Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Malone Drops Football -Immediately

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)
    Contribute to D2

Default Re: Malone Drops Football -Immediately

Quote Originally Posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    A couple of more schools drop football and all of a sudden we're the GNAC.
    Come on back.

Quote Originally Posted by cwfenn View Post
    Wow, is the school doing OK? Cheyney has more students and they're barely hanging on.

It's always hard when a school drops a sport. I had a hard time following my alma mater's (New Haven) athletic programs back when they dropped the sport in 2003 (they brought it back in 2009). Hopefully the university can bring the sport back.
    I can't speak for Lake Erie, but I seem to recall that Urbana was getting by thanks in part to online programs. Then again, I might be misunderstanding the situation out there...
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    I can't speak for Lake Erie, but I seem to recall that Urbana was getting by thanks in part to online programs. Then again, I might be misunderstanding the situation out there...
    They were bought by Franklin University. Urbana had big time money and accreditation problems before the buy-out. Franklin infused much needed $ into the campus and switched Urbana's accredidation to its own. Urbana is now considered a division of Franklin (which does specialize in non-traditional and online programs).

I won't be surprised if the Urbana Blue Knights someday become the Franklin Blue Knights - Similar to how the PhillyU Rams are now the Jefferson Rams.
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 02-04-2019 at 08:47 AM.

4. Default Re: Malone Drops Football -Immediately

Posted in the other conference thread:

New prediction for 2020-21 (football)

1) Ashland
    2) UIndy
    3) Hillsdale
    4) Findlay
    5) Tiffin
    6) ODU
    7) NDC
    8) Walsh

KyWes independent D2 and plays mostly NAIA schedule
    LEC- Logistics for going D3?

Quote Originally Posted by OhioD2 View Post
    Posted in the other conference thread:

New prediction for 2020-21 (football)

1) Ashland
    2) UIndy
    3) Hillsdale
    4) Findlay
    5) Tiffin
    6) ODU
    7) NDC
    8) Walsh

KyWes independent D2 and plays mostly NAIA schedule
    LEC- Logistics for going D3?
    What would the incentive be for Ashland to join the GMAC when other teams' fans are already lamenting joining?

And for that matter, why would Indianapolis leave the GLVC for a conference other then the GLIAC?

6. Default Re: Malone Drops Football -Immediately

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    What would the incentive be for Ashland to join the GMAC when other teams' fans are already lamenting joining?

And for that matter, why would Indianapolis leave the GLVC for a conference other then the GLIAC?
    Travel cost. Playing other similar private institutions. Playing in region 1 playoff quarter. Playing in the same conference as Hillsdale and Findlay.

I think UIndy would not join without Ashland. Not sure about other way around.

I don't think that Malone dropping football (but remaining for all other sports) hurts the chances of Ashland eventually joining the G-MAC.

8. Default Re: Malone Drops Football -Immediately

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

You can't force any school to join a league and, at this point, Ashland and Indy have little reason to leave their current conferences. That being said, the G-MAC needs to add a couple of football schools very soon. There are, at least, a couple of schools that will be looking to their future whether the G-MAC does or not.

Thought this would be a cover story on http://www.d2football.com/ but nothing since December 21 there.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    Thought this would be a cover story on http://www.d2football.com/ but nothing since December 21 there.
    Obvious computer error on our part. If you click on news you can see all we have posted since then.

Will fix ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    Agree, football is always the target then they make up the math to justify the decision. I'm a little surprised that Lake Erie hasn't done the same thing.
    I remember when LEC started football. It was a way of getting males to enrole at what was at that time was a small largely female college. Dropping football would be a 180 degree shift.

Small colleges have been adding football to increase enrollment (and paid tuition) for years now. It seems to be accepted math at this point. St. Leo just announce 2 weeks ago that they are exploring adding football "to help boost enrollment". That's what makes Malone's move a little curious. I'm having a hard time believing that they are actually going to save $1M. I'm wondering if the teams chronic lack of success is the bigger issue.

Mansfield dropped football after a winless season in 2006. Immediate hit to make enrollment. They've been playing sprint football since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    Mansfield dropped football after a winless season in 2006. Immediate hit to make enrollment. They've been playing sprint football since 2008.
    Curiosity ... do they handle Sprint 'game day' like an actual football game (sell tickets, concessions, etc.?) or is it more like glorified intramural ball?

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Curiosity ... do they handle Sprint 'game day' like an actual football game (sell tickets, concessions, etc.?) or is it more like glorified intramural ball?
    The only difference is the maximum weight of the players.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    Sad day.

Also, this clearly bucks the trend where small schools are adding/maintaining football as an enrollment and tuition driver. In the press release, Malone states that dropping football will eliminate expenses of approximately $1 million annually. They don't say how much tuition/income they will lose. Per Dept of Education, Malone has 116 football players, which is approximately 10% of the school's 1135 full-time undergraduates.
    If the football team is accounting for 10 percent of your enrollment, you're in deep dookie.

I hadn't paid any attention to any of this and then saw a big hole in Hillsdale's schedule today.
    Hillsdale ‘94

18. Default Re: Malone Drops Football -Immediately

Quote Originally Posted by chargerblue View Post
    I hadn't paid any attention to any of this and then saw a big hole in Hillsdale's schedule today.
    SURPRISE!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12