Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Softball

Contribute to D2

Default OT: Softball

Today I had the pleasure of watching the Lady Buffs play in the Houston area for the first time. Shayne Starkey added to her legacy by picking up a save in the first game and a complete game win in the second, which was much closer. She hit .571 today with a slugging percentage of 1.0, including a devastating double in the second game that led to 3 runs. She pitched 10 innings for the day and mowed the opposition down in the last couple of innings of the last game. Not a bad afternoon.

Also successful was Coveney who hit .667 and a 1.667 slugging percentage. It was great to see Cruz return from a year off and hit .500. The rest of the team added some timely hits and walks but didn't do well with their batting averages. There's work to be done, but it's nice to start 2-0. Also impressive are the new uniforms, maroon tops and white pants - something we haven't seen in a long time.

There were several other LSC teams in town today. How did you guys do?

Default Re: OT: Softball

Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    Today I had the pleasure of watching the Lady Buffs play in the Houston area for the first time. Shayne Starkey added to her legacy by picking up a save in the first game and a complete game win in the second, which was much closer. She hit .571 today with a slugging percentage of 1.0, including a devastating double in the second game that led to 3 runs. She pitched 10 innings for the day and mowed the opposition down in the last couple of innings of the last game. Not a bad afternoon.

Also successful was Coveney who hit .667 and a 1.667 slugging percentage. It was great to see Cruz return from a year off and hit .500. The rest of the team added some timely hits and walks but didn't do well with their batting averages. There's work to be done, but it's nice to start 2-0. Also impressive are the new uniforms, maroon tops and white pants - something we haven't seen in a long time.

It was a fun day & great start of the season. Offense, as you said will need some work but will improve. Defensively, I was very pleased for the day with the exception of one "freshman" mistake in diving for a ball in left field - other than that they were top notch behind some very good pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by ras619 View Post
    It was a fun day & great start of the season. Offense, as you said will need some work but will improve. Defensively, I was very pleased for the day with the exception of one "freshman" mistake in diving for a ball in left field - other than that they were top notch behind some very good pitching.
    You are right! No errors, and a 100% fielding average.

Not in Houston, but the Belles beat #15 Palm Beach Atlantic 10-3 today in Florida. They will play Florida Tech (of which I am an alum (MBA 1986)) tomorrow.

Ram baseball won its opener today in San Angelo over Mines 14-1.

Commerce got 2 good wins, including over 20 ranked host team. How is WT not ranked in the coaches poll? Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    Commerce got 2 good wins, including over 20 ranked host team. How is WT not ranked in the coaches poll? Unreal.
    You got to earn it. I hope the softball team will be pretty good. We lost AA Hardin. Pitching? Too early to tell if WT will be a 30 game winner or a 40 plus game team. This is Abrams' team now, not Blaskowskis's. The verdict's still out.

How did freshman pitcher Lair look in the first game? She was way overused last year at CHS. Her high school coach, selfishly, did Lair no favors. I wonder if she's still got the same steam she showed as a junior and the first part of her senior year. She looked tired and worn down coming down the stretch last season.

Kingsville and Cameron both picked up 2 wins yesterday too. Tarleton split theirs. LSC is going to be a beast of a conference this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    You got to earn it. I hope the softball team will be pretty good. We lost AA Hardin. Pitching? Too early to tell if WT will be a 30 game winner or a 40 plus game team. This is Abrams' team now, not Blaskowskis's. The verdict's still out.
    What happened with Hardin??
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Quote Originally Posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
    What happened with Hardin??
    Graduated

Got it - I was thinking she had another year.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Dang....already moving on from WBB??? Lol.

Pops I thought I cured you of your LOL addiction. Here's a helping thought: 7O7.

The Lady Buffs dropped their last 3 games in Houston, which I missed because I'm travelling. Each loss was by 1 run.

Pitching has taken a turn for the worse with the team ERA being over 5. Also a couple of 3rd year starters aren't hitting. The biggest bright spot is Mel Huggins who is leading the team in batting average and OB percentage, which is really good for a freshman.

We could use another Rita or Hannah and another Jessica Sipe!

After following ASU online this past weekend, it appears as though we are going to have to outscore people once we get into conference play. Our pitchers threw relatively well this weekend, but we do not have a Brandy, Kennedy, or even a Morgan. Since I started following the program in 2005, this is the weakest (on paper) pitching staff we have had. We had a stud high school girl who had committed to play for us as a sophomore or maybe a junior. She made the trip to Virginia with her parents on their own dime to witness the world series. She was going to come in be the day 1 starter in the circle. However, after 3 days on campus she got home sick, withdrew, and isn't playing anywhere. Also, had a stud JUCO pitcher who lead the country in strikeouts last year that was not eligible to transfer. So to say we are thin and inexperienced in the circle is definitely an understatement. However, our offense should be extremely dangerous with Barnhill returning at 100% after and injury took most of her season last year, Rocha, and the preseason POY in Taegan Kirk. We had several newcomers come in and start from day 1 who are going to be counted on, which is always scary but I believe this team figures it out in time.

I don't think we are a World Series caliber team as we don't have the pitching yet, but we definitely could be a team to play in the regional tournament and once you get there, there is no telling what can happen.

We've got 6 homes games this weekend against what most would call subpar competition so we should be able to get some quality innings and at bats for some folks.

Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    After following ASU online this past weekend, it appears as though we are going to have to outscore people once we get into conference play. Our pitchers threw relatively well this weekend, but we do not have a Brandy, Kennedy, or even a Morgan. Since I started following the program in 2005, this is the weakest (on paper) pitching staff we have had. We had a stud high school girl who had committed to play for us as a sophomore or maybe a junior. She made the trip to Virginia with her parents on their own dime to witness the world series. She was going to come in be the day 1 starter in the circle. However, after 3 days on campus she got home sick, withdrew, and isn't playing anywhere. Also, had a stud JUCO pitcher who lead the country in strikeouts last year that was not eligible to transfer. So to say we are thin and inexperienced in the circle is definitely an understatement. However, our offense should be extremely dangerous with Barnhill returning at 100% after and injury took most of her season last year, Rocha, and the preseason POY in Taegan Kirk. We had several newcomers come in and start from day 1 who are going to be counted on, which is always scary but I believe this team figures it out in time.

I don't think we are a World Series caliber team as we don't have the pitching yet, but we definitely could be a team to play in the regional tournament and once you get there, there is no telling what can happen.

We've got 6 homes games this weekend against what most would call subpar competition so we should be able to get some quality innings and at bats for some folks.
    You could be describing WT. Looks like Commerce will be the team tho beat.

I'm not sold on Abrams at WT. If WT finishes 3rd or 4th this year and wins maybe 30..........that's not acceptable. Period. I hope our AD is already compiling a short list. I believe he should have opened it up. Abrams' should have been interim all year. Then a search for a new coach. My opinion only.

Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post

I was very surprised ASU didn't do better last year in the series. Maybe the rest of the league has passed up our conference? WT did not do well in our last appearance either.

Commerce had a good weekend, going 5-1 in what was a very good field of teams. Our #1 pitcher Emily Otto had 3 good outings going the distance in all 3 with an era of .88. Our 2 & 3 both had rough starts in their first game but were able to limit the damage. We have a freshman at #4 right now who went about 6 innings in relief allowing just 3 hits and no runs. She may move up quickly.
    Offense struggled at times, but we got homers from 5 or 6 different players, and multiple homers from 3 of them. It was good to see Kimber Neal back at third after missing most of last season. She hit over .600 for the 6 games.

Should be a good season ahead.

The Arkansas Tech comeback over WT was a great season opening confidence boost. It came after two extra-inning one-run losses the night before against UCO and Cameron. The second of those two games didn't finish until nearly 1:00CT in the morning.

I agree that the field included some of the top teams from the Central and South Central Regions. Kingsville was the only team to not suffer a loss and Colorado Mines was the only winless team.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    You could be describing WT. Looks like Commerce will be the team tho beat.

I'm not sold on Abrams at WT. If WT finishes 3rd or 4th this year and wins maybe 30..........that's not acceptable. Period. I hope our AD is already compiling a short list. I believe he should have opened it up. Abrams' should have been interim all year. Then a search for a new coach. My opinion only.
    With McBroom's track record with VB Abrams probably has a longer leash than that. I am thinking maybe two years of not being in the regional tournament. We both know it takes a lot of talent and some breaks to win a NC.

Quote Originally Posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
    With McBroom's track record with VB Abrams probably has a longer leash than that. I am thinking maybe two years of not being in the regional tournament. We both know it takes a lot of talent and some breaks to win a NC.
    I'm not going to sit silently as a fan watching WT SB sink into mediocrity and say nothing. Going down is a bunch of bullsh!t IMO. If I'm AD I'd fire the WT SB coach for anything less than not being in the LSC championship game and winning the sub-regional NCAA. WT has the facilities, the coaches pay, resources, and the history to command excellence. Anything less is unacceptable. As a HC, if you can't recruit players that accomplish that, and coach them to that level.......hit the road, Jack. That may be tough, but that's the job.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast