Thread: OT: No Hot Water at Cheyney

Contribute to D2

Default OT: No Hot Water at Cheyney

Trying to not kick an old dog while its down, but...

https://6abc.com/education/cheney-un...-days/5122963/

Default Re: OT: No Hot Water at Cheyney

Time to shut the doors I can't see how any student would be willing to pay 20K at a university with ancient facilities let alone a dorm without hot water in the dead winter in Pennsylvania smh.

I get it. They have a nice tradition and love the place and it is never easy to give up on something that is near and dear to the heart. But some times you just need to let go and realize the better days are never coming back. It is time to allow Cheyney to be adsorbed by another school that is in better shape and wants the Cheyney asset or even just let it go completely to never be heard from again if another school does not want to take Cheyney.

The irony is that the institution has been in hot water since the '90's.

For goodness sake, keep all of the dead horses away from you guys too...Absolutely brutal...

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Trying to not kick an old dog while its down, but...

https://6abc.com/education/cheney-un...-days/5122963/

Their dorms are old. I can’t imagine that any of them are full. They have to have a vacant one considering the drop in enrollment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefln View Post
    I get it. They have a nice tradition and love the place and it is never easy to give up on something that is near and dear to the heart. But some times you just need to let go and realize the better days are never coming back. It is time to allow Cheyney to be adsorbed by another school that is in better shape and wants the Cheyney asset or even just let it go completely to never be heard from again if another school does not want to take Cheyney.

I’m thinking Delco should take it over.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    I’m thinking Delco should take it over.
    The facilities are so outdated would it be worth the financial risk for Delaware County Community College to risk taking it over? Granted it would give them access to fields to possibly assemble a JUCO football team which if ran properly can bring in extra revenue as they instantly would be able to join a conference with Lackawanna, VFMC, ASA College & the JV squads of Penn, Delaware Valley, Army & Navy.

I think PASSHE should run it as a junior college like those in the southeast and southwest - residential traditional college experience. Unlimited credit transfer to PASSHE schools. Anyone else you're on your own. They could play football against Lackawanna, Erie, Monroe, etc. It basically is that right now. Take kids who show potential but aren't adequately prepared academically for undergraduate work. Some of them may need the geographical isolation that comes with attending Cheyney.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I think PASSHE should run it as a junior college like those in the southeast and southwest - residential traditional college experience. Unlimited credit transfer to PASSHE schools. Anyone else you're on your own. They could play football against Lackawanna, Erie, Monroe, etc. It basically is that right now. Take kids who show potential but aren't adequately prepared academically for undergraduate work. Some of them may need the geographical isolation that comes with attending Cheyney.
    I think that's a viable option. My preference is that they close it and sell it. It's all moot, though, because they just revised the mission of the school in the last year with the backing of PASSHE. They probably have 3-5 years to demonstrate some kind of progress. Then the can gets kicked down the road a little further.
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 02-13-2019 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
    The facilities are so outdated would it be worth the financial risk for Delaware County Community College to risk taking it over? Granted it would give them access to fields to possibly assemble a JUCO football team which if ran properly can bring in extra revenue as they instantly would be able to join a conference with Lackawanna, VFMC, ASA College & the JV squads of Penn, Delaware Valley, Army & Navy.
    As a 2012 graduate of Delco, that might be a tough sell considering they've invested a lot of money in opening their STEM Center at the Marple campus a few years ago and I would say that the Cheyney campus needs a lot of work to say the least.

That said, if the Cheyney campus becomes a junior college (whether it's Delco or PASHEE running the show) and that campus sponsors an NCJAA-sanctioned football program, that would fill a gap in the college football landscape in the Northeast, since there aren't as many JUCO football programs as there are in the midwest and the south.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014