Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mars Hill's Future?

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Mars Hill's Future?

Private universities or colleges rely heavily on a healthy endowment to help ensure and sustain the capability to maintain the institutions financial stability, along with opportunities for potential future growth.

Endowments represent money or other financial assets that are donated to private universities or colleges and are meant to be invested to grow the principal and provide additional income for future investing and expenditures. Most endowments have guidelines stating how much of each year's investment income can be spent. For many private colleges, this amount is about 5% of the endowment's total asset value."

Lenoir Rhyne Endowment = 106 million

Wingate = 90 million

Catawba = 55 million

Mars Hill Endowment = 50 million

Carson Newman Endowment = 49 million

Newberry = Endowment = 23 million

Limestone = 17 million

Tusculum Endowment = 15.7 million

I'm noticing some (mostly larger) schools have Athletics Endowments in addition to University-wide endowments.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/At...ments-vs/47396

I heard from a fellow alum and athletics donor that Tusculum is supposed to be receiving a huge donation at dinner Wednesday.

Here's a question...does what a school have in its endowment a necessarily fair way of evaluating the financial health of a college or university? You can have a decent endowment and the schools still have quite a bit in debt.

I don't fully understand all the mumbo jumbo when it comes to all that so I'd be interested to hear what folks think.

On a side note, the new kid on the block UVA-Wise being a state supported school, and falling under the UVA umbrella, is not as dependent on their tuition dollars or endowment to maintain financial stability. New construction, programs, etc are basically funded annually by the state of VA. So their football program should be around for a long time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12