Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

Contribute to D2

Default In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

What is the worst call that has gone against your team?

What is the worst call that has benefited your team?

Default Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

Open season on Zebras? This should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    What is the worst call that has gone against your team?

What is the worst call that has benefited your team?
    Easier to recall the bad ones!

Here’s one everybody saw: 4th quarter National Championship game. OBVIOUS defensive pass interference inside the Ferris 5 yard line, ref threw the flag then picked it up after another ref from across the field ran over and talked to him.

Drive ended on the next play, Ferris then scored but missed the 2 pointer to tie. Had the penalty stood, the game was over without the final minute’s drama.

Off-hand I can’t recall anything as dramatic the other way, but I am sure VSU opponents can remember calls that benefitted the Blazers!

2014 Playoff game at Duluth: This late flag for holding negated Zimmerman's TD run.

Blog Entries

The 2009 GV vs NW NC game where GV scores a TD with the play clock being at zero for several seconds, or the strip fumble on a td earlier where the persons movement had been stopped for several seconds, or the phantom PI call on the person who intercepted the ball with no one around him. That game had several bad ones.

Best one that went for NW has to be the one where Mel went on the field against MSU and got the refs to change the call... "Do it for the kids.." It was borderline either or, still never seen a ref change their mind due to a coach and pick up a flag they threw.

Pass the popcorn Ricky!

Quote Originally Posted by champgymusa View Post
    Pass the popcorn Ricky!
    Absolutely, JR is there enough capacity to handle this thread?

‘08 NWMSU vs UMD in Florence....NW appeared to recover onside kick(I was on front row and play was right in front of me).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JR Chaney View Post
    The 2009 GV vs NW NC game where GV scores a TD with the play clock being at zero for several seconds, or the strip fumble on a td earlier where the persons movement had been stopped for several seconds, or the phantom PI call on the person who intercepted the ball with no one around him. That game had several bad ones.

Best one that went for NW has to be the one where Mel went on the field against MSU and got the refs to change the call... "Do it for the kids.." It was borderline either or, still never seen a ref change their mind due to a coach and pick up a flag they threw.
    It was the correct call...it was a forward pass. The jet sweep and all.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    It was the correct call...it was a forward pass. The jet sweep and all.....

It was the correct call, but in those pre-replay days for them to overturn how the play was called initially was a pretty big upset.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    It was the correct call, but in those pre-replay days for them to overturn how the play was called initially was a pretty big upset.
    Before they did, I would have said it was an impossibility.

“This is not the fumble you’re looking for.” Obi-Wan Ketjeerdsma

Blog Entries

True!

Any call against Pitt was a bad one. Any call for them was reasonable and correct.

A good crew will do this in cases, such as the one detailed, warrant reviewing it. I have seen this happen on several occasions, or even when the crew gets together to discuss.

There are many workings that an officiating crew goes through that the fans have no knowledge or understanding of. I know that many of you think I am an apologist; not at all. It is a difficult job that is further made difficult by many.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    A good crew will do this in cases, such as the one detailed, warrant reviewing it. I have seen this happen on several occasions, or even when the crew gets together to discuss.

There are many workings that an officiating crew goes through that the fans have no knowledge or understanding of. I know that many of you think I am an apologist; not at all. It is a difficult job that is further made difficult by many.
    How often have we heard "There is no flag for intentional grounding, there was a receiver in the area" or "the quarterback was out of the pocket". Another, "there was no pass interference as the ball was uncatchable". I'd say it isn't as uncommon as we like to think.

Usually though it seems the consultation takes place before a call is made. I’m not criticizing the officials at all - they got the call right. It was just an unusual situation in my experience.

Usually though it seems the consultation takes place before a call is made. I’m not criticizing the officials at all - they got the call right. It was just an unusual situation in my experience.
    I remember when the "jet sweep" first showed up in the HS ranks. You had one side screaming "it was a fumble!" and the other side screaming "forward pass!". We had an officiating clinic at the start of the season where this was brought up. Along with several fellow officials, I attend the Montana Coaches Clinic each year, and the RPO was in one of the sessions, along with the jet sweep play. We went through this (there wasn't any video of specific instances where the play occurred with the incomplete pass), so when it first happens, it looks odd, and your first notion is fumble.

I remember when the "jet sweep" first showed up in the HS ranks. You had one side screaming "it was a fumble!" and the other side screaming "forward pass!". We had an officiating clinic at the start of the season where this was brought up. Along with several fellow officials, I attend the Montana Coaches Clinic each year, and the RPO was in one of the sessions, along with the jet sweep play. We went through this (there wasn't any video of specific instances where the play occurred with the incomplete pass), so when it first happens, it looks odd, and your first notion is fumble.
    I know Mel T. invented football in 1994, but I didn't know he invented the shovel pass too. :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast