Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1189

Thread: IUP Football 2019

  1. #1041

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    If 12pm was a good start time, why doesn't IUP start their Saturday basketball games at 12pm?
    Timing is off. Let me repeat my previous post. "What is 'because it's indoors, Alex'?" Please excuse my sarcasm.

    BTW, I didn't say 12pm was a good time. I only said why I think they have it and disagreed that it was because university staff want to get home early on Saturday.

  2. #1042
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    98,203
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Wow, you must have went to much more of a football high school than I did. We won FOUR games in my four years of high school. Lucky bloody you!

    But your point is well taken----we were no doubt so very grateful to have a good football program and took a lot of pride in supporting it during our time at IUP and beyond.

    -

    When I entered high school there were in the midst of what would be a 33 game losing streak. 5 of the 9 wins came my senior year. Friday nights at Roosevelt Field in Norristown for the Catholic High school we’re very sad. Norristown High took all the local good players.

    Bishop Kenrick High was the Lock Haven of Philadelphia Catholic League in sports in those days.

    IUP was a breath of fresh air for me.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 07-11-2019 at 08:23 PM.

  3. #1043

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    If 12pm was a good start time, why doesn't IUP start their Saturday basketball games at 12pm?
    Because Joe Lombardi knows Saturday night is the best atmosphere and will draw the best. He doesn't want the funeral home feeling from across the parking lot.

    I don't buy the cold weather nonsense. PSU gets 100,000 on Saturday night even it it's 3 degrees. It's not that cold around here in late October and the first weekend in November. If anything it's too freaking hot at noon in September.

  4. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Because Joe Lombardi knows Saturday night is the best atmosphere and will draw the best. He doesn't want the funeral home feeling from across the parking lot.

    I don't buy the cold weather nonsense. PSU gets 100,000 on Saturday night even it it's 3 degrees. It's not that cold around here in late October and the first weekend in November. If anything it's too freaking hot at noon in September.
    Here's a thought. A thought and a fact. The thought is that you can't compare going to an IUP game with a PSU game. The fact is that IUP does not have 12pm kick-offs in September. They didn't last year and they don't have 12pm scheduled in September in 2019. They did in 2017. Are they heeding our advice?

  5. #1045

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Actual IUP attendance:

    Past 5 years

    12pm/1pm avg gate: 1,900

    4pm avg gate: 2,921

    7pm avg gate: 3,074

  6. #1046

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    That's 1,000 more in the seats at 4pm compared to 12pm/1pm. That's a real big difference at this level.

  7. #1047

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Further trend in the numbers regarding the 12pm/1pm kickoff specific to IUP actual attendance:

    12pm/1pm time slot:

    2014 - 2,493 avg
    2015 - 1,734 avg
    2016 - 1,955 avg
    2017 - 1,816 avg
    2018 - 1,504 avg

    Not heading in a good direction. Almost down a thousand per game in the past 5 years in the early time-slot.

  8. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Further trend in the numbers regarding the 12pm/1pm kickoff specific to IUP actual attendance:

    12pm/1pm time slot:

    2014 - 2,493 avg
    2015 - 1,734 avg
    2016 - 1,955 avg
    2017 - 1,816 avg
    2018 - 1,504 avg

    Not heading in a good direction. Almost down a thousand per game in the past 5 years in the early time-slot.
    I think there is pretty much a consensus on the board that 12pm starts are not desirable. I do remember one poster saying he liked 12pm because of the logistics of coming in from out of town and getting home the same day. That's one person, though.

  9. #1049

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    I didn't run the '2pm' kick because that's Homecoming and will obviously be the biggest number every year regardless of which time-slot.

    I'm guessing if I went back another five years the trend will be identical.

    The middle time-slot, yes, you may have to turn on the lights. You know, the brand new ones they just bought for the intramural program.

    As for cold night games ... you'll get the 'cold' one (like Cal at IUP in 2015). BUT, that was probably one of the best atmospheres in Miller in three decades.

    But, as the numbers show, attendance spikes 33 percent by playing at 4 p.m. as opposed to noon ... 1,000 per game. What's that worth in dollars for a small-time program? It certainly makes for a better atmosphere.

    I'm a HUGE advocate for the PSAC moving several games a year to Thursday night. Become the only show in town ... no Pitt, WVU or PSU competition. No pee-wee football or soccer competition.

    Can you imagine IUP hosting Cal or SRU on a Thursday night with all the students actually here? It would be as close to 'crazy' as Miller could get.

  10. #1050

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    This topic made me remember perhaps my favorite game ever at Miller Stadium.

    Sept. 30, 2000 (7pm)

    SRU at IUP

    McKavish vs. Eyerman

    Dr. Evil vs. Frank


    IUP won, late, 24-20. Tink Stennent, for those who remember him, was the hero that night. That was the biggest crowd I've ever seen in person at Miller. The fence was two-deep the whole way around the field. It was by far the loudest I've ever heard Miller. Tink broke free late in the game down to the corner (where IUP used to enter the field). That was a moment.

    That also was really in the boiling point of the rivalry, too. It was not far removed from the 'Rock Dance' by IUP up there or the 'Dr. Evil Dance' at Miller.

    I've probably seen close to 150 games in Miller, give or take, and that is in my Top 3.

    The Ashland game two years ago is probably another of them. I still don't know how he made that kick. Incredible.

  11. #1051
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Martinsburg, West Virginia
    Posts
    1,676
    Rep Power
    5365

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Further trend in the numbers regarding the 12pm/1pm kickoff specific to IUP actual attendance:

    12pm/1pm time slot:

    2014 - 2,493 avg
    2015 - 1,734 avg
    2016 - 1,955 avg
    2017 - 1,816 avg
    2018 - 1,504 avg

    Not heading in a good direction. Almost down a thousand per game in the past 5 years in the early time-slot.
    What was going on in 2014? Isn't that the year they went 6-5? Those numbers do not correlate to the team's performance given that the 2017 team won the SR and the 2014 team was average.

  12. #1052

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPMonk View Post
    What was going on in 2014? Isn't that the year they went 6-5? Those numbers do not correlate to the team's performance given that the 2017 team won the SR and the 2014 team was average.
    Those are based on the offical numbers released. IUP had some big number in for the St. Augustine's game (over 4k) and that spiked it.

    I was at that game. That 4k+ posted number is, well, highly questionable.

  13. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    I'm sure the reason why most of the crowd sizes at the games are for 1 of 2 reasons:

    1. Students are upset they didn't make it on the team. You'd be shocked by how many college age kids are upset they didn't get a D2 offer and aren't willing to support their school.

    2. They feel their school's athletic teams are overrated and want to be disconnected. Again you'd be shocked by how many people I talk to that complain about how overrated their teams are.

    Two weird reasons, but reasons that I've heard for decline in attendance at certain schools.

  14. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. It is certainly an accomplishment in my opinion for students to achieve Dean's List status. Especially if they are student-athletes with all of the extra things going on as IUPfootball points out.

    -
    Dean's List is actually 3.5 GPA... and I wouldn't say that it's all that great of an accomplishment to be honest. It's what should be expected of athletes. I was in a few classes with SRU's very own and current pitcher for the Oakland A's Lou Trivino and he was an awesome student but also an outlier. He told me directly he really didn't care about academics and chose the EASIEST course load.

  15. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPMonk View Post
    What was going on in 2014? Isn't that the year they went 6-5? Those numbers do not correlate to the team's performance given that the 2017 team won the SR and the 2014 team was average.
    People wanted to support Chase Haslett. A good young man from a terrific family.

  16. #1056

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    People wanted to support Chase Haslett. A good young man from a terrific family.
    Yeah but Eddie was $ooooooooo money.

  17. #1057
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    768
    Rep Power
    7024

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Because Joe Lombardi knows Saturday night is the best atmosphere and will draw the best. He doesn't want the funeral home feeling from across the parking lot.

    I don't buy the cold weather nonsense. PSU gets 100,000 on Saturday night even it it's 3 degrees. It's not that cold around here in late October and the first weekend in November. If anything it's too freaking hot at noon in September.
    Come on Big Indians. The average "high" in Indiana Pa on Sept is 75 degrees:

    https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/uspa0766
    Last edited by ShoNuff; 07-11-2019 at 04:02 PM.

  18. #1058

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Re: Kickoff times.

    Over the years, most of the coaches I have talked to told me they hate night games.

    Night games give their players too much time on their hands. They can't hold a practice and the players are too amped up for meetings. So they sit and wait and that's not always best.

    One coach told me that "in a perfect world, games would kick off at 9 a.m."

    Some coaches feel like they're in a tough spot because they want the program to grow and for the fans to fill the place, but it's best for their team to basically roll out of bed and play the game.

  19. #1059
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    768
    Rep Power
    7024

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I think there is pretty much a consensus on the board that 12pm starts are not desirable. I do remember one poster saying he liked 12pm because of the logistics of coming in from out of town and getting home the same day. That's one person, though.
    Ummmm....that would be me. And that is only for commuting purposes.

    Whether it is 12pm/1pm starts to 7pm starts, I just don't believe game time is the issue though, I think it's the quality of the atmosphere inside the stadium. As stated before, the music from the PA System AND Band is extremely dated. The cheerleading squad is easily drown out by that one lady yelling her only (and VERY basic) cheer, "IUP! IUP! IUP! IUP! As if that constantly create adrenaline for the players or adds "electricity" to the fans. I hate to admit it, but someone did state its a high school feeling in the stadium, and its true. It will stay this way until IUP figures out how to attract a few more students.
    Last edited by ShoNuff; 07-11-2019 at 04:03 PM.

  20. #1060
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    768
    Rep Power
    7024

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Burglund View Post
    Re: Kickoff times.

    Over the years, most of the coaches I have talked to told me they hate night games.

    Night games give their players too much time on their hands. They can't hold a practice and the players are too amped up for meetings. So they sit and wait and that's not always best.

    One coach told me that "in a perfect world, games would kick off at 9 a.m."

    Some coaches feel like they're in a tough spot because they want the program to grow and for the fans to fill the place, but it's best for their team to basically roll out of bed and play the game.
    Some good points of concern there Matt. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •