Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NSIC Week 6 Chat

Default Re: NSIC Week 6 Chat

Crookston heaves and airball three for the tie with 1.1 to go, Bo called for a terrible call of a foul on the rebound. Crookston hits 1st. TO. Crookston with one more FT and down two.

Fox gets his tenth board to cap it off. Survival city tonight.

Mary headed to a 3rd overtime in Duluth, rest easy Simple. Line has moved to St. Cloud -23.5

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Why was he on the court in the 1st half? We in foul trouble? Sickness?
    No idea. Things were going pretty well with Northern up 10 when he came in and then Crookston quickly goy it back to 5 and it was a fight the rest of the night. Good thing Bo played well tonight because no one else did.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    No idea. Things were going pretty well with Northern up 10 when he came in and then Crookston quickly goy it back to 5 and it was a fight the rest of the night. Good thing Bo played well tonight because no one else did.
    Probably just saw a chance to get him some reps. Itd be nice to have one more body off the bench but I dont see it with him which is too bad. Tough to ask someone who rarely plays to come in and play well. If they were going to give him experience it should have come earlier in the season.

What an ugly game. Why does it seem like every NSU game against Crookston seems like it is being drug through the mud, in every sport. Both teams were in the bonus with 11:38 left in the game. I think Crookston made a mistake starting to hold the ball with 2 1/2 minutes left. But 1on 1 is pretty much their entire offense so it’s probably not much different. Northern did a solid job on Cleary giving up 25 pts on 22 shots. Bo Fries almost single handedly saved the game for the Wolves. The team defense won the game at the end. Glad this one is over, hopefully tomorrow is better

Probably just saw a chance to get him some reps. Itd be nice to have one more body off the bench but I dont see it with him which is too bad. Tough to ask someone who rarely plays to come in and play well. If they were going to give him experience it should have come earlier in the season.
    Roko must be deep in the doghouse for some reason

Mentioned it on twitter, but it's becoming obvious SMSU is really missing the seniors from last year's team, especially Kirk inside. I knew it probably wasn't going to be as good as the last two years, but man its hard to see.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Final score:
    USF 74
    MSU 46

Mavs shoot 14-62 from the field for 22%. If you only make 14 shots in THE WHOLE F*CKING GAME, you will beat nobody. MSU should be embarrassed beyond belief with their performance tonight. Time to put it behind them and take it out on the ponies tomorrow night.
    My first Mav basketball game was from back in the 1973-74 season if I recall correctly vs North Dakota. Tonight had to be the worst I've ever seen them play, especially considering that they are a pretty good team and they were playing at home. It was awful. Highlights of the night:

Getting a USF pin delivered by the Cougar's outstanding play by play announcer Tom Frederick. Yes, I have caps from all 16 NSIC teams but pins from only half those teams.

Talking to MSU's wrestling coach Jim Makovsky and his lovely wife Dawn during the second half. Jim is at all the Mav contests and shows great support. I also visited with former Mav football standout Phil Driscoll and HIS lovely wife Vicki, also another great supported of Mav athletics.

Giving notice to the Augieholics, between games I visited with Heather Johnson from the 2009 national championship team. She and her teammates will be honored next Saturday. She looks like she could still light up the scoreboard and I bet that she can still back cupcakes to distract opposing fans.

Both the Mavs and the Mustangs will have something to prove tomorrow- I expect a very physical game.

Moorhead in control entire game almost try to give it away at the end. Offense continues to be pretty good at times. Moorhead struggled on defense against ball screens at times. Sem in foul trouble all game...needs to understand refs calling it close and back off a bit. Bemidji pg clearly no interest in shooting the ball...just go under the ball screens? Expect difficult battle with Crookston tomorrow....hoping to keep Cleary under 50. We will see...

I told everyone who cared yesterday, and some who didnt, that Upper Iowa was a high variance team. Theyre going to shoot 30 threes no matter what, sometimes they'll make 15, sometimes they'll make 5, and last night they made 20 of 42. The Arena crowd was murmuring and throwing their hands up in disbelief after the Peacocks made 10 of their first 13 threes and took a 13 point lead. It even drove Guest69 to look up the NSIC record for most threes in a game, 22 by Augie vs Mary last season, as Brooks McKowen's ode to Daryl Morey threatened to bury Augie alive.

In the throes of despair it's tough to remember that it's always darkest before the dawn and that shooting percentages are usually highest before they fall. Augie turned the tables by forcing the Peacocks to dribble more instead of catching and shooting at will while feasting on the usually porous Peacock defense. For the second time in three games AJ was dealing with 26 pts- 7 ast - 4 reb and /insert adjective to describe Matt Cartwright's jumper/ allowed Augie fans to know what love is because we want him to show us. Jameson, Michael, and Trevor (this should not be possible for a man his size https://twitter.com/AugieMensBball/s...715394053?s=19 )kept the offense afloat while Dylan's 11 defensive rebounds ensured the Peacocks were one and done on their end.

Tied for first in the South and second overall is beyond comprehension given who is sitting on the bench in walking boots/shoulder braces and sporty quarter zips during games. Never ever doubt Texas Tom.
    Last edited by Augieholic; 01-12-2019 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Mentioned it on twitter, but it's becoming obvious SMSU is really missing the seniors from last year's team, especially Kirk inside. I knew it probably wasn't going to be as good as the last two years, but man its hard to see.
    I welcome you to the club.

Crookston heaves and airball three for the tie with 1.1 to go, Bo called for a terrible call of a foul on the rebound. Crookston hits 1st. TO. Crookston with one more FT and down two.
    He’s a great player but Crookston put too much faith in Cleary down the stretch. There was no doubt he was going to be the sole focus on every possession and he came up dry. A little more balance in the last couple minutes and they may have hung on.

Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    He’s a great player but Crookston put too much faith in Cleary down the stretch. There was no doubt he was going to be the sole focus on every possession and he came up dry. A little more balance in the last couple minutes and they may have hung on.
    They have some pieces to be really potent on offense. I don't think they use Juhl nearly enough and the big guys they play are solid too. But their offense is basically a clear out for Cleary and let him go. Sometimes he will pass, but when the game was on the line last night everyone in the arena knew no one was taking a shot but him and they didn't get any good ones. NSU did a good job of forcing him to drive and he threw up some tough shots with help in his face. He has the capability to go off for 50 any night, but overall Crookston doesn't play a style of basketball that is particularly enjoyable to watch (unless he is in heat-check mode).

This is one of those nights where the Vikes really look like a bunch of freshmen and sophomores out there. Goodness.

48 points by halftime tonight was a MUCH better showing. Mavs didn't score 48 the whole game last night...

Would have loved to see the Winona State team that all of the Winona fans get frustrated about show up tonight. Instead we got a Winona team that was making shots and playing brutally efficient defense.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Would have loved to see the Winona State team that all of the Winona fans get frustrated about show up tonight. Instead we got a Winona team that was making shots and playing brutally efficient defense.
    You just drew the short straw. Tonight they were knocking down threes. In their losses they haven't. They don't have much of an inside game so live and die around the perimeter. It's not a recipe for consistent success but nice to taste a little for a change.

Jekyll and Hyde weekend for the Mavs. Lose by 30 in their worst effort in forever and then win by 30 with some energy.

Friday night's team goes 0-28. Saturday night's team is very tough to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    You just drew the short straw. Tonight they were knocking down threes. In their losses they haven't. They don't have much of an inside game so live and die around the perimeter. It's not a recipe for consistent success but nice to taste a little for a change.
    Winona defended like they were possessed for most of the night, Augie struggled to create separation for open looks and especially dribble penetration. Gathje especially feasted on slower (Hanson) or smaller (Schaefer) defenders all night.

For the weekend Augie allowed 36 made threes on 74 attempts, some of that was hot shooting but a larger chunk of it was defensive break downs. That had not been an issue until this weekend so hopefully it's just a blip in the growth of this core.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast