Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Announcement for Mercyhurst

Default Re: Big Announcement for Mercyhurst

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    I wonder what the baseball and softball teams think about those 100% turf baseball and softball fields (with no infield or base-path cut outs)
    I've gone back and forth on this. At times I wonder how they attract the caliber of baseball players that they do by having a home ballpark that's a turf soccer field. But then, I consider the home games we have moved in recent seasons from our ballpark (easily the best in the PSAC) to the turf park in Butler because of soggy field conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    I've gone back and forth on this. At times I wonder how they attract the caliber of baseball players that they do by having a home ballpark that's a turf soccer field. But then, I consider the home games we have moved in recent seasons from our ballpark (easily the best in the PSAC) to the turf park in Butler because of soggy field conditions.
    Baseball (and football) are meant to be played on the grass not artificial turf. But I understand the realities that these school face financially when they go the artificial route. The Rock does have a nice ball field. The Point is nice also tough to say.

Grass football fields are a pain in the neck to maintain. One thing for the Steelers. Quite a different one for small-time D2 schools.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Grass football fields are a pain in the neck to maintain. One thing for the Steelers. Quite a different one for small-time D2 schools.
    In the NSIC, there are 16 teams. Only two still have grass- Crookston and MSU-Mankato. Crookston's is no prize- it gets very beat up because Crookston HS also uses it. MSU on the other hand has an outstanding grounds crew that takes a lot of pride in doing a great job. And if there is a big dump of snow, the MSU wrestlers go help clean things off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefln View Post
    Baseball (and football) are meant to be played on the grass not artificial turf. But I understand the realities that these school face financially when they go the artificial route. The Rock does have a nice ball field. The Point is nice also tough to say.
    It is. We played the entire 4-game series against UPJ at the Point last spring.

I prefer baseball to be played on grass and dirt, but I would also like to see our team play all of their home games at Critchfield Park. It's a tough call.

It is. We played the entire 4-game series against UPJ at the Point last spring.

I prefer baseball to be played on grass and dirt, but I would also like to see our team play all of their home games at Critchfield Park. It's a tough call.
    It's tough. The early spring climate here just sucks for baseball.

It's tough. The early spring climate here just sucks for baseball.
    I totally get the practicality of it up north (or in a tight space situation). I think if it was turf but at least had dirt base paths cut, I’d probably be fine with it. I’m old school and overly-obcessing over the optics.

I think Erie gets snow in to July, too.

I totally get the practicality of it up north (or in a tight space situation). I think if it was turf but at least had dirt base paths cut, I’d probably be fine with it. I’m old school and overly-obcessing over the optics.
    Very few turf infields have any dirt. At all. Vanderbilt, for example, has a turf batters box and pitcher's mound. I'm not a fan of that. But they have to do what they have to do. What I hate to see on turf college baseball fields are giant logos (think midfield on a football field) in centerfield. Kansas State is one of the worst offenders of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Short story: Mercyhurst landed two gifts totaling $5 million that will help fund the transformation of athletics facilities. They're going to combine facilities with Mercyhurst Prep.

So not a 70 million dollar arena and conference center with an adjacent hotel like IUP.

I wonder what the baseball and softball teams think about those 100% turf baseball and softball fields (with no infield or base-path cut outs)
    I was wondering the same thing.

I think Erie gets snow in to July, too.
    hahahaha! truth!

Very few turf infields have any dirt. At all. Vanderbilt, for example, has a turf batters box and pitcher's mound. I'm not a fan of that. But they have to do what they have to do. What I hate to see on turf college baseball fields are giant logos (think midfield on a football field) in centerfield. Kansas State is one of the worst offenders of this.
    Yeah, since my original post, I looked up a few college fields and see that many are going this route. I hadn't realized that it was becoming so prevalent. It seems like it wasn't that many years ago that I turned on BTN and watched Penn State play a game at Indiana - it was the first time I'd ever seen a field like that used. I was shocked that a major university would have an entirely turf field (with orange colored turf where dirt should be). If I was the baseball coach at Mercyhurst, I think I'd inquire as to whether or not they can at least get the orange turf

Yeah, since my original post, I looked up a few college fields and see that many are going this route. I hadn't realized that it was becoming so prevalent. It seems like it wasn't that many years ago that I turned on BTN and watched Penn State play a game at Indiana - it was the first time I'd ever seen a field like that used. I was shocked that a major university would have an entirely turf field (with orange colored turf where dirt should be). If I was the baseball coach at Mercyhurst, I think I'd inquire as to whether or not they can at least get the orange turf
    What's it like trying to slide on that stuff? Does your body just stop? Seems like that could have leg and knee injuries galore?

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    I doubted that it was. Part of it was sarcasm, given the state of SR1 football, particularly in the NE-10. But, the way they were hyping this announcement made it seem like it was something more than it actually was.
    It's no arena but $5m isn't anything to sneeze at ... especially when it comes from a private donation.

What's it like trying to slide on that stuff? Does your body just stop? Seems like that could have leg and knee injuries galore?
    That was my first thought too. I'm guessing they must have figured it out, because a lot of schools are doing it. I lied - my first thought was "that looks stupid as hell", my second thought was "you are supposed to slide on that?".

That was my first thought too. I'm guessing they must have figured it out, because a lot of schools are doing it. I lied - my first thought was "that looks stupid as hell", my second thought was "you are supposed to slide on that?".
    I can remember the 'strawberries', etc., that came from sliding on dirt for a season. I can imagine what your knees look like after a season on turf.

I follow college baseball very closely and haven't heard many (if any) complaints about sliding on that stuff compared to dirt. Here's one thing I have noticed from watching a ton of games from February until late June (we're nine days from Opening Day in Division I, BTW). If it's rainy, that stuff gets really slick. I've seen guys slide into a base safely and just keep on going. Then they get tagged out.

I have also heard ground balls travel A LOT faster on the artificial surface fields.

I don't like the turf fields, but I understand why a lot of northern schools and smaller schools go that route. Vanderbilt on the other hand ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12