Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041 LastLast

Thread: IUP Football 2019

Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    Nobody "identifies" with IUP.
    This is just dumb. Everybody who goes to the Co-op Store and buys an IUP sweatshirt or other IUP-branded item identifies with IUP. The task at hand is to get them to identify with IUP Football. Everybody already in attendance does. What you want is to increase that # by 50%.

2. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

When my sister was in the band at Cal, I thought the university did a good job using the food angle to get students to come to games.

The first home game of every year they would stop service at the dining hall. If you wanted to use your meal plan you had to come to the stadium to swipe what was the Cal equivalent to an iCard. IUP can do stuff like that, but they just choose not to.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is just wrong. I wouldn't want to see IUP do something as exploitative as that. I mean, it is first and foremost an educational institution. Plus, I think people at IUP are smarter than that. Forcing students to go to the game to eat with the meal card they purchased? Oh, ok. Let's try to keep things in perspective.

Default IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    This is just dumb. Everybody who goes to the Co-op Store and buys an IUP sweatshirt or other IUP-branded item identifies with IUP. The task at hand is to get them to identify with IUP Football. Everybody already in attendance does. What you want is to increase that # by 50%.

Come on...

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    That is just wrong. I wouldn't want to see IUP do something as exploitative as that. I mean, it is first and foremost an educational institution. Plus, I think people at IUP are smarter than that. Forcing students to go to the game to eat with the meal card they purchased? Oh, ok. Let's try to keep things in perspective.

You’re involved in a conversation that’s more or less asking people to come up with ways to increase student attendance. I provided examples of how another school in a similar situation to IUP managed to do that.

Students simply need a reason to be there. Whether it’s to eat, drink booze, or get a free t-shirt. The stadium is more accessible at IUP than it is at Cal.

“That is just wrong.” Good lord...

You’re involved in a conversation that’s more or less asking people to come up with ways to increase student attendance. I provided examples of how another school in a similar situation to IUP managed to do that.

Students simply need a reason to be there. Whether it’s to eat, drink booze, or get a free t-shirt. The stadium is more accessible at IUP than it is at Cal.

“That is just wrong.” Good lord...

why not just offer a class called Football 101 and 102, make it a required liberal studies class, and fail anyone who doesn't attend all of the home games.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    why not just offer a class called Football 101 and 102, make it a required liberal studies class, and fail anyone who doesn't attend all of the home games.

Maybe some of the guys on the football team should take that course.

To a point, this annual summer discussion is a microcosm to why nothing will ever change at IUP or why attendance/atmosphere will never get better.

You have a core group of fans over 55, most in their mid 60s and older. They’re the ones going to the games and currently donating to the program. And for the most part, with some exceptions, that’s the clientele on this message board.

People don’t like change. That’s apparent. Whether it’s getting pushback from people on this board. Or getting resistance and reasons why something can’t be done from the university. The longer this goes on, the more and more I believe that people simply don’t want to change.

Again, regardless of the idea, there’s always a reason why it’s not something that we can or should do.

*Make the all you can eat dining option for meal plans on gamedays outside the stadium - We can’t do that. It’s exploiting students.

*Get a local business to sponsor a large tailgate party outside the stadium - We can’t do that. We have a contract with Aramark.

*Make Section A of Miller Stadium a “Students Only” Section to provide students a place to stand and be involved in the game - We can’t move general admission people who paid for tickets elsewhere. That’s where they’ve always sat.

*Make kickoff times later - We can’t do that, there’s no data to support better attendance, the weather might be bad, and it might be cold late in the year.

*Allow tailgating with alcohol - We can’t do that. IUP is a dry campus. The stadium is on campus. And we don’t want a party scene at football games.

*Students need a reason to go, more “gimmicks” if you will - We shouldn’t do that. They should care because we all do. If they don’t, then screw them.

There’s more, both from the my experiences dealing with IUP as well as from on this message board, but you get the idea.

The translation - Well it’s a combination...

People at IUP will use administrative red tape and policy to explain why they can’t do something. Individuals hide behind their job description with a “it’s somebody else’s department” approach and cite union reasons as to why they can’t help. When, in reality, if they cared enough to help change it, they would.

People on this message board are resistant because they have experienced something for so long and have gotten comfortable and content with the way that it is. Most people here probably like that it’s not packed to the gills - more room to spread out. Most people probably like that it doesn’t have a more “college atmosphere,” because you probably hate that music and extracurricular stuff anyways. Most people like the noon kickoffs because it’s convenient for you - you like getting up early, going to the IUP game, and then being back on your couch to watch Penn State hang 45 on Illinois at 3:30.

There’s things that can be done, but a lot of stuff that’s possible has been met with resistance both here and with the administration at IUP.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    It was about that time that an IUP student was found dead in a campus outdoor stairwell after said imbibing.

-

I think That incident happened after Homecoming and many people believe that was foul play. Somebody out there knows the truth. That stairwell was not in a place somebody drunk would find even sober.

When my sister was in the band at Cal, I thought the university did a good job using the food angle to get students to come to games.

The first home game of every year they would stop service at the dining hall. If you wanted to use your meal plan you had to come to the stadium to swipe what was the Cal equivalent to an iCard. They basically had the food service company set up a giant tent and have a buffet that you swiped your card to get into. All the food was tailgate themed food. It was also free to any fan that bought a ticket to the game.

Something that small brought a lot of people out to the game. More students came than what probably would have and it was fun for anybody else who went there before the game.

IUP can do stuff like that, but they just choose not to. They have an answer as to why they can’t do any of this stuff. Wouldn’t be awesome if a local bar or restaurant sponsored a big tailgate like that? We discussed it. Contractually they can’t do it because of the red tape in their commitment with Aramark.

Winning a National Championship will probably be the best way to mint new fans. Everyone loves a winner.

Maybe they should just hire a “social influencer” (I can’t believe that’s a real job) to promote athletics.,I mean can’t they they make anything ordinary seem important.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    Winning a National Championship will probably be the best way to mint new fans. Everyone loves a winner.

Maybe they should just hire a “social influencer” (I can’t believe that’s a real job) to promote athletics.,I mean can’t they they make anything ordinary seem important.

Most schools have those people. Most of them have for each individual sports team. Some have multiple for major sports like football and basketball.

Need to spend the money though. IUP doesn’t want to.

There seems to be lots of agreement that more night games and tailgating would be good. Play popular music during breaks. Fine. But begging the gen z’s to show up for something that’s already free, naw, if barstool iup isn’t enough, if they let the program sink , it’s on them

12. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

I did buy in - you’re right. All the people on here have bought in. But we’re a small group. We often forget that.

People need a reason to go. I’m not a penn state fan, but I’m well aware of why the students go to the football games up there. It’s the party before and after. It’s the tailgating and the drinking. It’s an event. An event is so much more than a football game. Football is about the last reason why those students roll out of bed at 7 AM for a noon kickoff after they’ve been drinking the entire night before. There’s a handful of schools like that around the country. A handful. That’s it. There’s a lot of schools that deal with this issue even at the Division 1 level.

For as much as people discuss IUPattys and IUP’s annual homecoming, if the university allowed that kind of behavior 5 or so Saturdays every fall, there would be droves of students coming down to Miller. But they don’t want that type of environment.

The group I spent two years with working on this stuff tried to get the university to buy into the idea of creating an “event.” To IUP, they see nothing but negative energy coming from that.

We held multiple focus groups and the most common answer to the “why don’t you go to more IUP football games” question was that they would rather watch the school they grew up rooting for (Pitt, Penn State, or West Virginia). You can’t really fix that. You can try to change it, but the changes have to be enough to entice somebody to want to miss Penn State hosting Weber State.

I had several friends that went to PSU and went to a number of games with them and I would respectfully disagree that the game is the last thing the students were waking up for. Sure they drank, tailgated and had a good time, but for the vast majority, whether or not PSU won was still the most important thing. That will never be the case for IUP students and in that sense I get where the university is coming from. Allow a “Penn State” atmosphere on IUP game days and you’ll just end up with a bunch of hammered kids passed out and puking all over the bleachers.

Relaxing the rules and making game day an event would be really cool, but executing it is a fine line at IUP unless there’s a sudden surge in students who actually care who wins.

There are instances of IUP professors creating study guides for exams and handing them out in person at volleyball games. Show up to the game, you get the paper.

Many students in attendance at men's basketball games are essentially what some may refer to as groupies. Why? At IUP, basketball players are the campus celebrities. Everyone wants to be around them. Football players? Nope. I don't know how that leads to increased football attendance but I think rather I'm just stating a fact here. Instead of an influencer, maybe the football program just needs a lovable character like Devon Cottrell to stick around for six years. I will say, the IUP Football program is still only going into its third year of Tort's Make Football Fun Again Initiative after several years of Curt Cignetti's No Fun Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by hawks16 View Post
    Many students in attendance at men's basketball games are essentially what some may refer to as groupies. Why? At IUP, basketball players are the campus celebrities. Everyone wants to be around them. Football players? Nope. I don't know how that leads to increased football attendance but I think rather I'm just stating a fact here. Instead of an influencer, maybe the football program just needs a lovable character like Devon Cottrell to stick around for six years. I will say, the IUP Football program is still only going into its third year of Tort's Make Football Fun Again Initiative after several years of Curt Cignetti's No Fun Zone.
    I said years ago on here that the change was in full swing which has seen IUP go from a football school to a basketball school.

Jacobo Diaz was a rock star on campus. All those guys are. Chucky Humphries, Malik Miller, Armoni Foster ... those are the celebs on that campus.

And, the other reality is that Joe's program has just been more succesful the past decade.

Add to it the incredible run the women's basketball team has been on (two straight region titles and final fours) ... times have changed.

Joe has had very likeable players. They spend time in the community and in the local schools. People actually want to meet those guys. I saw Cobo at The Train Station in March and it was like an actual celebrity walked in ... no joke.

Joe also has some MAJOR power donors in his corner. The basketball games just are on a different level.

You can hire new ADs, etc. They work for Joe. He's the boss down there. Like it not.

The 2012 Ship game was the PSAC championship. The Bloom night game was on ESPN, -- If TV would cover the games it would make the students interested. A few others were homecoming games.

Also, some of the 2017 stats I can't believe are correct. 2509 for the west Fla game - no way.
    EXACTLY, I have sat in many games not on that list including all the 2017 playoff games that had way more peeps. Tickets sold maybe, there are a ton of freebies in that place, those attendance numbers are so inaccurate it's not worth a further discussion...just sayin

Does this look like a small crowd. This was the Millersville game. Was it SRO? No but it wasn’t empty either.

Does this look like a small crowd. This was the Millersville game. Was it SRO? No but it wasn’t empty either.
    They probably are all posters on here, and the rest are cardboard cutouts or computer generated images.

First home game, 80 degrees... of course people will come. Home opener and Homecoming are always well attended as long as the weather is good.

20. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    They probably are all posters on here, and the rest are cardboard cutouts or computer generated images.
    I'm pretty sure the guy in the middle of the picture with the All IN tee-shirt is among us.