Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 442

Thread: OT: Softball

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,872
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    435120

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by lantana View Post
    Saw the Hogetts play in Conroe, something big time brewing down there in the Ville... 7 and 0 on season as of last night, and playing about 2/3 frosh and sophs...

    Coach Nicholson appears to know what he is doing....

    lantana
    Yes, they did great in a really tough field. Trying to juggle my schedule right now to get down there for the Commerce series on weekend of March 1. If I make the trip, where should I stay? Might have to bring the dog.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    6,091
    Rep Power
    520026

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by lantana View Post
    Saw the Hogetts play in Conroe, something big time brewing down there in the Ville... 7 and 0 on season as of last night, and playing about 2/3 frosh and sophs...

    Coach Nicholson appears to know what he is doing....

    lantana
    Yep. They're now 10-0 and off to the best start ever. It's still too early to tell how they'll do against the better teams in our conference, but I will say that even toward the end of last year's season it appeared they started showing signs of being a really scrappy team and seemed to give everyone a tough game. Coach Nicholson has done a really good job in just his 2nd year at Hog Nation.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    65140

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    ASU went 4-0 (2 games pending today) against below average competition. They scored 49 runs in 4 games capped off by a 19-0 perfect game against Adams St.
    I've said it before, the offense is going to have to carry this team because the pitching staff doesn't have the shut down ace we've had in prior years. Still should be a regional qualifier but the pitching will determine the level of success that they reach. We are getting quality production up and down the line up with 2 freshman and new to the team sophomore making sizable contributions early. I think a big surprise (at least for me) is the offensive output of Mykayla Stroud. She is hitting .500 with a .917 slugging while leading the team in home runs, RBI's, hits, and total bases. A pleasant surprise from a year ago when she was known more for her defense.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    WT's season is off to a rocky start, especially pitching. However we do have some good freshmen to brag on. Salzman and especially Huggins are doing really well. Huggins has become a hitting machine, which is good because a couple of starting juniors are having slow seasons. http://www.lonestarconference.org/st...ball&year=2019

    Hopefully the pitching will get back on track and some more newbies will rise to the occasion. The team only has 18 players this year and less than half are hitters.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Old School---WTSU
    Posts
    6,130
    Rep Power
    17487

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    WT's season is off to a rocky start, especially pitching. However we do have some good freshmen to brag on. Salzman and especially Huggins are doing really well. Huggins has become a hitting machine, which is good because a couple of starting juniors are having slow seasons. http://www.lonestarconference.org/st...ball&year=2019

    Hopefully the pitching will get back on track and some more newbies will rise to the occasion. The team only has 18 players this year and less than half are hitters.
    Why the low roster numbers?

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,739
    Rep Power
    658219

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    WT's season is off to a rocky start, especially pitching. However we do have some good freshmen to brag on. Salzman and especially Huggins are doing really well. Huggins has become a hitting machine, which is good because a couple of starting juniors are having slow seasons. http://www.lonestarconference.org/st...ball&year=2019

    Hopefully the pitching will get back on track and some more newbies will rise to the occasion. The team only has 18 players this year and less than half are hitters.
    No pitching. I fear a mediocre 28-17 type season, 4th place in the LSC. Hope I'm wrong.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
    Why the low roster numbers?
    We lost a couple of pretty good bats but the reasons for them leaving were known long ago, and not the coach's fault. So why weren't they replaced? I wish I knew.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,321
    Rep Power
    186880

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by '89HOG View Post
    Yep. They're now 10-0 and off to the best start ever. It's still too early to tell how they'll do against the better teams in our conference, but I will say that even toward the end of last year's season it appeared they started showing signs of being a really scrappy team and seemed to give everyone a tough game. Coach Nicholson has done a really good job in just his 2nd year at Hog Nation.
    I hope like Gonzales with the baseball program, he's here for the longer term. Seems like the last few coaches who had success with the softball program were quickly gobbled up elsewhere.

  9. Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    I hope like Gonzales with the baseball program, he's here for the longer term. Seems like the last few coaches who had success with the softball program were quickly gobbled up elsewhere.
    We haven't had a really good softball coach since Brady. I think we do now.

    Looking at the lineup, there are two seniors starting, 3 or 4 sophs, and 3 or 4 frosh. Pitching is 2 juniors, 1 frosh and another frosh who will get some time on the mound as well. Recruiting class for next year is already signed, though there could always be another addition or tow.
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

  10. #50
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wild Horse Desert
    Posts
    1,624
    Rep Power
    5677

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Hoggies sweep doubleheader from A&M - International. Record improves to 12 and 0!

    I realize that conference hasn't started but it's hard not to be excited about this season and the next 3 years.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,212
    Rep Power
    55747

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by Javelina Alum View Post
    Hoggies sweep doubleheader from A&M - International. Record improves to 12 and 0!

    I realize that conference hasn't started but it's hard not to be excited about this season and the next 3 years.
    Wow!

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,872
    Rep Power
    435120

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Commerce just finished off a good week. Run rule wins in 3 of the 5 with 4 grand slams by 3 different players during the week. This weekend swept msu by scores of 4-0, 12-0, and 9-0. Emily Otto moved to 7-0 on the season with a 3 hitter in the first game and a no hitter in the 3rd game. Her era is now below 0.060 on the season with something like 40 strikeouts and 6 walks. Her sophomore season, and the ball makes a noticeably different sound this season when it hits the glove. Cant wait to watch her continue to develop, she is going to be a great one.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    WT had a great series against WNM. They set a record for homeruns and most of the bench got to participate. Huggins continues her amazing freshman season.

    The next 8 days will be a good barometer of how good the team is. They are heading for Angelo then going up against LCU midweek.

    We need better pitching!

  14. #54

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    WT had a great series against WNM. They set a record for homeruns and most of the bench got to participate. Huggins continues her amazing freshman season.

    The next 8 days will be a good barometer of how good the team is. They are heading for Angelo then going up against LCU midweek.

    We need better pitching!
    Not that I am a softball follower, but I would bet a lot of teams have a great weekend against Western New Mexico. Just Saying. Sweep the ASU team over the wknd and then you had a great wknd.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    65140

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    WT had a great series against WNM. They set a record for homeruns and most of the bench got to participate. Huggins continues her amazing freshman season.

    The next 8 days will be a good barometer of how good the team is. They are heading for Angelo then going up against LCU midweek.

    We need better pitching!
    It should be a good weekend this coming weekend. I foresee a lot of runs being scored by both teams. Neither team has the shutdown ace that they have had in the past, but both of young pitchers who have performed well thus far in the season.
    Don't think I will make it out there this weekend, hopefully we will be dismissed from the hospital after the birth of our son, so I don't see many spring games in my immediate future.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Not that I am a softball follower, but I would bet a lot of teams have a great weekend against Western New Mexico.
    I agree.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,342
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    It should be a good weekend this coming weekend. I foresee a lot of runs being scored by both teams. Neither team has the shutdown ace that they have had in the past, but both of young pitchers who have performed well thus far in the season.
    Don't think I will make it out there this weekend, hopefully we will be dismissed from the hospital after the birth of our son, so I don't see many spring games in my immediate future.
    I'm hoping we will score a lot of runs.

    Congratulations on the birth of your son!

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,739
    Rep Power
    658219

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    It should be a good weekend this coming weekend. I foresee a lot of runs being scored by both teams. Neither team has the shutdown ace that they have had in the past, but both of young pitchers who have performed well thus far in the season.
    Don't think I will make it out there this weekend, hopefully we will be dismissed from the hospital after the birth of our son, so I don't see many spring games in my immediate future.
    Congrats on the new boy! Be forewarned, your social, entertainment, and Ram game life will be very minimized for the next few years. But, it passes.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    65140

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Congrats on the new boy! Be forewarned, your social, entertainment, and Ram game life will be very minimized for the next few years. But, it passes.
    This is #2 and while we did have to take a little hiatus with the first one, there is nothing big sister likes more than to go to the Ram Games....raise them up in the way they should go and they will not depart from it when they are older...obviously taking that scripture completely out of context!

  20. Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Congrats on the new boy! Be forewarned, your social, entertainment, and Ram game life will be very minimized for the next few years. But, it passes.
    I have a 4 year old, and that hasn’t been my experience. There are some challenges, especially initially, such as bad weather games or diaper changes in a stadium. For example, mine was 6 months old at Ferris State when the second half turned into a snowstorm; the wife was nice enough to get him out of the cold without making me leave.

    However, it has been a huge bonding experience for us, and at this point we go without mom. We were both in Duluth this year in the cold (and shade!), and he has photos with the same group of cheerleaders from all 4 years at road playoff games. He has even sat with some of the football players at basketball and softball games, and tells me that I have to sit elsewhere to not embarrass him.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •