Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1137

Thread: IUP Football 2019

Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    Have to agree with that one...no question!
    If you look at only the male athletes, it would be much lower. .there are many women athletes with 4.0 s

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    If you look at only the male athletes, it would be much lower. .there are many women athletes with 4.0 s
    Find me the last Joe Lombardi player with bad grades. I'll wait for it.

3. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Find me the last Joe Lombardi player with bad grades. I'll wait for it.
    Find me the last Gary Edwards player with good grades. I won't wait for it.

-

4. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by PSACfan1 View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate here - achieving a 3.25 GPA in today's academic climate isn't exactly anything to write home about.
    I'm not so sure about that. It is certainly an accomplishment in my opinion for students to achieve Dean's List status. Especially if they are student-athletes with all of the extra things going on as IUPfootball points out.

-

Quote Originally Posted by IUPfootball View Post
    Getting A’s and B’s while having to go to practice everyday and meetings everyday and workouts is a pretty good achievement man.
    I'd say it is and excellent achievement. Achieving Dean's list status for anyone should not be undervalued, underestimated, or marginalized.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Find me the last Gary Edwards player with good grades. I won't wait for it.

-
    Well ... GE was a long time ago. Irish Tom doesn't look at anybody who doesn't have a 4.0 ... Joe's player's are also all honor students.

Gotta give serious props to Lombardi. He turned a football school into a basketball school.

That's not really even debatable the past 12 years.

And, what Tom is doing with the women is just unprecedented. Tom has the flagship program at IUP right now followed by Joe.

8. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Gotta give serious props to Lombardi. He turned a football school into a basketball school.

That's not really even debatable the past 12 years.
    I think that it is still a football school by and large. Just look at these forums---much more football participation. Only a half dozen or so who regularly post about IUP hoops. Football is hurt by the dumb kickoff times, the insane prices they charge to get into a total dump of a stadium, the lack of atmosphere (i.e. tailgating), and of course as you always correctly allude to-----the dying off of the old guard that made up so much of the loyal football legion.

But I do concur that Bravado has made leaps and bound with the places that he has taken IUP hoops. Certainly, Gary and Kurt Kanaskie deserve some credit here as well.

And, what Tom is doing with the women is just unprecedented. Tom has the flagship program at IUP right now followed by Joe.
    I think one caveat here is that PSAC as well as D-II WBB is down across the board as far as I have been able to deduce. I don't believe that there are as powerful WBB teams in D-II. For example---I don't think any of these recent IUP or Cal WBB teams that have achieved some measure of success would last very long at all against Darcie Vincent's 2003 and 2004 teams and some of the teams they went up against in the Elite Eight. I think the more recent teams would have been ripped apart and destroyed going up against them. I very strongly believe that.

-

I think that it is still a football school by and large. Just look at these forums---much more football participation. Only a half dozen or so who regularly post about IUP hoops. Football is hurt by the dumb kickoff times, the insane prices they charge to get into a total dump of a stadium, the lack of atmosphere (i.e. tailgating), and of course as you always correctly allude to-----the dying off of the old guard that made up so much of the loyal football legion.

But I do concur that Bravado has made leaps and bound with the places that he has taken IUP hoops. Certainly, Gary and Kurt Kanaskie deserve some credit here as well.

I think one caveat here is that PSAC as well as D-II WBB is down across the board as far as I have been able to deduce. I don't believe that there are as powerful WBB teams in D-II. For example---I don't think any of these recent IUP or Cal WBB teams that have achieved some measure of success would last very long at all against Darcie Vincent's 2003 and 2004 teams and some of the teams they went up against in the Elite Eight. I think the more recent teams would have been ripped apart and destroyed going up against them. I very strongly believe that.

-
    Success ... Joe's blown out the football program. Not even close. A big Jan-Feb basketball game versus a football game ... atmosphere ... no comparison. Joe blows them out. Not even close.

Tom's been to two strait Final Four's and has won two straight Regionals. Era to era ... who knows. But ... stats are facts.

Your post brought up a great point. IUP football best get some young fans in the next 1 to 8 years. That home side is old now. The next generation best be found soon.

-
    I think you're wrong on all accounts. More people post about football here because the main site is "D2football.com." A lot of people don't even know about the basketball forum linked to the football board. To me the message boards don't show which sport gets supported more. It's all about the buzz and basketball brings that buzz with quality human beings playing!

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    I think you're wrong on all accounts. More people post about football here because the main site is "D2football.com." A lot of people don't even know about the basketball forum linked to the football board. To me the message boards don't show which sport gets supported more. It's all about the buzz and basketball brings that buzz with quality human beings playing!
    This is true. Though, in all fairness, it doesn't matter if it's a message board forum or real life, D2 or the pros, "football drives the bus" as Dave Wannstedt once said. Even if the site were to change it's name to "D2 Sports Insiders" or something like that, football will likely still drive the bus on this forum.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Your post brought up a great point. IUP football best get some young fans in the next 1 to 8 years. That home side is old now. The next generation best be found soon.

All anyone has to do is care.

No gimmick can make people care.

No gimmick got me to care. It was my school, I wanted to see something from MY school succeed.

I invested my time because I cared.

If you didn’t care the first weekend you moved on to campus, chances are you are not going to suddenly care. Too many students at many schools are just there. Outside of class and partying, they don’t care about anything else. Then they leave and don’t look back.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    This is true. Though, in all fairness, it doesn't matter if it's a message board forum or real life, D2 or the pros, "football drives the bus" as Dave Wannstedt once said. Even if the site were to change it's name to "D2 Sports Insiders" or something like that, football will likely still drive the bus on this forum.
    This may be true on a whole but we are talking IUP. Basketball has become more popular than football since Lombardi has taken over as coach.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    All anyone has to do is care.

No gimmick can make people care.

No gimmick got me to care. It was my school, I wanted to see something from MY school succeed.

I invested my time because I cared.

If you didn’t care the first weekend you moved on to campus, chances are you are not going to suddenly care. Too many students at many schools are just there. Outside of class and partying, they don’t care about anything else. Then they leave and don’t look back.

You aren't getting kids rolling in to Miller at noon (soberly). If that sounds bad ... so be it. But ... It. Ain't. Happening.

You aren't getting kids rolling in to Miller at noon (soberly). If that sounds bad ... so be it. But ... It. Ain't. Happening.
    Not with that atmosphere. Nobody is going to sit in the sun (August/September) or cold (October/November) to watch what looks like high school football on Saturday afternoon and a marching band playing Aaron Copland. The start time is terrible too. With streaming, students watch stuff until 3 or 4 in the morning. They eat lunch at 2:00 and dinner at 7:00. So that may as well be a 10am kickoff.

Default IUP Football 2019

You are getting them There ay any time if they don’t care.

The oldies in the stands cared because what options were there in 1955, 1960 or 1965. Foosball games were the event on campus I imagine. We had more options in the 80’s and it’s only gotten 100 times worse since then...

Kids were not sitting in their dorms watching Penn State or Pitt on TV in 1960.

Maybe you get a few dozen more students at 3pm but in the end, if the don’t care about The program when they arrive as freshmen then they never will.

The answer isn’t game time changes or free concerts or free food.

I just had lunch with a friend from IUP who now lives in Wisconsin. She was visiting with her sister down the shore and they came to Philly for a day. We were talking about things from IUP and football came up. Her sister went to Penn State. She asked me if IUP was any good at football. She’s lived in PA all her life. If people in this state have no idea of the pedigree of the IUP program than why are we expecting crowds to show up. Slimey gets people because of the stupid name and all that associates with it. IUP has an image and marketing problem. The problem is they promote nothing so nobody cares. In the end it’s being associated with something successful that makes people care.

I cared because I went to a high school that maybe won 9 games in the four years I attended.

Now I had a college foosball team that took prisoners and asked questions later. That made me care. It was that simple. I put up the 1986 PSAC Title banner I bought at the Co-op in my room.

But I Also knew dozens of kids both male and female in those days who didn’t give a blip about the foosball team or any IUP sports. The issue is not new. I say it constantly and nobody listens.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 07-10-2019 at 02:11 PM.

18. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

[QUOTE=IUPNation;2397019]You are getting them There ay any time if they don’t care.

The oldies in the stands cared because what options were there in 1955, 1960 or 1965. Foosball games were the event on campus I imagine. We had more options in the 80’s and it’s only gotten 100 times worse since then...

Maybe you get a few dozen more students at 3pm but in the end, if the don’t care about The program when they arrive as freshmen then they never will.

I just had lunch with a friend from IUP who now lives in Wisconsin. She was visiting with her sister down the shore and they came to Philly for a day. We were talking about things from IUP and football came up. Her sister went to Penn State. She asked me if IUP was any good at football. She’s lived in PA all her life. If people in this state have no idea of the pedigree of the IUP program than why are we expecting crowds to show up. Slimey gets people because of the stupid name and all that associates with it. IUP has an image and marketing problem. The problem is they promote nothing so nobody cares. In the end it’s being associated with something successful that makes people care.

I cared because I went to a high school that maybe won 9 games in the four years I attended.

Now I had a college foosball team that took prisoners and asked questions later. That made me care. It was that simple. I put up the 1986 PSAC Title banner I bought at the Co-op in my room.

But I Also knew dozens of kids both male and female in those days who didn’t give a blip about the foosball team or any IUP sports. The issue is not new. I say it constantly and nobody listens.[/QUOTE

As I always say I think I would have been more into it if IUP had moved to (mixed 1-A/1-AA) back when Coach Klausing wanted to. We may have had a better facility by now and could have been up there with the 1-AA YSU and Marshall back in the day. A little more pub and pride. I think the new Arena has helped basketball. Seeing RMU's and Duquesne's UPMC arenas, ours is still looking good compared to those. It is pretty top flight I believe. Football just looks high school.

But I Also knew dozens of kids both male and female in those days who didn’t give a blip about the foosball team or any IUP sports. The issue is not new. I say it constantly and nobody listens.

But the issue is more prevalent now in the PSAC than it was in the 80s as you say.

The thing you might be missing here is that this isn’t just an IUP issue - or a PSAC issue - or a D2 issue... Student attendance is plummeting fast at Power 5 programs. I read an article a few weeks that stated that there were only 6 Division 1 FBS programs that didn’t see drops in student attendance last year.

Even further, most P5 programs have reported that other attendees - not students - aren’t showing up like they did 2-3 years ago. Attendance is down. And it’s not going to rise back given the factors that have led to the decrease. As TV quality continually gets better and more streaming options develop, it will hurt attendance even more.

Times have certainly changed. Going to a sporting event live doesn’t have the same appeal as it did 5, 10, 15, 20+ years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by IUP24; 07-10-2019 at 06:33 PM.

[QUOTE=Big Ike 97;2397033]

But I Also knew dozens of kids both male and female in those days who didn’t give a blip about the foosball team or any IUP sports. The issue is not new. I say it constantly and nobody listens.[/QUOTE

As I always say I think I would have been more into it if IUP had moved to (mixed 1-A/1-AA) back when Coach Klausing wanted to. We may have had a better facility by now and could have been up there with the 1-AA YSU and Marshall back in the day. A little more pub and pride. I think the new Arena has helped basketball. Seeing RMU's and Duquesne's UPMC arenas, ours is still looking good compared to those. It is pretty top flight I believe. Football just looks high school.
    Lot of truth in your last sentence. It feels like a high school game.