Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy T Update

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Jimmy T Update

Great article on Jimmy. Wish him success trying to revive that program..

They have some issues at that program. I don’t see much changing there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually expect them to get better fairly quick with a young new coach who is popular in the area.

Not that they anyway to go but up.

The only bad thing about him being the head coach will be the constant squealing towards him from the ESU fanboys.

5. Default Re: Jimmy T Update

Quote Originally Posted by MC1313 View Post

Please explain what these issues are.

At least give the guy a chance to run the program as he sees fit. Very rarely can culture change overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    Please explain what these issues are.
    let their record and stats speak for themselves. They beat Seton Hill and Clarion last year and they were lucky to beat (SH) after trailing late in the game. Check their stats and rankings in Defense last 2 years they have been one of the lowest in D2
    What changes are they going to make?

let their record and stats speak for themselves. They beat Seton Hill and Clarion last year and they were lucky to beat (SH) after trailing late in the game. Check their stats and rankings in Defense last 2 years they have been one of the lowest in D2

You make it sound like they should just drop the program. Once you hit rock bottom ... only one way left to go.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    You make it sound like they should just drop the program. Once you hit rock bottom ... only one way left to go.

I said they have issues and I didn’t see much changing.
    New coach had a chance to make staff changes and didn’t. So that’s why I said I didnt see much changing. Did anybody pick them to finish in last place in their division last year? Probably not. They had 137 players if I am not mistaken come into camp last year and That’s more then other teams had to work with.
    Maybe with him taking full control this year could make a difference time will tell.

10. Default Re: Jimmy T Update

Those are not issues. Those are statistics. When you make a comment saying there are issues at the program, you are insinuating lack of control, lack of funding, athletes constantly getting arrested, or whatever else in those realms. ESU has NONE of that.

They were not good the last couple of years. Their statistics are not going to be great. They are in a lull, but like fightingscot said give the guy a chance. He necessarily doesn’t have to change a complete culture. Will he put his own logo into that program? Sure. But Denny didn’t let the prisoners run the asylum. Denny had control. Jimmy has control.

He’s going to be getting more money pumped into that program, and from what I hear the president loves him. Give him a couple of recruiting classes before casting judgement.

But like I said earlier; you named statistics. Because a team is beat the bottom of the league in defense doesn’t mean there are “issues” at the program. The campus has done a facelift, top notch dormitories, state of the art science building, and rumors of new athletic facilities. It has a pulse, and regardless of wins/loses it is a program I would recommend to any young student athlete.

11. Default Re: Jimmy T Update

New coach had a chance to make staff changes and didn’t. So that’s why I said I didnt see much changing. Did anybody pick them to finish in last place in their division last year? Probably not. They had 137 players if I am not mistaken come into camp last year and That’s more then other teams had to work with.
    Maybe with him taking full control this year could make a difference time will tell.

It doesn’t matter if they had 137 players or 400. They still only had about 10 scholarships. They need to increase their funding.

It doesn’t matter if they had 137 players or 400. They still only had about 10 scholarships. They need to increase their funding.
    They also need to remove the 'interim' tag as soon as possible...

Why the hell is he still interim?

14. Default Re: Jimmy T Update

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Why the hell is he still interim?
    Not sure. That is a good question 82.

You're not entirely wrong. As structured currently, ESU's ceiling is probably something like 6-5. Which, while a vast improvement from the dreck we saw last season, is not necessarily something to crow about. I do expect the team to improve incrementally under Jimmy, and I don't think we'll see them go winless in the East again next year or the year after. But he's certainly got his work cut out for him on the defensive side of the ball, and institutional issues will continue to put a cap on how good this team can be at its best. But for now, some level of optimism is warranted.

16. Default Re: Jimmy T Update

He's known Douds for literally his entire life. His success will be greatly affected by how loyal he is to what is probably a third grandfather to him

Default Jimmy T Update

Quote Originally Posted by EastStroud13 View Post
    You're not entirely wrong. As structured currently, ESU's ceiling is probably something like 6-5. Which, while a vast improvement from the dreck we saw last season, is not necessarily something to crow about. I do expect the team to improve incrementally under Jimmy, and I don't think we'll see them go winless in the East again next year or the year after. But he's certainly got his work cut out for him on the defensive side of the ball, and institutional issues will continue to put a cap on how good this team can be at its best. But for now, some level of optimism is warranted.

I agree the offense will generate more success this year. And for that I say they they win 4 games tops (and that’s if they win 3 of the first four games). They can’t stop the run and if you look at (yards after contact) they had very poor tackling. So I think defense will hold them back.

Last edited by MC1313; 01-30-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Scholarship funding shouldn't hinder ESU from challenging in the East. None of WCU, Ship, Kutztown or Bloomsburg have over 10 scholarships they just target hidden gems and get the most out of their players. If they can settle in on a QB before summer camp begins, and straighten out their defense I think they can at least be competitive and win 4-6 games in his first season. Ship's first season after Coach Reese retired saw drastic changes to the offensive scheme and we came away with a 7-4 season

Not sure. That is a good question 82.
    Many factors are contributing to the current situation...It will happen, not on our timetable, but it will happen...

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorVoice View Post
    Many factors are contributing to the current situation...It will happen, not on our timetable, but it will happen...
    I grew up with a lot of people telling me that IUP was moving up to D1 but there were "many factors contributing" to the delay and "it will happen". "Penn State by 78" "Penn State by 88"

These schools need to get out of their own way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast