Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: College Endowment list

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,733
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    16406

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    95,851
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    IUP leading the way in the PSAC like we always do...

    Where did Bloomsburg get that money so fast? Ship was second last list I saw....

  3. #3

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    IUP leading the way in the PSAC like we always do...

    Where did Bloomsburg get that money so fast? Ship was second last list I saw....
    All it takes is on guy, same at IUP - a $ 23 million gift with a total endowment of 66 million. Show just how small some of these endowments are. https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...kopchicks.html

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    95,851
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    All it takes is on guy, same at IUP - a $ 23 million gift with a total endowment of 66 million. Show just how small some of these endowments are. https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...kopchicks.html

    Kopchicks, Kovalchicks.

    That will be confusing on campus.

  5. #5

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    Kopchicks, Kovalchicks.

    That will be confusing on campus.
    If only the latter would clean up that dump across from the KCAC. Just sayin'

  6. #6

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    All it takes is on guy, same at IUP - a $ 23 million gift with a total endowment of 66 million. Show just how small some of these endowments are. https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...kopchicks.html
    Of course, that $23 mil goes into the science facility not the endowment.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    95,851
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    If only the latter would clean up that dump across from the KCAC. Just sayin'
    Do they even use the property for anything? I noticed that there is still scrap under all the growth.

  8. #8

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    IUP leading the way in the PSAC like we always do...

    Where did Bloomsburg get that money so fast? Ship was second last list I saw....
    IUP's $66 million is a little disappointing. In fact, I think they must have had to cut into it at some point. I think it has fallen short of expectations. We should be in the $100 million club by now. If I had $35 million lying around I would give it to IUP..

  9. #9

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Of course, that $23 mil goes into the science facility not the endowment.
    Its a mixed bag, probably about half goes to the endowment for scholarships, and other funding. IUP should be over 100 million, but there was a big learning curve with the foundation once the state rules changed a few years back. IUP does really well with Alumni coming back to help in non monetary ways though.

  10. #10

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    Do they even use the property for anything? I noticed that there is still scrap under all the growth.
    No. Look at it on Google Earth. It goes back like 4-5 blocks. ... Full of junk from the 1920s.

  11. #11

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    Its a mixed bag, probably about half goes to the endowment for scholarships, and other funding. IUP should be over 100 million, but there was a big learning curve with the foundation once the state rules changed a few years back. IUP does really well with Alumni coming back to help in non monetary ways though.
    Can you explain that in more detail?

  12. #12

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    ts a mixed bag, probably about half goes to the endowment for scholarships, and other funding. IUP should be over 100 million, but there was a big learning curve with the foundation once the state rules changed a few years back. IUP does really well with Alumni coming back to help in non monetary ways though.
    Can you explain that in more detail?

    Originally, the state did not allow university employees, other than the president and a few people in Student affairs, to be involved in fund raising, it was all done through the foundation, and there were rules about how to ask for money. about 7 or 8 years ago, the rules changed, so that Deans, Chairs, and others in leadership positions are involved as well as more Alumni. Before, people would approach faculty about donations, get referred to the foundation, and hit a wall. The first few years of the new policy left alot of people getting in each others way, but that is sorted out I think, and the new president has a good handle on it. Huge fundraising effort for the science building for instance.

  13. #13

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    ts a mixed bag, probably about half goes to the endowment for scholarships, and other funding. IUP should be over 100 million, but there was a big learning curve with the foundation once the state rules changed a few years back. IUP does really well with Alumni coming back to help in non monetary ways though.
    Can you explain that in more detail?

    Originally, the state did not allow university employees, other than the president and a few people in Student affairs, to be involved in fund raising, it was all done through the foundation, and there were rules about how to ask for money. about 7 or 8 years ago, the rules changed, so that Deans, Chairs, and others in leadership positions are involved as well as more Alumni. Before, people would approach faculty about donations, get referred to the foundation, and hit a wall. The first few years of the new policy left alot of people getting in each others way, but that is sorted out I think, and the new president has a good handle on it. Huge fundraising effort for the science building for instance.
    What about those a-holes who call my cell phone 275 nights a year? Who do they work for?

  14. #14

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    I thought it was in the $60 mil range years ago. Or higher.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,419
    Rep Power
    70141

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    What about those a-holes who call my cell phone 275 nights a year? Who do they work for?
    Pro Tip: Give them $10 the first time they call and they stop calling.

  16. #16

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Pro Tip: Give them $10 the first time they call and they stop calling.
    I don't answer. They are consistent I'll give them that much. I give once a year to football and men's basketball.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,419
    Rep Power
    70141

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I thought it was in the $60 mil range years ago. Or higher.
    Yes. According to the actual study cited in the article, IUP's endowments total $67.4 million.

    Remember, endowments are just an investment account and they live off the interest accrued. Popular opinion (usually from the cynical perspective in the media) is that they're rainy day funds or savings accounts.

  18. #18

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I thought it was in the $60 mil range years ago. Or higher.
    it was. I don't know the details, but the foundation has added a managment fee to the funds - so each year they take some money out, and when the investments do bad, it decreases even faster now. The dorms have also cost them money, with the declining enrollment, but I don't know exactly how that is figured in with the endowments, if at all.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,419
    Rep Power
    70141

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I don't answer. They are consistent I'll give them that much. I give once a year to football and men's basketball.
    It depends on what they're using for the list to call you. A lot of schools still use paper lists probably printed in August. If you donate after your info is printed then they'll never know. The automated systems that would pull you out once you make a gift are pretty pricey as you can imagine. Hard to justify when a) people don't give over the phone like they used to and b) that money could easily be used for something else

  20. #20

    Default Re: College Endowment list

    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    it was. I don't know the details, but the foundation has added a managment fee to the funds - so each year they take some money out, and when the investments do bad, it decreases even faster now. The dorms have also cost them money, with the declining enrollment, but I don't know exactly how that is figured in with the endowments, if at all.
    I'm no expert. I was hoping you or FS82 could fill in the blanks. What I believe, though, is that there is a difference between private school endowments and what IUP has because it is associated with the "Foundation for IUP."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •