Thread: MIAA Men's Postseason Tourney

Default MIAA Men's Postseason Tourney

Predictions as of 2/5 for this year’s Men’s MIAA Post-Season Tourney in Kansas City March 6-10.

Northwest Missouri, I think they run the table. But they can lose a couple of games and still take the crown and earn the #1 seed.

I think the 2, 3 and 4 seeds will go to Washburn, Southern and Lincoln in some order. I’m going to show my bias and state that Southern earns the #2 seed. I think they win out unless Cam Martin is more banged up than I know, but with only one more loss they finish at 14-5 in league play. Washburn and Lincoln set at 8-3 today and both still have Northwest on their schedules, and the two have a head-to-head meeting on 2/23 in Jefferson City. If Lincoln’s for real, they really have the best shot at second place right now, but I think they slip up a time or two when not expected.

Hays, Pitt State and Northeastern will do battle for seeds 5 and 6, with two of them earning a spot in tourney week’s Friday quarterfinal day in Kansas City. The other will get the 7 seed and have to win on Wednesday, just to advance to Thursday to play the #2 seed. Hays, currently at 7-4, has a pair of games left with each Pitt and Southern, plus the road swing through Oklahoma, and home games with Lincoln and Lindenwood. Frankly, I’m not sure they stay above .500 in league play. Pitt probably gets #5 or #6, as they have a pair of gunners who will light it up enough that lesser teams can’t outscore them. Northeastern has surprised most of us; they stand at 6-6 and have 5 of their remaining 7 games at home.

It’s a bit of a cluster from there, with the other 7 teams within 3 games or less of each other. Four of them won’t make the tourney, and right now it sure looks like Kearney and Central Oklahoma will be staying home when the regular season ends. Missouri Western could be in trouble, with 6 of their final 8 on the road including games at Lincoln, Lindenwood, Northwest Mo, and Washburn. They also have a pair of games against SBU and Central – it won’t be easy for them to sweep either one of those teams.

I’m going to predict these seeds:

1 Northwest

2 Missouri Southern

3 Washburn

4 Lincoln

5 Pitt State

6 Northeastern

7 Fort Hays

8 Lindenwood

9 Southwest Baptist

10 Emporia State

Out: Western, Central Missouri, Kearney and Central Oklahoma

Default Re: MIAA Men's Postseason Tourney

Just out of curiosity, Mr. Wizard how many MIAA wins will it take to make the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Mule4ever View Post
    Just out of curiosity, Mr. Wizard how many MIAA wins will it take to make the tournament.

Hopefully more than UCM will muster.

Adios coach.
    Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 02-05-2019 at 12:46 PM.

4. Default Re: MIAA Men's Postseason Tourney

Quote Originally Posted by Mule4ever View Post
    I'm thinking 7-12 gets a team in. But 6-13 puts you in a position of tiebreakers and some 6 win team will stay home.

Central's upcoming home game against Emporia could be huge. Win it and you edge them out. Lose it and the Hornets are right on your tail with a head to head tiebreaker edge.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post

It’s a bit of a cluster from there, with the other 7 teams within 3 games or less of each other. Four of them won’t make the tourney, and right now it sure looks like Kearney and Central Oklahoma will be staying home when the regular season ends. Missouri Western could be in trouble, with 6 of their final 8 on the road including games at Lincoln, Lindenwood, Northwest Mo, and Washburn. They also have a pair of games against SBU and Central – it won’t be easy for them to sweep either one of those teams.
    Four of the teams on the bubble (SBU, UCM, Lindenwood, and MWSU) pretty much control their own destinies: they all play each other. I like Missouri Western's chances to emerge from that pack. The Griffons and Lindenwood have one big advantage over SBU and UCM: they only have one game left with Northwest. It will be tough for Missouri Western to sweep SBU and UCM, but it will be tough for them to sweep the Griffons too, and with them presumably dropping two to Northwest a split would be a net gain for MWSU in the standings (if we go 2-2 in those two weeks, the other teams are likely going 1-3). I don't like the road-heavy schedule late, but Missouri Western has played a little better on the road than at home, so that may be less of a disadvantage. A win at Lindenwood Saturday would be big for the Griffs' chances.

Emporia State could make a move this week with games at UCM and SBU. They also have two games left against one of the teams below them in the standings (UCO).

6. Default Re: MIAA Men's Postseason Tourney

Western is playing pretty well. Lavon is Lavon, and as an opposing fan I respect him and like his demeanor.

If you can just keep #5 from shooting you guys out of games (or just have a better shot selection).

Love listening to Tom Smith do the color commentary. Great points to make and doesn't come across as very biased, even thiugh you know he wants the Griffons to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    Western is playing pretty well. Lavon is Lavon, and as an opposing fan I respect him and like his demeanor.

If you can just keep #5 from shooting you guys out of games (or just have a better shot selection).

Love listening to Tom Smith do the color commentary. Great points to make and doesn't come across as very biased, even thiugh you know he wants the Griffons to succeed.
    Tyus actually passed up a couple of shots in the first half against Pitt - I almost fell out of my seat. :)

Great break-down Mr Wizard. I think there are 3 teams that are fighting for #2 and I think Lincoln has the inside track cuz they have the easiest schedule of the three. I think MO Southern has the most difficult schedule left but they own the head to head with Washburn. I think Northeastern State could be in the hunt with Pitt State and Fort Hays for 5 and 6. It will be interesting to see if NWMS can run the table. I wouldn’t bet against them.

I think Pitt loses 3-5 more games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
    Hopefully more than UCM will muster.

Adios coach.
    I too want a new coach NO Surprise as I have been harping 2.5 years for change but I think the Mules make the tournament MIAA not the NCAA. And hope we get a new coach.

I think they make it if they play as hard as they did tonight against Washburn. They got after us defensively especially the 2nd half.