Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 824

Thread: IUP Football 2019

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    724
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    7023

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    It depends on the transfer. A lot of these game-changing transfers arrive with a body of work that says they are better than the other players who are already on the team. That's why we get transfers, especially "D1 transfers." IUP has thrived on these types of acquisitions for a long time. SRU did last year. Cal is in that category, as well. But not all transfers just walk into a starting role. As an example, there is no point in making Max Redfield "earn it." I think we are really breaking this down to a basic level but in the end better is better.
    And I have no beef with that. Max Redfield was a highly recruited and starter for the University of Notre Dame. So yes Groundhog, I wouldn't have too much beef in placing him in a starting position come Day One of camp, because as you stated, he is coming with a body of work. But for "team/locker room chemistry purposes" I wouldn't have mind them starting Max on 2nd team from 1st day of camp BUT by mid or end of the 1st week he's now running with the 1st team. Either way, I would not mind it at all because of his body work. I am speaking about transfers that has zero body of work that come into camp and is immediately given a starting position Day One of Fall Camp ONLY because he's D-1 transfer, in front of players that's been in the system for a couple of years. It may work out to some extent on the field, but it could play a part in a split sidelines/locker room. I am NOT saying these transfers should not eventually play nor start over players already on the team, but at least allow them to work for it, or make it appear like they are. The players will have more respect for their fellow coaches and feel like they were given a fair chance.

  2. #82

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    And I have no beef with that. Max Redfield was a highly recruited and starter for the University of Notre Dame. So yes Groundhog, I wouldn't have too much beef in placing him in a starting position come Day One of camp, because as you stated, he is coming with a body of work. But for "team/locker room chemistry purposes" I wouldn't have mind them starting Max on 2nd team from 1st day of camp BUT by mid or end of the 1st week he's now running with the 1st team. Either way, I would not mind it at all because of his body work. I am speaking about transfers that has zero body of work that come into camp and is immediately given a starting position Day One of Fall Camp ONLY because he's D-1 transfer, in front of players that's been in the system for a couple of years. It may work out to some extent on the field, but it could play a part in a split sidelines/locker room. I am NOT saying these transfers should not eventually play nor start over players already on the team, but at least allow them to work for it, or make it appear like they are. The players will have more respect for their fellow coaches and feel like they were given a fair chance.
    Here's the other part, though.

    What all gets promised and sold to these imports while they are getting recruited?

    If every school is telling them they are a Day 1 starter and IUP is telling them they'll be starting 3rd string with D2 walk-ons ... might not land many of those recruits.

    The legit P5 transfers ... Redfield, Ian Park ... those are pretty rare.

    Glorified guys like this scout team WR from PSU that SRU just got ... those types should have likely been in D2 all along anyway. The vast majority of these imports coming down ... are coming down for a reason. Typically they weren't good enough for that level.

    The Frank years were a different story. Frank was getting a lot of legit D1 talent -- many of which had what some would call 'baggage'.

    Seniority should mean diddly in football. It leads to complacency. This team was also a vastly underachieving, mental trainwreck last season -- one that quit in the last game. There shouldn't be a single job secure.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    4,606
    Rep Power
    23737

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by BallHawkin View Post
    Nazir Streater is the newest member of the Hawks ........ https://liupostpioneers.com/roster.a...&path=football Have at it. jus sayin
    The question is whether he is coming to play RB or DB? I know he's mostly played DB at Post BUT if you look closer he did get a few carries last season.

  4. #84

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    The question is whether he is coming to play RB or DB? I know he's mostly played DB at Post BUT if you look closer he did get a few carries last season.
    DB. They have Samir, Justice and Duane Brown back. Help is needed on the other side.

  5. #85

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    And I have no beef with that. Max Redfield was a highly recruited and starter for the University of Notre Dame. So yes Groundhog, I wouldn't have too much beef in placing him in a starting position come Day One of camp, because as you stated, he is coming with a body of work. But for "team/locker room chemistry purposes" I wouldn't have mind them starting Max on 2nd team from 1st day of camp BUT by mid or end of the 1st week he's now running with the 1st team. Either way, I would not mind it at all because of his body work. I am speaking about transfers that has zero body of work that come into camp and is immediately given a starting position Day One of Fall Camp ONLY because he's D-1 transfer, in front of players that's been in the system for a couple of years. It may work out to some extent on the field, but it could play a part in a split sidelines/locker room. I am NOT saying these transfers should not eventually play nor start over players already on the team, but at least allow them to work for it, or make it appear like they are. The players will have more respect for their fellow coaches and feel like they were given a fair chance.
    I agree with all that. In Redfield's unique case something tells me it was handled appropriately from the start because he had the respect of everybody. I'm not sure how it was earned but he definitely had respect across the board. All situations are not the same but using Redfield as an example IUP had a projected starter at Safety ( I can't recall his name) and when it was announced (with much hoopla) that Max was coming in that Safety knew he was getting bumped. That happens.

  6. #86

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    As for the QB situation at IUP sometimes you bring in a transfer when the cupboard is bare and you don't have other good options. I don't think that's the case going into 2019. Do they need a stopgap until the two youngsters mature? From what I've seen I don't think that would benefit IUP in the long run. There is a short run and a long run. You're replacing a 4 year starter at QB so there is going to be uncertainty. I don't have a problem going into the season using both QB's if it's a case where neither has emerged as the #1. The situation could take longer to evolve. The only kind of QB transfer I think they could use would be someone from a P5 program who is slotted behind another guy with no prospects for starting and wants out of that situation.

  7. #87

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    My hunch is they suspect that one of these two won't be here after the spring. In that case they have to add a transfer.

    I don't personally think they offered the IHS QB to actually play QB here, either. To me he's more of a Mike P. type.

    Just remember the tranfer recruiting cycle has several phases -- now, end of spring ball, spring grades, summer arrests, etc.

  8. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    As for the QB situation at IUP sometimes you bring in a transfer when the cupboard is bare and you don't have other good options. I don't think that's the case going into 2019. Do they need a stopgap until the two youngsters mature? From what I've seen I don't think that would benefit IUP in the long run. There is a short run and a long run. You're replacing a 4 year starter at QB so there is going to be uncertainty. I don't have a problem going into the season using both QB's if it's a case where neither has emerged as the #1. The situation could take longer to evolve. The only kind of QB transfer I think they could use would be someone from a P5 program who is slotted behind another guy with no prospects for starting and wants out of that situation.
    Shades of 2014. That was an utter and complete disaster. It nearly tore the entire program apart. If you do bring in a D-I transfer----then you damn well bring in a real, legit D-I talent. Hopefully this lesson is still being absorbed by the current coaching staff.

    And to me a younger QB with potential takes precedence over some marginal transfer who is only here for a year or two and who isn't much of an answer for the long-term well-being of the program. It is my sincere hope that the lesson of 2014 is one that is NEVER forgotten.

    -

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    724
    Rep Power
    7023

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Here's the other part, though.

    What all gets promised and sold to these imports while they are getting recruited?

    If every school is telling them they are a Day 1 starter and IUP is telling them they'll be starting 3rd string with D2 walk-ons ... might not land many of those recruits.

    The legit P5 transfers ... Redfield, Ian Park ... those are pretty rare.

    Glorified guys like this scout team WR from PSU that SRU just got ... those types should have likely been in D2 all along anyway. The vast majority of these imports coming down ... are coming down for a reason. Typically they weren't good enough for that level.

    The Frank years were a different story. Frank was getting a lot of legit D1 talent -- many of which had what some would call 'baggage'.

    Seniority should mean diddly in football. It leads to complacency. This team was also a vastly underachieving, mental trainwreck last season -- one that quit in the last game. There shouldn't be a single job secure.
    I REALLY hope coaches are not lying to players by telling them they will be starting, especially incoming freshmen. I do believe the coaches are probably telling them they have a chance to compete for that position. But if they are lying to players then shame on them.

    And I 100% agree with you on your "seniority" comment. Especially after what happen last year I REALLY hope that all positions are wide open for competition. But that's just how it should be anyways. REALLY hope they allow the 2 current QBs to compete for the starting spot, whether they bring in a transfer or not.
    Last edited by ShoNuff; 01-26-2019 at 07:12 PM.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    724
    Rep Power
    7023

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    My hunch is they suspect that one of these two won't be here after the spring. In that case they have to add a transfer.

    I don't personally think they offered the IHS QB to actually play QB here, either. To me he's more of a Mike P. type.

    Just remember the tranfer recruiting cycle has several phases -- now, end of spring ball, spring grades, summer arrests, etc.
    I have taken a look at the IHS QB's highlights a few times (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5420314...e6a20c68d4dac6 ), I just don't believe he's quite similar to Mike P. (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/926280/...5e6812249564e3) . I believe he could be a QB down the road. Now that Kyle Sheets from Conneaut Area (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5498431...2296153c405e54 ) could be a Mike P. But I am not sure if he may commit to IUP since he has other offers from Slippery Rock, Mercyhurst and PWO offers from Penn St and Ohio U.

  11. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    I have taken a look at the IHS QB's highlights a few times (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5420314...e6a20c68d4dac6 ), I just don't believe he's quite similar to Mike P. (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/926280/...5e6812249564e3) . I believe he could be a QB down the road. Now that Kyle Sheets from Conneaut Area (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5498431...2296153c405e54 ) could be a Mike P. But I am not sure if he may commit to IUP since he has other offers from Slippery Rock, Mercyhurst and PWO offers from Penn St and Ohio U.
    Thanks for posting these videos. I watched them both and very much liked what I saw.

    Regarding Luke Thomas---I have to agree with Groundhog and those who liked his tape. He moves very well and can really sling that ball around. Nice release. Plenty of big school experience as a four year starter. I see him primarily as a QB. You mentioned Mike Pietropola, yeah, I agree he is not in his mold. Pietropola's tape completely blew me away four years ago to the point that I watched it five or six times. It wasn't so much that he was an outstanding throwing QB (not bad) but what an incredible athletic specimen. His four years at IUP bear that out. He was amazing from an athletic standpoint. Thomas has the look of a QB. He may very well be worth the look as a QB to develop on IUP's depth chart.

    Kyle Sheets, now he is in that Pietropola mode. Wow! What an incredible athlete he is. He screams WR to me all the way. He could be a good one, too. He sort of seems to have that Riley Stapleton mold about him. I don't know what level ball he was playing at, but he does have a lot of athletic attributes. I probably don't see him as a QB at the D-II level just based on what small sampling we got. But I would love to see him in a Crimson jersey with his athleticism, size as a WR, KR, and who knows, maybe even running some wildcat if practicable.

    We need to get IUP24 to take a look and breakdown the tape and resume his role as the Mel Kiper Jr. of the PSAC.

    -

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    4,606
    Rep Power
    23737

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    DB. They have Samir, Justice and Duane Brown back. Help is needed on the other side.
    and how did those three backs work out last year?

  13. #93

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    The question is whether he is coming to play RB or DB? I know he's mostly played DB at Post BUT if you look closer he did get a few carries last season.
    CB and return guy for sure..NE peeps could comment heard he was electric in return game.
    .

  14. #94

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    I REALLY hope coaches are not lying to players by telling them they will be starting, especially incoming freshmen. I do believe the coaches are probably telling them they have a chance to compete for that position. But if they are lying to players then shame on them.

    And I 100% agree with you on your "seniority" comment. Especially after what happen last year I REALLY hope that all positions are wide open for competition. But that's just how it should be anyways. REALLY hope they allow the 2 current QBs to compete for the starting spot, whether they bring in a transfer or not.
    Seniority means squat, u compete with whoever shows up transfers freshman etc...Those that don't want to compete show them the door....The QB situation is fine if a transfer shows and wins job u Redshirt Davis and Wilkerson is backup, it's not rocket science....
    Just sayin

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    724
    Rep Power
    7023

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP412 View Post
    Seniority means squat, u compete with whoever shows up transfers freshman etc...Those that don't want to compete show them the door....The QB situation is fine if a transfer shows and wins job u Redshirt Davis and Wilkerson is backup, it's not rocket science....
    Just sayin
    How can you redshirt Davis? Unless he's injured before or very early in the season I thought he lost his redshirt opportunity. Does that new redshirt rule that is being used at the D-1 level also include the D-II schools?

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,879
    Rep Power
    55875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    How can you redshirt Davis? Unless he's injured before or very early in the season I thought he lost his redshirt opportunity. Does that new redshirt rule that is being used at the D-1 level also include the D-II schools?

    There’s no rule that says you can only redshirt your freshman year. He’s saying save the eligibility year for Davis like you did with Wilkerson last year while Davis served as the backup.

    You can redshirt at any year. The coaching staff said they planned to redshirt Duane Brown last year anyways prior to the academic issues.

    Regarding the new rules, people talked all last season as though that applied to Division 2. I’m almost 100% sure that’s only for Division 1. I think if you take a snap you lost the year if you aren’t at the D1 level.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #97

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    There’s no rule that says you can only redshirt your freshman year. He’s saying save the eligibility year for Davis like you did with Wilkerson last year while Davis served as the backup.

    You can redshirt at any year. The coaching staff said they planned to redshirt Duane Brown last year anyways prior to the academic issues.

    Regarding the new rules, people talked all last season as though that applied to Division 2. I’m almost 100% sure that’s only for Division 1. I think if you take a snap you lost the year if you aren’t at the D1 level.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Correct. IUP basketball routinely redshirts incoming transfers (typically as juniors).

  18. #98

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Correct. IUP basketball routinely redshirts incoming transfers (typically as juniors).
    picked up a commit at QB as well https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6121125...1b450b7818bbf5

    probably a redshirt, but who knows

  19. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    There’s no rule that says you can only redshirt your freshman year. He’s saying save the eligibility year for Davis like you did with Wilkerson last year while Davis served as the backup.

    You can redshirt at any year. The coaching staff said they planned to redshirt Duane Brown last year anyways prior to the academic issues.

    Regarding the new rules, people talked all last season as though that applied to Division 2. I’m almost 100% sure that’s only for Division 1. I think if you take a snap you lost the year if you aren’t at the D1 level.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Correct, the new 4 game redshirt rule applies to Division 1 Football only at this time (they are looking into expanding it to other Division 1 sports) ....... you can use the new redshirt rule in any year (not just freshman) as long as you have not previously redshirted.

  20. #100

    Default Re: IUP Football 2019

    Confirmed. Kiski Area LB Drew DiNunzio-Biss has committed to IUP.

Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •