Page 39 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: IUP Football 2019

Contribute to D2

Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    Football hasn't been using the scanners. I assume they go by ticket sales, or someone with a device at the main entrance. I'm convinced they are not counting most students the last 2 years. Students get in free so alot just walk in an no one says anything. Then like Big indians says, people come in late from the lots, not using the main entrances, and no one says anything - some have tickets some don't - go sit in the reserved sections, and note the number of people without tickets.
    I have no idea how they do it now, but when I was on campus, to get into a football or basketball game you had to have a valid iCard and they swiped it. I graduated in 2015. I was on campus for the 11-14 football seasons. I was never able to just "walk in" at the main gate as a student.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    I have no idea how they do it now, but when I was on campus, to get into a football or basketball game you had to have a valid iCard and they swiped it. I graduated in 2015. I was on campus for the 11-14 football seasons. I was never able to just "walk in" at the main gate as a student.
    Thats what you are still supposed to do, there's a table or a specific student window at the gate, students get their ID swiped, and get a GA ticket. At BB games, they stop you and scan the ticket - this gets the count. In football games, they have not been using the handheld scanners, and not really been checking student tickets. I suppose the idea is that getting more people in to see the game is more important, maybe so, but the last two years, the counts seem lower than the previous years but the crowds at the game don't seem any different. Maybe its was the temporary bleachers, or some other thing, but alot of people I've talked to had the same impression.

I think you said you were at the UWF game, what do you think about 2509. Keep in mind if section B, C and D are filled that's about 2400, I think it was way more than that.

Thats what you are still supposed to do, there's a table or a specific student window at the gate, students get their ID swiped, and get a GA ticket. At BB games, they stop you and scan the ticket - this gets the count. In football games, they have not been using the handheld scanners, and not really been checking student tickets. I suppose the idea is that getting more people in to see the game is more important, maybe so, but the last two years, the counts seem lower than the previous years but the crowds at the game don't seem any different. Maybe its was the temporary bleachers, or some other thing, but alot of people I've talked to had the same impression.

I think you said you were at the UWF game, what do you think about 2509. Keep in mind if section B, C and D are filled that's about 2400, I think it was way more than that.
    Yes, I have to remove said freeloaders from my seats every game.

I can tell you only because I've noticed it, Edinboro has a student worker at each of the two main gates with a "pitch count" clicker.

The Assumption game the week prior had more than West Florida, but I agree the 2,509 was low.

Close the freeloader gates by Zink and by the restrooms under the home bleachers, and force all entrance in to the main gate. You'll make more money and get a better number.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The Assumption game the week prior had more than West Florida, but I agree the 2,509 was low.

Close the freeloader gates by Zink and by the restrooms under the home bleachers, and force all entrance in to the main gate. You'll make more money and get a better number.
    As a safety professional, I'll say that the unchecked entrances probably can't be locked due to building codes, fire codes, or life safety laws. They can't "close" them, but they can put a person at the gate to check tickets, etc.

That creates another problem... Paying additional people to hold the fort down at those locations. And IUP doesn't want to do that. Their problems are self-inflicted.

I still don’t understand why you need gimmicks to get students to notice.

Either you are invested in your school or you aren’t. I blame the students for being the way they are. What do the Stiller’s do to make anyone go to their games? I’m sure people go to Flightless Waterfowl games other than to see Cindy dive and cry like a baby all night. They go because they are invested in Yinzerburgh sports and it represents them. Why can’t they apply that to IUP?

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post

Either you are invested in your school or you aren’t. I blame the students for being the way they are. What do the Stiller’s do to make anyone go to their games? I’m sure people go to Flightless Waterfowl games other than to see Cindy dive and cry like a baby all night. They go because they are invested in Yinzerburgh sports and it represents them. Why can’t they apply that to IUP?
    Gimmicks probably isn't the best word. They need an incentive to go.

I'd argue that the atmosphere and experience has to be better than any of the following:
    - Eating breakfast/lunch
    - Going home
    - Playing video games
    - Sleeping in past Noon
    - Watching another college football game
    - Watching Netflix or some other streaming entertainment (IUP gives free HBO streaming to all campus residents)

FWIW, Penn State played just 3 games before 3:30pm in 2018. Also, of the 10 most watched FBS games of 2018, only 2 were played before 3:30pm and we can all agree those were huge games: Michigan-Ohio State and Oklahoma-Texas (Big 12 championship).

9. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Gimmicks probably isn't the best word. They need an incentive to go.

FWIW, Penn State played just 3 games before 3:30pm in 2018. Also, of the 10 most watched FBS games of 2018, only 2 were played before 3:30pm and we can all agree those were huge games: Michigan-Ohio State and Oklahoma-Texas (Big 12 championship).
    So, as it turns out the PSAC games aren't really competing with those big time games, anyway.
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 06-11-2019 at 12:53 PM.

10. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Exactly. When you become a fan of a team and follow that team it's about adopting identity. IUP football needs young fans. They need followers. Gimmicks are gimmicks. I wouldn't discount them, but it's not clear how effective they are over a longer timeframe. There are ways to develop a fan following and I do agree that IUP should be investigating that area.
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 06-11-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Default IUP Football 2019

People don't grow up in Western PA dreaming of going to IUP. And they don't spend nearly two decades around a television with family and friends watching the football and basketball teams on the edge of their seat. Just like people in Eastern PA don't grow up hoping to go to Bloomsburg or West Chester.

Very few children were crushed when Joe Lombardi couldn't get out of the 2nd round. Around Western PA kids either grow up rooting for Pitt, spend their childhood singing Country Roads in Morgantown, WV, or were taught to worship at the alter of St. Joe. Nobody "identifies" with IUP. The university could do a better job trying to create the culture for the students on campus or even appealing more to the people in the community with young children, but when the students that attend the school have literally zero vested interest when they step foot on campus you are fighting a huge uphill battle.
    Last edited by IUP24; 06-11-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Exactly. When you become a fan of a team and follow that team it's about adopting identity. IUP football needs young fans. They need followers. Gimmicks are gimmicks. I wouldn't discount them, but it's not clear how effective they are over a longer timeframe. There are ways to develop a fan following and I do agree that IUP should be investigating that area.
    If a new restaurant offers a coupon to eat there and you enjoy your meal, are you more likely to return? Business is all about generating a returning customer.

FightingScot has long said that these programs should not charge admission to the games. And I agree. People are more likely to come with the kids or just come in general. They will still spend money on concessions, merchandise, etc. A school doesn’t “lose” money by offering free admission. Instead, they’re offering their product to a wider audience that might have otherwise never gone to a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People don't grow up in Western PA dreaming of going to IUP. And they don't spend nearly two decades around a television with family and friends watching the football and basketball teams on the edge of their seat. Just like people in Eastern PA don't grow up hoping to go to Bloomsburg or West Chester.

Very few children were crushed when Joe Lombardi couldn't get out of the 2nd round. Around Western PA kids either grow up rooting for Pitt, spend their childhood singing Country Roads in Morgantown, WV, or were taught to worship at the alter of St. Joe. Nobody "identifies" with IUP. The university could do a better job trying to create the culture for the students on campus or even appealing more to the people in the community with young children, but when the students that attend the school have literally zero vested interest when they step foot on campus you are fighting a huge uphill battle.

I get that but that speaks more about those who step on campus with that mindset than the school.

I had no idea IUP even existed until my mom stuck the brochure in front of me. But I am IUP Proud. I have been since that first foosball I attended in 1985.

I believe you are the same way. You bought into your school. You see it’s worth.

Having a bit of pride and school spirit takes such little effort to display.

If you can’t have pride in a foosball program that has had one losing season in 37 years and is the most storied in the PSAC...then no gimmick is going to do the trick.

Either you arrive invested or you don’t.

I get that but that speaks more about those who step on campus with that mindset than the school.

I had no idea IUP even existed until my mom stuck the brochure in front of me. But I am IUP Proud. I have been since that first foosball I attended in 1985.

I believe you are the same way. You bought into your school. You see it’s worth.

Having a bit of pride and school spirit takes such little effort to display.

If you can’t have pride in a foosball program that has had one losing season in 37 years and is the most storied in the PSAC...then no gimmick is going to do the trick.

Either you arrive invested or you don’t.
    I did buy in - you’re right. All the people on here have bought in. But we’re a small group. We often forget that.

People need a reason to go. I’m not a penn state fan, but I’m well aware of why the students go to the football games up there. It’s the party before and after. It’s the tailgating and the drinking. It’s an event. An event is so much more than a football game. Football is about the last reason why those students roll out of bed at 7 AM for a noon kickoff after they’ve been drinking the entire night before. There’s a handful of schools like that around the country. A handful. That’s it. There’s a lot of schools that deal with this issue even at the Division 1 level.

For as much as people discuss IUPattys and IUP’s annual homecoming, if the university allowed that kind of behavior 5 or so Saturdays every fall, there would be droves of students coming down to Miller. But they don’t want that type of environment.

The group I spent two years with working on this stuff tried to get the university to buy into the idea of creating an “event.” To IUP, they see nothing but negative energy coming from that.

We held multiple focus groups and the most common answer to the “why don’t you go to more IUP football games” question was that they would rather watch the school they grew up rooting for (Pitt, Penn State, or West Virginia). You can’t really fix that. You can try to change it, but the changes have to be enough to entice somebody to want to miss Penn State hosting Weber State.

I did buy in - you’re right. All the people on here have bought in. But we’re a small group. We often forget that.

People need a reason to go. I’m not a penn state fan, but I’m well aware of why the students go to the football games up there. It’s the party before and after. It’s the tailgating and the drinking. It’s an event. An event is so much more than a football game. Football is about the last reason why those students roll out of bed at 7 AM for a noon kickoff after they’ve been drinking the entire night before. There’s a handful of schools like that around the country. A handful. That’s it. There’s a lot of schools that deal with this issue even at the Division 1 level.

For as much as people discuss IUPattys and IUP’s annual homecoming, if the university allowed that kind of behavior 5 or so Saturdays every fall, there would be droves of students coming down to Miller. But they don’t want that type of environment.

The group I spent two years with working on this stuff tried to get the university to buy into the idea of creating an “event.” To IUP, they see nothing but negative energy coming from that.

We held multiple focus groups and the most common answer to the “why don’t you go to more IUP football games” question was that they would rather watch the school they grew up rooting for (Pitt, Penn State, or West Virginia). You can’t really fix that. You can try to change it, but the changes have to be enough to entice somebody to want to miss Penn State hosting Weber State.

I agree that they should relent on tailgating but think of why they cracked down. Students in the past ruined it because they pushed it too far. I have pictures of me totally knackered at the tailgate for Homecoming 1987. I wasn’t legal yet for another 2 months. That’s what spooks the school.

Will students go to a non alcohol tailgate. I don’t know. I’d go if they had free food now...

16. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

I agree that they should relent on tailgating but think of why they cracked down. Students in the past ruined it because they pushed it too far. I have pictures of me totally knackered at the tailgate for Homecoming 1987. I wasn’t legal yet for another 2 months. That’s what spooks the school.

Will students go to a non alcohol tailgate. I don’t know. I’d go if they had free food now...
    It was about that time that an IUP student was found dead in a campus outdoor stairwell after said imbibing.

-

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    It was about that time that an IUP student was found dead in a campus outdoor stairwell after said imbibing.

-
    'Accident' .... per some.

#R.I.P.

#total-b.s.

When my sister was in the band at Cal, I thought the university did a good job using the food angle to get students to come to games.

The first home game of every year they would stop service at the dining hall. If you wanted to use your meal plan you had to come to the stadium to swipe what was the Cal equivalent to an iCard. They basically had the food service company set up a giant tent and have a buffet that you swiped your card to get into. All the food was tailgate themed food. It was also free to any fan that bought a ticket to the game.

Something that small brought a lot of people out to the game. More students came than what probably would have and it was fun for anybody else who went there before the game.

IUP can do stuff like that, but they just choose not to. They have an answer as to why they can’t do any of this stuff. Wouldn’t be awesome if a local bar or restaurant sponsored a big tailgate like that? We discussed it. Contractually they can’t do it because of the red tape in their commitment with Aramark.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    'Accident' .... per some.

#R.I.P.

#total-b.s.

That’s long been discussed on this board. Somebody fill in a young lad as to what happened with this story.

Isn’t there a book on the matter? I’m not a reader so if anybody has read it please give me the summary.

20. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

That’s long been discussed on this board. Somebody fill in a young lad as to what happened with this story.

Isn’t there a book on the matter? I’m not a reader so if anybody has read it please give me the summary.

Yeah, I think there is a book and I believe that the incident was featured on the television show Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack some many moon ago.

The student, Jack Davis, was found in a Weyandt Hall (I think that is the one) outdoor stairwell some days after he went missing. A lot of controversy over the case.

I have no idea at all what happened.

-