Page 38 of 81 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: IUP Football 2019

Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Playoff games are always/usually the most accurately counted games of the year since the NCAA is involved and the gate determines some financial stuff.
    Add to it IUP has about 8 entrances to the stadium .... with tickets being checked at just one of them. A huge number of people don't pay to get inside.

2. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    If I am traveling to Indiana for a game, I’d prefer an afternoon game

But I’m an old guy.
    When it comes to my willingness to tolerate weather, I’m an old guy too. And I despise being too hot even more than being too cold. If I’m going to an early season game, I much prefer the cooler evenings to spending 3 hours getting beat on by the sweltering sun.

I don’t think one early season night game per year is too much to ask. You have lights, use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    When it comes to my willingness to tolerate weather, I’m an old guy too. And I despise being too hot even more than being too cold. If I’m going to an early season game, I much prefer the cooler evenings to spending 3 hours getting beat on by the sweltering sun.

I don’t think one early season night game per year is too much to ask. You have lights, use them.
    Agreed. First game of the year should be a Thursday night at every one of our schools. Every one of them except maybe West Chester is a ghost town by close of business on Friday. The weather is still nice. Make it accessible to the students who pay the freight for the program. Much less likely to be going up against a must see FBS game on a Thursday in September than a Saturday.

Any other week it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post

I agree with this. The early games could easily be at night. Sure november games at noon make alot of sense, By then, interest is either up because the teams winning, or gone if they are losing. They really should focus on that first home game more, since that's when you get people interested, students are not quite as jaded, people are still excited for football in general, a thursday night game, avoiding competition with Pitt and PSU, does good, take advantage of it.

5. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    I agree with this. The early games could easily be at night. Sure november games at noon make alot of sense, By then, interest is either up because the teams winning, or gone if they are losing. They really should focus on that first home game more, since that's when you get people interested, students are not quite as jaded, people are still excited for football in general, a thursday night game, avoiding competition with Pitt and PSU, does good, take advantage of it.
    This is exactly how IUP scheduled last year. The first game was a 6:30 Thursday night start. The next was 4pm, then a 7pm. Then they went to a 2pm and the last games were at noon. I do agree that 12pm is too early for a lot of people, myself included. However, if you start at 2pm (ideal time IMO) then by the 4th quarter late in the season it is getting dark and you might have OT so you might have to turn on the lights for a half hour. That's what major college games do at that time of day,

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Agreed. First game of the year should be a Thursday night at every one of our schools. Every one of them except maybe West Chester is a ghost town by close of business on Friday. The weather is still nice. Make it accessible to the students who pay the freight for the program. Much less likely to be going up against a must see FBS game on a Thursday in September than a Saturday.

IUP isn't a suitcase school. It bumps on weekends ... just not at sporting events.

7. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Agreed. First game of the year should be a Thursday night at every one of our schools.
    For the IUP-New Haven opener I would think travel on the UNH side of things is the primary factor. The game is scheduled for 1pm. I doubt UNH wants to play at 6/7pm and then travel on Sunday. So, there are other factors involved.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    And Notre Dame didn’t have in stadium music and a video scoreboard until 2017. When I was in South Bend for the Pitt-ND game this past season I met a lot of ND fans that told me there were big time donors and alumni that hated that changed. A lot of people were angered.

Notre Dame still did it.

Adapt or die. You have to evolve. Eventually the big money donors pumping money into the program die off. I’m not trying to sound like a jerk, but that’s reality. You have to find ways to get new fans and attract them to want to return. As they return, the hope is that they can become your next donor base. IUP doesn’t have a product that 99% of the students want to come back to after graduation. That might not matter now, but it will in potentially 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or maybe students should start giving a damn and not need to be pandered and pampered for everything.

The students seems just as guilty in not adapting.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    To be a fan, you have to care who wins. If you don't care who wins, whats the point of going to the game ? to hear the band ?(though band parents sometimes make up like 25% of the crowd) ? The difference is that the 50+ crowd cares that IUP is successful, and sees their friends at the game, its part of their identity. The 35 - 50 crowd for the most part do not care who wins, and going to IUP games does not impress your friends. There's been alot done to try and entertain kids, but the slow pace of the game is boring for them.

This.

IUP didn’t do anything to get me to every home game while I was on campus. I went because we had a winning team. Basketball sucked and I think I might have seen 2-3 games.

If Having a historically successful program isn’t enough to students into the seats, then nothing else will.

To me, it’s the attitude of the younger set that needs to change. Get over yourselves and just go support your school and make some noise.

Default IUP Football 2019

Oh...and I don’t want to hear all of the locals are too broke. S&T Bank just bought Downingtown based DNB First...so the local Indiana economy must be doing somewhat okay with an employer that has expanded into Eastern PA. Somebody is making a few coin...
    Last edited by IUPNation; 06-10-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Any other noteworthy characteristics of those games? I doubt any were playoff games.
    6 of the 10 games were homecoming

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    6 of the 10 games were homecoming

Which was the only game in 1985, 1986 and 1987 when Miller had SRO crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    Or maybe students should start giving a damn and not need to be pandered and pampered for everything.

The students seems just as guilty in not adapting.

Attendance is down across college football. All levels. Even the big boys.

But somehow Slippery Rock makes going to games as a student part of the fabric and culture of going to school there.

Attendance is down across college football. All levels. Even the big boys.

But somehow Slippery Rock makes going to games as a student part of the fabric and culture of going to school there.

Their students have control chips embedded per Dr. Evils orders. LOL!

15. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The St. Aug's game had nowhere near that number. Yet, the Thursday night Ashland game was the largest I can recall yet didn't make the list.
    The Saint Augustine 2014 home opener featured the U.S. Army Black Knights parachute team dropping in just prior to kickoff. That certainly brought a fair amount of people out. It was really cool to see. They need to incorporate more gimmicks like this to entice people there.

I agree that the 2017 Ashland home opener had to have a pretty hefty attendance. Maybe it was like those basketball games were you have a lot of people getting in for free---but the only difference was they did not show up on the official attendance tally.

-

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    The Saint Augustine 2014 home opener featured the U.S. Army Black Knights parachute team dropping in just prior to kickoff. That certainly brought a fair amount of people out. It was really cool to see. They need to incorporate more gimmicks like this to entice people there.

I agree that the 2017 Ashland home opener had to have a pretty hefty attendance. Maybe it was like those basketball games were you have a lot of people getting in for free---but the only difference was they did not show up on the official attendance tally.

-
    You mean like when all the regulars pay and all the once-a-year types get in free? Yeah, that's IUP basketball.

The way IUP handles attendance for football and men's/women's basketball is done by taking the exact number of tickets scanned at the entrances. For soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, volleyball, etc., it's literally someone counting by hand how many are in the stands. Other schools inflate their football and basketball numbers. I do know IUP takes whatever comes straight from the scanners.

I had this thought earlier today. Sure, IUP football has white outs every now and again. Would a gimmick like the Silent Night be something to try. Obviously not saying it needs to be the Silent Night, but people showed up for that event because it was...an event. IUP football games are not events.

Default IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by hawks16 View Post
    The way IUP handles attendance for football and men's/women's basketball is done by taking the exact number of tickets scanned at the entrances. For soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, volleyball, etc., it's literally someone counting by hand how many are in the stands. Other schools inflate their football and basketball numbers. I do know IUP takes whatever comes straight from the scanners.

I had this thought earlier today. Sure, IUP football has white outs every now and again. Would a gimmick like the Silent Night be something to try. Obviously not saying it needs to be the Silent Night, but people showed up for that event because it was...an event. IUP football games are not events.

We know each other man. You graduated a year after me.

We both know why the number for that Saint Augustine’s game was so high.

That was the first game of the “Hawk’s Nest.” There was an overflow of students for that game. More students than what showed up for the Shippensburg PSAC Championship game. We were shown the iCard swipes. There were over 400 more students that showed up to Saint Augustine’s. “Gimmicks” like Silent Night get students out. Unfortunately we were unable to continue the momentum from that game because, well, the play on the field changed. 2014 wasn’t a good year.

Most of the people here know I was a large organizer of trying to boost student attendance. This isn’t the basketball board, and IUPBigIndians and I have talked at length about Silent Night. He knows I was one of the organizers. He hated the premise of the game, so we disagree on it. But hey, it got people out. In droves. That’s still the largest crowd at the KCAC by a large number.

IUP doesn’t market athletics well to the student body. IUP doesn’t want to do the necessary things to make the games, football or basketball, more of an “event.” When the group I was a part of spent a full year organizing efforts for the 2014-2015 athletic year after Silent Night had success, we were met with nothing but resistance from the university. The only person seemingly open and willing to help was the director of the Co-op store, and he helped us against the wishes of his superiors.

The reality is that IUP doesn’t want “events.” The more they can eliminate large gatherings where alcohol might be present, the better. It’s up to the individual students to show up, because the university won’t do much else to provide any initiative. The grassroots effort I was involved with succeeded about as much as it could, but without full support and backing from the university, it isn’t changing.

I think the issue at play in regards to kickoff times is what will bring more students out. What can IUP football do to improve the situation since the university isn’t willing to do much more? Varying kickoff times and adding Thursday and later kicks could be a key.

Coach Cignetti actually worked with us. So did Joe Lombardi. They asked us for ideas about what might make games more exciting.

Prior to 2014, IUP’s football team didnt walk out of Memorial Field House to entrance music. Ryan Rehbolz worked with us to get Sandstorm played prior to the kickoff that year. Those are small things, but they help to eliminate the funeral home feel. That’s all stuff from the football team though. The university isn’t involved in that stuff.

Tort is more extroverted than Curt. I think he gets it in regards to social media, the kids of today, etc. I think he could help to usher in some changes to make things more appetizing for students. I’d like to see him be more engaging with students similar to Joe Lombardi. Joe is always walking around interacting with kids. There’s no secret why students seem more invested into the men’s basketball team. Joe does a great job with being a face that’s recognized on campus.

Last edited by IUP24; 06-10-2019 at 09:32 PM.

We know each other man. You graduated a year after me.

We both know why the number for that Saint Augustine’s game was so high.

That was the first game of the “Hawk’s Nest.” There was an overflow of students for that game. More students than what showed up for the Shippensburg PSAC Championship game. We were shown the iCard swipes. There were over 400 more students that showed up to Saint Augustine’s. “Gimmicks” like Silent Night get students out. Unfortunately we were unable to continue the momentum from that game because, well, the play on the field changed. 2014 wasn’t a good year.

Most of the people here know I was a large organizer of trying to boost student attendance. This isn’t the basketball board, and IUPBigIndians and I have talked at length about Silent Night. He knows I was one of the organizers. He hated the premise of the game, so we disagree on it. But hey, it got people out. In droves. That’s still the largest crowd at the KCAC by a large number.

IUP doesn’t market athletics well to the student body. IUP doesn’t want to do the necessary things to make the games, football or basketball, more of an “event.” When the group I was a part of spent a full year organizing efforts for the 2014-2015 athletic year after Silent Night had success, we were met with nothing but resistance from the university. The only person seemingly open and willing to help was the director of the Co-op store, and he helped us against the wishes of his superiors.

The reality is that IUP doesn’t want “events.” The more they can eliminate large gatherings where alcohol might be present, the better. It’s up to the individual students to show up, because the university won’t do much else to provide any initiative. The grassroots effort I was involved with succeeded about as much as it could, but without full support and backing from the university, it isn’t changing.

I think the issue at play in regards to kickoff times is what will bring more students out. What can IUP football do to improve the situation since the university isn’t willing to do much more? Varying kickoff times and adding Thursday and later kicks could be a key.

Coach Cignetti actually worked with us. So did Joe Lombardi. They asked us for ideas about what might make games more exciting.

Prior to 2014, IUP’s football team didnt walk out of Memorial Field House to entrance music. Ryan Rehbolz worked with us to get Sandstorm played prior to the kickoff that year. Those are small things, but they help to eliminate the funeral home feel. That’s all stuff from the football team though. The university isn’t involved in that stuff.

Tort is more extroverted than Curt. I think he gets it in regards to social media, the kids of today, etc. I think he could help to usher in some changes to make things more appetizing for students. I’d like to see him be more engaging with students similar to Joe Lombardi. Joe is always walking around interacting with kids. There’s no secret why students seem more invested into the men’s basketball team. Joe does a great job with being a face that’s recognized on campus.

Ahh...the Hawk's Nest. I still wear my Turn Up or Transfer shirt. Part of the allure of going to a Penn State game is the fact you can get tailgate, play some lawn games and drink some brews with friends in a cow pasture before going into the game. The game isn't the best part of the day if it's a 1 p.m. kickoff against Buffalo. But 107K still show up. For students, a noon kickoff is competing with so many other things like 1.) waking up, 2.) eating at Folger and 3.) day drinking.

Joe Lombardi is obsessed with trying to get students out to games. He hated the Silent Night because he said he thought it made his players rush and try so hard to get that 10th point. Other than that, I'm sure he loved it. 3,000 people showed up that night. For basketball, the men's team always has a billboard with its players on it. Banners on Philadelphia Street and hanging around campus. Fliers. The women's team even had its players' faces on some of the campus buses a few years back. Does the football office market like this? The IUP men's team always inflates the attendance a few games a year by hosting all of Greek life and/or the ROTC. I don't remember football games being mandatory for Greek life. The goal should be butts in seats. Which means going after the students is a smarter goal because of its untapped potential. Sure, the older alumni are the ones who donate and support the program no matter what. But what are you doing to create new alumni donors?

Quote Originally Posted by hawks16 View Post

Football hasn't been using the scanners. I assume they go by ticket sales, or someone with a device at the main entrance. I'm convinced they are not counting most students the last 2 years. Students get in free so alot just walk in an no one says anything. Then like Big indians says, people come in late from the lots, not using the main entrances, and no one says anything - some have tickets some don't - go sit in the reserved sections, and note the number of people without tickets.