Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: OT: No Hot Water at Cheyney

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,341
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    69257

    Default OT: No Hot Water at Cheyney

    Trying to not kick an old dog while its down, but...

    https://6abc.com/education/cheney-un...-days/5122963/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    214
    Rep Power
    21206

    Default Re: OT: No Hot Water at Cheyney

    Time to shut the doors I can't see how any student would be willing to pay 20K at a university with ancient facilities let alone a dorm without hot water in the dead winter in Pennsylvania smh.

  3. #3

    Default Re: OT: No Hot Water at Cheyney

    I get it. They have a nice tradition and love the place and it is never easy to give up on something that is near and dear to the heart. But some times you just need to let go and realize the better days are never coming back. It is time to allow Cheyney to be adsorbed by another school that is in better shape and wants the Cheyney asset or even just let it go completely to never be heard from again if another school does not want to take Cheyney.

  4. #4

    Default Re: OT: No Hot Water at Cheyney

    The irony is that the institution has been in hot water since the '90's.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Power
    5065

    Default Re: OT: No Hot Water at Cheyney

    For goodness sake, keep all of the dead horses away from you guys too...Absolutely brutal...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    93,972
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Trying to not kick an old dog while its down, but...

    https://6abc.com/education/cheney-un...-days/5122963/

    Their dorms are old. I can’t imagine that any of them are full. They have to have a vacant one considering the drop in enrollment.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    93,972
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikefln View Post
    I get it. They have a nice tradition and love the place and it is never easy to give up on something that is near and dear to the heart. But some times you just need to let go and realize the better days are never coming back. It is time to allow Cheyney to be adsorbed by another school that is in better shape and wants the Cheyney asset or even just let it go completely to never be heard from again if another school does not want to take Cheyney.

    I’m thinking Delco should take it over.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    214
    Rep Power
    21206

    Default Re: OT: No Hot Water at Cheyney

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    I’m thinking Delco should take it over.
    The facilities are so outdated would it be worth the financial risk for Delaware County Community College to risk taking it over? Granted it would give them access to fields to possibly assemble a JUCO football team which if ran properly can bring in extra revenue as they instantly would be able to join a conference with Lackawanna, VFMC, ASA College & the JV squads of Penn, Delaware Valley, Army & Navy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,341
    Rep Power
    69257

    Default Re: OT: No Hot Water at Cheyney

    I think PASSHE should run it as a junior college like those in the southeast and southwest - residential traditional college experience. Unlimited credit transfer to PASSHE schools. Anyone else you're on your own. They could play football against Lackawanna, Erie, Monroe, etc. It basically is that right now. Take kids who show potential but aren't adequately prepared academically for undergraduate work. Some of them may need the geographical isolation that comes with attending Cheyney.

  10. #10

    Default Re: OT: No Hot Water at Cheyney

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I think PASSHE should run it as a junior college like those in the southeast and southwest - residential traditional college experience. Unlimited credit transfer to PASSHE schools. Anyone else you're on your own. They could play football against Lackawanna, Erie, Monroe, etc. It basically is that right now. Take kids who show potential but aren't adequately prepared academically for undergraduate work. Some of them may need the geographical isolation that comes with attending Cheyney.
    I think that's a viable option. My preference is that they close it and sell it. It's all moot, though, because they just revised the mission of the school in the last year with the backing of PASSHE. They probably have 3-5 years to demonstrate some kind of progress. Then the can gets kicked down the road a little further.
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 02-13-2019 at 12:15 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denton County, TX
    Posts
    10,796
    Rep Power
    167349

    Default Re: OT: No Hot Water at Cheyney

    Quote Originally Posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
    The facilities are so outdated would it be worth the financial risk for Delaware County Community College to risk taking it over? Granted it would give them access to fields to possibly assemble a JUCO football team which if ran properly can bring in extra revenue as they instantly would be able to join a conference with Lackawanna, VFMC, ASA College & the JV squads of Penn, Delaware Valley, Army & Navy.
    As a 2012 graduate of Delco, that might be a tough sell considering they've invested a lot of money in opening their STEM Center at the Marple campus a few years ago and I would say that the Cheyney campus needs a lot of work to say the least.

    That said, if the Cheyney campus becomes a junior college (whether it's Delco or PASHEE running the show) and that campus sponsors an NCJAA-sanctioned football program, that would fill a gap in the college football landscape in the Northeast, since there aren't as many JUCO football programs as there are in the midwest and the south.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •