Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    4,679
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    12500

    Default In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    What is the worst call that has gone against your team?

    What is the worst call that has benefited your team?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    3,907
    Rep Power
    223205

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    Open season on Zebras? This should be interesting.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    440
    Rep Power
    142614

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    What is the worst call that has gone against your team?

    What is the worst call that has benefited your team?
    Easier to recall the bad ones!

    Here’s one everybody saw: 4th quarter National Championship game. OBVIOUS defensive pass interference inside the Ferris 5 yard line, ref threw the flag then picked it up after another ref from across the field ran over and talked to him.

    Drive ended on the next play, Ferris then scored but missed the 2 pointer to tie. Had the penalty stood, the game was over without the final minute’s drama.

    Off-hand I can’t recall anything as dramatic the other way, but I am sure VSU opponents can remember calls that benefitted the Blazers!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    3,907
    Rep Power
    223205

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    2014 Playoff game at Duluth: This late flag for holding negated Zimmerman's TD run.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,356
    Rep Power
    177110

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Omaha, NE Area
    Posts
    43,563
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    12500

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    The 2009 GV vs NW NC game where GV scores a TD with the play clock being at zero for several seconds, or the strip fumble on a td earlier where the persons movement had been stopped for several seconds, or the phantom PI call on the person who intercepted the ball with no one around him. That game had several bad ones.

    Best one that went for NW has to be the one where Mel went on the field against MSU and got the refs to change the call... "Do it for the kids.." It was borderline either or, still never seen a ref change their mind due to a coach and pick up a flag they threw.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holland, MI
    Posts
    2,761
    Rep Power
    101090

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    Pass the popcorn Ricky!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    613
    Rep Power
    62933

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    Quote Originally Posted by champgymusa View Post
    Pass the popcorn Ricky!
    Absolutely, JR is there enough capacity to handle this thread?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    8,608
    Rep Power
    234338

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    ‘08 NWMSU vs UMD in Florence....NW appeared to recover onside kick(I was on front row and play was right in front of me).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,937
    Blog Entries
    58
    Rep Power
    482546

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    Quote Originally Posted by JR Chaney View Post
    The 2009 GV vs NW NC game where GV scores a TD with the play clock being at zero for several seconds, or the strip fumble on a td earlier where the persons movement had been stopped for several seconds, or the phantom PI call on the person who intercepted the ball with no one around him. That game had several bad ones.

    Best one that went for NW has to be the one where Mel went on the field against MSU and got the refs to change the call... "Do it for the kids.." It was borderline either or, still never seen a ref change their mind due to a coach and pick up a flag they threw.
    It was the correct call...it was a forward pass. The jet sweep and all.....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    21,893
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    It was the correct call...it was a forward pass. The jet sweep and all.....

    It was the correct call, but in those pre-replay days for them to overturn how the play was called initially was a pretty big upset.

  12. #12

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    It was the correct call, but in those pre-replay days for them to overturn how the play was called initially was a pretty big upset.
    Before they did, I would have said it was an impossibility.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    21,893
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Before they did, I would have said it was an impossibility.

    “This is not the fumble you’re looking for.” Obi-Wan Ketjeerdsma

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,937
    Blog Entries
    58
    Rep Power
    482546

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    It was the correct call, but in those pre-replay days for them to overturn how the play was called initially was a pretty big upset.
    True!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18,854
    Rep Power
    519001

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    Any call against Pitt was a bad one. Any call for them was reasonable and correct.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14,132
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    It was the correct call, but in those pre-replay days for them to overturn how the play was called initially was a pretty big upset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Before they did, I would have said it was an impossibility.
    A good crew will do this in cases, such as the one detailed, warrant reviewing it. I have seen this happen on several occasions, or even when the crew gets together to discuss.

    There are many workings that an officiating crew goes through that the fans have no knowledge or understanding of. I know that many of you think I am an apologist; not at all. It is a difficult job that is further made difficult by many.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    90 miles outside Wildcat Country
    Posts
    18,053
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    A good crew will do this in cases, such as the one detailed, warrant reviewing it. I have seen this happen on several occasions, or even when the crew gets together to discuss.

    There are many workings that an officiating crew goes through that the fans have no knowledge or understanding of. I know that many of you think I am an apologist; not at all. It is a difficult job that is further made difficult by many.
    How often have we heard "There is no flag for intentional grounding, there was a receiver in the area" or "the quarterback was out of the pocket". Another, "there was no pass interference as the ball was uncatchable". I'd say it isn't as uncommon as we like to think.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    21,893
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    A good crew will do this in cases, such as the one detailed, warrant reviewing it. I have seen this happen on several occasions, or even when the crew gets together to discuss.

    There are many workings that an officiating crew goes through that the fans have no knowledge or understanding of. I know that many of you think I am an apologist; not at all. It is a difficult job that is further made difficult by many.
    Usually though it seems the consultation takes place before a call is made. I’m not criticizing the officials at all - they got the call right. It was just an unusual situation in my experience.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14,132
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    Usually though it seems the consultation takes place before a call is made. I’m not criticizing the officials at all - they got the call right. It was just an unusual situation in my experience.
    I remember when the "jet sweep" first showed up in the HS ranks. You had one side screaming "it was a fumble!" and the other side screaming "forward pass!". We had an officiating clinic at the start of the season where this was brought up. Along with several fellow officials, I attend the Montana Coaches Clinic each year, and the RPO was in one of the sessions, along with the jet sweep play. We went through this (there wasn't any video of specific instances where the play occurred with the incomplete pass), so when it first happens, it looks odd, and your first notion is fumble.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    21,893
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    I remember when the "jet sweep" first showed up in the HS ranks. You had one side screaming "it was a fumble!" and the other side screaming "forward pass!". We had an officiating clinic at the start of the season where this was brought up. Along with several fellow officials, I attend the Montana Coaches Clinic each year, and the RPO was in one of the sessions, along with the jet sweep play. We went through this (there wasn't any video of specific instances where the play occurred with the incomplete pass), so when it first happens, it looks odd, and your first notion is fumble.
    I know Mel T. invented football in 1994, but I didn't know he invented the shovel pass too. :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •