run consistent routes? That’s what separates a George Sehl or Randy Schmidt from a Shawn Bane ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been watching that WR, Kaden Davis from Ellsworth, for about 3 years now. He trained at Sharp Performance and killed on their 7v7 team. Great hands, great speed and HARD worker. U r gonna get a special player, wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyton21dad View Post
    I've been watching that WR, Kaden Davis from Ellsworth, for about 3 years now. He trained at Sharp Performance and killed on their 7v7 team. Great hands, great speed and HARD worker. U r gonna get a special player, wait and see.
    I hope you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred33 View Post
    I'd say so... geez! Them some bigs boys!

Kendrick Davis, 6-3, 335, OL, West Bend, Wisc. (Iowa Western CC)
    Ted Hessing, 6-6, 340, OL, Stuart, Fla. (Arizona Western CC)
    Matthew Redick, 6-4, 305, OL, Wichita, Kan. (Bishop Carroll HS)
    Jacob Schroeder, 6-4, 290, OL, Victoria, Kan. (Victoria HS)
    335lbs and 340 lbs Has me less than enthused

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    Wait. WTF?!
    Exactly. Schmidt had what had to be the sickest catch in D2NCG history.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lleachieshusband View Post
    OK, to explain:

Bane has speed. But we’ve also seen cases where he’s dropped some catchable balls and muffed a punt or two.

Both Sehl and Schmidt (who was pretty darn fast although not as fast as Bane), were more consistent at catching and running routes.

My point was that speed (and only speed) isn’t everything for a WR ... my prime example here is Jake Soy - he didn’t have Bane’s speed, but he could run his routes, get separation as needed, and he had way better hands.

Makes sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The type of guys you are talking don’t go D2. There are exceptions to this rule, of course (John Brown), but it’s pretty rare.

12. Default Re: Signing Day

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    The type of guys you are talking don’t go D2. There are exceptions to this rule, of course (John Brown), but it’s pretty rare.
    So we've got two examples. John Brown and Jake Soy. I'd guess two of the top five D2 WRs of the past 25 years. So, in essence, the concern of the OP is that this transfer WR is not going to be one of the top 5 WRs in modern D2 history. He's probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post
    So we've got two examples. John Brown and Jake Soy. I'd guess two of the top five D2 WRs of the past 25 years. So, in essence, the concern of the OP is that this transfer WR is not going to be one of the top 5 WRs in modern D2 history. He's probably right.
    Soy was excellent, there are probably only 5-10 guys ive seen at that level along with like a Joe Hastings. John Brown was another level entirely though

IH8FERRIS

Rector was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by HookemHerd View Post
    Soy was excellent, there are probably only 5-10 guys ive seen at that level along with like a Joe Hastings. John Brown was another level entirely though
    Speaking of Soy- I will never forget in like 2008 or 2009 when Washburn's safety Curran decapitated him in the endzone. After the game Soys father went up to Curran and demanded an apology (he didn't get it). Love how coach Brown gets his safeties to play.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HookemHerd View Post
    Couldn’t agree more. Soy was great, but he was still someone who was an elite D2 kind of talent but JB was truly something special. Only other two I’ve seen with my own eyes on his level were Clyde Gates and Johnny Knox.Not sure how he ended up at Pitt after playing for Mars Hill (iirc) with both schools being run-centric at the time. Kinda makes you wonder what his numbers would have been for a pass happy team.

Rector was really good.
    Yes he was. He was another level as well. I wish he had not hurt his knee his freshman year. He probably would have had a better NFL career.

heard this kid from MN State was pretty good. Adam something or other. Think he is getting a cup of coffee in the nfl.

20. Default Re: Signing Day

I saw Luke Jennings play a lot in high school and am very happy Pitt got him. I don't know if they will keep him at running back bit of they do and put some more bulk on him he can be a bulldozer. Pitt needs Gardner's QB and OLB next year when they graduate.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast