Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 373

Thread: OT: Softball

  1. #221
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wild Horse Desert
    Posts
    1,624
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    5677

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    Yea hope you caught us this year...
    But couldn't agree more with your sentiment. And next year it is only going to get worse when you add in the folks from the Heartland. This conference is brutal.
    Yup, next year's Regionals IN ALL sports will have 1 RMAC team and the rest LSC.

  2. #222
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,573
    Rep Power
    55140

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Didn't realize that Commerce won yesterday 3-0 while only getting 1 hit.
    The Commerce/Tarleton game right now is an absolute gem (if you like pitching) 2 hits combined between the two.

  3. #223
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,605
    Rep Power
    640472

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Kingsville can't seem to find a way to stream the WT/Kingsville game. No video. No stats. Penny-ante BS on Kingsville's part. It worked okay yesterday. Did they not even check it out pre-game? I hear WT is ahead 3-0. 4th inning?

  4. #224
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,857
    Rep Power
    435119

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    Didn't realize that Commerce won yesterday 3-0 while only getting 1 hit.
    The Commerce/Tarleton game right now is an absolute gem (if you like pitching) 2 hits combined between the two.
    Commerce got the 2-0 win on a 2 strike, 2 out walkoff homerun in the bottom of the 7th from our freshman catcher. What a great game. Each team only had 2 hits.

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,247
    Rep Power
    73361

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Kingsville can't seem to find a way to stream the WT/Kingsville game. No video. No stats. Penny-ante BS on Kingsville's part. It worked okay yesterday. Did they not even check it out pre-game? I hear WT is ahead 3-0. 4th inning?
    Down 7-3 in top of 6th

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,605
    Rep Power
    640472

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    Down 7-3 in top of 6th

    Yeah. I quit following the stats after Kingsville batted in the 6th. Abrams just doesn't have the pitching.

  7. #227

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    And Tarleton falls to Cameron 5-7

  8. #228
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,280
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    WT is playing OK Christian now. No video again.

    https://javelinaathletics.com/sidear...l/play-by-play

  9. #229
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wild Horse Desert
    Posts
    1,624
    Rep Power
    5677

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    WT is playing OK Christian now. No video again.

    https://javelinaathletics.com/sidear...l/play-by-play
    No video on the Baseball side of the house either! Buffalo Chip, tell then to get it together up in Canyon!!!

  10. #230
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wild Horse Desert
    Posts
    1,624
    Rep Power
    5677

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    NO STATS. PENNY-ANTE BS ON WT's part!

  11. #231
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,247
    Rep Power
    73361

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by Javelina Alum View Post
    NO STATS. PENNY-ANTE BS ON WT's part!
    Rain delay

  12. #232
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,138
    Rep Power
    53967

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by Javelina Alum View Post
    No video on the Baseball side of the house either! Buffalo Chip, tell then to get it together up in Canyon!!!
    Ummmmm, Canyon dropped the ball in a MAJOR way as a host both soiftball and baseball. I guess too much pressure???

  13. #233
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,857
    Rep Power
    435119

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Ummmmm, Canyon dropped the ball in a MAJOR way as a host both soiftball and baseball. I guess too much pressure???
    Nah, we close the deal in Commerce. Pressure will bust a weak pipe though.

  14. #234
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,280
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Oklahoma Christian ends WT's season, 7-5. Lair fell apart in the 4th inning, hitting 2 batters and giving up 5 runs.

    It's a shame a little bad weather eliminates the video coverage. I know we are D2, but a kid with a cell phone would have been a better option today.

  15. #235
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,605
    Rep Power
    640472

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    32-15 for the Lady Buffs is a very poor year. Expectations for the program which won the national championship in 2014 are much higher than the results it achieved this year or last year. WT loses Moore and Starkey. Hmmm. I wonder if Abrams has the program on the right track. Some of her coaching decisions or non-decisions this season were real head-scratchers.

    The question is how much confidence the AD has in the future of Lady Buff softball with Abrams at the helm. Unless Abrams goes out and recruits a real stud in the circle (or two), I wouldn't expect any better next season, maybe worse with the loss of Starkey. Is mediocrity, compared to previous WT seasons, the new standard for WT softball? Look at what the new guy at Kingsville did virtually overnight. I wonder what kind of coach WT could find with a national search. What WT offers in facilities, salaries, staff, and tradition should make it one of the best jobs in all of D2. Is a change called for? Does Abrams get one more year to return WT softball to the heights is enjoyed for 8 or 9 years? Decisions like that are why the AD gets the big bucks.

    If I were the AD I'd be closely looking at my options.

  16. #236
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,280
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    32-15 for the Lady Buffs is a very poor year. Expectations for the program which won the national championship in 2014 are much higher than the results it achieved this year or last year. WT loses Moore and Starkey. Hmmm. I wonder if Abrams has the program on the right track. Some of her coaching decisions or non-decisions this season were real head-scratchers.

    The question is how much confidence the AD has in the future of Lady Buff softball with Abrams at the helm. Unless Abrams goes out and recruits a real stud in the circle (or two), I wouldn't expect any better next season, maybe worse with the loss of Starkey. Is mediocrity, compared to previous WT seasons, the new standard for WT softball? Look at what the new guy at Kingsville did virtually overnight. I wonder what kind of coach WT could find with a national search. What WT offers in facilities, salaries, staff, and tradition should make it one of the best jobs in all of D2. Is a change called for? Does Abrams get one more year to return WT softball to the heights is enjoyed for 8 or 9 years? Decisions like that are why the AD gets the big bucks.

    If I were the AD I'd be closely looking at my options.
    It's very unlikely they will fire someone that won almost 70% of her games this season. However, unless the pitchers you mention are found, as well as some good hitters, I don't see the team winning more than half of their games next year.

    I looked over the batting averages of the starters, and except for Moore, they were all lower than last year. McBroom and Cordell started the season with long slumps. Starkey's ERA was a lot higher than the year before. Transfer Vessels is pretty good at 2nd base, but hits under .200. Most of the bench players need to be released - I was stunned that some of them were invited back this year.

    We lost a lot of good players last year. Van Gurp was our leading hitter, Hardin, Smith, and Mclemore all had good averages. We got 2 new good freshman, Salzman and Huggins, but the latter was on the bench half time while others with MUCH worse stats played regularly. Pitchers were left in too long after faltering, like both games yesterday. Coveneny had proven effective from the circle, but was almost never used.

    Now we lose Starkey, my favorite player, Moore, and Coveney. So, all we need next year are MANY better players who can make good grades, and better coaching. I hope the coaching staff will review their decisions during the off season and learn from them.

  17. #237
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,605
    Rep Power
    640472

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    It's very unlikely they will fire someone that won almost 70% of her games this season. However, unless the pitchers you mention are found, as well as some good hitters, I don't see the team winning more than half of their games next year.

    I looked over the batting averages of the starters, and except for Moore, they were all lower than last year. McBroom and Cordell started the season with long slumps. Starkey's ERA was a lot higher than the year before. Transfer Vessels is pretty good at 2nd base, but hits under .200. Most of the bench players need to be released - I was stunned that some of them were invited back this year.

    We lost a lot of good players last year. Van Gurp was our leading hitter, Hardin, Smith, and Mclemore all had good averages. We got 2 new good freshman, Salzman and Huggins, but the latter was on the bench half time while others with MUCH worse stats played regularly. Pitchers were left in too long after faltering, like both games yesterday. Coveneny had proven effective from the circle, but was almost never used.

    Now we lose Starkey, my favorite player, Moore, and Coveney. So, all we need next year are MANY better players who can make good grades, and better coaching. I hope the coaching staff will review their decisions during the off season and learn from them.
    You outlined the season and where softball is at quite well. Just because Abrams won 70% of her games, so what? Is that the new benchmark for Lady Buff softball? I'd say anything less than 80% in the win column is unacceptable at WT. More like 85% minimum. There should be NO excuses for the drop off.

    She's had two seasons after taking over a national powerhouse. I just don't see the spark. The grit. The confidence. Personally, I see decline without hope for future improvement that will return the program back to the heights it knew. How long will WT softball be allowed to wander in the wilderness?

    That's a vote of "no confidence" from this fan. I think WT can do better.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 05-11-2019 at 07:21 PM.

  18. #238
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,280
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I just don't see the spark. The grit. The confidence. Personally, I see decline without hope for future improvement that will return the program back to the heights it knew.
    We agree on this much. The Eye of the Tiger has been closed for a while.

  19. #239
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,857
    Rep Power
    435119

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Cameron came out raking in game 1 today and won 13-9.

  20. #240
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,280
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: OT: Softball

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    Cameron came out raking in game 1 today and won 13-9.
    Wow, I am not sure what you mean about "raking" but I see Cameron also took the second game 6-5.

    Cameron is a scary team. In our championship year we led them 8-0. They won 9-8. Who did they defeat? Rita Hokianga, Hannah Newcomb, and Tori Bayer, three of our best pitchers ever. I believe they got all 9 runs in the final inning.

    Great season for Commerce!

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •