Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Softball

Contribute to D2

Default Re: OT: Softball

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I'm not going to sit silently as a fan watching WT SB sink into mediocrity and say nothing. Going down is a bunch of bullsh!t IMO. If I'm AD I'd fire the WT SB coach for anything less than not being in the LSC championship game and winning the sub-regional NCAA. WT has the facilities, the coaches pay, resources, and the history to command excellence. Anything less is unacceptable. As a HC, if you can't recruit players that accomplish that, and coach them to that level.......hit the road, Jack. That may be tough, but that's the job.
    I don't disagree - just don't think that's what will happen.

I'm not going to sit silently as a fan watching WT SB sink into mediocrity and say nothing. Going down is a bunch of bullsh!t IMO. If I'm AD I'd fire the WT SB coach for anything less than not being in the LSC championship game and winning the sub-regional NCAA. WT has the facilities, the coaches pay, resources, and the history to command excellence. Anything less is unacceptable. As a HC, if you can't recruit players that accomplish that, and coach them to that level.......hit the road, Jack. That may be tough, but that's the job.
    I think that's a bit harsh. Unless this year is sub .500 I think she deserves another year. I think she's better than Nesbitt was, and he only had consistent success against OPSU, Mcmurry, and Kingsville when they were down. Plus he got a pass for Spanishgate. Candace won 40 games last year. Unlike Nesbitt she didn't get the team a week before the season started.. I think the team needs to be more aggressive and recruiting needs to improve. It looks like several of the newbies will make an impact, maybe more will step up. It's early.

Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    Pops I thought I cured you of your LOL addiction. Here's a helping thought: 7O7.

The Lady Buffs dropped their last 3 games in Houston, which I missed because I'm travelling. Each loss was by 1 run.

Pitching has taken a turn for the worse with the team ERA being over 5. Also a couple of 3rd year starters aren't hitting. The biggest bright spot is Mel Huggins who is leading the team in batting average and OB percentage, which is really good for a freshman.

We could use another Rita or Hannah and another Jessica Sipe!
    I love it! 707!

I was very surprised ASU didn't do better last year in the series. Maybe the rest of the league has passed up our conference? WT did not do well in our last appearance either.
    I know you guys know this, but when you get to the world series, if a team has one hot hand in the circle, the chances of them hoisting the trophy goes up significantly. But I was also shocked that our offense that had been scoring 7+ runs/game didn't have but like 7 hits total the entire time we were there.
    I know you would like to win it once you get there, but getting there is a prize in and of its self that should be applauded. I do think this league is missing the girl in the circle that will consistently go and strike out 12 batters per game. Even we WT won it, I don't believe yall had that girl. Two years ago we had her, but she wasn't 100% when she got there. When we won ours in 2004, we had that girl.
    I think that is what some of the other teams who have won it recently have had. The girl from two years ago at Mankato is now pitching for the US national team. I would put a decent amount of money that she could have gone and played at any school in the country and been a weekend starter, at any level.

Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    I know you guys know this, but when you get to the world series, if a team has one hot hand in the circle, the chances of them hoisting the trophy goes up significantly. But I was also shocked that our offense that had been scoring 7+ runs/game didn't have but like 7 hits total the entire time we were there.
    I know you would like to win it once you get there, but getting there is a prize in and of its self that should be applauded. I do think this league is missing the girl in the circle that will consistently go and strike out 12 batters per game. Even we WT won it, I don't believe yall had that girl. Two years ago we had her, but she wasn't 100% when she got there. When we won ours in 2004, we had that girl.
    I think that is what some of the other teams who have won it recently have had. The girl from two years ago at Mankato is now pitching for the US national team. I would put a decent amount of money that she could have gone and played at any school in the country and been a weekend starter, at any level.
    When we won it, we did have that girl--Rita Hokianga. Although not as impressive as the US National Team, I think she still plays for the New Zealand National Team.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
    When we won it, we did have that girl--Rita Hokianga. Although not as impressive as the US National Team, I think she still plays for the New Zealand National Team.
    That is what it takes to win big when you get there. A well rounded team with a couple of studs can get you there, but if you don't have an absolute shut down ace who isn't going to give up back to back hits throughout the tournament, chances are you aren't winning the whole thing. Part of the love/hate relationship I have with softball. While it is a team sport and you have to have everyone perform well to get there, you can have a team who doesn't field the ball well who can win a title because they have a freaking stud in the circle. I think it was North Georgia last year, how many games did the win 1-0 or 2-1? More than half, if I remember correctly. Makes you wonder how they would do if they had to come to a conference like ours where there are legit 3-4 teams sometimes more than can win a conference championship.

I think that's a bit harsh. Unless this year is sub .500 I think she deserves another year. I think she's better than Nesbitt was, and he only had consistent success against OPSU, Mcmurry, and Kingsville when they were down. Plus he got a pass for Spanishgate. Candace won 40 games last year. Unlike Nesbitt she didn't get the team a week before the season started.. I think the team needs to be more aggressive and recruiting needs to improve. It looks like several of the newbies will make an impact, maybe more will step up. It's early.

To be fair and accurate, Abrams’ record should be compared to Blaskowski’s, not Nesbit. What does Nesbit have to do with SB?

That is what it takes to win big when you get there. A well rounded team with a couple of studs can get you there, but if you don't have an absolute shut down ace who isn't going to give up back to back hits throughout the tournament, chances are you aren't winning the whole thing. Part of the love/hate relationship I have with softball. While it is a team sport and you have to have everyone perform well to get there, you can have a team who doesn't field the ball well who can win a title because they have a freaking stud in the circle. I think it was North Georgia last year, how many games did the win 1-0 or 2-1? More than half, if I remember correctly. Makes you wonder how they would do if they had to come to a conference like ours where there are legit 3-4 teams sometimes more than can win a conference championship.
    Rita was the girl, she was amazing through the series but we also had Hannah and Tori who were both excellent pitchers. Rita was at a JC and asked to play at WT.
    Look at the batting averages too, and they all went down somewhat due to the great pitching in the series.
    https://static.gobuffsgo.com/customp...s/teamcume.htm

To be fair and accurate, Abrams’ record should be compared to Blaskowski’s, not Nesbit. What does Nesbit have to do with SB?
    Nothing to do with softball but he was given a more than fair trial to produce. Candace deserves a comparable trial.

I agree with you about Coley. Ask Laker about her.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Coley Ries was amazing. She almost had her career ended by an arm injury. They shut her down, she did all the rehab work, and came back to dominate. Could she have played for the Gophers? Probably. She was that once in a lifetime gal- she had the arm, the brains and the heart to do it. And she was a standout in tennis and basketball too.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    Coley Ries was amazing. She almost had her career ended by an arm injury. They shut her down, she did all the rehab work, and came back to dominate. Could she have played for the Gophers? Probably. She was that once in a lifetime gal- she had the arm, the brains and the heart to do it. And she was a standout in tennis and basketball too.

She's a whole lot prettier without her headgear!

Nothing to do with softball but he was given a more than fair trial to produce. Candace deserves a comparable trial.
    Explain to me why a pass should be given if the WT SB program spirals downward? I'm not saying it will, despite a poor 3-3 start. But, if it does, I won't be making or accepting excuses for the HC. She was the asst coach for Blaskowski and now HC for a year, supposedly in charge of recruiting. Abrams has had ample forewarning and time to recruit needs. It's not like the mess Hughes was handed. SB shouldn't miss a beat. If it does.........it's the HC who's responsible.

It will be a damn shame to see WT SB languish. I hope it doesn't.

Explain to me why a pass should be given if the WT SB program spirals downward? I'm not saying it will, despite a poor 3-3 start. But, if it does, I won't be making or accepting excuses for the HC. She was the asst coach for Blaskowski and now HC for a year, supposedly in charge of recruiting. Abrams has had ample forewarning and time to recruit needs. It's not like the mess Hughes was handed. SB shouldn't miss a beat. If it does.........it's the HC who's responsible.

I agree with you. As a family member of a recent WT SB player, I am concerned, like you, about the state of the WT SB team. They shouldn't be taking a step backwards.
    Last edited by ASUPops; 02-05-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Obviously I don't want to see the team go downhill either. I just think 2 years is too short of a time to evaluate Candace barring a major collapse this year.

I think the competition at this tournament was tougher than previous opening tournaments.

I do agree Hughes was handed a mess.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

She's a whole lot prettier without her headgear!
    She is. And every time I have talked to her she shows a great personality.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    She is. And every time I have talked to her she shows a great personality.
    Trust me - I'm a big fan!

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    I agree with you. As a family member of a recent WT SB player, I am concerned, like you, about the state of the WT SB team. They shouldn't be taking a step backwards.
    Man how did you let family go to WT? I thought you were better than that! 707, hahah

Saw the Hogetts play in Conroe, something big time brewing down there in the Ville... 7 and 0 on season as of last night, and playing about 2/3 frosh and sophs...

Coach Nicholson appears to know what he is doing....

lantana

Image didn't post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast