Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1189

Thread: IUP Football 2019

Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    Two words for IUP

"Social Influencer"

Hire one.

Yes...it's literally the most bull**** job in the history of modern employment...but they somehow get people to buy into things that they wouldn't have otherwise.
    What social influencer that people actually care about do you think would willing back IUP for a fair fee. Most of the social influencers that matter charge a substantial amount PER POST. Imagine what the fee would be for an appearance. The ROI just doesn't make sense. Unless it is a famous alumni that you could get for basically pro bono (not sure of any famous relevant IUP'ers with a massive following on social media) people wouldn't care because everyone would know it was fraudulent support of the University and athletic program.

There's several other reasons that I believe this just isn't well thought out idea or effective way to get the attendance numbers up.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Getting a little wimpy here, aren't we?

I remember West Florida going through the Friday night walkthroughs in December of 2017 without shirts on.

Perhaps the real people who are “soft” when it comes to the weather are the ones who live in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PSACfan1 View Post
    What social influencer that people actually care about do you think would willing back IUP for a fair fee. Most of the social influencers that matter charge a substantial amount PER POST. Imagine what the fee would be for an appearance. The ROI just doesn't make sense. Unless it is a famous alumni that you could get for basically pro bono (not sure of any famous relevant IUP'ers with a massive following on social media) people wouldn't care because everyone would know it was fraudulent support of the University and athletic program.

There's several other reasons that I believe this just isn't well thought out idea or effective way to get the attendance numbers up.
    Social influencers are often referred to as “entrepreneurs.” At least that’s how they describe themselves - right, wrong, or indifferent.

He likely chose the wrong word. They need a young person to head up their marketing efforts via social media. They don’t need the guy who scammed everyone with the Fyre Festival, but they need a person to spearhead marketing efforts.

Most Division 1 athletic departments have entire teams of young people that they have on staff to run social media and conduct all of their marketing. What IUPNation is saying isn’t off base whatsoever, he just chose the wrong title for what that person is.

Last edited by IUP24; 07-12-2019 at 10:27 AM.

4. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Just curious what you would consider a great academic accomplishment? To me at least a 3.5 GPA is outstanding! It takes some real effort to attain that.

When I was at university Dean's List qualifier was 3.25. I always considered it an accomplishment every time I made it.

-
    We obviously were in the university system in different eras, however 3.5 is great - What does getting a 3.5 at IUP get you anyway? Or any university for that matter. I'm just saying based on the academic rigor of today's universities it isn't an other worldly accomplishment. Especially as an athlete - there are a lot of work arounds put in place for them to succeed. It's not like they aren't extra resources, have additional exam and homework flexibility - having dated an athlete, worked for several teams and being heavily integrated into SR's athletic department while there I know for fact there's always not only a helping hand, but an extra extra helping hand if necessary.

5. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    Social influencers are often referred to as “entrepreneurs.” At least that’s how they describe themselves - right, wrong, or indifferent.

He likely chose the wrong word. They need a young person to head up their marketing efforts via social media. They don’t need the guy who scammed everyone with the Fyre, but they need a person to spearhead marketing efforts.

Most Division 1 athletic departments have entire teams of young people that they have on staff to run social media and conduct all of their marketing. What IUPNation is saying isn’t off base whatsoever, he just chose the wrong title for what that person is.

Thanks for providing that clarity - social influencer clearly wouldn't make any sense from ROI stand point. I'm genuinely curious about what this sub think that looks like I believe that IUP has a presence on IG & Twitter... Are there specific D1 Universities IUP should look to emulate their social media presence with? I may be just missing the mark here but I don't understand how that gets the target demo into seats and having conversations about the schools athletics.

Kardashian's give you one (1) post for $1m.

Thanks for providing that clarity - social influencer clearly wouldn't make any sense from ROI stand point. I'm genuinely curious about what this sub think that looks like I believe that IUP has a presence on IG & Twitter... Are there specific D1 Universities IUP should look to emulate their social media presence with? I may be just missing the mark here but I don't understand how that gets the target demo into seats and having conversations about the schools athletics.
    It's the constant connection and communication with the student body. That's what they're missing.

I'm not sure how old you are or what your connection is or was to Slippery Rock's athletic department, but I have some personal experience with this subject as it relates to IUP. I'm 26. When I was in school, a group of friends and I formally created what was then known as the "Hawk's Nest" and the "Crimson Crazies," the "official" student sections for IUP football and basketball respectively. We achieved club status on campus and everything. We worked tirelessly on social media to promote athletics - football and basketball in particular. We started this whole project during Christmas break of my junior year. We tried to do our own version of Taylor University's "Silent Night" for a big game against Gannon during the spring semester. IUP lost the game (which IUPBigIndians still blames me for lol), but it worked. That game absolutely shattered the all-time IUP basketball attendance record. It was constant work on social media that created a buzz on campus. People were talking about the game for weeks. The basketball program got involved and helped promote it. Giant Eagle bought 750 tickets for the game and gave them out to people in store for free. 4,000 people were at that game. IUP hasn't come close to that number since. Point is you can promote something enough and create a buzz and get people to come.

We proved this with football too. We spent an entire summer promoting the opening weekend game against St. Augustine's. We had over 1,000 students at the game. And they all sat (stood) where we told them to and it was an awesome atmosphere. You can easily make some random game into an "event" simply by hyping the game on social media. Part of the reason that first game was so successful was because we targeted freshmen with our marketing efforts. We sold t-shirts on freshmen move-in weekend. They all bought in for that first game. But when they show up and realize that the high school student section or atmosphere they experienced at Pine Richland or North Allegheny was 10x better, it's tough to emulate.

The twitter accounts that we ran are now inactive and largely irrelevant. I have no clue who runs them now, but they don't do a good job in my opinion. You can get the right people to market and spearhead social media efforts, but you have to pay them. You have to figure we were 6 full time students. That wasn't our job, but we promoted IUP football and basketball more in that one year than IUP's athletic department did in a decade. And that's where the real problem lies.

It's the constant connection and communication with the student body. That's what they're missing.

I'm not sure how old you are or what your connection is or was to Slippery Rock's athletic department, but I have some personal experience with this subject as it relates to IUP. I'm 26. When I was in school, a group of friends and I formally created what was then known as the "Hawk's Nest" and the "Crimson Crazies," the "official" student sections for IUP football and basketball respectively. We achieved club status on campus and everything. We worked tirelessly on social media to promote athletics - football and basketball in particular. We started this whole project during Christmas break of my junior year. We tried to do our own version of Taylor University's "Silent Night" for a big game against Gannon during the spring semester. IUP lost the game (which IUPBigIndians still blames me for lol), but it worked. That game absolutely shattered the all-time IUP basketball attendance record. It was constant work on social media that created a buzz on campus. People were talking about the game for weeks. The basketball program got involved and helped promote it. Giant Eagle bought 750 tickets for the game and gave them out to people in store for free. 4,000 people were at that game. IUP hasn't come close to that number since. Point is you can promote something enough and create a buzz and get people to come.

We proved this with football too. We spent an entire summer promoting the opening weekend game against St. Augustine's. We had over 1,000 students at the game. And they all sat (stood) where we told them to and it was an awesome atmosphere. You can easily make some random game into an "event" simply by hyping the game on social media. Part of the reason that first game was so successful was because we targeted freshmen with our marketing efforts. We sold t-shirts on freshmen move-in weekend. They all bought in for that first game. But when they show up and realize that the high school student section or atmosphere they experienced at Pine Richland or North Allegheny was 10x better, it's tough to emulate.

The twitter accounts that we ran are now inactive and largely irrelevant. I have no clue who runs them now, but they don't do a good job in my opinion. You can get the right people to market and spearhead social media efforts, but you have to pay them. You have to figure we were 6 full time students. That wasn't our job, but we promoted IUP football and basketball more in that one year than IUP's athletic department did in a decade. And that's where the real problem lies.
    Lol.

Joe said it was a cute idea ... but there will never be another one.

Then you come up with something. This is a problem that has been going on for 35 years on that campus.

10. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Lol.

From the first time I heard about it I thought it was a dumb idea. That was not about sports it was a joke.

So kids came to the game. How many returned for other games?

Lol.

Joe also told us that worked it lol. They didn't win the game, but it helped to "grow the program" if you will. A lot of kids had a fun time at the KCAC that night. And a lot of kids came back that might not have been there previously. It was a "win" everywhere but the box score. Kids have fun at the basketball games. They don't inside of Miller Stadium.

We had a blast working with Joe. We were initially contacted by him via email and he wanted to meet us. We went down to his office multiple times and talked shop with him about all things regarding promoting the team. He was willing to do or try anything. I remember him asking us if we thought getting Neil Walker to a game would be cool and get some kids to the KCAC. He had some connection he said he was going to try to work to make it happen, it never did though lol.

12. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Lol.

Joe just hosted the Atlantic Regional and the combined attendance of IUP’s two games might have equaled the Silent Night game. Perhaps he should reconsider.

13. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    From the first time I heard about it I thought it was a dumb idea. That was not about sports it was a joke.

The point is IUP24 and his friends tried. They thought outside the box. You can sh*t on everything he suggests but he has actually tried where the rest of us just talk.

I wish he and his friends were still students this past spring. I guarantee the Men’s basketball regional games would’ve far surpassed their embarrassing turnout if they had been.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Joe just hosted the Atlantic Regional and the combined attendance of IUP’s two games might have equaled the Silent Night game. Perhaps he should reconsider.

Chuck, I think it actually might have been less...

15. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

I'm 27. So we were at least in the same era.. I was heavily integrated into the athletic department did a lot of announcing, working for several of the teams, etc. Wasn't really into the social media aspect of it but it sounds like you guys killed it. IUP should have definitely created an incentive to keep that going and it looks good for people looking to get into something like that after school.. plus ROI on that would be better than actually hiring someone. Allow someone to use that platform and access to the teams, etc. Create hype videos, run social media, would be a wealth of experience and a great way to show prospective employers that you are great at branding and getting people to show to events.

16. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    Then you come up with something. This is a problem that has been going on for 35 years on that campus.
    I have no vested interested in IUP growing their brand on campus amongst their target demo. I was just saying your idea was poorly thought out and responded as to why I felt as such.

17. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

One potential way to spruce up attendance would be to maybe shift the target demo to specifically females... where the ladies go the boys will follow at more than likely a 10:1 ratio (the ratio being 10 guys for every 1 lady)

18. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    The point is IUP24 and his friends tried. They thought outside the box. You can sh*t on everything he suggests but he has actually tried where the rest of us just talk.
    I totally agree. My disagreements with him are on substantive issues. And that he thinks he's the only person ever who tried to promote IUP football. The truth is there have been a lot of involved people over many years.

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post

What actually constitutes a good idea for you?

20. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

One potential way to spruce up attendance would be to maybe shift the target demo to specifically females... where the ladies go the boys will follow at more than likely a 10:1 ratio (the ratio being 10 guys for every 1 lady)
    Bingo. Smartest comment I've seen.