Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mars Hill's Future?

Contribute to D2

Default Tusculum's Future?

As we know, due to financial difficulties, Malone University just eliminated their football program.

With Mars Hill's enrollment continuing to decrease (down around 13% to 14% in the past few years) now at 1,277, could they be looking closely at cutting back on athletic programs, including dropping down to D3 or even worse, cutting out football completely? With a declining enrollment on the slide, and much needed tuition dollars and funding not coming in (a recent drop in millions of dollars), as with any school, unfortunately some changes, tough decisions, and possible cuts may need to be made very soon.

I wish them luck, and I hope they can quickly turn things around!
    Last edited by Eagle74; 02-10-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Default Re: Mars Hill's Future?

Well I was informed (thanks for the message!) that Mars Hill has a pretty decent endowment of around 50 million $$$ (far more than Tusculum and Newberry) and should weather the storm for a while. Still, some changes need to be made to turn around (or stop) their enrollment downward slide.

It was also brought to my attention (and I had no idea) that Tusculum's enrollment has dropped by a whopping 20% in the past 8 years, and based on their endowment, they are not in as good shape to weather potential pitfalls of declining tuition dollars and funding as many of the other SAC schools. So...best of luck Pioneers!!

3. Default Re: Mars Hill's Future?

I always find it interesting to see who donates the big $$$ to the small private colleges. I would bet Tusculum's rural setting, coupled with some outdated facilities has a lot to do with its decrease in enrollment, but you would think a college as old as them would have some strong alumni support to fix these issues, yet they have the lowest endowment out of all the SAC schools, including non-football.

4. Default Re: Mars Hill's Future?

Have you been to the Tusculum campus lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Rankin Hall View Post
    Have you been to the Tusculum campus lately?
    Actually yes, and the new Meen Center (originally planned when the enrollment was larger) looks great. Ironically, Malone University's campus and new construction is just, if not more, impressive. Add in the fact that Malone's Endowment is much larger than Tusculum's, and they had to drop their football program, and it reinforces the statement that they (Tusculum) really need to address their declining enrollment situation as soon as possible.

Check out the enrollments of these schools that somehow are a) still open and b) still have D2 football programs:

Urbana 417 students
    Lake Erie 723 students

Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    Check out the enrollments of these schools that somehow are a) still open and b) still have D2 football programs:

Urbana 417 students
    Lake Erie 723 students
    BL's classes are bigger than these schools enrollment. She should get a raise. It ain't fair!

After reading this I decided to call Coach Tim and get the real deal. Besides I wanted to see if we could get in some trout fishing come spring. I didn't get him. I don't know if he isn't taking my calls or was too busy counting his recruiting class. He got a good bunch, some from way off including two fellers from Hawaii. Kicka pooka maka wah wahini. I decided to call one of the assistant coaches who used to hang out at a bar I occasionally frequented in Asheville until Coach Tim reminded him he was working at a Baptist school. I didn't get him either but some girl answered the phone (he ain't married that I know of) I asked her if Mars Hill was panicking because of the drop in enrollment. She said "Naaaw, they've got new ones coming in all the time too late for the headcount. They got these recruiters going out to all the high schools rounding up the ones that read and write real good and can do math and art and singin'. They are giving scholarships to the genuine Cherokee native American students just for signing up. They still get a lot of the Baptist boys that want to learn preachin' too." I thanked her and said goodbye confident that Mars Hill University, a proud SAC member and home of the free and land of the brave will persevere and prosper. Good luck Coach Tim, let's wet a hook this spring.
    Da Bears

Quote Originally Posted by Ursidae View Post
    After reading this I decided to call Coach Tim and get the real deal. Besides I wanted to see if we could get in some trout fishing come spring. I didn't get him. I don't know if he isn't taking my calls or was too busy counting his recruiting class. He got a good bunch, some from way off including two fellers from Hawaii. Kicka pooka maka wah wahini. I decided to call one of the assistant coaches who used to hang out at a bar I occasionally frequented in Asheville until Coach Tim reminded him he was working at a Baptist school. I didn't get him either but some girl answered the phone (he ain't married that I know of) I asked her if Mars Hill was panicking because of the drop in enrollment. She said "Naaaw, they've got new ones coming in all the time too late for the headcount. They got these recruiters going out to all the high schools rounding up the ones that read and write real good and can do math and art and singin'. They are giving scholarships to the genuine Cherokee native American students just for signing up. They still get a lot of the Baptist boys that want to learn preachin' too." I thanked her and said goodbye confident that Mars Hill University, a proud SAC member and home of the free and land of the brave will persevere and prosper. Good luck Coach Tim, let's wet a hook this spring.
    Literally spit my drink out laughing so hard at this :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post

Urbana 417 students
    Lake Erie 723 students
    Lake Erie (enrollment 783) has an endowment nearly twice as large as Tusculum's, and Urbana's (UIUC) enrollment is a little over 1,600, and growing.

11. Default Re: Mars Hill's Future?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle74 View Post
    Lake Erie (enrollment 783) has an endowment nearly twice as large as Tusculum's, and Urbana's (UIUC) enrollment is a little over 1,600, and growing.
    Urbana College's enrollement is 392 according to this site( www.niche.com/colleges/urbana-university/) They do not list enrollement on the college site. I think you have listed the enrollement of University of Illinois at Urbana.

You're correct, Urbana University in Ohio has 416 students enrolled on a full time basis, and 1,207 attend part time. Urbana is a branch of Franklin University which has an endowment of 60 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Fernandez View Post
    Urbana College's enrollement is 392 according to this site( www.niche.com/colleges/urbana-university/) They do not list enrollement on the college site. I think you have listed the enrollement of University of Illinois at Urbana.
    Actually for Spring 2019, there are 31912 undergraduates at the flagship campus of University of Illinois (UIUC). Add 14344 grad students plus for a total of 982 professional students (probably med/law) for a total at that location of 47238, which is pretty typical for the Big 10...

http://www.dmi.illinois.edu/stuenr/class/enrsp19.htm

14. Default Re: Mars Hill's Future?

What is your concern for Tusculum? I have been informed by a Tusculum official that their spring enrollment is over 1000 on the Greeneville campus.
    Last edited by Rankin Hall; 02-12-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rankin Hall View Post
    What is your concern for Tusculum? I have been informed by a Tusculum official that their spring enrollment is over 1000 on the Greeneville campus.
    I was informed through a message that their enrollment has been declining (down 20% in 8 years), and when you combine that with a low endowment...........well it's not a good combination for long term stability. Hopefully things are changing, because losing 20% of annual tuition revenue can be difficult for any private institution.

But, did you know
    *That Tusculum maintains a small museum to honor the only former president elected to the US Senate?
    *That Tusculum is the oldest University in the Volunteer State?
    *That Tusculum is named after the home of Dr. John Witherspoon one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence
    *That the first African American to graduate from college in TN did so at Tusculum in 1806
    *That Tusculum's Niswonger Athletic Complex includes an indoor football practice field of over 44,450 square feet
    *That Maryleigh Adams, a Tusculum graduate, went to China as a Presbyterian missionary and later served as a UN Translator

Nope, never knew those tidbits of their history. I do know that they have a nice football stadium.

Just saw this, and things aren't sounding very good at all for this small private college: www.youtube.com/watch?v=H99GlebAJL4

Blog Entries

Good things are happening at Mars Hill. Construction on the new football field house is progressing and they landed a pretty decent looking recruiting class, including a transfer QB that could be a difference maker. They're program isn't going away any time soon.

Comments about Tusculum and outdated facilities are way off base, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bitner View Post
    Good things are happening at Mars Hill. Construction on the new football field house is progressing and they landed a pretty decent looking recruiting class, including a transfer QB that could be a difference maker. They're program isn't going away any time soon.

Comments about Tusculum and outdated facilities are way off base, in my opinion.
    I'm trying to find where anyone posted anything about Tusculum's outdated facilities. In fact, they have pretty impressive facilities.

The focus should be on declining enrollment and financial sustainability, and how to turn things around. I've seen some schools with great facilities / dorms etc that end up with half empty classes, and a lot of empty beds. These facilities need ongoing funding through enrollment tuition etc to simply maintain, it's simple financial economics.

For schools who are facing declining enrollments (some with rapid declines), they need to address these declines before it starts negatively effecting their capabilities of maintaining or keeping programs of all types.

Mars Hill (as brought to my attention) is in pretty good shape to weather and address their declines (which may be temporary) due to the fact that that they are in much better financial shape than other private institutions. I agree (based on their present financial situation) they're football program shouldn't be going away any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle74 View Post

Mars Hill (as brought to my attention) is in pretty good shape to weather and address their declines (which may be temporary) due to the fact that that they are in much better financial shape than other private institutions. I agree (based on their present financial situation) they're football program shouldn't be going away any time soon.
    Very true. Mars Hill is in better shape (financially) than some of the schools within their own league, including C-N.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast