Page 37 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: IUP Football 2019

Contribute to D2

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    You can say small sample size but it is the entire universe of home games last year (probably the most relevant year).

Plus, you are missing my point. If it's 29 degrees at 12 noon on November 10 what do you think it will be at 7pm, or 8pm? How many people are trudging down to GPM stadium in 16 degree weather and the snow is piling up?

You can’t make a football schedule based around weather. Especially in Western PA. Football is played in the elements. That’s part of the gig you sign up for as a player, coach, and fan.

You’re grasping at straws to prove your “this is always how it’s been done” opinion. The reality is that college football attendance is down across the board. Even at the big schools. IUP is in a unique position where, if you want to see them play, you should really go to the game - even though there are viewing streams online.

The fact is that there are three other FBS programs in Power 5 conferences that people in the area root for. If IUP and those schools are playing at the same time, 99% aren’t driving to Miller Stadium.

Differentiate yourself from the competition in terms of viewership. Play at a time when the other schools aren’t. Playing a couple Thursday games or 5:30 PM kickoffs may not help attendance significantly, but it sure won’t hurt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: IUP Football 2019

You can say small sample size but it is the entire universe of home games last year (probably the most relevant year).

Plus, you are missing my point. If it's 29 degrees at 12 noon on November 10 what do you think it will be at 7pm, or 8pm? How many people are trudging down to GPM stadium in 16 degree weather and the snow is piling up?
    November ... sure. But September and October ... turn on the lights at least once a year.

Noon games are the worst atmosphere (of all the terrible atmosphere's) at Miller.

SRU is the only school that's caught on to the simple fact later kicks draw better.

Look around the stands at those noon kicks at IUP. The average age is probably 60. The crowd makes no noise, barely cheers and it feels like a funeral home.

As mentioned earlier, the basketball atmosphere is night-and-day better than football. No comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by hawks16 View Post
    I think what would really boost attendance is if IUP opened the gravel lots on Wayne Avenue to tailgating (with alcohol).

Miller Stadium's capacity according to the 2017 media guide is 6,000. Most of those fans, in my opinion, are non-students which would make me believe that's why there are so many noon kickoffs. There are, however, somewhere in the ballpark of 12,000 students attending IUP. That shows where the emphasis is in regard to attendance.

Now consider this. At men's and women's basketball games at the (much newer and nicer) KCAC, it's a much livelier atmosphere in my opinion, which is saying something since the atmosphere at hoops games is sad. At basketball games, there's a big screen, current music being piped in to the arena, giveaways, t-shirt tosses...you name it. And an alumni suite where you can pay a large amount of money for a small amount of alcohol. At an IUP football game, you're guaranteed to at least see the band at halftime. But what if the game stinks?

I'd like to see some better marketing of the games to students and the younger generation. The game-day experience has to be more than you paying for the privilege of watching IUP play Millersville. So back to the tailgating. If you're a student living off-campus (which means you're more than likely on the north part of campus or on the other side of Philadelphia Street), you have to walk or catch the bus down to the game then invest 2.5 to 3 hours of your time there. If it's a September Saturday at 1 p.m. with 70-degree weather, where do you think a student would rather be: at a game or at a house party with friends.

Side note: I'm surprised one of the Philly Street bars hasn't tried a fifth quarter promotion or something where you get a free drink between certain hours just by presenting your game ticket. Men's basketball has or at least had the Romeo's promo where you get a free slice of pizza if the team scored over 72 points in a home game.
    Current music being piped in at the KCAC??? Were you not there when they were playing "Lady in Red" while IUP warmed up during the Atlantic Regional game against Hurst? GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    Current music being piped in at the KCAC??? Were you not there when they were playing "Lady in Red" while IUP warmed up during the Atlantic Regional game against Hurst? GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
    Please don't get me started on the music selection at the football games, whether its a band or music from the PA system. Me personally can listen to any genre of music going back 50 years, but you can't expect the younger crowd to listen to dated music for 3 hrs and expect them to come back to "support the team". They will always lose them come October and deeper into the season, every year.

They're never going to draw well on a consistent basis. The games are boring to the younger generation.

That said, it would be nice for the crowd that does show to just be more engaged. I still support the notion of moving the student section behind the team bench (first 7-8 rows).

The game down at Cal last year ... they had an atmosphere ... tons of tailgates, etc. Every time we go to SRU ... same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    I'd assume Joe got somebody fired after that stunt. If I wasn't there I wouldn't beleive it.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    How about a glass of warm milk for the home side ?

The fact is that the school is going to cater to the fans donating the money.

If you puss them off what will you have left?

The students didn’t come in 1985 either. I mean they showed up for an hour than took off at halftime. Second half’s were always played in a half empty stadium.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    The fact is that the school is going to cater to the fans donating the money.

If you puss them off what will you have left?

The students didn’t come in 1985 either. I mean they showed up for an hour than took off at halftime. Second half’s were always played in a half empty stadium.
    M

And Notre Dame didn’t have in stadium music and a video scoreboard until 2017. When I was in South Bend for the Pitt-ND game this past season I met a lot of ND fans that told me there were big time donors and alumni that hated that changed. A lot of people were angered.

Notre Dame still did it.

Adapt or die. You have to evolve. Eventually the big money donors pumping money into the program die off. I’m not trying to sound like a jerk, but that’s reality. You have to find ways to get new fans and attract them to want to return. As they return, the hope is that they can become your next donor base. IUP doesn’t have a product that 99% of the students want to come back to after graduation. That might not matter now, but it will in potentially 10 years.

9. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

How about a glass of warm milk for the home side ?
    I'd settle for a pint of stout!

10. Default Re: IUP Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    You can’t make a football schedule based around weather. Especially in Western PA. Football is played in the elements. That’s part of the gig you sign up for as a player, coach, and fan.

You’re grasping at straws to prove your “this is always how it’s been done” opinion. The reality is that college football attendance is down across the board. Even at the big schools. IUP is in a unique position where, if you want to see them play, you should really go to the game - even though there are viewing streams online.

The fact is that there are three other FBS programs in Power 5 conferences that people in the area root for. If IUP and those schools are playing at the same time, 99% aren’t driving to Miller Stadium.

Differentiate yourself from the competition in terms of viewership. Play at a time when the other schools aren’t. Playing a couple Thursday games or 5:30 PM kickoffs may not help attendance significantly, but it sure won’t hurt it.
    Seems like you are the one "grasping at straws." All I did was state my personal affinity for Saturday afternoon college football games and also question whether the time of the games would make a difference, whether that's the salient factor to home in on.

You guys are so sure of yourselves but you can't provide any proof to back up your position and now you are telling me that it "may not help attendance significantly , but it sure won't hurt" and Big Indian is telling me that probably nothing can raise attendance. If you guys want to argue, be consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    Bring Back Hot Dog Night in Indiana when they score 30! That’s why nobody goes....LOL!!!
    Always a winner.

Seems like you are the one "grasping at straws." All I did was state my personal affinity for Saturday afternoon college football games and also question whether the time of the games would make a difference, whether that's the salient factor to home in on.

You guys are so sure of yourselves but you can't provide any proof to back up your position and now you are telling me that it "may not help attendance significantly , but it sure won't hurt" and Big Indian is telling me that probably nothing can raise attendance. If you guys want to argue, be consistent.
    Norhing 'as is' in the current gameday will raise attendance. The games are boring. It would be nice to at least stay consistent in that 3,200 range and not nosedive like last season.

That core group gets older by the day and less and less are around each Fall.

All I can say is I'm in what should be the core demographic they are tying to target -- 35-44 with a family. I cannot get my kids to go to football games at IUP. They love basketball games here but football is like going to the dentist to them. I also have numerous friends in town -- who leave town every Saturday to go to Pitt or PSU games. I can't get them to IUP football games. They all say they are boring.

That core group in the 55 to 85 range ... they got them. They could play at 2am and they'd be there. It's the younger (students) and mid-age crowd they can't attract. Not ideal for a 'college' team. But, we have a band that is a lost cause in regard to football games, a 'fight song' that is horrendously awful, music from the 1940s, age-discriminating tailgates, and a boring game-day atmosphere. That likely isn't the opinion on much of the home side that still thinks it's 1992 and all is dandy.

The shame is we have a good program. That place should (could) be rocking. Not sleeping.

So, yes, nothing as is will raise attendance. Change could help. It obviously couldn't hurt.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 06-10-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Norhing 'as is' in the current gameday will raise attendance. The games are boring. It would be nice to at least stay consistent in that 3,200 range and not nosedive like last season.

That core group gets older by the day and less and less are around each Fall.

All I can say is I'm in what should be the core demographic they are tying to target -- 35-44 with a family. I cannot get my kids to go to football games at IUP. They love basketball games here but football is like going to the dentist to them. I also have numerous friends in town -- who leave town every Saturday to go to Pitt or PSU games. I can't get them to IUP football games. They all say they are boring.

That core group in the 55 to 85 range ... they got them. They could play at 2am and they'd be there. It's the younger (students) and mid-age crowd they can't attract. Not ideal for a 'college' team. But, we have a band that is a lost cause in regard to football games, a 'fight song' that is horrendously awful, music from the 1940s, age-discriminating tailgates, and a boring game-day atmosphere. That likely isn't the opinion on much of the home side that still thinks it's 1992 and all is dandy.

The shame is we have a good program. That place should (could) be rocking. Not sleeping.

So, yes, nothing as is will raise attendance. Change could help. It obviously couldn't hurt.
    To be a fan, you have to care who wins. If you don't care who wins, whats the point of going to the game ? to hear the band ?(though band parents sometimes make up like 25% of the crowd) ? The difference is that the 50+ crowd cares that IUP is successful, and sees their friends at the game, its part of their identity. The 35 - 50 crowd for the most part do not care who wins, and going to IUP games does not impress your friends. There's been alot done to try and entertain kids, but the slow pace of the game is boring for them.

For what it's worth, of the 10 highest-attended IUP home games since 2010, only one was a night game, although it was highest-attended game on the list.

Opponent Year Att. Time
    Bloomsburg 2011 5,697 7 p.m.
    Mercyhurst* 2010 4,861 2 p.m.
    Shippensburg 2012 4,576 2 p.m.
    Slippery Rock 2010 4,433 1 p.m.
    Millersville* 2013 4,237 2 p.m.
    Slippery Rock* 2016 4,231 2 p.m.
    Saint Augustine's 2014 4,059 Noon
    California* 2017 4,019 2 p.m.
    Slippery Rock* 2012 3,912 2 p.m.
    Slippery Rock* 2018 3,700 2 p.m.

* -- Homecoming game

Any other noteworthy characteristics of those games? I doubt any were playoff games.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Any other noteworthy characteristics of those games? I doubt any were playoff games.
    The 2012 Ship game was the PSAC championship. The Bloom night game was on ESPN, -- If TV would cover the games it would make the students interested. A few others were homecoming games.

Also, some of the 2017 stats I can't believe are correct. 2509 for the west Fla game - no way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    The Shippensburg game in 2012 was the PSAC championship game. Other than that, it's hard to say. SRU usually brings a decent number of fans to games at IUP, so that could contribute to those totals.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    Also, some of the 2017 stats I can't believe are correct. 2509 for the west Fla game - no way.
    Yeah, that number seems low. But you have to remember there was practically zero student turnout since the NCAA doesn't allow them in for free like they do in the regular season. I think the IUP Co-op bought tickets for students, but not many came out, IIRC.

The St. Aug's game had nowhere near that number. Yet, the Thursday night Ashland game was the largest I can recall yet didn't make the list.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    Playoff games are always/usually the most accurately counted games of the year since the NCAA is involved and the gate determines some financial stuff.